Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > People you like and respect but can't help but think they hate you > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3866 | Total Posts: 56 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-06-08 12:09:16 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Do you guys do this? Do you ever like or respect someone but can't help but feel like they don't like you? For example, my 8th grade algebra teacher. I thought he was very smart, and hilarious. But I felt like everything I said to him, I was coming off like an idiot/jackass.

Same with my friend I had from 6th grade all the way through my senior year. He was the school's "really smart asian kid," and we had been through a lot, been good friends, but I always got the feeling like he didn't really like me.

It makes me feel like if i'm not trying hard to be smart, that I just sound like an idiot because i'm so lighthearted. And if I am trying hard to be smart, then I sound like an idiot because i'm not as smart as them, and they can tell i'm trying.

I think its mostly with people who I respect for being very smart or very talented. Its like I feel that they're so smart that they can clearly see that i'm not smart enough to be worth their respect or liking. Repeat that last sentence but this time replace the word "smart" with "talented."

Its probably just an insecurity thing, but I talked to someone and they said they do same thing. It seems like an interesting topic. There are even some members on INTL I feel this way about.

I wonder, do you guys do this?
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 1 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 12:43:11 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I had a boss like that once, but I was never really able to tell if he really disliked me or was just pretending to because that was sort of his persona.

I can be pretty picky over who I respect though; like if you're a fucking genius but a jackass too, well I just see "jackass" irregardless(kekeke u give soj???).

I think there's also a point where a person can be so good at something that they can withhold the right to be an asshole, but that's not really your question.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 08:03:00 AM)

I once met one of my heroes, completely by chance, at a show and sat directly in front of him (it was the only chair left, go figure), and all I could manage to say is that I recognized him from his picture and that I was a big fan. I was also looking pretty haggard, having run about two kilometers in under eight minutes in winter.

I don't know what he thought, but I wasn't able to talk to him after that. The show started and everyone else was busy talking to him. I recognized them, because I had seen them in shows that my hero had written/directed.

It wasn't hate, I guess. Just a really out of place dude in a room full of about twenty five great people. And no others. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I have a couple friends I'm very supportive of, but every time I ask them to hang out, they either are already busy or arrange a rain date that is never followed up on, no matter how specific.
how is this for a quote
D
Administrator

Reply 3 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 12:23:50 PM)

Yeah I agree British Agent. I mean people that you not only respect for their abilities, but like as a person. Meaning they're not a jackass, or a hardcore racist or womanizer or any other thing that would make you dislike any ordinary person. Meaning you would like them even if they weren't smart or talented.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 03:07:05 PM)

I kind of get this feeling whenever I have the opportunity to meet one of the performers at a show. Musical/acting/performing skills notwithstanding, they can be great at interacting with the audience and come off as really nice, genuine people, but I never know what to say to them besides "excellent set" or words to those effect. I have a friend, however, who has the ability to spark conversations with musicians that have lasted 30 minutes or more, and I envy her for the ease with which she does it.

I think part of it is a confidence issue, and a feeling that it's hard to interact with someone on the same level. There's the thought that the reason I'm interacting with this person is to some extent due to this thing that they are better at than I, and I don't know if I can hold my own talking about that thing with them. This may or may not be actually true (you may be better equipped than you give yourself credit for, or the person may be perfectly happy to interact with you regardless of your knowledge), but it often feels that way regardless.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 5 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 03:47:40 PM)

Quote:
. I have a friend, however, who has the ability to spark conversations with musicians that have lasted 30 minutes or more, and I envy her for the ease with which she does it.

I've noticed this with musicians too.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 6 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 06:12:33 PM)

Quoted from Spiff:
Musical/acting/performing skills notwithstanding, they can be great at interacting with the audience and come off as really nice, genuine people, but I never know what to say to them besides "excellent set" or words to those effect.

One time I got to meet a set designer for a show that I really liked. I was so in awe that all I could come up with was "I loved the red things you hung on the grid!" I probably looked like the world's biggest dimwit. Aaaand definitely not professional.

I'm pretty sure my favourite professor couldn't stand me. Probably because I kept taking his upper level classes even though I wasn't in the major program. He once told me to go back to translating poems by old dead people. That one stung, but at least he got my major right for once.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
izzy

used to be really horrible

Ballkicks: (+359 / -99)
Reply 7 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 11:33:21 PM)

why do you hate me dimi
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 8 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-07-08 09:10:37 PM)

I actually get this all the time. I have a hard time accepting that people actually do like me, and it's not all some cosmic act that will explode at any time.

Yeah, middle school fucked me up good.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
Simfish II

Ballkicks: (+7 / -0)
Reg. Date: Feb 2007
Reply 9 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-07-08 09:33:15 PM)

I have a tendency to alienate entire forums, which tends to include people that I highly respect. I actually don't really dislike anyone - there's generally something to respect about a lot of people. So I guess this has made me "LURK MOAR" now.
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 10 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 07:28:20 AM)

At my core, I respect no one and hate every one. The people I meet and must be acquainted with in order to "move ahead" (ie. my Phi Beta Kappa ôbrothersö, my professors, other students, my parents, et cetera) in life I only tolerate with superficial politeness and gentility. It must be a convincing act, however, because they have had no excuse, yet, to find fault with me and remove me from their various institutions.

If, however, I were to be asked frankly what I feel of them all without fear of social reprisals and floggings, I would tell them I despise not only their superior positions over me but their petty idiosyncrasies, the way they look, the way the smell, and any and all other flaws I glare at every single day without public acknowledgement.

Consequently, whenever I meet someone who is polite towards me, I realize that it is almost certainly an act and they are seeking the exact same thing I am with the exact same deceptive benevolence I outwardly show. I hate people, I hate the world, and most of all, I hate playing any part in it. So, really, it is not surprising to me at all when I see the thing you should have realized long ago, Dimi.

Quote:
And if I am trying hard to be smart, then I sound like an idiot because i'm not as smart as them, and they can tell i'm trying.

ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 07:30:19 AM)

Awww.
*hugs vissario*
đonne onwŠcne­ eft wineleas guma, gesih­ him biforan fealwe wegas, ba■ian brimfuglas, brŠdan fe■ra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Ůonne beo­ ■y hefigran heortan benne, sare Šfter swŠsne. Sorg bi­ geniwad ■onne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfe­, grete­ gliwstafum, georne geondsceawa­ secga geseldan; swimma­ oft on weg. Fleotendra fer­ no ■Šr fela bringe­ cu­ra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 12 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 07:48:51 AM)

Quoted from vietsarrio:

If, however, I were to be asked frankly what I feel of them all without fear of social reprisals and floggings, I would tell them I despise not only their superior positions over me but their petty idiosyncrasies, the way they look, the way the smell, and any and all other flaws I glare at every single day without public acknowledgement.

You resent them for being superior to you? Oh, aren't you a conceited brat.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 13 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 07:53:38 AM)

Quoted from Sunflake:
Quoted from vietsarrio:

You're telling me you enjoy being ordered around by people who almost certainly enjoy being a higher-up than yourself? It's better to be honest than self-delusional.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 14 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 07:58:02 AM)

Quoted from vietsarrio:
Quoted from Sunflake:
Quoted from vietsarrio:

You're telling me you enjoy being ordered around by people who almost certainly enjoy being a higher-up than yourself? It's better to be honest than self-delusional.
You should try to comprehend the fact that not everybody can be "on top" and try to "work" so that you can "succeed" in life.

Bitching and getting pissed off won't help shit.
atlas sighed (at me)

Reply 15 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:02:30 AM)

I don't expect anyone to do anything for me without the proper incentive.

I am getting to where I want to go by doing what it is that must be done; cuddling the appendage of other people's 'fee'ings'. I am not even bitching and complaining here, I am simply stating the fact that I genuinely dislike the broad swathe of humanity I encounter every day.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 16 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:24:18 AM)

Quoted from vietsy:
i hate everyone irregardlesskekeke u give soj??? of who they are

Such a negative outlook on life certainly can't be healthy. What is it that makes you better than the "broad swathe of humanity"? Do you look and smell better than they do?
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
"So it goes." - KV
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 17 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:27:24 AM)

In my thoughts of Vissario, I never considered that he might "smell good." In fact, I don't think I've considered most of your smells (except Drah). This is a new outlet to explore for me.

(P.S. I use tea tree shampoo/leave-in conditioner and have a pepperminty soap, with some Armani Code on top. They go well together!)
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 18 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:45:09 AM)

Quoted from vietsarrio:
my Phi Beta Kappa ôbrothersö

wow vietsy is a frat-boy. Never would have guessed.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:48:39 AM)

Is that a real frat, or a Christian one or something? big grin
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reply 20 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 08:51:47 AM)

or is it just the vietnamese student association
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 21 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 03:22:01 PM)

Quoted from IF0:
In my thoughts of Vissario, I never considered that he might "smell good." In fact, I don't think I've considered most of your smells (except Drah). This is a new outlet to explore for me.

(P.S. I use tea tree shampoo/leave-in conditioner and have a pepperminty soap, with some Armani Code on top. They go well together!)

Will you sniff me when we meet up?
Snook
INTL Premium Member

enlightening 6 year olds on the horrors of war

Ballkicks: (+247 / -65)
Reg. Date: Jun 2003
Reply 22 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 09:39:02 PM)

Viss is one of the most convincing acts I've ever seen.
Hello my name is Kristoffer J°rgensen and I am from Norweigen I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!
D
Administrator

Reply 23 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 10:01:30 PM)

Quote:

Consequently, whenever I meet someone who is polite towards me, I realize that it is almost certainly an act and they are seeking the exact same thing I am with the exact same deceptive benevolence I outwardly show. I hate people, I hate the world, and most of all, I hate playing any part in it. So, really, it is not surprising to me at all when I see the thing you should have realized long ago, Dimi.

I've said it many times before. The only reason I ever argue with you is as a type of practice. Just as an exercise in expressing my thoughts, or sometimes in expressing thoughts that aren't mine.

I may be setting myself up, but I have no idea what you're getting at. Do enlighten me.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 24 of 56 (Originally posted on: 09-08-08 10:06:45 PM)

Ahahaha, phi beta kappa...not sure you could call them brothers.
Spiff: amphytrite, the anti-tart
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3866 | Total Posts: 56 ]