Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > INTL bikechat > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 9125 | Total Posts: 114 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-21-09 01:45:25 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've been meaning to make this thread for a while. I know a couple of you bike and I thought it'd be cool to have a thread where we talk about bikes here

San Francisco has a pretty strong bike culture and since moving here I've gotten into it more than I ever have before. I bought this bike from this place down the street that sells stolen bicycles.

I don't actually know anything about the brand AMX, but it's an aluminum frame and is quite light. It's a little small for me, but when I was buying it I didn't know anything about bikes at all and I'm pretty happy with it overall. I got it for 300 bucks even after they changed out the pedals and the stem. It seems like a pretty good deal, bike prices in San Francisco are really inflated relative to other places around here, but I don't have a car so I kind of had to suck it up.

show me your bikes. Does anyone here ride a fixed gear?
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 01:59:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Even if the frame is a bit too small it won't really matter unless your mile count per year is in the high thousands, I think. I'm not familiar with AMX, but I'm afraid I've lost touch with the industry the last few years.

I never rode much in urban areas, I don't use it as a means of transportation. Madrid is a TERRIBLE place to ride a bike, so I never tried.

I have an old and ridiculously heavy BH mountain bike. I'd get a new one, but I can only ride in the summer, when I go to my father's village, and starting this year it looks like I won't be able to do it anymore, so I think my bike days are over until I can afford to drive to the mountains in the weekends for a ride (but I don't even have a driver license yet).
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 2 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 01:59:54 PM)

Wait, you have an awesome post-college job and can't afford an automobile?

I used to bicycle myself a lot to get to school, but as of late I don't because my old one is being held hostage of my mother's house and I don't have as much time or abmition to as I did. That said, bicycling is on par with running as a great way to explore the local fauna. In California, there should be miles of coastline with relatively little traffic that you could breeze down.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 3 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:04:15 PM)

Yeah, there are tons of good biking spots around here.

I don't have a car because I don't really need one. I work about a mile away from my house and I bike there every day. Everything else is within walking distance of where I live. Being that I don't have a garage, a car would be a huge inconvenience, all the streets around here have street cleaning thee or four days a week and parking tickets are around 80 bucks.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 4 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:04:36 PM)

I would kill for a decent bike.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 5 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:13:39 PM)

I used to bike on Saturdays with my sister during high school and some of undergrad. I had a BMX, and she had an old school Schwinn from the 80s. One time this guy tried to steal her bike, but my mom started chasing him and yelling at him in Arabic, and that was enough to scare him into dropping the bike and running off.

Anyway, we used to bike a good 50 miles on a given day through the historic neighborhoods of Miami and through downtown. It was pretty nice.

We got busier so we stopped biking, and we recently found out that our dad donated our bikes to Goodwill to make more room in the garage for his tools. *sigh*
if you have time to read my sig you have time to post in my forum
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 6 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:26:23 PM)

I don't know how to ride a bike.

*sigh*
Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 7 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:30:21 PM)

San Francisco sucks for cars. I'd ride a bike everywhere if I lived there too.
It is company policy not to release this information.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 8 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 02:59:06 PM)

I bike these days mostly for excercise, but I also use it sometimes as transportation when the weather is nice or if I want to kill two birds with one stone and get exercise while running errands.

My current bike is a Giant Sedona. I've had a series of Giant bikes over the last decade (The first two were Boulders), usually because it's been cheaper to buy a new Giant with the replacement discount (usually runs me between $175-$200). I'm considering getting something a little more durable for my next bike, though.

And with that, I'm going for a ride right now because the weather is gorgeous!
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 9 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 03:17:46 PM)

I bike to work, or to the shuttle to get to work, and to go anywhere else within reasonable distance I need to go. I fill in the details later.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 10 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 03:45:03 PM)

I grew up biking nearly every day in the summertime with friends, and it was always the primary means of transportation until everyone got licenses.

Since then, I use it for transportation here at University when I don't want to take the bus, and I biked basically every day to and from work (roughly an hour total) for four months. It killed my ankles and shins but I dropped 20lbs of beer weight from it (which I promptly put right back on when school started again).

I've been on and off planning a camping/bike trip from Kingston to Ottawa via the old removed train tracks that they made into a trail for years now. Don't know when I can get around to it, but it's still on the board for now.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 11 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 06:09:40 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
I don't know how to ride a bike.

i'm a serial-killer :)

Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart

Purple: Amphy, scratch my neckfat
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 06:50:46 PM)

I haven't ridden a bike since I was something like 12 and raced bmx.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 13 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 07:38:17 PM)

Stormraider that sounds like an awesome trail.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 14 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 07:48:37 PM)

Red: I'd bike if I was going somewhere in here.
Gray: I'd bike, but probably take the subway.
Maroon: Home/work.

-Wandering Idiot
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 15 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 09:38:38 PM)

It seems like a pretty awesome trail, yah. Our plan was to just carry enough water to get from place to place, grab food in diners, sleep off the path in tents, etc.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 16 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-21-09 10:19:35 PM)

I biked pretty much all through high school, until some group of assholes stole my $500 Specialized Rockhopper.

This is basically what it looked like before it was jacked:

Except it was red. A prime target for theft I guess.
őjust dandyŤ but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
őPurpleŤ If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
őjust dandyŤ ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
Stoffel

Reply 17 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 04:40:48 AM)

Quote:
In California, there should be miles of coastline with relatively little traffic that you could breeze down.

lol. there is no place in coastal california with little traffic.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 18 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 09:34:10 AM)

Quoted from Stoffel:
Quote:
In California, there should be miles of coastline with relatively little traffic that you could breeze down.

uhh nope you're completely wrong
Stoffel

Reply 19 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 10:07:16 AM)

Quoted from take it sleazy:
Quoted from Stoffel:
Quote:

uhh nope you're completely wrong

um, no, actually I'm not. By Texas standards, there is always a lot of traffic everywhere that I went from SD to SB.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 20 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 10:17:59 AM)

You picked literally the most populated place in California for your sample, nice work
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 21 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 11:03:40 AM)

How much did your bikes cost ice?
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 11:21:55 AM)

Quoted from Snook:
How much did your bikes cost ice?
I only have one bike, the one in the background belongs to one of my roommates. Mine was 300 bucks but prices are pretty inflated around here, it's possible to get a nice road bike for cheaper than that.
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 23 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 11:28:47 AM)

don't buy stolen bikes

also, i have a fixie with a bento box bolted to the back

zippo-chan is my new samurai graduate......if anyone objects, speak now and forever rest in peace
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 114 (Originally posted on: 03-22-09 11:50:50 AM)

lemme see yo fixie
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9125 | Total Posts: 114 ]