Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > ice's amazing southern road trip > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3800 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-20-08 09:08:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So in November myself and two friends will be packing ourselves into a late-ninties Saab and driving all around through the American south.

One of my friends is volunteering for Obama in Detroit, and after the election he is going to go to DC. My roommate and I will fly out there and meet him there, and from there we will depart on a road trip of epic proportions, ending back in glorious California.

My relatively uninformed route proposal is this:

DC > Nashville > Memphis > New Orleans > Houston / Galveston > Austin > Phoenix > Finally Los Angeles & California

I'm not really asking for places to stay or anything. We have a tent and plan on sleeping outside for most of the nights. Being as I am woefully ignorant of the South, what I'm asking for is things to see or do, cool cities (and activities contained within), cool records stores, restaurants, bars, clubs, places to go hiking, swimming, whatever you think is a cool thing to visit, I'd like to know about it.

The route is by no means final but the main cities I am interested in seeing are Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Galveston, and Austin, so those are fairly concrete (but not totally sure).

So what do you guys think of my route? Is it stupid? Am I missing out on something obvious?
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 10:24:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

My father would at this point suggest you stop and tour every battlefield in Virginia, since you'll be in the state.

If you feel like detouring slightly off 81 in VA you can take Skyline Drive through Shenandoah. It's a much longer route (the speed limit is comparably low) and it isn't for the weak of stomach, but I've done it a few times and it's always well worth it. Late fall...you might even catch the last of the autumn leaves if the weather doesn't turn too early. And come on, it's a national park.

If you drive through Christianburg/Blacksburg at precisely the right moment, the county will swell to about twice its population for a Virginia Tech game.

Asheville's a cool city if you're willing to pop through there, and the Biltmore (in Asheville) is a pretty sweet experience.

I don't really know much about the south outside the Carolinas and Georgia, so I can't recommend much else.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 10:36:50 PM)

Wow, that thing's in the United States?

Do you think early November will be too cold to sleep outside? Keep in mind we will have a tent, sleeping bags, and probably be very drunk most nights

edit: I've been to Gettysburg, there's not really a lot to see though it seems like
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 10:49:52 PM)

Quote:
Wow, that thing's in the United States?

That it is. Thanks Vanderbilt family i'm a serial-killer :) The interior's as crazy as the exterior, and there's a winery on site with regular wine tastings and all that crap.
Quote:
Do you think early November will be too cold to sleep outside? Keep in mind we will have a tent, sleeping bags, and probably be very drunk most nights

November shouldn't be too bad. If you go through Shenandoah you might want to have extra blankets handy (which you should have anyway just in case) because of the altitude, but I wouldn't be afraid of getting frostbite or anything like that. In my experience, Virginia doesn't really start to chill until mid-January. But it's probably different to me than you because I'm used to lots of snow and whatnot. How cold are you used to?
Quote:
edit: I've been to Gettysburg, there's not really a lot to see though it seems like

Gettysburg's about as good as it gets (also about as big as it gets), & most of the VA battlefields aren't worth getting jazzed about either. The only one I'd say is worth considering visiting is Manassas because of Bull Run, but even that's a push. American history lover's dream, though.

Another place I thought of--Luray Caverns. It's painfully commercial anymore but still awesome. Right off the entrance to Skyline Drive, too, iirc.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 10:55:56 PM)

I lived in Berlin so I can handle the cold pretty well despite living in California for almost my entire life.

I don't really like history museums and battlefields just kinda seem like history museums with less money and more walking
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 11:05:58 PM)

Yeah, you should be fine then. I'd say it gets down to the low 40s in the mountains in November, not including wild chill, but that shouldn't be much of a factor at night. If you camp in any of the national parks make sure the campgrounds are going to be open for use ahead of time, because a lot of them close seasonally.

Don't do Manassas. Are you going to see the typical tourist stuff in DC & northern Virginia?
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 12:06:35 AM)

Come visit Richmond!

and amphy's right, Manassas is a shithole.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 05:29:59 AM)

In Alabama, November weather was mostly like 50-60 if I remember correctly.

Atlanta's an interesting city, and if you go west through there, you can get some real deep-south experience with small-town Alabama and Mississippi on your way through New Orleans. A few cities in Alabama if you go through there = Tuscaloosa, Auburn (For Angus), Birmingham, Montgomery (First Confederate Capital anybody?), Mobile, Gulf Shores..

I don't know about Mississippi, I never had much fun there.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 06:46:08 AM)

you should start the trip in Detroit (for tartarus)
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 09:29:30 AM)

you should start the trip in Baltimore (for heroin)

(and agon)
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 01:01:24 PM)

Quote:
Atlanta's an interesting city, and if you go west through there, you can get some real deep-south experience with small-town Alabama and Mississippi on your way through New Orleans. A few cities in Alabama if you go through there = Tuscaloosa, Auburn (For Angus), Birmingham, Montgomery (First Confederate Capital anybody?), Mobile, Gulf Shores..

See initially I skipped Memphis and instead did that. It's be really interesting to see that kinda stuff, do you think it would definitely be different going down the Mississippi?
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 01:22:17 PM)

You could drive from Hotlanta to Nashville and Memphis and then down to New Orleans. It would a little bit more distance to your trip than initially planned but it'd probably be worth it. You don't really need to see much in Alabama though, unless you really really like barbecue, in which case go to Birmingham.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 01:41:07 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quote:

See initially I skipped Memphis and instead did that. It's be really interesting to see that kinda stuff, do you think it would definitely be different going down the Mississippi?

It's just the cradle of all the types of things you read/see when it comes to stereotypical antebellum deep south, old plantations, cotton fields, dirt roads, small tiny towns with populations of 36 where everybody sits on their porches, old Civil War forts (they're all over, there's a fun one in Mobile with catapults/trebuchets built into the walls), etc. And when you head west towards the Mississippi, you'd be coming across all kinds of old French settlements (Fur trade and whatnot), and you'd be able to find everything from old trading outposts to riverboats, etc.

If history interests you, there's a wealth of goodies.

And eat the boiled peanuts! Srsly. I miss them.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
This reply was last edited on 09-21-08 01:47:25 PM by IF0.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 02:02:36 PM)

Quoted from José Rizal:
You could drive from Hotlanta to Nashville and Memphis and then down to New Orleans. It would a little bit more distance to your trip than initially planned but it'd probably be worth it. You don't really need to see much in Alabama though, unless you really really like barbecue, in which case go to Birmingham.

So I should go DC > Atlanta > Nashville > Memphis > NOLA?

What's in Atlanta?
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 03:11:48 PM)

Coca-Cola, Centennial Olympic Park

If you like hiking and mountains, Chimney Rock Park in NC is pretty nice: http://www.chimneyrockpark.com.
Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 03:13:20 PM)

Quote:
What's in Atlanta?

The New Real Housewives
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 03:58:56 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from José Rizal:

So I should go DC > Atlanta > Nashville > Memphis > NOLA?

What's in Atlanta?

If you go from 95 to 85, you can stop at COWPENS NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD OMFG.
Also in Atlanta is the CNN & Weather Channel headquarters, the Atlanta Aquarium (which is fucking huge) and a crapton of clubs.
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 08:12:44 PM)

Well, I dont think Galveston would be a cool place nowdays, its pretty messed up since Ike.

Virginia: you are totally missing the Hapton Roads. you may want to see its harbor, carriers and submarines and whatnot.

Texas: Well, Houston has... I dont really know..I love Houston. Theres also San Antonio, which I have been told is beautiful.
Despair came knocking at my door
and I let her in.
For a while.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 08:48:56 PM)

You should come through Indiana! We have corn.

And wheat.

And soybean fields.

And fa... yeah, skip Indiana.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 09:43:57 PM)

If you drive on 85 and find yourself inticed by the 30+ "J.R." billboards, do not stop. There is nothing good there. Trust me. Just a giant store full of crap, and not the good kind of crap that you want to buy and be like "hey cool look what I got!" Just regular crap that you don't want for any reason.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 10:00:25 PM)

Quoted from Trofozoito:
Well, I dont think Galveston would be a cool place nowdays, its pretty messed up since Ike.

That's actually the reason I want to go, kind of just to see what it's like firsthand. It's a little morbid I admit
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 11:14:35 PM)

I just spent two and a half weeks in a flooded Louisiana experiencing what it's like.

It's shitty. Don't do it.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-22-08 04:46:27 PM)

You could crash with me if you want. I am 20 minutes from Nashville. We can smoke some doobs in the country!

Great Escapes - Amazing record/comic store
Graceland - Birthplace of Elvis
Cafe Coco - Good Food/Poetry Slams/Art Shows
2nd Ave N - Clubs and Bars Galore
Yazoo Brewery - Microbrewed goodness in a Mug!
Rcktwn - Always a good hardcore or metal show playing, if not there, you can check the muse.

Titans/Predators
“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?” - Chris Rock
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-22-08 04:59:17 PM)

Austin is the only place worth going to in Hickland, USA.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 09-22-08 07:54:39 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
You could crash with me if you want. I am 20 minutes from Nashville. We can smoke some doobs in the country!

Great Escapes - Amazing record/comic store
Graceland - Birthplace of Elvis
Cafe Coco - Good Food/Poetry Slams/Art Shows
2nd Ave N - Clubs and Bars Galore
Yazoo Brewery - Microbrewed goodness in a Mug!
Rcktwn - Always a good hardcore or metal show playing, if not there, you can check the muse.

Titans/Predators

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. These are all in/around Nashville?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3800 | Total Posts: 49 ]