Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > INTL Fantasy Hockey > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 9316 | Total Posts: 105 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 08-10-08 03:06:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Okay the leagues are open now, so here's the thread.

Consider this the sign-up thread.

Tartarus
Dimi
Hoff
Emtilt
Drahnier
Alyantis
Anybody else looking to play?

Also: Kinda need your guys input on how your want the scoring to work.
As of now, it's going to be set like this:
Code:

9 forwards
5 defense
2 goalies (maximum 4 on roster)
1 utility
5 bench sports

82 game limit for each player

This is the default ESPN settings. The default ESPN point system looks like this:
Code:
Goals-3pts
Assists-2pts
+/- 1pt
PPG -1pt
SHG -2pts
Penalty Minutes -0.3pts

Goalie:
Games won -5pts
Goals Against -(-1)pt
Saves -0.2pts
Shutout -3pts

Now there are also options to add points for: Faceoff wins, Shots on Goal, Game Winning Goals, Hat Tricks

Personally, I think we should add points for Faceoff Wins, GWG, and Hat tricks. I also think we should consider bumping the +/- stats down to 0.5, as any hockey mind knows that +/- stats are a very bad judge of a player's effectiveness.
Do you think 5pts for a Goalie's Win is too much? I kinda think it might be.
Do you think it's worth awarding points for penalty minutes? I personally don't think we should.

As of now, I'm planning for a draft in the early days of September, as this will be before the NHL preseason.

Looking for comments. League will open in a few days after I get a rough idea of who's playing. Right now I think we have 6 peeps, but it may be nice to get 2 more.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 1 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 03:19:35 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think 5 points for goalies might be ok, it just kinda makes goalies the running backs of fantasy football. But I wouldn't care much if it was dropped. The extra points for faceoffs and all the ones you listed sounds good to me too. But I've never really done fantasy hockey before so I'm not sure what would be best.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 03:41:04 PM)

I don't really care what the point values are. I've never done fantasy hockey so I don't know how well different settings will work as far as gameplay goes.

How does the 82 game limit work?

Six people is pretty small, so I hope all you other people decide to play.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 3 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 04:02:06 PM)

The NHL season is only 82 games, so I'm assuming it will only be relevant if a player is traded halfway through the season, and manages to pick up an 83rd game.
Really I don't think it will even happen.

I'm sure Nova would play, if anybody has his contact info.

Also, sunny has claimed to know something about hockey, but frankly I don't believe anything sunny says so who knows.

MAJOR ISSUE: Do you guys want the weekly head vs. head like Baseball, or would you rather have a cumulative total match?
There are half as many hockey games as they are baseball games, so I think the weekly matchup thing might prove to be unfair (as some players will have some very busy weeks, while others will not)
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 4 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 04:51:18 PM)

I'll play if you can't find enough people. I don't know any player names beyond Jeremy Roenick and Wayne Gretzky from back on the Sega days. I guess I know that Penguins forward.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 5 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 05:14:29 PM)

Yeah lets try and get more then 6 people in on this.

The point values seem pretty small in comparison with baseball, but they're uniformly small I guess so thats okay.

I like extra points for Game Winning Goals and Hat Tricks. Faceoff win points would suck I think, because some players just never take faceoffs, and some are just amazing at it. I guess thats part of strategy for it, but that seems kinda silly because you can get a ton of faceoffs wins in one game, when a player who is just as good in every aspect will just take 0 faceoffs. I dunno, it seems kinda stupid to me.

Shots on Goal is a maybe. How many points?

Cumulative seems boring to me, as it takes a lot of the luck out of an activity that requires little personal skill. Seems like watching a total point tally is less fun, but I could be wrong.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 6 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 05:20:24 PM)

Is there not just a generic ESPN rules to go by? Wouldn't it make sense that ESPN has probly sorted out an effective way to keep score?
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 7 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 05:23:25 PM)

How does the cumulative point thing work? Just total number of points at the end of the season?

Baseball also had an option that, I think, was something like everyday was a game. So you might be the best team in the league but have a bad day and get destroyed by the worst team, but overall your record will show that you are consistently the best team.

And I think one of the reason points seems higher in baseball is because there are a lot of thing that could happen and I added the option of bases. So a home run was 5, each base was 4, and a run scored was 1 and any rbi's can be added to that. So with baseball they all kinda stacked on top of each other with just one play.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 8 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 07:43:42 PM)

Dimi I kinda agree with you on the Faceoff's issue. Winger's obviously aren't there to take faceoffs, so the point scoring would be sort of geared towards Centers, which shouldn't be the case.

As for shots on goal...I'm not sure. I think giving it some sort of fractional value...like 0.2.
I don't know though...it might be a dumb addition.
D
Administrator

Reply 9 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-10-08 08:06:06 PM)

It could be okay because sometimes the worst thing a team can do is not take any shots. Really, the best thing a defense can do is prevent the offense from having any opportunity to take shots. Goals are so often messy and lucky (and denied goalies can be just as lucky) that shots on goal can sometimes show more skill then goal totals.

But yeah, a small fractional value is probably the only way to do it.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 10 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 05:14:06 AM)

Quoted from IF0:
Is there not just a generic ESPN rules to go by? Wouldn't it make sense that ESPN has probly sorted out an effective way to keep score?

D
Administrator

Reply 11 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 05:16:48 AM)

Let us think we're smarter then ESPN for a little while
IF0
Administrator

Reply 12 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 05:49:49 AM)

That's probably not too hard to accomplish, actually.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 13 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 06:21:20 AM)

Yea I'd like to think that Hockey is the one sport ESPN doesn't know shit about. Their coverage of the NHL is terrible.

Actually, when I get home from work today, I'll check out some other fantasy sites and see what their scoring looks like. We'll stick with ESPN, but maybe use a different scoring method if I find that one that works.

As of now, I'm thinking the most appropriate changes might just be to bump the +/- down to 0.5, and give 1 extra point for a Game Winning Goal. How would you feel about that setup?
D
Administrator

Reply 14 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 10:56:55 AM)

Yeah I like the idea of sticking with ESPN's basics but adding things for a few of those other possible categories.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 15 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 04:00:47 PM)

Yea I've changed my mind...I don't want to be responsible for fucking up the gameplay by making my own changes.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 16 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 04:06:51 PM)

You learned from hoff, huh.
DRAHNIER
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 17 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 04:12:33 PM)

Wins is really a mark on picking a team rather than a goalie me thinks. I don't really like that it's 5 points for a goalie. Saves = .2pts? So Osgood gets fucked because he faces 20 shots a game? What are the other options with goalies.

I'm fine with 5 pts for a win considering goals given up is -1 pt. So you win 3-2, you get 3 points, that's cool by me. Shutouts being 3... the same as a goal? Really? I think a shutout is worth more than that. I mean it really doesn't matter as long you just realize it going into the draft that you're going to pick a good goalie on a good team. Anybody picking Luongo is going to be crazy then.
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 18 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-11-08 05:07:55 PM)

Osgood isn't going to get fucked because he's playing on a good team. The Saves=0.2pts is meant to award points to the goalies that are playing on shitty teams. For example, Pascal Leclaire. Easily one of the best goalies in the league last year, but playing on a horrendous team.

Typical Detroit games look like this:
22 shots against, 2-1 Detroit

Osgood scores 8.4 points

Now a typical, say, Columbus game:
35 shots against, 2-1 for the other team

Pascal Leclaire scores 5 points

...at least that's the way ESPN wants it...regardless of the fact that Leclaire is a much, much better goalie, and if Leclaire was playing on Detroit he would literally be getting shutouts every night.

But I see your point about shutouts not being worth alot compared to the players.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 19 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-12-08 04:29:09 PM)

I don't know what the fuck I was saying about Osgood originally, I concede your point. However, do we agree that Leclaire should have more points than Osgood in that case? So like I said, we're just going to pick a "good" goalie on the best team available instead of picking the best goalies. What if we just eliminate wins not counting for anything? Saves = .2, goals = -1, that essentially gives rankings for save percentages and goals against, which is how we mostly measure goalies stat wise.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 20 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-13-08 05:56:56 AM)

I think wins has to be in there. Whats wrong with picking a good goalie on the best team. You don't have to pick the best nhl goalie, you have to pick the best fantasy goalie.
D
Administrator

Reply 21 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-13-08 07:13:28 AM)

Yeah, I agree. That will play into the strategy of the game, and theres nothing wrong with it.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Reply 22 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-13-08 02:37:01 PM)

Not saying that there's anything wrong with it. Just pointing it out that's how it's going to be.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

Reply 23 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-13-08 06:28:13 PM)

I'm kinda confused about this whole league managing thing.

Try to join this:
http://games.espn.go.com/fhl/leagueoffice?leagueId=2480
IF0
Administrator

Reply 24 of 105 (Originally posted on: 08-13-08 06:39:41 PM)

On the Members tab there should be a link at the bottom.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9316 | Total Posts: 105 ]