Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Is the world going to end earlier today? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 5769 | Total Posts: 90 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Do you think the world will end?
This poll has expired.
Yes 0 votes, 0%
No 8 votes, 80%
Maybe 0 votes, 0%
It already has 0 votes, 0%
Science is a waste of money anyway 2 votes, 20%
Totals: 10 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Siret
who the flying fuck is siret?

Ballkicks: (+14 / -2)
Reg. Date: Sep 2006
(Originally posted on: 09-09-08 02:22:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_of_the_Large_Hadron_Collider

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dccnr/b00dcc2l/

Summary:

LHC is a large doughnut in Switzerland that has a circumference of 27 kilometres ( 17 miles). Inside it, scientists intend to accelerate particles to speeds close to the speed of light and crash them into particles coming in the other direction. To see what happens.

This is the biggest particle accelerator ever, and there are fears the these high energy collisions will create micro black holes that will destroy the Universe. These fears are almost certainly unfounded, but its fun to speculate. The LHC is currently in litigation with multiple individuals who are trying to stop the experiment.

No, but it is scaring a surprising number of people. They think micro black holes will form that are moving too slowly to escape the earth and will slowly attract matter until the whole earth is sucked up.

Well, the most likely thing to happen is that we will find the Higgs Boson (the God particle) that will fill in a huge hole in the Standard Model of (Particle Physics).

Good Luck Everyone LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
This reply was last edited on 09-10-08 08:21:52 AM by Siret.
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 1 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 02:24:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hopefully God's grace will shine upon us and shield us from the evils of Satan's minions. GOd bless
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 2 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 02:55:37 PM)

I don't think it's actually scaring anybody but it's a good opportunity for humour.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 02:56:27 PM)

Could we get a summary for people who have no idea what you're talking about and don't feel like reading your links?
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 4 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 03:02:21 PM)

If I understood this story right, basically the Swiss have built a doom device which, if things go wrong, has about as much of a chance of destroying this planet as any random, massive meteorite. Probably less.
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 03:13:04 PM)

have fun with this, siret
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 6 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 03:21:48 PM)

If particles that routinely hit the earth with 100,000,000 times as much energy as the LHC don't cause black holes, what makes you think the LHC will?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-energy_cosmic_ray
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Reply 7 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 03:26:19 PM)

Oh, so it's not just "extremely unlikely as to be practically impossible", but simply impossible period.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 8 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 03:27:50 PM)

If this is what takes for me to get a hover board like the one in Back to the Future, count me in.
ôYou know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?ö - Chris Rock
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 9 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 04:47:56 PM)

How can you call yourself Christians? There is no particle that small, because it's not mentioned in the bible.

Besides, the world can't end until the antichrist is here.
Master

OMG MAGIC

Ballkicks: (+52 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
Reply 10 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 05:00:35 PM)

What if the particles create some sort of portal to hell and the anti-christ comes through it?

Didn't think about that one, now did you?
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 11 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 05:22:03 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
If particles that routinely hit the earth with 100,000,000 times as much energy as the LHC don't cause black holes, what makes you think the LHC will?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-energy_cosmic_ray
this dude in one of my class said so and like he knows a lot about stuff. seriously hes a genius and has read a ton of books. he solves integrals for fun, not even joking.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 05:40:26 PM)

one of my good buddies just got back from spending 3 months at LHC

they let him keep a few black holes
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 13 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 05:41:29 PM)

There's no realistic danger, and all of this is media hype, end of story.

EDIT: Also, the high energy collisions don't start until late October. Tomorrow they're just circulating a beam for the first time.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 05:47:02 PM)

That's pretty much why nobody who actually understands it is worried. Cosmic rays occur, and have been occurring for billions of years, some with much much higher energies than anything the LHC will ever produce, indeed probably with higher energy than any particle accelerator as we know it will EVER produce. No black holes yet.

Of course, critics then argue well we don't know that because if it did create one, they would be moving so fast that they'd go through earth, but one the LHC created would be moving slow enough to stick around. Even if you take that into account, the black hole will evaporate faster than a picosecond later. Of course the die-hard paranoids then go on to say well Hawking radiation maybe isn't real. OK, even IF that is the case, the black hole formed will be smaller than the size of a proton. The amount of time that will pass before it is likely to encounter a particle will be many lifetimes of the universe [aka the blackhole will grow incredibly slowly, so slowly the Earth will end from the death of the sun well before any blackhole became a problem].

It should be noted that the whole notion of a black hole being made itself comes in part due to string theory, which itself is pretty dubious. So you have a dubious theory that in dubious circumstances [large, but not too large dimensions] can potentially create a black hole. I don't know what the actual odds of this are [I am sure a CERN scientist has calculated it though, and I think it was of the order of 1 in 10^27].

That said, if it does end the world I can at least say I had some contribution to it coal
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 15 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 07:33:18 PM)

It also shows a total lack of understanding of probabilities. The same people who want the LHC shut down because of the apocalypse probably drive on the highway or smoke cigarettes.
"I used the internet to get laid once. That is not a shining moment of pride for me. The worst thing? She evidently gave me chlamydia, which I evidently got cleared up."
-Wandering Idiot
D
Administrator

Reply 16 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 07:59:48 PM)

Did you just take a jab at people who drive on the highway?
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 17 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 08:10:09 PM)

Gas guzzling fascists.
-Wandering Idiot
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 18 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 08:10:59 PM)

freeway driving is actually more efficient than city driving hth
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 19 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 08:24:06 PM)

What's wrong with the highway?
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
D
Administrator

Reply 20 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-09-08 08:25:18 PM)

Yeah i'm really confused
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 21 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-10-08 04:04:18 AM)

I'm just saying you have a much higher chance getting killed driving on the highway than dying from black holes caused by physics experiments in Switzerland.
-Wandering Idiot
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 22 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-10-08 04:31:14 AM)

You have an insanely higher chance of getting killed on the highway. Like, if you were seriously worried about the LHC killing you, you would never ever go within 1000 miles of a highway because the odds are something like at least 1019 better that you'll die on a highway than via the LHC.

At any rate, today's run is still a test, designed to make sure there are no problems with the magnetic guidance and to ensure they can actually circulate a beam all the way around. Energy for this is a mere 450GeV (0.45TeV) which happens to be the injection energy. Later when it is officially unveiled (the LHC), they will ramp it up to 7TeV creating 14 TeV collisions. Far as I know this will happen in October.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Siret
who the flying fuck is siret?

Ballkicks: (+14 / -2)
Reg. Date: Sep 2006
Reply 23 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-10-08 07:05:33 AM)

Well, I am disappointed.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

Reply 24 of 90 (Originally posted on: 09-10-08 07:56:33 AM)

The best chance humans have of destroying the world is with nuclear war. But nature does a much better job than we do. Just wait for the next big asteroid.

This sums it up:
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/
-Wandering Idiot
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5769 | Total Posts: 90 ]