Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > INTL Fantasy Baseball (please join us) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 470 | Total Posts: 14 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-09-09 12:58:07 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/display.php?threadid=29159

Last year INTL's fantasy baseball league was wildly successful. We tried hockey and football but baseball definitely had the most interest/participation.

We want to do it again this year, however last year we only had 8 people, and 2 of them didn't seem interested in playing again. So we need new players! And if we can get more then 8, that'd be awesome.

So if you enjoy baseball, or you know little to nothing about baseball and just want a chance to beat out some intl'ers (drahnier.. who ironically kicked all our asses last year), join up! It will be fun I swear.
This reply was last edited on 03-09-09 09:12:50 PM by D.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 1 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 12:21:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm just not sure I have the time these days, unfortunately. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Will there ever be an INTL Fantasy Rugby? Or INTL Fantasy Soccer?
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 03:45:03 PM)

Quoted from Shine:
I'm just not sure I have the time these days, unfortunately. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Can't say i'd have much interest in either. I love sport of soccer, but I know really nothing about the professional leagues. Also i've heard that fantasy soccer works very differently from all the other sports.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 03:50:58 PM)

Yea I don't see those sports ever happening in a fantasy league here. Football proved pretty good with the matchups, but the fantasy hockey, at least in the form that it was in this year, is really questionable for next year. Not having the weekly matchups like for football and baseball takes almost all of the excitement out of it.

And for anybody else out there in ID that doesn't read the Arena....the fantasy Baseball was a resounding success last year, and I think most everybody involved really enjoyed it. Even if you don't know alot about baseball, the opportunity to learn is there, and alot of us agree that the Fantasy league really inspires a renewed interest in the sport.

^^^I guess this is mostly for all you heavengames dudes that I know nothing about. If you ever liked baseball, or like professional sports in general, I suggest you join.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 4 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 03:54:39 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Quoted from Shine:

Can't say i'd have much interest in either. I love sport of soccer, but I know really nothing about the professional leagues. Also i've heard that fantasy soccer works very differently from all the other sports.

Oh come on, I've played several Fantasy Practically American-Only Sport games here!
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:21:48 PM)

Well theoretically I would join did it not have such a weird set up. A friend was telling me how it works, sounds very different.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 6 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:25:02 PM)

You really haven't PLAYED any of them, sukkit.

You just made a half-assed team, abandoned it for the rest of the season and let it be an automatic win for everyone who played you, which frankly damages the fun of the league more than it adds.

That's exactly why soccer leagues wouldn't work, because even if people joined, no one would bother actually playing.
Except maybe you and me and maybe someone else, and we all know how easily i'd win that one.

Quote:
Well theoretically I would join did it not have such a weird set up. A friend was telling me how it works, sounds very different.

You mean soccer?

Yeah, since the only stats you have to give points on in soccer is goals, assists, and yellow and red cards.

Meaning that midfielders and defenders mainly get points based on how much their team scores or concedes, and not their own individual performance.
So what you want is not the best possible defender, but the worst possible defender who regularly plays in a great teams starting 11, since he will be cheap for great value.
DRAHNIER
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 7 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:31:42 PM)

What the hell?
No, in the last Fantasy Baseball league I genuinely did what I could, and I didn't do that bad. I managed my starters and did trades, and I won some games, thank you very much.
And I remember a Fantasy Football league where I was one of the few who actually cared. That was before fantasy leagues became cool.
And you know what really damages the fun of the league? Not having players.
So yeah, fuck that.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 8 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:38:48 PM)

I'm sorry if i underestimated your effort, but it certainly didn't seem like you ever made a single effort to improve your team, which would not have been hard, even if you know nothing.

I didn't know anything either.

Maybe i shouldn't lump you in with hasty though, he literally didn't give a shit at any point of that league.
DRAHNIER
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:42:26 PM)

Yeah i'd say Sukkit was at least a couple levels above Hasty in effort.

I really don't mind having one or two 'easy wins' in the league though, so long as the greater majority of the league is actually trying. So in an 8 player league, more then 2 dead teams is too many.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 10 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 04:42:35 PM)

The only questionable thing I did was have a thematic team where only players with pure English names were allowed, but honestly I did that because I assumed everybody would create joke teams anyway and I didn't have any means of deciding which players to choose other than letting the draft be fully automatic which would have been boring and lame. Sorry for expecting to have a fun game.

edit: hey Dimi I beat you in the first game!
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 06:25:18 PM)

I'd say this thread sets up a pretty good grudge match for Sukkit to come back and defend his honour?
D
Administrator

Reply 12 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 08:10:34 PM)

Quote:
edit: hey Dimi I beat you in the first game!

Yeah, I also had a stupid initial team, consisting of almost every Phillies starter (and only 3 of the really good ones that are worth drafting). So it took me a while to cleanse my team and get a contender together.

I agree with tart, come back and defend your honor!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 13 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 02:16:39 PM)

I would, but I'm not sure I could actually do better than last time.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 14 of 14 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 03:23:51 PM)

K, we have 8. PM me the e-mail address you'd prefer your invite sent to.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 470 | Total Posts: 14 ]