Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Would you ever consider joining the military? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 ] [ Thread Views: 31350 | Total Posts: 256 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Would you, or have you, ever considered joining the military
This poll has no expiration.
I have served in the military (Yes) Vote in poll to view results
I have not served, but have or would consider it (Yes) Vote in poll to view results
Have never served, have not and likely will not ever consider it (No) Vote in poll to view results
Have not served, have considered it, but currently would not accept it as an option (for reasons other then age) (No) Vote in poll to view results
Modify Poll
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-19-09 06:29:09 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Seems to me that more people are teetering on, or have teetered on this decision then I would expect.

For me, for whatever reason, i've always considered the military to be at best an extreme last resort, but more realistically a non-option all together. Maybe this has something to do with my parents, maybe I saw the wrong movies growing up, but for whatever reason, I don't consider it an option. I know plenty of others are like me as well, but I think I might be surprised at the amount of people who aren't.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 06:35:29 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Was almost in the marines, but when we decided a war with Iraq was a good choice I decided the marines weren't. I'm really more of a fair weather soldier.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 2 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 06:50:58 AM)

Yep.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
rude bwoy
skarmory is my favorite pokemon wink wink

Ballkicks: (+4 / -0)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 3 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 06:53:22 AM)

i plan on joining the us navy in a year or so. i don't have much direction in life and little interest in anything but that future-wise.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 4 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 07:20:17 AM)

I would never join the military, for ideological reasons.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 5 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 07:45:08 AM)

Same reason as Sukkit.
If some magical WW2 style scenario arose, then okay, but otherwise not a chance.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 6 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 08:07:10 AM)

Quoted from Dimi :

For me, for whatever reason, i've always considered the military to be at best an extreme last resort, but more realistically a non-option all together.

That sums up my position.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 7 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 08:27:01 AM)

What is this thread? A rebuttal to the one I created in the secret forum?

Quoted from dimi:
For me, for whatever reason, i've always considered the military to be at best an extreme last resort, but more realistically a non-option all together. Maybe this has something to do with my parents, maybe I saw the wrong movies growing up, but for whatever reason, I don't consider it an option. I know plenty of others are like me as well, but I think I might be surprised at the amount of people who aren't.

Amazing, isn't it? Some young people now-a-days aren't the pretentious bleeding-heart liberals that the media has tried its best to mold us into. Really, I think it is a joke that so many people like you exist, Dimi, to feed off of the security that the military grants you while not acknowledging them as perhaps the single most important agent that allows the comfortable modern lifestyle that we all enjoy.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
This reply was last edited on 03-19-09 08:32:33 AM by atlas sighed (at me).
just_dandy
INTL Premium Member
Unapologetic apostate approaching her apotheosis, how apropos

Ballkicks: (+130 / -4)
Reg. Date: Jun 2006
Reply 8 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 08:52:38 AM)

I seriously considered joining the Navy after high school. I came up with other plans eventually (after my parents completely went ballistic, screaming "RAAAAAAAAAPEEEEE!" a lot) but it's definitely not a non-option. Sometimes I regret not joining, really.
Koalas have sharp claws but they are weak. They all small and fat and they be climing trees. I hope a storm just come while theyjust chilling up in the tree thinking they is hard and they're will all just fall off. They just break they neck and shit. When they fall they claws are going to fall off and they going to be crying like some little bitches.
Gais
going hog wild

Ballkicks: (+2 / -2)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 9 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 08:54:20 AM)

I have been there, and done that.

Thanks, mandatory male conscription at age 18!

Oh, and to actually answer the question - no, I would never even consider joining up voluntarily.
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 09:12:40 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
What is this thread? A rebuttal to the one I created in the secret forum?

Quoted from dimi:

Amazing, isn't it? Some young people now-a-days aren't the pretentious bleeding-heart liberals that the media has tried its best to mold us into. Really, I think it is a joke that so many people like you exist, Dimi, to feed off of the security that the military grants you while not acknowledging them as perhaps the single most important agent that allows the comfortable modern lifestyle that we all enjoy.

You are a god damn fuck-head. Not everything is about you, piece of shit. We talked about military in the chat and I was just surprised as to how many people were considering it.

Where in my post did you find an air of condescension or pretentiousness, where did you find any implication that I was in any way a 'bleeding-heart' OR a liberal? What implied that I do not appreciate the importance of the military or those who serve? Fuck you you self centered prick. Why is it that Chimp and the others who talked about joining the military in this thread saw no foul in my question? Probably because they actually read it.

Go to hell. Go to hell. Get out of my thread.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 11 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 09:32:25 AM)

Quoted from dimi:
implied that I do not appreciate the importance of the military or those who serve?

Blah blah blah

I respect the military but would never join it because they are against my morality for being fascist baby-killers.

Blah blah blah

Trash Mod
Administrator
I wish I were dead.

i'm nick and i'm too stupid to read so i make unnecessary posts

Ballkicks: (+574 / -34)
Reg. Date: Oct 2004
Reply 12 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 09:37:48 AM)

I considered joining the Air Force and signing up for something technical when I was younger (pre 9/11) but then I got a family and there's no way I would voluntarily risk having my daughter grow up without a father.
It is company policy not to release this information.
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 09:38:51 AM)

Who mentioned morality? I certainly did not.

While playing the vissario ignores everything you say and the vissario desperately whores himself out for attention games are forum classics, we wont be playing them here in this thread today. So either discuss why you would or would not hypothetically join the military, or

Quote:
Go to hell. Go to hell. Get out of my thread.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 14 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 09:58:51 AM)

I considered joining the military, but the contracting of certain duties out to private corporations which have a profit motive rather than a service motive has led me away from considering it.

I don't want a shower that sprays me with bloodborne diseases.

I don't want food that is dangerous to consume.

But most importantly, if I were to join the military, I would have too many objections to the where and why of combat. I can't trust the politicians running the show, so I'd rather not join.
"All governments lie, but disaster lies in wait for countries whose officials smoke the same hashish they give out." -IF Stone
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 15 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 11:21:21 AM)

I dodged mandatory conscription, but sometimes I had thought of joining the Air force, you know, to fly planes and stuff.
But as of now, as a professional, I'd never join our military.
Maybe, if joining another military, as a professional, shows up as a chance to speed up immigration paperwork, that'd be different.
Despair came knocking at my door
and I let her in.
For a while.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 16 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 11:51:13 AM)

Vissario, shutup. You appreciate what the garbage man does for you, but I doubt you want to be one.
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 17 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 11:59:21 AM)

How I see the world:

Everyone in our society contributes in some way - everyone from the lowly temp worker who switches offices every few days to the CEO of a successful corporation. These people and everyone in between have something to do with supporting my/your lifestyle in $_COUNTRY.

This includes, of course, everyone in the military.

I contribute by working as a simple cubicle slave. I am only one man, and therefore cannot do more than 1 or 2 things at once. I choose to work in a cube simply because being in the army looks like it really sucks.

However, if I found myself on the street with no skills and no hope of ever finding a job that required me to wear a tie, I would pick joining the army over working at Taco Bell.

So I suppose my answer is: if nothing else was available, I would go into the army and serve; however, I am college-educated and hold a bachelor science degree, therefore I have more lucrative options available to me.
You are the reason I post here, and that annoys me.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 18 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 12:18:24 PM)

That's absurd, people wear ties at McDonald's all of the time.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 19 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 12:23:01 PM)

I long ago decided I'd rather be making decisions, not enforcing them.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 20 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 12:26:57 PM)

INTL ftw
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 21 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 12:56:11 PM)

Quoted from vissario:
the security that the military grants you while not acknowledging them as perhaps the single most important agent that allows the comfortable modern lifestyle that we all enjoy.
the military only grants you security because other military forces exist. it is like an ouroboros. if no military force of any kind existed the world would be a better place.

oh by the way exactly what sort of threat did iraq pose to the united states, lol
and cambodia, and vietnam
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 22 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 01:08:24 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from vissario:
the security that the military grants you while not acknowledging them as perhaps the single most important agent that allows the comfortable modern lifestyle that we all enjoy.
the military only grants you security because other military forces exist. it is like an ouroboros. if no military force of any kind existed the world would be a better place.

hey you fucking hippie i bet if you just play guitar for kim jong and smoke a little of your dankest green he'll disassemble his entire military program and bring n. korea out of the 1950s.

IF THE WHOLE WORLD... never gonna happen.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 23 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 01:13:57 PM)

Not to demonize those that have served in the military, but I could never or would never even support anyone I know joining the military.

I agree with Antpocas' hippie views, but I am also smart enough to realize that this has a .0000000000001% of coming to fruition.

Unfortunately, a lot of my friends that didn't choose to go to college are being forced to join the services because of economic hardship.
It is what it is...
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 24 of 256 (Originally posted on: 03-19-09 01:25:29 PM)

Haha, I went to college and now I am to considering it to continue going to college. American capitalism for the win, nikolati!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 31350 | Total Posts: 256 ]