Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Ensemble Studios Is Dead > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 626 | Total Posts: 9 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-11-08 09:47:51 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Microsoft is going to shut it down.

Quote:
Confirmation has come fast in regard to rumors surfacing earlier today that Microsoft would be closing its internal developer Ensemble Studios upon the completion of sci-fi real-time strategy game Halo Wars. In a statement issued today, Microsoft confirmed that Ensemble will be shut down once the Xbox 360-exclusive RTS set in the best-selling Halo franchise ships out early next year.

"The team at Ensemble has made invaluable contributions to the games industry with their Age of Empires and Age of Mythology games and with the highly anticipated release of Halo Wars," the publisher said in a statement. "This decision does not reflect at all on Ensembleĺs talent or the quality of Halo Wars--in fact, many people who have had a chance to test drive Halo Wars agree that it is on track to being a fantastic game."

Though Microsoft will close the studio, Ensemble has plans to soldier on. As part of today's statement, Microsoft said that Ensemble's "leadership team" will form a new development house and has already entered into an agreement with the publisher to continue supporting Halo Wars post-launch, "as well as work on other projects with Microsoft Game Studios."

Commenting on the reason for the closure, Microsoft said, "This was a fiscally rooted decision that keeps MGS on its growth path. While the decision to dissolve Ensemble was not an easy one, Microsoft is working to place as many Ensemble employees who do not move to the newly formed studio into open positions within Microsoft as possible."

As noted earlier today, the Age of Empires brand has sold more than 20 million units since the first installment debuted on the PC in 1997. According to the NPD Group, Age of Empires III for the PC has sold 1.15 million units in the US alone through July 2008, with The Warchiefs expansion tallying nearly 305,000 more. (The second expansion, Asian Dynasties, was developed by Rise of Nations creators Big Huge Games.)

Source

Now while this means that ES is dead, and that its employees are being shuffled elsewhere, I wonder if this new design team that will spawn from its remains will take it upon themselves to continue the "Age of" franchise. I have a sneaking suspicion that it probably wont. *sigh*
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 1 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-11-08 11:58:51 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
"This was a fiscally rooted decision"

When do businesses make large decisions to close large segments "just for fun" seems like every decision they make would have to do with :bling: that kind of comment has always annoyed me, kind of like when I here "we're in the business of making money" thanks a lot for that little gem of insight boss!
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 2 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-11-08 01:13:39 PM)

Hopefully HG will go down with the ship.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 3 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-11-08 04:13:10 PM)

I've wondered how HG can continue to "support" games that are, in some cases, almost a decade old.
FUCK YOU ANTPOCAS THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT MR. RHINO DUMP IF YOU HADN'T HAD THAT MISCARRIAGE IN OUR TOILET I WOULDN'T BE COVERED IN SHIT 'PIJAOD'FUFAUCAKFUCKASFD
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 4 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-11-08 07:54:37 PM)

That's too bad. Maybe some of the guys will go work for Maxis.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 5 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-12-08 10:21:38 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
Hopefully HG will go down with the ship.

It's already on the way out.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 6 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 07:14:21 PM)

Is it really in HG's CoC that trying to block their ads is a ban-able?
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 7 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-20-08 07:37:32 PM)

Yes, but even staff block them so it really is null and void unless you bring it up.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 8 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 06:35:53 AM)

Why would you want Soccy's HG to go down?
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 9 of 9 (Originally posted on: 09-21-08 09:47:34 PM)

I can't say I'm that sad to see Ensemble go. I haven't liked anything they put out since The Conquerors.
I don't have a drinking problem.
I drink, I get drunk, I fall down.
No problem.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 626 | Total Posts: 9 ]