Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Role of Money in the Politics of "HOPE" and "CHANGE" > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1629 | Total Posts: 45 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Did money make the Messiah?
This poll has no expiration.
Yes Vote in poll to view results
No Vote in poll to view results
But Obama is HOPE and CHANGE! Vote in poll to view results
Modify Poll
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

(Originally posted on: 11-07-08 11:11:59 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Much has been made of Obama and the so-called politics of HOPE and CHANGE, but what has been made of the money use has used to promote that message? Since his first fundraising efforts in 2007, Obama has managed to raise an astonishing amount of 650 million USD, or, in another way to say it, nearly triple the amount McCain was able to raise in his entire campaign. But what does this mean? This means that Obama, flush with cash enabled him to pull of this amazing spectacle:

"Obamaĺs huge edge in finances enabled him to devote nearly three times as much as McCain to advertising, with the Democrat spending $21.5 million to McCainĺs $7.5 million from Oct. 21 to Oct. 28 as Election Day neared.

On the day before the election, Obama ran 3,410 ads in seven competitive states, while McCain ran only 1,900.

Obama also far outspent McCain on staff salaries, helping him to open field offices and fund a get-out-the-vote effort
"

Does no one else see anything wrong with this? How can a man who has touted himself as reaching beyond the hum-drum practices of Washington really be willing to indulge in the same burlesque he criticizes? Rather than take public funding, a practice he has routinely lauded as a great way to keep things "fair", he instead goes on to take private donations because, wait for it....HE WANTS THA MONIES!
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 02:07:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

People donate to him because they like him. Is there a problem with using money smartly once you have it?
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 2 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 02:17:55 PM)

Yes, actually there is. Enough money can popularize anyone, and it does make a fair election impossible. Our public financing system also has some problems though. Campaign financing is in desperate need of reform, as are a number of other aspects of our electoral system.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 3 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 02:32:43 PM)

But it's not just lots of money->fancy campaign->victory, it's popular candidate->lots of donations->lots of money->fancy campagin->victory which buckles down to popular candidate->victory.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 4 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 02:36:58 PM)

Except usually it's giant corporate dollars->fancy campaign->victory->politicians in the pocket.

Not that i'm making any specific criticism on this particular election, 'cause I have no idea.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 5 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 03:42:17 PM)

What Dimi said + it's a snowball effect. The huge number of people that ended up giving Obama money weren't always doing so.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 6 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 04:11:37 PM)

I would be happy if there where 20 issues to vote on. You voted on how you feel about each issues. And while that was going on there was 100 candidates, and in the end your vote would go for who you agreed with the most. That really is the only way that would make sense.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 7 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 06:19:33 PM)

Would "How do you feel about scientific testing on animals" be ranked the same as "Should we invade another country to boost our economy?"
-Wandering Idiot
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 07:47:47 PM)

Maybe you get 40 points to use on the issues. You can assign each issue any amount of points but you can't go over 20.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 9 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 09:50:58 PM)

Voter turnout is now 3%.
-Wandering Idiot
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 10 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 09:57:12 PM)

Yeah man, that's like way too much effort for voting. You're supposed to appeal to the masses.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
D
Administrator

Reply 11 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 10:33:38 PM)

we do it all the time

Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 12 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 11:17:15 PM)

Quote:
we do it all the time

Quote:
we

No, buddy. We don't.
D
Administrator

Reply 13 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 11:34:53 PM)

I'm crackin jokes here snap
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 14 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 11:36:40 PM)

Crackalackin or just crackin? I wish Nova were here so he could make a poll to decide which it actually is you're doing.
D
Administrator

Reply 15 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-07-08 11:47:05 PM)

I have a clean record of having never once crackalacked
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 16 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 12:36:00 AM)

how is any of this news?
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 17 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 12:53:19 AM)

Quoted from Absinthe_Grit:
how is any of this news?

You can't tell me that Dimi's post is not news.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 18 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 03:49:11 AM)

So now you have to be rich to be elected? Shocking!
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 19 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 07:54:19 AM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Yes, actually there is. Enough money can popularize anyone, and it does make a fair election impossible. Our public financing system also has some problems though. Campaign financing is in desperate need of reform, as are a number of other aspects of our electoral system.

I do agree with this, however it wouldn't have changed my vote. I was originally for Ron Paul (R). Yes, there should be a cap on campaign finances and money spent on advertising.
www.nickolati.blogspot.com
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 12:20:04 PM)

Quoted from The Niggabomber:
Quoted from emtilt:

I do agree with this, however it wouldn't have changed my vote. I was originally for Ron Paul (R). Yes, there should be a cap on campaign finances and money spent on advertising.
Ron Paul got plenty of money from fundraisers and it got him shit, because his ridiculous positions made him unelectable. He isn't exactly the most charismatic candidade, either.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 21 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 12:37:03 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from The Niggabomber:
Quoted from emtilt:

Ron Paul got plenty of money from fundraisers and it got him shit, because his ridiculous positions made him unelectable. He isn't exactly the most charismatic candidade, either.

Yeah, I know that he also collected a great deal of money for his campaign.
www.nickolati.blogspot.com
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 22 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 12:52:27 PM)

Ron Paul raised only 5% of what Obama raised, 9% of what McCain raised, 15% of what Clinton raised, 31% of what Romney raised, 58% of what Guiliani raised, and 60% of what John Edwards raised.

Obviously he was also less electable than the frontrunners, but he wasn't even on the same playing field financially as they were. Obama, Clinton, Romney, and McCain had a whole different order of magnitude to work with.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 23 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 01:27:48 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Ron Paul raised only 5% of what Obama raised, 9% of what McCain raised, 15% of what Clinton raised, 31% of what Romney raised, 58% of what Guiliani raised, and 60% of what John Edwards raised.

Obviously he was also less electable than the frontrunners, but he wasn't even on the same playing field financially as they were. Obama, Clinton, Romney, and McCain had a whole different order of magnitude to work with.
Obviously the playing field isn't level if you're a far-right or far-left politician.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 24 of 45 (Originally posted on: 11-08-08 01:31:10 PM)

I'm not arguing that Ron Paul should have won or raised as much as they did (hell, I think Ron Paul is a moron), just that there is a serious problem. You can't have a fair election without some sort of control on the financing, because everything is a function of money (including what is "far-right or far-left").

EDIT: Nor am I saying that I know what the best solution would be. I'm just making an observation.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1629 | Total Posts: 45 ]