Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Reflecting on 2008 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4806 | Total Posts: 51 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-27-08 04:53:59 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

2008 is nearly over, about to be taken over by 2009 (and then 2010 and then 2020 and then 2050... OH GOD AMPHY WE'RE OLD), but back to 2008, what are the goods and the bads for this year, and for yourself during this year? Are you finally in that relationship you wanted? Did you graduate school?...

As reflections are made for 2008, what are you hoping, expecting or looking forward to for 2009?
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 1 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 05:13:01 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm ready for 2009, as evidenced by the fact that i've been accidentally writing it on all my papers instead of 2008. I even made someone a calendar last year as present and accidentally made it for 2009 instead of '08.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 05:27:52 PM)

Whoa, I'm so drunk I almost spilled everything about my private life in here. Suffice it to say 2009 will suck or be great depending on which response I get in the next few days. 2008 was much better than I thought but then again it was nothing special and final judgment is still pending.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 3 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 05:31:58 PM)

Throwaway year. I worked full-time and little else.

Bring on the new year already.
őjust dandyŤ but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
őPurpleŤ If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
őjust dandyŤ ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 4 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 05:50:07 PM)

Quoted from Sunflake:
Are you finally in that relationship you wanted?

No.
Quoted from Sunflake:
Did you graduate school?

No.
Quoted from Sunflake:
but back to 2008, what are the goods and the bads for this year, and for yourself during this year?

2008 wasn't really terrible or great for me. I did well in school, but not quite as well as I'd have liked. My social life has been unfortunately stagnant. Nothing great happened, but nothing overly traumatic either. I suppose all in all it was slightly on the negative side, but not by much.
Quoted from Sunflake:
As reflections are made for 2008, what are you hoping, expecting or looking forward to for 2009?

I don't expect 2009 to be much different from 2008 for me.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 05:52:16 PM)

I am looking forward to 2009 because it means I will be back in school, which I am loving. I have no social life as of late, and gladly welcome the fact that I will more or less be forced into being a workaholic to get through the semester. The break is zooming by and I'm getting nothing done and it feels so slow until I look at the calendar.

People are more focused on money than ever, which I think is unfortunate.

Otherwise, I'm loving the music I listen to and I really think I am making the right choice in being an actor.

So, a depressing end to an otherwise pretty fantastic year.
how is this for a quote
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 6 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 06:12:43 PM)

Not as cool as 2007. Didn't travel anywhere, stayed in Colombia,had trouble finding my first job, which was shitty but gave me enough money, then they made me quit. So I came back to the city, got a new job, which is way cooler but has a low wage.
I did not make any progress towards my US licensing process, still have debt. I got dumped, came back together, then Im bored again.
I'll work hard to make this a better year
Despair came knocking at my door
and I let her in.
For a while.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 08:33:47 PM)

Quote:
OH GOD AMPHY WE'RE OLD

I hate you.
Quoted from Sunflake:
Did you graduate school?

Sure did! I think that maybe have been the best part of 2008, to be honest. My social life hit the drain as soon as I moved back to Cowpens, but I am for the most part happy. I'm quite disappointed that I still haven't found a job (still), but I'm hoping that speaks more to the state of the market than the state of me.

I am looking very much forward to 2009.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-27-08 08:50:07 PM)

-I graduated with the BSc and got accepted into a Masters program. I switched cities; now with my own apartment and no roommates. I moved to a larger city, but it's a bit grungier so that was sort of a sideways step.
-I had three potential relationships, none of which panned out...mostly to my own accord. They were great and everything, but I have commitment issues.
-I didn't get to travel all too much; a weekend on Georgian Bay is as far as I got.
-No close friends or relatives passed away either, which is always good. My cousin got married to an italian girl and the wedding was a pretty stereotypic italian wedding. Our side of the family occupied 3 tables...the italians had the other 45. No exaggeration. My grandpa also ended up marrying his costa rican maid this year, and now goes by "carlos" instead of "charles" (lol). Part of me is happy for him, part of me thinks she's using him as an excuse to stay in the country.

-Hopefully I'll get a publication out this coming year. I also hope I can get upgraded to the PhD program this year, so I can get the salary increase sooner rather than later.
-Maybe I'll see about getting over my commitment issues.
-Travel more. I'm already booked for a trip to pittsburgh (lol) in march, and as soon as the spring school semester is over, I'm going to try to talk my boss into sending me down to Oak Ridge in Tennesee to do some experimenting (ie. get drunk with nickolati). TRIUMF in Vancouver is also a goal of mine, but a little less likely because it has less relevance to my work. Some day, my boss has hinted that he will be sending me to Estonia and China to collaborate with his former students, but I'm not sure I see that happening in 2009.
-EDIT: get drunk, smoke trees, fuck bitches
lizardbreath

WARNING: Using acid (LSD) during pregnancy will result in mental giants such as myself!

Ballkicks: (+146 / -15)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 9 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-28-08 01:26:28 AM)

I spent 7 months of 2008 in Mexico. The first couple months of this year were awesome, then in March my backpack was stolen. I had all of my most important things in there (money, credit card, debit card, passport, birth certificate, medications, etc.), and it was a pretty tramautic experience all together. I did mature a lot, and learn a lot, but honestly from all the bad luck I've had, this has probably been the worst year of my life so far.

I've seen my dad once this year, we're not speaking. It can get stressful, but I see this as a neutral-positive thing.

I was in an 8 month relationship with an asshole that I broke up with. As well as had a 2 month relationship, but decided that I don't really want a boyfriend at this point in my life.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a new car next year (waiting for the snow to go away), as well as once the weather is nicer, I'd like to get out skydiving at least once.

I'm just going to be working a lot (possibly finding a better paying job?), raising money towards traveling, though I don't really see being able to travel in 2009 unfortunately. I might try to get back to school, but I need to get an Indian Status card to be able to receive government funding. Working on it..

I'm just really hoping 2009 will go a lot smoother than 2008.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 10 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-28-08 08:33:14 AM)

I did graduate. I am in the relationship I wanted. I'll be married in May (INTL party in Missouri?). But in general, life just kinda flows by for me. I barely know the year, much less the date.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 11 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-28-08 06:08:32 PM)

This was my first full year of being in school full-time since I've gotten out of the military. Finances were a bit shaky at the beginning of the year, but now things are going smoothly. My grades are doing extremely well and I'm pretty excited for 2009 to get underway, which should prove to be much better than 2008. I'm trying to get involved in some summer internships this upcoming summer, which will hopefully help me immensely in the future (applying to NASA and Argonne, wish me luck!). Basically, I just want to be able to focus more on school, my future, etc., and as it stands, 2009 looks to be a very good year.

In other news, no new relationships, enjoying being single for what it's worth. Don't really have time for one anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. My priorities at the moment reside entirely in school, so I don't feel I'd even make a good counterpart in a relationship anyway, so it's probably best to steer clear for now.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 12 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-28-08 06:34:50 PM)

2008 was coast time. I did nothing of real significance, save gaining some experience in the military.

I have however, accepted a new job that I start fresh into 2009 and expect to clear around 4 times what I made last year. I'll be moving, and probably won't be finishing school for another year or two, but at least I'll be making good money and have started a good career. As far as relationships go, I have a feeling that I'll be single for another year or two, I'm kinda burned out on dating and probably wouldn't put any real effort into a relationship.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 13 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 03:15:56 PM)

Work: 2008 marked the first full year of me working for Rainsoft marketing. In this year I have increased company revenue by 68%, and shattered company records. I am making more money than I ever have before.

School: Still fighting the good fight. I take classes when I can, mostly online with a few on campus when I can squeeze them in. Debating whether or not I will finish. That really depends on how this new job goes. I have found my niche with marketing.

Love: Love is a tricky subject. I fall in love three times a day, and 2008 was no exception. I am dating a girl right now that seems pretty stable and optimistic. We will see how that pans out.

Family: No births or deaths in 2008 - which is remarkable. I have been making attempts to get closer to my immediate family, repairing the damage done by the confused, drug crazed Nickolati that found his way here in 2003.

Fun: I had my fair share of fun in 2008. I woke up in strange places and in strange beds. I traveled a little bit and went on my first business convention, which was a blast. I got to see a lot of places local to me in a new light.
www.nickolati.blogspot.com
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 14 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 05:48:22 PM)

I'm going to celebrate the arrival of 2009 by writing "2008" on every single one of my goddamn checks.

2008 wasn't such a good year for me. There were a few dating disasters, my truck exploded, and I had to quit one job to take another that requires a commute of an hour or more. I'm also living with some people I don't get along with.

2009 is looking to be pretty good, I'm planning a big two week summer vacation to a number of foreign lands. I'm moving into an apartment much closer to my work. It sits on a golf course and has a good view of the lake from the third floor. I might just take up guitar with all that extra free time.

Come on 2009 don't suck like '08 did
Don't worry there is 6.7 billion of us on the planet, someone wants to get penetrated by you.

fucking fuck fuck cunt fucking fucker you stupid FUCKING FUCK SHIT
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 15 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 08:16:31 PM)

Luckily, TPC's moving in with me.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 16 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 08:42:10 PM)

Quoted from ThePerfectCore:
I'm going to celebrate the arrival of 2009 by writing "2008" on every single one of my goddamn checks.

Oh god me too. For at least a month I will write 2008 on *everything*.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Ballsack 5.0

i'd like to see a pic of ice's duck

Ballkicks: (+91 / -77)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 17 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 08:57:49 PM)

2008 has had a pretty steady upward gradient. I started off in quite bad shape personally, and I gradually improved. I am now quite happy.

With regards to school, it was ok throughout. Got through a major milestone in my life with regards to education. Am getting very close to graduating. Am applying to a wide range of schools for the next phase. Everything is more or less on track.

2009 will depend entirely on one thing and one thing only: where I end up for med school.
<<<<<amphy; next week: sunny; week after: kayte; pm me if you want to be in the loop MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 18 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 09:25:20 PM)

Work: i had a couple of different jobs in 2008, as is normal for me. none of them were notable, as they were all just to get me through school. i'm currently working for a smallish transportation company, and am the girl who does a little bit of everything and helps everyone out. i like it because it's not the same thing every day.

School: i dropped out of art school this past summer and have clawed my way into cu boulder to study engineering. i had to complete two petitions for my tuition classification, both consisting of 2 1/2 inches of evidence that i've lived in colorado on my own for the past two years. now i'm unable to sign up for orientation or classes because of someone's error, school starts in two weeks and i have no idea what classes i'm taking, where ANYTHING is on campus (it's huge), what books or supplies i'll be needing...i have two weeks to figure everything out. i'm excited to start at a new school, but all of the frustration the staff has been putting me through is getting very old, and making me wonder about the school in general.

Love: i'm married and in a wonderful relationship. have never been happier in this department.

Family: some shit went down with my family this past year, but luckily they're all a minimum of 1,600 miles away from me and i didn't have to deal with any of it. some of my relatives died under suspicious circumstances, things were stolen/went missing, etc, etc. i don't speak to most of my extended family, anyway, so it didn't really concern me. on the whole, i'd have to say this is a neutral part of my life.

Fun: my social life has taken a nosedive in the past year, but i'm hoping that going to a larger school will help change that.

overall, this has been a year of some huge changes for me, but it doesn't seem like it. nothing tragic happened, nothing completely amazing happened.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 19 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 09:54:53 PM)

Why the switch from art to engineering?

Good look at CU Boulder -- it's a really good school, especially in the sciences/engineering.
<<<<<amphy; next week: sunny; week after: kayte; pm me if you want to be in the loop MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 20 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-29-08 11:10:46 PM)

Work: First job I've had that I've enjoyed. Not very good pay, but the atmosphere was really nice. My finances are good and in order. References good. Things went to hell with the job in November, but I had already planned to quit. Now I'm content, and planning on a job for February/March 2009. I'm still not sure where I will be placed for a career, but I'm looking at August 2009 for that.

School: Almost done. Well, for the most part I already am, I'm just waiting on things to end. I've gone to school non-stop since I was 4, I'm not sure how well I will cope. 2008 was the year where I finally set into motion finally leaving the University of Calgary, and 2009 will be a year when I will do it. It was generally a good year for grades. I also joined a few societies, and have gotten some networking out of that. On better terms with a few professors.

Body: I started going to the gym - as a "sixth" class, so to speak. This has lasted so far for a year, and I enjoy it. I have a locker until 2009. I wish I had gotten into this earlier, but I intend to continue going until April, at least. Perhaps more. I've been have excruciating back pain for the last year - I'm hoping to see a specialized doctor for it tomorrow. It makes it hard to walk, and in some cases I've had to use a cane. I will have to see... I just would like for the pain to go away.

Living: Many changes, and a lot that hasn't changed. I have lived in the same place for two years. Two roommates moved out, one during the spring, and another in the late summer. The other roommate has gone from crazy to being tolerable. Two new roommates, who generally keep to themselves. January is going to be a bit stressful, as I hope to be able to sign the lease again... that will generally decide how long I stay in Calgary. I have a feeling if that happens, another roommate will be moving out shortly. It frightens me not knowing where I'm going to be living a year from now.

I ended up getting an Xbox, though I'm unsure how much I will play it. I miss video gaming so much, I just lack the people to do it with or the time to focus on it. I've gone through three laptops, I'm on the third now. Music has become a big part of my life, more so than before.

Friends: Tied into living, I have watched a once vibrant household become desolate and empty. Furniture going, people leaving, less people partying, more people with their own lives. I have made friends, and surprisingly lost few friends; though the slow distancing with older friends is occurring, both offline and online. I don't have a close circle, more a cluster of those I am acquainted and comfortable with. An extended INTL in feeling, both online and offline.

2008 was more or less a year of content denial. I have become more and more secluded, but the depressing aspect is that I remain pleased with the seclusion as long as I don't dwell on it. I'm not lonely, nor uninvolved in social groups or previously at work, I just don't spend time (as I once did) going to bars, pubs, movies, game centers, or even with people over.

I came to the conclusion back in October that there's nothing more in Calgary that I want. Not that I haven't made a few friends, but that all my optimism I had for this city four years ago is gone. I can't describe it outside of saying that it was as though, because it was new, new things would happen to me. Meanwhile, in the places I used to live, there's nothing much for me wanting to go and live again there. I'm at the point of my life where I think I should move on; only this time, I want it to be directed. I would like a career that took me somewhere, but didn't keep me there too long... maybe.

I expect 2009 to continue much as it has with friendships. I have no plans, unless otherwise given in the issue of the lease, to move away from Calgary until later this year (at best hopes).

Also death count at 3. An unfortunate year for that, but not the worst. That goes to 2002.

Love: Dead. In October, it was 2 years since I was in a relationship or had sex. As described elsewhere, I think it's because I've lost my passion - my mojo. (And yes, I did just turn on the Austin Powers theme). I don't feel anything. No crush, no lust, no sympathy, no romance. I can't grasp how I've gone from sexually promiscuous to nothing. Was it convenience, then? Was it that my expectations have changed? I don't want 2009 to be like that, but I'm not too sure. I'M OLD GREGG; though that's not far from the truth when it comes to how I view relationships now. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

tldr; 2008 was a good year. In comparison to 2007 it was better. Even though its been a fairly... uneventful year for me, and somewhat disappointing, its been ok. Comfortable, and content. I expect 2009 to be a year of changes, and I'm unsure about it.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 21 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-30-08 07:11:43 AM)

I got a Wii instead of an XBox this year. Buggest mistake of my life MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
<<<<
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 22 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-30-08 08:48:10 AM)

Quoted from Ballsack 5.0:
Why the switch from art to engineering?

Good look at CU Boulder -- it's a really good school, especially in the sciences/engineering.

i decided that art is something i enjoy doing for myself, rather than for my career. (ie - i decided that i wasn't any good at it). engineering seems like a better fit for my personality/the way i think/what i'm good at. also, better pay/ability to pay back massive student loans.

everyone says it's a good school, but so far most of my experiences have been negative (everything from the attitudes of the staff to how easy it is to navigate the website.)
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 23 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-30-08 09:32:19 AM)

I understand where you're coming from with regards to that. I am an engineering major, too. I don't really like it, but it was the most practical thing to do. If I was doing what I loved, I would be a historian MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS i luv u antony beevor MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Also, I suppose their academics are better than their bureaucracy because it is quite a good school academically. Sorry you are having a tough time MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 24 of 51 (Originally posted on: 12-30-08 10:39:11 AM)

School: One fuckup after another. Still hate my school, but at least I have a major and a purpose now.

Social life: Made new friends, nothing too exciting here.

Love life: Another disastrous relationship. I just want a single long term relationship in my life at *some* point.

Family: Went to hell in a handbasket when my sister basically walked out on my parents.

It was a shitty year overall. I was depressed for about 85% of it.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4806 | Total Posts: 51 ]