Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Health & Beauty: chances are you possess neither of these > Cooking > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] [ Thread Views: 22747 | Total Posts: 133 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
(Originally posted on: 03-08-09 11:17:02 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I figured this would be the best place for it, as I want to hear about good food and nothing along the lines of 'I love mcdonalds and ramen.'

I really enjoy cooking. I'm making a menu for the week on what I'm going to cook. Right now I have:
Sunday: blackened talapia sandwich with cilantro mayo and mango salsa, with a 3 bean salad
Monday: jagersnitzle with morel cream sauce and red cabbage.
Tues-Thurs: leftovers, will probably make a pot of meat and beans that I can leave in the fridge
Friday: nothing
Saturday: nothing.

Anyone got ideas on relatively inexpensive but fun to make and good tasting food?
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 1 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 11:47:56 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I am making hamburgers tonight on my George Foreman grill.

Your Sunday meal sounds really awesome. I want a recipe!
if you have time to read my sig you have time to post in my forum
Stoffel

Reply 2 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 12:51:43 PM)

They are both Paula Deen recipes. We were drinking coffee in bed this morning when her show came on and decided that sounded really good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/blackened-tilapia-sandwich-with-cilantro-lime-mayonnaise-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/three-bean-salad-recipe/index.html

The show was on doing something easy and cheap, so if you already have most of the spices you can do it for only a few bucks.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 3 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 01:26:19 PM)

I love Paula Deen, but I find that most of her recipes are heavy on the lard. However, it's nice to see that these two recipes aren't of that variety. I was hoping for a mango salsa recipe, but it looks like it calls for store bought.

Carrot souffle is a really tasty side that you can make that is pretty easy, but peeling carrots isn't terribly fun.

1 lb fresh carrots (rinsed)
1/3 cup butter (5 1/2 tablespoons)
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel carrots and cut in half lengthwise. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place in microwave-safe bowl with butter and cover and microwave on high for about 7 to 8 minutes or until tender.
2. Place carrots in food processor (or blender) with remaining ingredients. Process 20–30 seconds or until well blended. Transfer to baking dish and bake 30–40 minutes, uncovered, or until firm and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

It makes about 8 servings. I usually use less butter and sugar, but that's a matter of preference.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 01:50:55 PM)

Put olive oil in a pan. Cut up a shallot and drop it onto the pan. Do the same with a pepper or some mushrooms. Cut up some chicken or beef into small pieces. Dap it with something spicy and drop it in. Add more of the spice. Meanwhile, boil some thin noodles and steam a vegetable like brocolli and bok choi. Continuously cut the chicken into smaller pieces as it cooks. Cut the steamed veggies up and put them in the pot. Keep mixing it all together and add more spice. Add the noodles and do the same.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Stoffel

Reply 5 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 01:53:53 PM)

Ah, that carrot souffle actually sounds really good! I'll have to put that on the menu for this weekend when I'm cooking for friends.

{edit} Yours sounds good too Z, I like doing stir fry type recipes. Unfortunately my apartment has an electric stove so its hard to get my wok to work right on it.

Here is the sandwich and salad, turned out really good.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 6 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 04:09:56 PM)

Quoted from Zippo:
I am making hamburgers tonight on my George Foreman grill.

Your Sunday meal sounds really awesome. I want a recipe!

I've been thinking about getting one of these since I know a lot of recipes that would cook great with it, how are they?

Since nobodies given a ramen recipe yet, here's mine:

Our Daily Bread
1 packet of chicken Maruchan Ramen (bright orange, not chicken and veg)
1 tsp chicken base. I use kirkland since i live right next to a costco
1 egg
Frozen vegetables of your preference, I use carrots and mixed beans

Throw in the ramen packet to begin with, when you get boiling add the chicken base and then crack the egg in. As quickly as you can pop the yoke and start "pulling" the egg apart, if you do it right there shouldn't be any visible pieces of yoke and the white should be very wispy. After that drop in the ramen and either have the vegetables seperate or steam them in the microwave and drop them in the ramen when you serve it.

Voila, ramen you can live off of without getting scurvy.

I also make orange juliuses without milk by using a banana to help get and keep a froth going in it's place.

Less healthy: Split hitdogs right before they're done and melt some pepperjack inside them. Ultimate chili-cheesedog.
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 7 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 07:08:36 PM)

I love the grill. They sell the smaller single serving types for about $20 and one that is twice as big for $30. It's really convenient, healthy (the fat literally drips right off) and clean up is pretty easy (just wipe it with a damp soapy cloth).
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 8 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-08-09 11:29:11 PM)

I made curry today.

Chopped up a half onion and about 5 sprigs of green onion and tossed that into a large pan with about 2 tablespoons of butter. Lets that caramelize for a bit then tossed in 3 chopped carrots, a head of broccoli, and 2 peppers (red and yellow for the curious) as well as 1-1/2 cups of water.

While that cooked on low heat I prepared some lentils (nothing fancy here think pasta but beans) and started on the curry sauce. The sauce was just a thin béchamel (2 tbsp melted butter, mix in 2-1/2 tbsp AP flour, then mix in 2 cups milk and whisk until thick, or when it begins bubbling) with 2 tbsp of curry powder, some salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cumin. Mixed those in and put on the fire again for about 2 minutes, then mixed in with the veggies (now cooked) and served over the lentils.

It was delicious and extra spicy.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Shadowe

Reply 9 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 01:36:49 AM)

Quoted from Zippo:
I love the grill. They sell the smaller single serving types for about $20 and one that is twice as big for $30. It's really convenient, healthy (the fat literally drips right off) and clean up is pretty easy (just wipe it with a damp soapy cloth).

I was thinking more about the g5 since I can actually use the extra plates for things. Problem is partially that the fat drips off (fat is flavor ffs) and mostly that apparently you can't fold it out completely to use both sides at once as a flat cooking surface.
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 10 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 04:58:13 AM)

The extra plates are handy if you actually use them, and even nicer it makes clean up even easier because the plates are detachable. As for the fat, I've never had a problem where my food became too dry with the fat dripping off since it still retails quite a bit of it.

Stoffel, forgot to mention it before, but your meal turned out so pretty and delicious-looking. i'm a serial-killer :)
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 11 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 09:44:27 AM)

Any good microwave recipes?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 12 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 10:02:20 AM)

Couscous or ramen.

I like couscous with some marinara mixed in.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
KingHarvest
Pretentious Classicist

Ballkicks: (+7 / -4)
Reg. Date: Mar 2009
Reply 13 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 08:30:59 PM)

Pilaf

Coat bottom of pan with olive oil, add egg noodles, cook on medium heat until brown, add a very small slice of butter just before taking off heat.

Add rice (half a cup of rice = 2 servings), add chicken broth until the rice is completely submerged in the broth. Optionally add 2-3 chicken bullion cubes. Put back on stove. Cook until begins to boil.

When boils, turn heat down to low, put cover on and let cook for 30 mins. DO NOT stir the rice or remove the cover until it is done.
Shadowe

Reply 14 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 03:25:16 AM)

Quoted from vissario:
Any good microwave recipes?

You can actually make mine in the microwave if you boil 2 cups of water and stand back a bit when you add everything, I've done it before when the stove was busy and it came out pretty well.

Generally microwave cooking is only really effective for steaming things, meats won't actually COOK through safely or reliably and you can get some pretty wierd effects based on what all you put in. You can get away with a lot of dried pastas by boiling them in a thin layer of water but it takes some pretty serious babysitting to pull off, generally I've only ever used the microwave to boil water to do something else.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 15 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 12:13:57 PM)

I tend to just use the microwave for reheating things I've previously cooked. That said, it's good for casseroles if you've got leftover rice or noodles to use up. One recipe I sometimes like is this one:

Ingredients:

Leftover rice or pasta (egg noodles work especially well)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 caps lemon juice
1 tbsp curry powder (more or less, depending on how much you like it)
pepper to taste

Mix these ingredients together into a thick sauce and stir into the rice/noodles along with:

1 onion, diced
1-2 green pepper(s), diced

Top with thin slices of cheddar cheese (American or Monterrey jack work as well) and microwave until the cheese melts.
Stoffel

Reply 16 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-12-09 08:07:00 AM)

Sorry I didnt get a good shot of the plate, honestly all of us were so eager to dig in that I forgot about it. This is the jagersnitzle, which is essentially a tenderized and breaded pork cutlet which is fried and covered in a thick mushroom gravy. Sides are red cabbage boiled with onion and apple, and a loaf of rye bread my g/f had made earlier in the day. Not really hard to make if you have basic kitchen experience, but time consuming. I'll have to do a full workup on the recipe as I've yet to really write it down.

greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 17 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-12-09 09:33:15 PM)

I really love cooking. It's funny...most of my life I wouldn't do anything more advanced than microwaveable, maybe attempting a fun recipe a few times a year. Now I cook a lot. And in addition to getting a lot of joy from it, I've also gotten quite good. I watch a lot of Food Network/Discovery Health. Has anyone else watched Just Cook This!, or Healthy Decadence? 2 of my fave shows on Disc. Health. I aim for healthy/low fat recipes, and these shows are based on that. I also like more traditional/American food, haven't tried my hand much with foreign foods yet.

Yesterday, I decided to cook with just whatever I had in the house. This can be challenging, due to lack of fresh ingredients. However, I did quite well. Here's what I came up with

Katii's Lazy Mexican Rice
1 lb chicken
rice (any kind you want. I used Uncle Bens Instant Brown Rice, the kind you can microwave)
1 can of chicken broth, reduced sodium/ or lowfat
1 can of diced tomatoes (or you can use salsa, whatever)
1 small can of green chilies
1 pack of taco seasoning
1 clove of garlic (or 2 or 3 if you like heavy garlic like me)
Cumnin, cayenne, 1 tsp of Tapatio (or your favorite hot sauce), black pepper
shredded cheddar
Sour cream
tortilla's

Cook the chicken in a skillet w/ oil. Then add all your canned ingredients (drain the tomatoes and chilies) and taco seasoning. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. The, add your rice. Let it cook for 5-10 more minutes. Add garlic and spices (you can leave them out if your taco seasoning is strong enough. mine wasnt that great) After everything is heated well, simmer more if it needs to thicken, or remove from heat. Serve with cheddar, sour cream and crushed up tortillas. More like a beanless chili than just rice and stuff since there are more wet ingredients. If you used fresh stuff and not canned, it would be more of a dry recipe. Turned out pretty good.
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Stoffel

Reply 18 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-13-09 09:40:58 AM)

Quote:
or 2 or 3 if you like heavy garlic like me

I like to throw whole cloves in a pot of boiling water and then eat them once they turn into little pockets of garlic goo...

I like that recipe. Its always fun to go through your cabinets and put something together out of nothing. I might try that recipe with fajita and see how it turns out, I've got a whole bunch in the freezer that I need to use up.

I'm a big fan of Alton Brown on food network. I really like how he explains the science behind how everything works so you really understand why you do what you do and how to apply it elsewhere.
greenidentity

Reply 19 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-13-09 11:38:54 AM)

It is totally fun! And it's neat how you learn what goes together, after gaining cooking experience. Let me know how yours turns out!]

Alton Brown just UUGH bugs me. I prefer Ted Allen; Food Detectives, Iron Chef, Chopped e.t.c. I'm a tough audience
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 20 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-13-09 05:27:54 PM)

Quoted from KingHarvest:
Pilaf

I LOVE this stuff
Zippo
pooooooop

Reply 21 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-13-09 08:48:38 PM)

Hells yeah. You can add toasted pinenuts (expensive though) for added nutty flavor.
greenidentity

Reply 22 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-14-09 08:01:35 AM)

Another good execution of a Pilaf is Byrani...oh how I love thee. I would like to try a Byrani recipe soon.....
You make me sick
Because I adore you so.
Nemesis
Zuri's Cat
They're ALL scientologists damn you! IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Ballkicks: (+87 / -19)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 23 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-16-09 09:27:42 AM)

Chicken Holocaust Omelette

Ingredients:
3 Eggs
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Shaved chicken from deli counter (superultra thin sliced)
Cajun seasoning
Bell pepper (optional)

Instructions:
Spray down a pan with whatever kind of cooking spray you have
Put everything except for the spice in a bowl
Stir it up well(it should be pretty thick)
Put the pan on medium high heat (I use 8 on my stove)
Pour it in the pan and put on the seasoning, you can go pretty heavy as it's not spicy
Wait til it's not runny on the top anymore and flip it over, cook it for another 2 minutes or so and put it on a plate

I only posted this because it's what I had for breakfast as I was reading the thread.
Snook
INTL Premium Member

Reply 24 of 133 (Originally posted on: 03-16-09 08:05:31 PM)

Here comes a photo series. I made some salmon & potatoes.

We have the salmon, potatoes (dutch new potatoes, boiled and kept in a fridge overnight to harden), parmesan, butter, and salt/pepper. Also, welcome to the entirety of my counter space!

A tbsp of butter and some salt/pepper is all this salmon needs. Let cook 'till delicious.

In the meantime, take some of the potatoes and cut them in half. Then put them in another pan with a tbsp of butter and let it sit. Make sure to put them cut side down! Sprinkle some salt and pepper over it.

Like so. Let these sit for a while, until the bottom crisps up. Then mix it around a bit and serve.

Grate some parmesan. This tastes amazing when sprinkled over the hot potatoes.

Yummy and delicious. Serve this as a side.

And here we go! I sprinkled some green onion I'd chopped yesterday over the plate for some extra taste. A great, and not too expensive meal.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 22747 | Total Posts: 133 ]