Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > 2009 INTL Fantasy Baseball > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 26 ] [ Thread Views: 39343 | Total Posts: 626 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 03-05-09 10:15:42 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

SEASON 1 (BEGINNING 2009) STARTS AT PAGE 1

SEASON 2 (BEGINNING 2010) STARTS AT PAGE 18
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
This reply was last edited on 05-03-10 03:46:36 PM by IF0.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-05-09 01:19:22 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

3. t
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-05-09 04:43:07 PM)

4. Dimi
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 3 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-05-09 04:44:07 PM)

5. Hoff
IF0
Administrator

Reply 4 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 12:27:03 PM)

Just five? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
D
Administrator

Reply 5 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 12:53:23 PM)

lets start hassling others to join. I bet Emtilt will join us if he saw the thread.

Sukkit and Hasty probably wont. Who else at INTL might like some baseball/intl v intl competition?
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 6 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 08:57:09 PM)

6. emtilt

Only took me so long because I haven't been on the computer much for the last few days so I didn't see the thread!
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
GoC
causes drama in intl fantasy sports

Ballkicks: (+18 / -2)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 7 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 11:12:48 PM)

I've never played fantasy baseball, but...why not. It might be fun.

7. GoC

So how does this work anyway? I hope it doesn't involve predicting the day in September that the Mets will start choking because I never get the date exactly right. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-09-09 11:24:40 PM)

Well the fantasy "draft day" is when you get your team.

Right now ESPN has pre-ranked every player in the MLB, so on draft day, you'll get the best available player (as determined by ESPN). If there are certain players you really want, you can go in and change everyone's rank, so that you're more likely to get them. For example, if you really really want A-Rod, you can put him at #1 in your draft order.

If you know nothing about anyone and don't care, don't touch the draft order much and you'll get a darn good team to start with.

Then once the season starts, players get points for different things they do (hits, RBIs, home runs; for pitchers strike outs, wins, quality starts). You can change your team around during the season by picking up unowned players or by making trades with other INTL teams.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 9 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 10:02:00 AM)

I feel that i'll do worse now that i actually know who several MLB players are, unlike last year.

Last years fantasy baseball actually made me start watching some baseball though, and i've continued watching it ocasionally since, and i've learned a lot about the sport and the teams and crap.
So...fantasy baseball can be quite educational and broaden your horizons.
DRAHNIER
D
Administrator

Reply 10 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 01:36:02 PM)

I agree. 2 years ago, I was a big phillies fan, watched most of the games, and loved baseball. Going into last year, I knew all of the Phillies, but really nothing else about anyone in the league. This year I feel like I know everyone important around the league, who's good, who's getting old, who's a rising star.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 11 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 02:23:17 PM)

Yea...me too. I knew a good chunk of players before, but not nearly as many as I know now. I've already started creating a mental list of players I want this time around.
GoC

Reply 12 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-10-09 06:08:00 PM)

I have a pretty decent idea about who's good and who's bad in baseball, but not near the same level of knowledge I have for hockey.

Quote:
hits, RBIs, home runs; for pitchers strike outs, wins, quality starts

Are those worth different values? Like, to use Seattle as an example, would it be good to pick Ichiro because he gets a lot of hits, or bad because hits aren't worth much and he doesn't get many RBIs and home runs, relatively speaking?
IF0
Administrator

Reply 13 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 07:13:58 AM)

HR's are worth 4, a single is worth 1, a double worth 2, a triple worth 3.

We need 1 more person for an 8-team custom league, so we can play head to head.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 14 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 02:37:28 PM)

fine richard, you shit
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 15 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 03:10:45 PM)

I thought it would be good to only use the american or national league players, to decrease the surplus of star players and make it more competitive, but dick thinks that would ruin too much of the fun for most of us.

What do you think?
DRAHNIER
IF0
Administrator

Reply 16 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 03:19:39 PM)

K, we have 8. Everybody give me your e-mail address you'd prefer your invite sent to.

FYI, autodraft is March 30th, one month before the season starts.

Also, you might want to take note.. relievers will be more useful this season. Starts will be limited (it determines this automatically, but usually it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't add/drop starters every single day), and you have a maximum of 8 starters on your team, whereas you have 10 positions for pitchers (so at minimum, you'll always have at least 2 relievers playing).
This reply was last edited on 03-11-09 04:32:48 PM by IF0.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 17 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:34:41 PM)

Quoted from d diddy:
I thought it would be good to only use the american or national league players, to decrease the surplus of star players and make it more competitive, but dick thinks that would ruin too much of the fun for most of us.

What do you think?

We COULD do this, I just think it would eliminate half the teams that people end up watching as a result.

If so, just decide before the draft date so I can reduce the amount of players playing every day (like get rid of 5 OF's instead to 3 OF's, or the 2B/SS and 1B/3B.
D
Administrator

Reply 18 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:41:38 PM)

Quoted from d diddy:

What do you think?

I definitely do not want to do this.

If we did American league only I would lose all interest. I suspect if we did national league only other people would lose interest too.

Even if it was national league only I wouldn't like it.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 19 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:43:00 PM)

Quoted from d diddy:

What do you think?

How does that make it more competitive ??? I don't understand the logic behind this. We are drafting....everybody has equal opportunity at every player. How does decreasing the talent surplus make it more even??

And yes, it would be shitty. My team is in the AL East. I watch the AL. Dimi and Hoff's team are in the NL. They watch the NL. I don't like this idea at all.
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:44:37 PM)

Last year's league was a lot of fun. I don't think trying to make it a lot different/more competitive is a great idea.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 21 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:47:23 PM)

don't mess with success
IF0
Administrator

Reply 22 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 04:59:48 PM)

Quoted from Dimi:
Last year's league was a lot of fun. I don't think trying to make it a lot different/more competitive is a great idea.

It's going to pretty much be the same. Limits were on the starts last season too and it never came to be an issue. Only big difference is HAVING to use 2 relievers. Which, with the amount in the league (and closers), shouldn't be an issue either.

And T, I think the point of having fewer players is simply to make it more valuable to have a star at a weak position, for example (i.e. SS or 2B). And so everybody doesn't have an All-Star at every position.

EDIT:
Raised the amount of SP's allowed on your team to 9. Figured not all 9 would start on the same day every time, so gives more transaction leeway.
GoC

Reply 23 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 09:50:13 PM)

I'd rather have AL and NL too, which looks like the consensus now anyway.

Quoted from IF0:
HR's are worth 4, a single is worth 1, a double worth 2, a triple worth 3.

Thanks.

Sorry, I know this is probably obvious to everyone else, but

1) the autodraft is March 30th and you can do any adjustments to the draft order you'd like up to then? or do you have to do them on draft day?

2) how do starts work for pitchers? Like, suppose I draft nine starters (call them A,B,C, etc.)...do I just leave them alone (unless I want to make a trade) and let them accumulate stats, or do you have an "active lineup" and you switch players in and out of the lineup (so say that A, E, and F were starting on a particular day, and you decide you only want to start A and F so you "bench" E)? The same I guess would go for position players as well.

(Nevermind on 1), pretty much answered itself after joining the league)
D
Administrator

Reply 24 of 626 (Originally posted on: 03-11-09 10:38:45 PM)

Are Homers worth 4 + any RBI's, or is it worth 3+ the obvious minimum of 1 RBI included?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 24 25 26 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 39343 | Total Posts: 626 ]