Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > I am posting this thread with Google Chrome. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2350 | Total Posts: 24 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-02-08 01:27:20 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

So far so good. I'm really loving the minimalistic UI to chrome. Plus there's the "incognito window" option which lets you surf the web without leaving behind a trace (supposedly) on the computer.

But it really just feels like Google Firefox to me. Opinions?
I'm the conjurer of demons,
I'm the father of your death.
I bring forth the ancient evil,
I control his every breath.
I instigate your misfortune,
With the birth of killing trolls.
I awaken armageddon,
Feeding on a thousand souls.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-02-08 02:32:16 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

fuck the floaty status bar shit gives me a headache

browser is fast though
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 2 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-02-08 04:12:59 PM)

I'm liking it so far. I read a lot of the little comic they released and it seems pretty awesome. I love the minimalist approach to it. I just wish I could move my bookmarks onto the same line as the address bar. The fewer lines up there the better. Maybe theres a way I haven't figured out yet.

It does load really fast, thats really cool.

Floating status bar is kinda distracting but i'll be happy once I get over it. I always liked having the status bar but hated that it took up another extra line. Now I get to have both.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 3 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-02-08 05:54:32 PM)

Oh wow, is it ever fast.

INTL works good on it too, so I'm happy big grin
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 4 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-02-08 08:25:26 PM)

It's definitely interesting to see a viable alternative on the market. I've always been a fan of Google, despite the fact that they are notorious for recycling ideas and putting their own Google spin on it. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. At least they recognize that they owe a great debt to Webkit and Mozilla for the creation of this browser.

The ideas behind the browser are pretty interesting. I like the idea of having tabs spawn their own individual processes that have limited privileges outside of the realm of actually rendering the current page. It can potentially rid the Internet of malicious security bugs that have haunted IE and Firefox in the past. At least if a security exploit is found that can allow the tab processes to hijack the parent/umbrella process, it can be patched very easily.

Not to mention, a minor memory flaw in a single-process multi-threaded browser can potentially crash the entire browser, so it's nice to see that Chrome is taking a different approach to ensure that annoying shit like that, although one-in-a-million for most people, can be bypassed easily.

I'm not an expert on this, so ety or whomever, feel free to correct me, but my major concern is that the overhead involved in running multiple processes versus multiple threads can potentially spiral out of control, if plugins, javascript, tabs, etc are granted their own process. On slower machines this might end up making the browser faster, but other applications slower since the browser is hogging more and more processor bandwidth. On faster machines and machines with multiple processors, I don't imagine that to be a big problem. Again, not an expert, take this with a grain of salt (and if you know better, please correct me.)

All in all, it's nice to see some new blood in the browser race. Honestly, I don't care much for it at the moment, I'm sure as they add new features, it'll adapt quite nicely, they're off to a great start with an initial release of this quality.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 5 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 08:20:15 AM)

yikes, this is mighty fast.

guess I'll finally lose Avant now. I just wish you could customize more, like browser colors and placement of the tabs.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
DragonQ
Your worst nightmare.

:)

Ballkicks: (+7 / -7)
Reg. Date: Apr 2008
Reply 6 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 09:07:40 AM)

It sure is fast and even starts up quickly (unlike Firefox) but they have, like Microsoft did with IE8 Beta 1/2, copied Firefox's non-movable/adjustable toolbars. How depressing.
D
Administrator

Reply 7 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 10:41:48 AM)

Yeah, that URL bar is much longer then it would ever need to be on my screen. I wish I could stick my bookmarks on that line to save some vertical space.

I loaded the same webpage on IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Chrome used about 15,000K, firefox used about 30,000, and IE used about 90,000. Awesome.
DragonQ
Your worst nightmare.

Reply 8 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 11:11:49 AM)

O_O

What webpage is that? If I open each browser and just load up INTL, the memory usage is as follows:

IE7: 10-20MB (depending on if you minimise and then restore or not)
Firefox: 42MB
Chrome: 35MB

:/
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 11:27:28 AM)

http://www.villanova.edu
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 10 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 03:24:11 PM)

Just beware if you are using it to some security problems. (i.e. just because Google brands it doesn't mean it is safe)

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

Quote:
Just hours after the release of Google Chrome, researcher Aviv Raff discovered that he could combine two vulnerabilities — a flaw in Apple Safari (WebKit) and a Java bug discussed at this year’s Black Hat conference — to trick users into launching executables direct from the new browser.

Raff has cooked up a harmless demo of the attack in action, showing how a Google Chrome users can be lured into downloading and launching a JAR (Java Archive) file that gets executed without warning.

[ SEE: Google Chrome, the security tidbits ]

In the proof-of-concept, Raff’s code shows how a malicious hacker can use a clever social engineering lure — it requires two mouse clicks — to plant malware on Windows desktops.

The Google Chrome user-agent shows that Chrome is actually WebKit 525.13 (Safari 3.1), which is an outdated/vulnerable version of that browser.

Apple patched the carpet-bombing issue with Safari v3.1.2.

Some Google Chrome early adopters using Windows Vista are reporting that files downloaded from the Internet are automatically dropped on the desktop, setting up a scenario where a combo-attack using this unpatched IE flaw could be used in attacks.

"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 11 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 05:41:45 PM)

Would you really expect the browser to be flaw free at its release?
Ryan
Big Sausage Pizza

From west philadelphia born and raised on the playground it's said I spent most of my days

Ballkicks: (+64 / -17)
Reg. Date: Nov 2006
Reply 12 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 05:54:09 PM)

about:%
‹just dandy› but. again. funnel aspect. I don't want anything put in there unawares. I'm no Richard Gere.
‹Purple› If it was Sunny doing it, s/he'd be pretty rough
‹just dandy› ouch. I just involuntarily clenched.
DragonQ
Your worst nightmare.

Reply 13 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 05:58:30 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
Would you really expect the browser to be flaw free at its release?

It is also only a beta release remember. i'm a serial-killer :)
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 14 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 06:59:10 PM)

the best part of chrome is about:internets if you didnt know this yet
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 15 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-03-08 07:21:39 PM)

Quoted from Purple:
about:%
ahahahaha fantastic
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 16 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-04-08 08:58:37 AM)

Well given that the bug is known about, and there is even a newer version of the code from Apple that Google is using, it doesn't seem much to ask that a known old bug is not there, especially from Google. Still as you said it is a Beta release. Hopefully it won't stay in Beta forever and when it does come out it will be great.

There is some talk that both IE8 and Chrome represent the first in a line of browsers that will significantly increase the basic minimum requirements needed to look at the web, utilizing many thread processes.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/03/36TC-browsers_1.html

I look forward to seeing what happens when full releases of IE8 and Chrome occur.
"We've arranged a civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." -Carl Sagan
pl0x

now you're redundant if you say anything

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jan 2007
Reply 17 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-04-08 12:57:09 PM)

Quoted from DragonQ:
O_O

What webpage is that? If I open each browser and just load up INTL, the memory usage is as follows:

IE7: 10-20MB (depending on if you minimise and then restore or not)
Firefox: 42MB
Chrome: 35MB

:/

memory usage, not commit charge.
ben is a golden sex god ohmygodilovehim BONE BONE BONE
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 18 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-04-08 02:44:44 PM)

Quoted from Science Brad:
Well given that the bug is known about, and there is even a newer version of the code from Apple that Google is using, it doesn't seem much to ask that a known old bug is not there, especially from Google. Still as you said it is a Beta release. Hopefully it won't stay in Beta forever and when it does come out it will be great.

There is some talk that both IE8 and Chrome represent the first in a line of browsers that will significantly increase the basic minimum requirements needed to look at the web, utilizing many thread processes.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/03/36TC-browsers_1.html

I look forward to seeing what happens when full releases of IE8 and Chrome occur.

Google's solution of using many processes only uses more memory when you have few tabs open. With many tabs open, you end up saving memory, and if it's leaking memory, you can isolate the tab that is doing it and close it, unlike every other browser.
DragonQ
Your worst nightmare.

Reply 19 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 12:27:56 AM)

Quoted from gr1m:
memory usage, not commit charge.

Where did I say that was commit charge? OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?

Quoted from antpocas:
Google's solution of using many processes only uses more memory when you have few tabs open. With many tabs open, you end up saving memory, and if it's leaking memory, you can isolate the tab that is doing it and close it, unlike every other browser.

IE8 does the same, tis very useful, although I think the way it worked in IE8 Beta 1 was that all tabs were in the same process until one of them crashed. Then it would restart your browser, restore all of the tabs in a separate process and then warn you about the tab that caused the error. You can then close that tab using Task Manager if it causes another isolated crash/freeze.
Shadowe

I kinda want to see that up someone's ass

Ballkicks: (+90 / -84)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 20 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 02:53:39 AM)

Does chrome let you switch tabs while certain boxes are open or do you often get locked into a tab while doing specific things?
Hanlon's Razor: Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 21 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-06-08 07:58:44 AM)

Quoted from DragonQ:
IE8 does the same, tis very useful, although I think the way it worked in IE8 Beta 1 was that all tabs were in the same process until one of them crashed. Then it would restart your browser, restore all of the tabs in a separate process and then warn you about the tab that caused the error. You can then close that tab using Task Manager if it causes another isolated crash/freeze.

If I understand IE correctly, it doesn't do quite the same thing as Chrome. IE8 will run multiple threads but not multiple processes. It takes sorta a hybrid approach.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like

This reply was last edited on 09-09-08 07:06:34 PM by emtilt.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 22 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-11-08 12:32:38 PM)

So I found out that Chrome isn't really anything original. There is already a linux program called Prism which uses Mozilla to do (from what I understand) almost the exact same thing.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 23 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-12-08 07:05:05 AM)

Quoted from mac:
So I found out that Chrome isn't really anything original. There is already a linux program called Prism which uses Mozilla to do (from what I understand) almost the exact same thing.
Not really.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 24 of 24 (Originally posted on: 09-13-08 09:37:36 PM)

it runs each web page as it's own process in "application mode" and you can turn nav bar/ url bar off if you want.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2350 | Total Posts: 24 ]