Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Bitching Battleground: The God Damned TV Channel > What the fucking fuck Martin?!? (Fantasy author, George R.R. Martin) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 7188 | Total Posts: 57 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-26-09 01:28:08 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Back in 2007 my brother handed me a book entitled "A Game of Thrones" and told me to read it. I trust my brother's literary advice so I read it. Then I read the next one, and the next one, until I finished A Feast of Crows hungering for more. The copy I had said the next book "A Dance with Dragons" was forthcoming. Since Crows was published in '05 and here I was reading it in '07 I decided to check and see if it was out. Unfortunately it wasn't but my local library had already begun taking holds on it which means it's near to release. So I jumped in line near the top and began to wait. That was last year.

Every month or so I ask my mom (who works at said library) "Is it out yet?!" No. Today I decided to check his website. IT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED IN OVER A YEAR! How long does it take to write one (granted very large) book?! Especially since Crows and Dragons were once one book that he had to split into two. Shouldn't they have been released close together? All I've heard is rumors of failing health and writer's block which makes me VERY UNHAPPY.

If this man dies with the series unfished I will go apoplectic and probably die of massive cranial bleeding.
Nun: Sister Augustine believes in things that aren't real.
House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

Dr. House: Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.

Eve: Abortion is murder.
Dr. House: True. It's a life and you should end it.
Eve: Every life is sacred.
Dr. House: Come on. Talk to me. Don't quote me bumper stickers.
Eve: It's true.
Dr. House: It's meaningless.
Eve: It means that every life matters to God.
Dr. House: Not to me. Not to you. Judging by the number of natural disasters, not to God either.

This reply was last edited on 08-27-09 11:37:18 AM by D.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 1 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 01:57:18 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

just_dandy
INTL Premium Member
Unapologetic apostate approaching her apotheosis, how apropos

Ballkicks: (+130 / -4)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 2 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 02:02:09 PM)

Quote:
A Dance with Dragons is the fifth of seven planned novels in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by American author George R. R. Martin. Although some publishers have listed provisional release dates, Martin has indicated that no release date will be set until the book is finished, which he is hoping to accomplish by June, 2009.[1]

There's hope!

also

# A Game of Thrones (1996)
# A Clash of Kings (1998)
# A Storm of Swords (2000)
# A Feast for Crows (2005)

he never has been very speedy.
Koalas have sharp claws but they are weak. They all small and fat and they be climing trees. I hope a storm just come while theyjust chilling up in the tree thinking they is hard and they're will all just fall off. They just break they neck and shit. When they fall they claws are going to fall off and they going to be crying like some little bitches.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 02:02:34 PM)

every night i masturbate to the thought of george rr martin dying and leaving a song of ice and fire unfinished
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 4 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 03:03:07 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
every night i masturbate to the thought of george rr martin dying and leaving a song of ice and fire unfinished

You're a sick bastard.

Dr. House: Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart.

Dr. House: Not to me. Not to you. Judging by the number of natural disasters, not to God either.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 5 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 03:10:02 PM)

I've not read one of these books before. I assume there is something about them that separates them from normal fantasy junk for you to hold them in such high regards.

What do you like about them FA?
It is what it is...
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 6 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-26-09 03:29:37 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
I've not read one of these books before. I assume there is something about them that separates them from normal fantasy junk for you to hold them in such high regards.

What do you like about them FA?

The plot! There's serious fucking story-telling going on in these books. No flimsy bullshit standard fantasy plot about one singular evil that needs vanquished by the golden hero. It's not black and white. There are definite shades of grey in every character. And that characters are very richly developed. When he kills some off you feel it. You sit there staring at the book in shock. Even with me telling you it's going to happen you will not see it coming. But it's not bullshit character offing either. It's not "oh there goes hero A and OMG AN OGRE KILLS HIM ALL OF A SUDDEN." The deaths are well thought out and drive the story along. It's not Martin trying to be edgy by killing people. (Like Joss Whedon killing off Wash in Serenity WHAT THE FUCK BULLSHIT)

I love books with appendixes to help you sort out all the different players. That tells you it's a richly detailed world. In this book there are like a dozen houses which are part of this kingdom each house with it's own main characters. I can keep track of it but my friends complained of getting lost or mixed up.

The world is fascinating as well. What originally hooked me was the idea of a world where seasons last years or decades. And winter is coming...That's a common theme throughout the book. The impending winter.

In all seriousness it's my generation's Tolkien.

FUCK I have to re-read these books now.

goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-27-09 07:25:46 AM)

If he dies with the book unfinished it'll make a great film.

He will be like a main character in one of his books, unexpected but crucial to the plot. What a bad winter that would be.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 8 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-27-09 09:32:16 AM)

I managed to get Sukkit into reading these, and now he shares our consternation at Martin's failing health and the frequently pushed-back release date for Dragons. Right now it's, theoretically, going to be finished by summer and out by Fall 2010.

Of course, he's still got Wolves and Spring after that...

So basically I've resolved myself to knowing he'll never complete them. Although with his relatively extensive collection of notes I suppose someone else he deigns to leave as a successor could do so.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 9 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-27-09 02:12:22 PM)

Quote:
I managed to get Sukkit into reading these

You didn't! This friend of mine had been telling me to read them for ages, and as soon as I got the books, I told her. Currently we're having one massive discussion about what might happen in the next book, if it's ever published.
Maybe it will, but I'm not sure we'll see the end of the series.

Anyway, it's like FA explained. It's not cheap fantasy, it's actually well written, it's original, well thought-out, etc. I realize fantasy is not a very respected genre, but every now and then someone does it right.
Zippo: oh man you are a genius
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-27-09 04:35:43 PM)

Quote:
How long does it take to write one (granted very large) book?!

Be glad he doesn't pump books out a year at a time, they would probably suck if he did.
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 11 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 08:47:41 AM)

I felt the same way about the Dark Tower series when Stephen King got hit by a car.

Then I read the rest of the series and wished he had never finished them. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
It is company policy not to release this information.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 12 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 10:52:06 AM)

I'm all for his old schedule. One book every two years is absolutely acceptable. However, when you're going on five years for a book you already had half written when you released the last one which had taken five itself, that's getting absurd.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 13 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-28-09 11:46:34 AM)

Well, just look at Tolkien!
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 14 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-29-09 09:16:50 AM)

At least Tolkien finished the important stuff...
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 15 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-31-09 07:21:31 AM)

Strongly disagreed. Don't make me summon Sunny.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 16 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-31-09 11:05:44 AM)

Quoted from szaukjkjit:
Strongly disagreed. Don't make me summon Sunny.

Agreed.

MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 17 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-31-09 11:48:49 AM)

Obsessive kids...
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 18 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-31-09 12:05:32 PM)

Obsessive? Ha. It's a good read, and the history buff in me likes to know the backstory. I've only recently bothered to learn more than the basics.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 19 of 57 (Originally posted on: 03-31-09 12:11:46 PM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
Obsessive kids...

Show some respect to your elders, kiddo.

I haven't discussed Ice and Fire for days now. I feel a void.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 20 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-19-09 07:15:41 PM)

Compare his books to LOTR, please.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 21 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-20-09 07:21:15 AM)

if this motherfucker dies, im going to hunt him down and will murder whatever is left after dying.

I feel it should be illegal to publish any books in a series, unless the entire series is ready to be published.
Wireless Muppet, of Strings and Ribbonwax
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 22 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-25-09 04:40:16 PM)

Quoted from wheezy:
Compare his books to LOTR, please.

LOTR is better than SOIAF, true. But not by much. And SOIAF isn't completed yet. I re-read LOTR a few years ago when the movies came out and the story just felt old-fashioned and antiquated. Probably because they were written so damn long ago. SOIAF doesn't suffer from that problem, to me. When I read LOTR I wasn't constantly excited to see what was going to come next. The books are slow, to be honest. Not Robert Jordan-bore-me-to-tears slow but slow. SOIAF kept me constantly excited to see what was going to come next. I didn't know what was going to happen. When I read LOTR (even when I read it the first time) I knew that Frodo was going to make it and that good would win. It had the classic fantasy architecture. Big Evil comes rampaging and the Good Guys suffer a couple predictable losses but eventually triumph (in fact I originally expected Samwise would die somewhere near the end). Not so with SOIAF. I don't know if "good" will win. You don't even know what side is the "good" side in this series. There are four or five, maybe six different sides you could root for here. It makes it seem much more realistic. It doesn't have the polarizing EVIL vs. GOOD that LOTR and other fantasy books have. That's the best I can explain it.

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 23 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-25-09 04:51:56 PM)

Agreed, except that you kind of make it sound like that's a flaw of LOTR when actually it's just that it follows different literary conventions that are rooted in the Middle Ages, unlike SOIAF which is thoroughly modern in its vision of the world.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 24 of 57 (Originally posted on: 05-07-09 02:04:56 PM)

Yeah well I said I was bad at explaining shit.

UPDATE: I just read an awesome book by the genius L.E. Modesitt called Imager. Very good fantasy set in a Victorian-style city with civil-war era technology. Very unique and original book except for the old "ordinary dude thrust into crazy shit" plot. But hey go with what works.

Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7188 | Total Posts: 57 ]