Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Cigarettes are the devil... > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3645 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Which catergory do you fall into?
This poll has no expiration.
I love cigarettes and will smoke no matter how much they increase in price! Vote in poll to view results
I smoke, and would quit if cigarettes rose above 10 dollars a pack in my area. Vote in poll to view results
I used to smoke, but I successfully quit. Vote in poll to view results
I have quit, but I relapse shortly afterwards. Vote in poll to view results
I never started. Vote in poll to view results
Modify Poll
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
(Originally posted on: 03-28-09 07:49:05 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Cigarettes are by the hardest addiction I have dealt with in my life - and this is coming from someone who has been strung out on coke, acid, and ecstasy for years. Compared to the urges and cravings that I get for nicotine, coke pales in comparison.

Have any of you tried to stop smoking? If so, do you have any pointers?

I smoked roughly a pack a day of Newports (lolracism) and spent on average of 120 dollars a month on this carcinogenic habit. This is unacceptable in my mind.

I don't really want to take medication to stop - most of the ones I have researched have strange side effects. I am on day three, and I have smoked a grand total of 3 cigarettes since I decided to cut back and quit. I am trying to ween myself off slowly.

So far I have noticed mood swings, jitters, and lack of concentration in myself. I am sure its going to get worse before it gets better too.
It is what it is...
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 08:25:03 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I never took it up. I guess I never really saw the benefeit. I'm very glad I didn't now.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 09:11:04 AM)

My mom just recently quit smoking (it's been two months now) and I have to admit, watching what she was going through for the first 2-3 weeks was incredibly difficult for me, so I can only imagine what she was going through. She was having mood swings, loss of appetite, anxiety attacks, heightened blood pressure, and a variety of other awful side effects.

The first two weeks are the worst to endure, then the effects start to decrease steadily, but are still uncomfortable. After about four weeks, you are done and then you enter the world of having to fight a psychological addiction, which in some ways is almost worse than the physical manifestation of the addiction. You literally have to WANT to quit, because if you don't truly want to quit, you will find it easy to say, "eh, one more cigarette won't hurt," and the cycle begins again until you find yourself five years from now trying to quit again.

My advice: as difficult as it is, quit cold turkey. If you ween yourself off slowly, you're only prolonging the detox. It's a personal choice though between either a prolonged mild (I use this term loosely) detox or a quick excruciating detox. The choice is yours.

I suggest quitting cold turkey. That's what my mom did and that's what I did. Frankly, if the will to quit is there, overcoming the psychological addiction is easy, so you just need to convince yourself that the physical pangs are temporary.
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 09:24:45 AM)

I tried to quit once, worst 24 hours of my life
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 09:29:16 AM)

http://1800quitnow.cancer.gov/

This is a free service that will help you quit smoking. They will help you establish a quit date and create a program to help you quit and stay cigarette-free. Additionally, sometimes they will provide free products (e.g. nicotine patches, gums, lozenges) as anti-smoking aids.

There are also prescription aids (Zyban, Chantix - I prefer Chantix because it actually takes the pleasure out of smoking and has relatively less side effects). Chantix is expensive and usually not covered by insurance (although it should be because quitting smoking helps lower your risk of disease you'd otherwise be at high risk for if you continued to smoke), but it is roughly ~$120, which is the same amount you'd be spending otherwise on smokes and typically you are on it for 3 months (up to 6 months). However, it is a pretty effective drug.

Cold turkey may be an option, but your success is highly determinant on how addicted you are to nicotine and how motivated you are to quit.
if you have time to read my sig you have time to post in my forum
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 10:05:42 AM)

What made you guys start smoking in the first place? I'm curious to know, because we live in a time when everyone knows the risks, yet people still pick it up.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 10:08:51 AM)

For me it was boredom, there's not much to do in North Bumfuck Maine.

As for risks....meh, risks don't stop people from baking their selves in a tanning salon
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:14:05 AM)

Yeah but... tanning actual has tangible results. You know, being tan. I always just chewed gum out of boredom.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:22:02 AM)

Yes, with tanning it's a risk/reward thing. "boys will think I'm prettier" tends to have quicker, more visible results than "Oh Crap I'll get Melanoma by thirty".
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:27:07 AM)

I never really took up smoking. Sometimes I might bum a cigarette off of a friend and smoke it, but I've never really gotten addicted to it.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:37:50 AM)

I started smoking toward the end of high school, mostly because I had a bunch of friends who smoked and after months of non-smoking, I said, "you know what, let me try one of those, see what it's all about." I actually enjoyed it at first, but then quickly it became one of those things I did just because.

I didn't smoke through Basic Training simply because I couldn't, but I did think to myself every single day, "I can't wait until I can have another cigarette." And on my first day out of Basic, went right back to it. While in the military though, smoking was almost a necessity to deal with not only boredom (unlimited breaks throughout the day), but also the stress levels. Especially in Iraq. Oddly enough, I knew plenty of people who only smoked while in Iraq, but didn't smoke at all while in the States.

I didn't even quit intentionally. I bought a new car and decided not to smoke in it, because I didn't want it to smell like smoke. Then a few weeks later, I realized I couldn't even remember the last time I smoked a cigarette, so I decided to just not go back and I haven't smoked since. It's been just over two years now.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:42:31 AM)

I imagine most people take up smoking as teenagers, because it's cool and something new and exciting to do and what not, and risks don't really come very high in your priorities list at that age. For others, they just tried it and liked it.
Quote:
I didn't even quit intentionally. I bought a new car and decided not to smoke in it, because I didn't want it to smell like smoke. Then a few weeks later, I realized I couldn't even remember the last time I smoked a cigarette, so I decided to just not go back and I haven't smoked since. It's been just over two years now.

Many people tell stories similar to that, which makes me think the psychological addiction is, perhaps, a bit of a social construct. Everybody talks about how hard it will be, so smokers perhaps convince themselves it's that hard and that they're that addicted to it.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:52:34 AM)

In some regards, psychological addiction is a social construct, especially if you frequent bars or are constantly around people who also smoke. In such cases, whether or not you are legitimately psychological addicted is really of no consequence, since the company you keep will likely send you back on the path toward smoking. In such a case, it's easy to rationalize it as psychological addiction instead of just because you aren't exactly Mr. Willpower.

For some people though, the psychological addiction stems not necessarily from the actual cigarettes, but from either oral fixation or it just being a longstanding habit.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:54:14 AM)

Quoted from szaukjkjit:
I imagine most people take up smoking as teenagers, because it's cool and something new and exciting to do and what not, and risks don't really come very high in your priorities list at that age. For others, they just tried it and liked it.
Quote:

Many people tell stories similar to that, which makes me think the psychological addiction is, perhaps, a bit of a social construct. Everybody talks about how hard it will be, so smokers perhaps convince themselves it's that hard and that they're that addicted to it.

I am well aware that they are bad for me, and my body tells me every morning when I wake up and cough for 20 minutes.

The problem is that they are so ingrained into my daily routines that it leaves me always reaching for them. I wake up, and I want to smoke a cig because it is what I am used to doing. If I am in my car with the window down, I want to smoke because it is what I am used to doing. It just seems unnatural to me to NOT do it.

Chemically, I am definitely a goner. Like I said before - I feel strange if I don't smoke. I get shakes and get scatterbrained. When your body is used to a constant stream of nicotine (1 cigarette an hour) and you suddenly remove it the effects are more than noticeable.
It is what it is...
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 12:06:53 PM)

Yeah, those nicotine products I mentioned earlier will definitely help you wean off so your withdrawal won't be so bad. And they can help you remove the association between smoking and some of your daily activities. For example, instead of waking up and grabbing a cigarette, you can chew a piece of nicotine gum straight out of bed. And there are different stages of these products so that you can initially get a higher dose of nicotine, and as the weeks pass, you can gradually get smaller doses until eventually you stop the product completely.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 04:17:05 PM)

Zippo (or anyone else), what is your opinion of using hypnosis to quit? My father has been smoking for almost 35 years, pack a day, and wants to quit, is it sucessful? He's tried both drugs you said Zippo but they clash with his other meds.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 04:40:13 PM)

Alternative therapies such as hypnosis or acupuncture have been shown to work for some people. There has been some mixed evidence supporting its use. It's worth a shot if he has tried other methods (such as nicotine replacement therapy) or is unable to use them.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 05:35:08 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Zippo (or anyone else), what is your opinion of using hypnosis to quit? My father has been smoking for almost 35 years, pack a day, and wants to quit, is it sucessful? He's tried both drugs you said Zippo but they clash with his other meds.

Try eugenics; it has a 100% success rate from what I have heard.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 06:21:41 PM)

My thinking is that alternative therapies like acupuncture function on pretty much the same level as what Sukkit proposed about the addictive factors; if you believe it will help you, it probably will.

edit: since this is my first post in this thread, I'll comment on saying that I'm not a smoker and have only smoked half-cigarettes up to now, but I'm entirely unopposed to the idea of smoking cigarettes. Majority of my friends have smoked, and I've gotten quite used to the smell of second-hand smoke (almost come to enjoy it), and although I don't feel much urge to pick up the habit, I completely understand and sympathize with the need to do so.

And aside from that, smoking in general is a pretty sociable outlet. It relaxes the nerves, and anytime you put a large group of people in a confined space that are all relaxing their nerves simultaneously (ie like the "smokers pit" for office buildings or bars whatever), it's prone to spark social contact. Smokers are among the most social people in the world. Go outside at a bar where the smokers are and ask to borrow a lighter, and you're guarenteed to start a conversation.

Not to mention the general satisfaction of smoking I AM A NINJA!

So I see it's benefits and draws, but I've never decided to pick up the habit. I've contemplated it before, but always decided that I didn't want to commit myself to yet another weekly expense. I still enjoy a good cigar, and oh man if you can bring me some quality pipe tobacco, I'm your friend for life because that show is honey.

double edit: and hoookahhh?? don't even get me started. words cant really express how i feel about hookah big grinreamy:
This reply was last edited on 03-28-09 06:29:19 PM by poop.
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 06:56:34 PM)

Quoted from 600,000 dollar man:

double edit: and hoookahhh?? don't even get me started. words cant really express how i feel about hookah big grinreamy:

Fuck yes. Shisha is the shit.
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 08:09:39 PM)

Yeah, except each hookah session (approx 45 min to 1 hr) is equivalent to smoking like 50 cigs. So have fun with that. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS I practically grew up on hookah (me and the Arab friends would sit outside and smoke it in the backyard) so I try not to do it as much anymore now that I know how bad it actually is.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 07:21:06 AM)

I've been smoking for a good few years now which is quite strange to think about. It's always been more of a social thing then something I feel addicted too. I only smoke rollups, normal cigs make me feel sick, they smell so much worse, they're really expensive and they burn far too quickly.

Coming up to exams I tend to smoke a lot more, obviously the stress has something to do with it but popping outside for a smoke it THE most perfect way to have a break from work, it feels like you've done something but it doesn't last long enough for you to get distracted and loose your mindset.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 03:31:29 PM)

I smoke, but I'm quitting once my new insurance kicks in and I can get Chantix.

4 years of smoking is about 4 years too long, even if I do love each little puff.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Dio

rebel rebel

Ballkicks: (+105 / -50)
Reg. Date: Aug 2006
Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 06:30:35 PM)

I'll smoke a cigarette here, and there, but I've never bought a pack or been addicted to them.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 06:39:20 PM)

I smoke cigarettes on random odd occasions. Like about a month ago I was getting to know someone, and they wanted to have a cigarette but no one else smoked so I had one with them so they wouldn't be hanging out alone. These random smoking situations are pretty rare in my life, so i've never felt anything close to addiction.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3645 | Total Posts: 52 ]