Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Army Medical Corp (I'm looking at you, Sandy) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1227 | Total Posts: 32 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Ballsack 5.0

i'd like to see a pic of ice's duck

Ballkicks: (+91 / -77)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 08-01-08 12:50:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Here's the deal, folks. Serving in the military has been something I have thought on and off about since the beginning of freshman year in college. I have personal reasons for wanting to serve in the military that are sentimental, naive, lame, etc. I also have literally no fucking idea what serving in the US military means. None what so fucking ever. So if you are thinking I am a naive douchebag, you are 100% correct.

Honestly, there is no way in hell I could join the US military as a soldier. I am weak and a bit of a pussy, my parents would have a heart attack (literally), and basically it would destroy my family. It's not an option. And, I have a totally fucked up and romantacized view of what serving in the military is like. I have heard Sandy say it before -- don't join the military for reasons that are fluffy and sentimental.

Ok, so. We've established that I'm a pussy who can't serve as a soldier. But, I do have another option -- the Army Medical Corp. I am applying to medical school this year, and as long as I don't have nervous breakdown the day of my MCAT, I have a good chance i get in. If I don't, I can apply again next year. But the basic point is that I will probably become a doctor within the next 4-5 years. There are all sorts of perks I guess, like money and all, but that won't be a huge factor for me, since my in state medical school is relatively cheap.

So it comes down to the fact that I have no real reason to join the army in terms of money, training, etc. I want to join the Medical Corp because 1) it is the only part of the military I am even moderatly qualified for and 2) I want to serve.

With that being said, am I a fucking moron? I am perfectly open to that possibility.

Also, Sandy, could you just shed some light of what serving in the medical corp consists of?
Would I go through basic training?
Would I be an officer?
What's their scope of service -- warzones or stateside?

Quote:
Your training time depends on your chosen specialty and whether or not you have prior military experience. You must also meet height and weight standards, as well as pass the Army Physical Fitness Test.

Fuck. I have to be a specific height? Is 5 foot 7.5 too short? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

EDIT:

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=312

No basic training for military doctors. Just a leadership course.

Also, height and weight requirements extend down to 4 foot 10 i'm a serial-killer :) so I am good i'm a serial-killer :)
<<<<<amphy; next week: sunny; week after: kayte; pm me if you want to be in the loop MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
This reply was last edited on 08-01-08 01:19:27 PM by Ballsack 5.0.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 1 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:01:46 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I know that if you join the Army with a degree, you are automatically granted officer rank.
“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?” - Chris Rock
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 2 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:03:27 PM)

Well, I'll have bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering (lol the lamest engineering type) in about 8 months, so good deal. Thanks for the info.
<<<<<amphy; next week: sunny; week after: kayte; pm me if you want to be in the loop MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 3 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:09:53 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
I know that if you join the Army with a degree, you are automatically granted officer rank.
Is that true for all degrees?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:12:44 PM)

I am not sure... but I think so. The army pays and gives rank based on education and time served. He will be compensated as long as his degree has at least something to do with his army job.

You are gonna have to deal with a lot of haters though. Seriously, if I were you I would join the Navy or the Marines rather than the army. I live in the middle of an Army base, and most of the people that are stationed here are criminals and thugs. The other branches of the armed services seem to be a little friendlier.
“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon.' Need I say more?” - Chris Rock
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 5 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:31:03 PM)

You have to complete OCS to get that there officer ranking.

They require a 3.0 GPA or so to get into, though the Air Force requires 3.5.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 6 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 01:33:32 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
Uhhhh. Not entirely true. For medical, perhaps. I've heard of medical doctors joining the military as officers without any formal training and entering as high as O-4 rank (Major). This doesn't extend to all degrees in general though. If you join the military as a Philosophy major, you aren't just given officer rank. You have to earn it by attending Basic Training and then going to Officer Candidate School (OCS), then another couple additional schools after that, depending on what you become (Infantry, Signal, Medical, and so forth).

In terms of medical, I really have no idea. I was in the Ordnance and Signal Corp and don't have any real experience dealing with the Medical aspect of it all. There are so many different Corps and divisions of the military and each one is governed in its own way, has its own rules, and ways of handling things, I can't really say what to expect. Each unit is unique it and of itself.

Your best bet is to go talk to a recruiter about it, but make it clear that you're not interested in enlisting. That or talk to someone at your university who deals with Veteran's Affairs (they can usually direct you to someone more qualified to answer this than I am) or that you know was in the military as medical, if anyone (maybe a professor you had knows someone who was a military doctor). You may also want to look into some kind of ROTC program as well to familiarize yourself with military manner of dealing with things (not as romantic as they make it appear in the movies).

Basically, just do research and talk to people, don't just jump into anything at all, without being fully aware of what to expect in terms of what training you'd need to go through, what your entering rank would be, and so forth. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO ENLISTMENT if your plan is to be a military doctor. There is a fine line between Officer and Enlisted. Huge fucking difference.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 7 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 04:02:47 PM)

Thanks for the post, Sandy.

Enlistment sounds...terrible. The website makes it clear that medical doctors can only be commissioned officers, not enlistees, so I guess it doesn't matter either way for what I am considering.

Were you enlisted?

And, secondly, it seems like enlisted soldiers are expected to join for a bit, do their tour, then quit and go find a civilian career. Are comissioned officers generally people who make the military their career?

And, lastly, will being in the military help me get girls. girls love a man in uniform rite MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Quote:
You are gonna have to deal with a lot of haters though. Seriously, if I were you I would join the Navy or the Marines rather than the army. I live in the middle of an Army base, and most of the people that are stationed here are criminals and thugs. The other branches of the armed services seem to be a little friendlier.

I wonder if people will call me Paki if I join MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
This reply was last edited on 08-01-08 04:25:25 PM by Ballsack 5.0.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 8 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 04:56:17 PM)

Quoted from Ballsack 5.0:
Thanks for the post, Sandy.

Enlistment sounds...terrible. The website makes it clear that medical doctors can only be commissioned officers, not enlistees, so I guess it doesn't matter either way for what I am considering.

Were you enlisted?

And, secondly, it seems like enlisted soldiers are expected to join for a bit, do their tour, then quit and go find a civilian career. Are comissioned officers generally people who make the military their career?

And, lastly, will being in the military help me get girls. girls love a man in uniform rite MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Quote:

I wonder if people will call me Paki if I join MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Tell me you aren't joining the Army to get women.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 9 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 05:11:57 PM)

Is that a bad reason? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

And, no. Obviously not! Not even BB would do that.

My two real reasons for wanting to do so are:

1) Sense of duty (AMERICA #1)
2) Desire to stop being such a pussy
This reply was last edited on 08-01-08 05:40:24 PM by Ballsack 5.0.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 10 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 05:14:10 PM)

edit: abort post
This reply was last edited on 08-01-08 05:40:59 PM by Ballsack 5.0.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 11 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 05:15:06 PM)

Is that a bad reason? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

And, no. Obviously not! Not even BB would do that.

My two real reasons for wanting to do so are:

1) Sense of duty (AMERICA #1 + I was in Kuwait during the first Gulf War. Saw American soldiers marching in the city with people waving American flags. It's stuck with me.)
2) Desire to stop being such a pussy

You can stop being a pussy by just not doing things that a pussy would do. As far as America being #1... I think we are the most self serving nation on the planet.

Much easier way to get women and cure your self proclaimed lack of courage would be to do something fast paced and aggressive. Why don't you take up Mixed Martial Arts or something. At least that way the government won't own you.
Ballsack 5.0

Reply 12 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 05:17:06 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
As far as America being #1... I think we are the most self serving nation on the planet.

Are you talking shit about America motherfucker?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 13 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 05:58:43 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
As far as America being #1... I think we are the most self serving nation on the planet.

Are you talking shit about America motherfucker?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 14 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 06:06:09 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
[You can stop being a pussy by just not doing things that a pussy would do. As far as America being #1... I think we are the most self serving nation on the planet.
So what you're really saying is that America is the #1 most self serving nation on the planet.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 15 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 06:20:14 PM)

My father was a medic for the Air Force in Vietnam.
He never talks about it.
I know it's not the same as the medcorp, but it's the only thing that really sticks with me about the military. That it's something people don't seem to like to talk about.
<mmac> do you ever have time to sit back and revel in your coolness?
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 16 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 06:27:43 PM)

Just do me a favor and don't enlist, then come back in 6 months and complain about how you're being sent to war. Nothing baffles me more than someone who joins the army and then gets surprised or upset when they're assigned to fight.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 17 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 06:31:54 PM)

My dad was in Vietnam too, he never talks about it either. I asked him about it a few times and he's only ever told me one story.

It was something like... They were in their base someone in the jungle in some bunker and this guy just lost his mind (an American). He took everyone in the bunker hostage including my dad and threatened to kill everyone if the army didn't let him go home. After a few hours the guy let his guard down and everyone disarmed him.

So yeah, that was an awkward conversation and it made me never want to join the army or ask my dad about Vietnam again.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 18 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 06:54:28 PM)

My dad only ever tells the story about his plane going down in the jungle and him having to stitch up his best friend and three other guys while also trying to fight off the Viet Cong. Oh, and how the same best friend ended up dying from spraying Agent Orange.

Quote:
So yeah, that was an awkward conversation and it made me never want to join the army or ask my dad about Vietnam again.

<mmac> do you ever have time to sit back and revel in your coolness?
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 19 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 07:13:40 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
Quoted from Nickolati:
[You can stop being a pussy by just not doing things that a pussy would do. As far as America being #1... I think we are the most self serving nation on the planet.
So what you're really saying is that America is the #1 most self serving nation on the planet.

Yep. We aren't really humanitarians, now are we?
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 20 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-01-08 08:17:32 PM)

Maybe you should join Pakistans army.

I'm sure they need people as well.
DRAHNIER
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 21 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-02-08 01:04:05 AM)

Can someone tell me who's champion?
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 22 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-02-08 06:46:02 AM)

Why would anyone join the army if they already have a degree?
Šonne onwęcneš eft wineleas guma, gesihš him biforan fealwe wegas, bažian brimfuglas, brędan fežra, hreosan hrim ond snaw hagle gemenged. Žonne beoš žy hefigran heortan benne, sare ęfter swęsne. Sorg biš geniwad žonne maga gemynd mod geondhweorfeš, greteš gliwstafum, georne geondsceawaš secga geseldan; swimmaš oft on weg. Fleotendra ferš no žęr fela bringeš cušra cwidegiedda.
The Wanderer, l. 45-55a
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 23 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-02-08 06:50:11 AM)

They'll pay for your degree (student loans, etc.), because you'd be an officer (better pay, don't start doing bitch work), the benefits of the military (life insurance, health insurance, living expenses, clothing expenses, moving expenses, automatic retirement and pension), looks good on a resume even if you don't go career...

It IS a federal job, and at least in the US, a federal job has all kinds of good things that go with it.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 24 of 32 (Originally posted on: 08-02-08 09:27:40 PM)

From my understanding, the medcorps is for doctors who suck and can't get a job anywhere else.

As to getting girls, think of it this way...

you will be in an area with a 10-1 male to female ratio.

As to thinking it could possibly be good for you think of this...

You are Pakistani, you speak arabic, and you will be around crazy fuckers who just came back from their 5th tour between Iraq and Afghanistan surrounded by arabs who were trying to kill them in horrible ways. They will hate you and say horrible things to you. Not all of them, just some of them.
An atom walks into a bar looking very depressed.
Bartender: What's wrong?
Atom: I've just lost an electron.
Bartender: Are you sure?
Atom: Yeah, I'm positive.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1227 | Total Posts: 32 ]