Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Dark Knight (spoilers herein) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 1884 | Total Posts: 41 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 07-18-08 03:27:53 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This movie was without a doubt one of the best movie I have ever had the pleasure to experience in a movie theater. Other considerations for "best movie theater experience" movies would be Sin City, Cloverfield, Jurassic Park, There Will Be Blood, The Matrix (on opening weekend way before the sequels), and Fight Club.

I was completely mesmerized and sucked in from the beginning to the end. I had a certain level of expectation from the hype surrounding the movie for the last nine months (even before Heath Ledger died) and I can honestly say that it did not disappoint and even went beyond my expectations. Having only recently seen Batman Begins (which I enjoyed), I must say that if you enjoyed Batman Begins, you will absolutely have an orgasm over Dark Knight. Even if you didn't care for the original, you'll probably still enjoy Dark Knight.

I'm not going to say much about the movie overall, as I don't want to spoil anything whatsoever, but Heath Ledger as The Joker was beyond description. He is natural in the role and fleshes out one of the most frightening, if not, most truly villainous fictional characters of all-time (Anton Chigurh comes to mind as a close tie).

In addition to that, Dark Knight manages to maintain a consistent blend of being not only realistic on an emotional response level, but also maintaining that fantastic superhero/supervillain feel that separates it from other comic books that focus entirely on the supernatural without much substance outside of being fantastic or surreal.

Basically, what it boils down to is that this movie is one hell of a theatre experience, well acted, well paced, beautiful, fun, exciting, and everything a comic book movie should be. Watch it, love it, watch it again, love it again.

edit: Up until this point, Sin City has been one of my favorite comic book/graphic novel adapted movies and I have to admit that Dark Knight may very well have surpassed it. Though only time will tell.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-18-08 04:03:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I can't wait to see it. Loved Batman Begins, and this gives me hope that The Dark Knight won't be a let down.
this is my music i hope you like it
this is music i listen to these are movies i like these are books i like
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1306 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-18-08 04:17:48 PM)

Placeholder for forthcoming review. I'm seeing this on Sunday (the 27th).

I was very interested to read the speculations in how this Batman movie related to The Long Hallowe'en?
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 07-20-08 11:22:29 AM by Hasty Penguin.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 3 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-19-08 07:20:07 AM)

Quoted from Jeff:
I'm not going to say much about the movie overall, as I don't want to spoil anything whatsoever, but Heath Ledger as The Joker was beyond description.

I agree. This role was absolutely amazing. From the moment he  killed the man with a pencil  I was hooked.

Quoted from Jeff:
In addition to that, Dark Knight manages to maintain a consistent blend of being not only realistic on an emotional response level, but also maintaining that fantastic superhero/supervillain feel that separates it from other comic books that focus entirely on the supernatural without much substance outside of being fantastic or surreal.

This was the most realistic Batman movie to date. You see the emotional strain that Bruce Wayne goes through, and his dislike for what he/Batman is becoming. It also goes into depth about the relationship between Batman and the Joker, and how they are very similar in nature.

Quoted from Jeff:
Up until this point, Sin City has been one of my favorite comic book/graphic novel adapted movies and I have to admit that Dark Knight may very well have surpassed it. Though only time will tell.

This will be my favorite book/novel adaptation until Watchmen comes out. Did you happen to see that trailer? The little teaser they showed for Terminator Salvation made me happy in the pants too.

I also think that Aaron Eckhart needs to get some sort of acclaim for this movie as well. He did an amazing job playing Harvey Dent. Also, kudos to the writers for the conversation in the hospital bed.
Let us Pray the Pimp's Prayer. Lord, please pray for the soul of this bitch and guide my pimp hand and make it strong Lord, so that she might learn a hoe's place.

Amen
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 4 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-19-08 03:04:55 PM)

I thought it was really good. It was pretty long and the  part with two-face seemed unnecessary, like, they could have left that whole part out of the movie . But I really enjoyed it.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 5 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 12:06:30 AM)

I thought it was excellent. The only part that I thought was a bit of a misstep was  the two face part. He was just a little bit too over the top as far as how they made him look, and his character wasn't quite developed enough for that transformation to completely work.  Those are minor quibbles though; overall, it was fantastic.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 6 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 02:49:46 PM)

I loved this movie. Maybe not as much as everyone seems to be saying, but its definitely a new favorite.  I agree about the two-face part being slightly underdeveloped, his quick transfer to villian was I think a little bit of a stretch to me, but not enough that i'm bothered by it. I just wasn't totally convinced by the Joker's hospital speech being enough to transform him. 

You know its a good movie when multiple times throughout the movie you think, "shit, I hope its not over yet." The Joker was insane and downright sinister. I was disgusted by him (in a good way) multiple times. Loved it.  The whole boat thing was fuckin awesome too 

I'm becoming a big Christian Bale fan.

Also, I loved the Wayne/Batman/Harvey Dent dynamic that was happening.  The whole white night/dark night thing was super cool .
This reply was last edited on 07-20-08 03:06:34 PM by D.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 7 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 02:58:10 PM)

I've never been a huge fan superhero/comic book movies to begin with so I wasn't really too excited to go see the movie. I saw batman begins and thought it was good but nothing too special. But A lot of people I knew saw it and said it was even better than their already high expectations, so I went in expecting a pretty good movie. And it surpassed my expectations, it was awesome.

I liked how they added the two face part but I thought they would use it to set up the next movie. I didn't like the way they made him look at all. He looked more like a terminator than two face. And I thought the actor did a good job as the regular guy, but once as two face I wasn't convinced. They definitely could have developed the two face idea more to make it more believable. But I didn't really mind that much, it was just something that made the movie last longer which was ok by me. 
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 8 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 04:20:26 PM)

Agreed. What a fantastic fucking movie in every single way.

My only problem with the whole Two-Face thing is that they killed him off in the end. I think it would've been better to just set him up to be in the next movie. And where did he get time to make himself a Two-Face suit in all this? 

I guess it goes without saying that Ledger's performance was phenomenal, Nicholson's Joker ain't got nothin on him.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 9 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-20-08 07:07:28 PM)

Quoted from Tristan:

And where did he get time to make himself a Two-Face suit in all this? 

What do you mean? He just wore the clothes he was wearing when he got injured.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 10 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 12:57:17 PM)

ooh, that makes more sense. I thought he had like a suit from batman forever or something.

EDIT: Although now that I think about it, how did he get 4th degree burns on the left side of his body, but his suit only get slight discoloration.
This reply was last edited on 07-21-08 05:03:39 PM by ba.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 11 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 05:20:41 PM)

It definitely wasn't a slight discoloration. His suit was fairly charred on the left side. I imagine that Armani suits don't melt as easily as flesh does, which could explain why his face was more fucked up than his suit. Also, gasoline or diesel or whatever on skin can fuck your skin up pretty badly even if it's not lit on fire.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 12 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-21-08 07:56:50 PM)

Just coming from the movie theater. That movie was fucking awesome.

I'm glad they didn't kill the joker off at the end, but who the hell could ever take over for Heath Ledger? I'm sure they had plans to bring him back in the next movie but I can't imagine anyone filling his shoes.

Aaron Eckhart did an amazing job as Harvey Dent/Twoface. His transformation from good guy to villain wasn't a stretch in my opinion. The love of his life just got blown up and his face is horribly disfigured. That's enough to drive anyone insane without the added mental workover by the joker. The human psyche is incredibly fragile and a person is more likely to go nuts in the short term than if they had time to think about the trauma and work through it.

But I'm disappointe they had to kill him off. Twoface was always one of my favorite villains. It made sense for the storyline but I wish he could've lived. Plus the makeup looked great. Pretty realistic but a little over-the-top but, hey, it's a Batman movie. 

"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." -- Judges 1:19
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 13 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-22-08 03:34:58 PM)

I wish they gave him a bigger more Two Face style revolver too. But whatever, not important.  I'm sad they killed him off too, I don't understand why seeing as how Two Face is one of the bigger Batman villains. 

Nolan said that Two Face's make up was 'over the top' on purpose because more realistic looking scarring actually looked more gruesome (and its pg13).
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 14 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-22-08 04:40:14 PM)

Quoted from Tristan:
Nolan said that Two Face's make up was 'over the top' on purpose because more realistic looking scarring actually looked more gruesome (and its pg13).

I think it would have been more effective if they had made it more realistic and gruesome, but I imagine that they had a contract that required a PG-13 rating. Oh well.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 15 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-22-08 06:51:50 PM)

^ Pretty sure that's accurate. Not to mention, there's no blood in the entire film, despite a lot of killing and violence.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 16 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-23-08 10:06:55 PM)

Yeah, Nolan and team did a wonderful job of keeping the rating while still making the movie gruesome in more implied ways.
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Reply 17 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-26-08 04:12:01 PM)

What a great movie! I enjoyed myself immensely. Not the absolute best movie of all time, but it's far and away the best Batman or Superhero movie out at this point.

The Joker was extremely well written, which is not to discredit Ledger, but I think a few actors might have been able to pull something creepy like that off (again, he was the best part of the film for sure - all the Joker scenes had me up and on the edge of my seat). Just saying, the hype is deserved to a point, but it's not the most amazing acting you'll ever see. The pacing is great, lightning fast to the point that I hoped for a bit more length and detail in some of them.

Additionally, the musical aspect of the film was spot on. The music definitely added a lot of intensity to the scenes. Things like the silencing of all sounds but music and its gritty or heroic underscoring of events portrayed was well chosen and effective.

The story's numerous twists and tricks are a load of fun, and a lot of the movie really drew me in to the alternate reality of the Gotham City world. Granted, the Joker's schemes started to have a predictability in them as the movie went on...

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and recommend it to all who have not seen it yet. My friend and I went home with big smiles and wanting more. Also, we visited the local library for every Batman comic book, regardless of whether we'd read it or not.

I wasn't quite sure why he was telling Harvey Dent that he wasn't a schemer and disliked them when he had made all these plans with detailed instructions and such beforehand and afterwards. On the other hand, I loved how his plans involved turning everyone into scum. Again, a credit to the writers and to Ledger's believability in playing the role of a chaos monger. 

Also, Two-Face fell from the same height Batman did, so it's entirely possible he survived. 
how is this for a quote
This reply was last edited on 07-27-08 08:57:49 PM by Hasty Penguin.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 18 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-26-08 04:35:25 PM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
 I wasn't quite sure why he was telling Harvey Dent that he wasn't a schemer and disliked them when he had made all these plans with detailed instructions and such beforehand and afterwards. 
HOT Spoiler-on-spoiler action!

Pretty sure that was to emphasize how hypocritical The Joker was, decrying planning and scheming, when everything he does is entirely planned and schemed well in advance and with great detail. He relies on the predictability of the people he is exploiting to carry out his plans, because he believes they are essentially sheep that he can manipulate into action by subtle (and not-so-subtle) misdirection and circumstance. However, when it comes down to the ships blowing each other up, he is shown for what he truly is, misguided and a hypocrite, smart and wily, but still a hypocrite. 
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 19 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-27-08 02:17:51 PM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:

Also, Two-Face fell from the same height Batman did, so it's entirely possible he survived. 

Isn't b-man's new suit fall resistant or something? 
~British Agent
.___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Hasty Penguin
get in the box

Reply 20 of 41 (Originally posted on: 07-28-08 07:21:41 AM)

Quoted from Tristan:
 Isn't b-man's new suit fall resistant or something? 

Yeah, but Batman also doesn't kill. 
how is this for a quote
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 21 of 41 (Originally posted on: 08-04-08 03:16:19 PM)

Didn't they bury Harvey Dent at the end? Am I just making that up? I know they didn't have a big funeral scene, but I thought I might've remembered something brief. Maybe not, now that I think about it. 
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 22 of 41 (Originally posted on: 08-04-08 04:45:59 PM)

Spoilers are getting ridiculous in this thread. Changed thread title to make it clear there are spoilers in here.

Quoted from wheezy:
Didn't they bury Harvey Dent at the end? Am I just making that up? I know they didn't have a big funeral scene, but I thought I might've remembered something brief. Maybe not, now that I think about it.
They had a memorial service, but it would've been easy to have some kind of closed casket funeral service.

There are parallels between Gordon's death earlier in the film and Dent's death at the end, which lead me to believe that Dent will be back in the next installment of the series, if there is one. Two-Face is simply too integral of a character in the Batman universe to just introduce him, have him fall from grace in the third act of the film, then kill him off. It seems very amateurish and not consistent with the rest of the film.

Anyway, they intentionally obscured the nature of Gordon's death midway through the film, which was then revealed to be a cover-up. They show Gordon lying on the ground, shot, then they play sleight of hand on the audience and have the cops go to his wife's house to inform her of his death. Similarly, Batman and Dent fall from a height that wouldn't kill a man, as is evident when Batman drops Maroni off of a similar height earlier on to which Maroni even comments, "this height isn't enough to kill someone," or something like that. It seems a bit too hackneyed to just have Dent be dead after falling a similar height, while Maroni escapes a similar fall with a brace on his leg and a cane. More than likely, they covered up his death, pinned it on Batman, then I dunno, checked him into Arkham Asylum where his pleas of "I'M HARVEY DENT" would just be shaken off with a , "yeah, okay, crazy man, here's your medication."
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 23 of 41 (Originally posted on: 08-04-08 06:18:12 PM)

I'm very torn on your post, Sandamnit.

Quote:
They had a memorial service, but it would've been easy to have some kind of closed casket funeral service.

Yeah it would be easy, but would seem kind of pointless and a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
There are parallels between Gordon's death earlier in the film and Dent's death at the end, which lead me to believe that Dent will be back in the next installment of the series.....Anyway, they intentionally obscured the nature of Gordon's death midway through the film, which was then revealed to be a cover-up. They show Gordon lying on the ground, shot, then they play sleight of hand on the audience and have the cops go to his wife's house to inform her of his death.

Note that I did re-order your post a bit to address the Gordon issue...

To me, that's more of "Well they already did it with Gordon, it'd be cheesy to do the same thing again. It was a good sleight of hand as you said to do it once, but repeating the same trick is kind of lame.

Quote:
Two-Face is simply too integral of a character in the Batman universe to just introduce him, have him fall from grace in the third act of the film, then kill him off. It seems very amateurish and not consistent with the rest of the film.

I do agree about him being very integral, but it's kind of a tough argument to make that "The rest of the film was good, so of course this part must have a better explanation

Quote:
Similarly, Batman and Dent fall from a height that wouldn't kill a man, as is evident when Batman drops Maroni off of a similar height earlier on to which Maroni even comments, "this height isn't enough to kill someone," or something like that. It seems a bit too hackneyed to just have Dent be dead after falling a similar height, while Maroni escapes a similar fall with a brace on his leg and a cane.

That is a VERY convincing point though. That argument really is making me wonder if he will indeed come back. I will discuss with my friend who loves movies as well as comics and come back if he has any new and interesting input.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 24 of 41 (Originally posted on: 08-06-08 06:29:48 AM)

I'm not convinced the two falls were from the same height.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1884 | Total Posts: 41 ]