Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > The Hall of Fame > The drug war. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 8392 | Total Posts: 57 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Ballkicks: (+145 / -473)
Reg. Date: May 2003
(Originally posted on: 04-16-02 04:22:35 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
In 2000, there were 1,579,566 drug arrests in the US. Of those, 46.5 percent -- 734,497 arrests -- were for marijuana.

Marijuana is the least harmful of all the illegal drugs it's not physically addictive or anything itís a damn shame they don't legalize it.

The drug war had failed and it is easier to get drugs then ever.

Quote:
In 1999 the United States spent a record $147 billion for police protection, corrections, and judicial and legal activities. The Nationís expenditure for operations and outlay of the justice system increased 309% from almost $36 billion in 1982. Discounting inflation, that represents a 145% increase in constant dollars.

Now a good percent of that money could be going to something worthier if it wasn't for congress and their "Drug war"

Tobacco and Alcohol are just as bad as marijuana and if it wasn't for the amount of tax revenue they generate they would be illegal too.

Well whatever discuss.

SALLY OWNED FA!!!!!! -Wheezy
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 04:58:02 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think it should be legalized, but illegal to use it in public areas, unless designated for smoking. And it should be taxed.

are you confused yet?
Azzie

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+3 / -2)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 05:38:05 PM)

We'd make so much more money. Instead of SPENDING money on preventing it into the country, we could legalize it and tax it, making money.

It's stupid that smoking is allowed but weed isn't.
The disease of self, runs through my blood, it's a cancer fatal to my soul.
Every attempt on my behalf has failed, to bring this sickness under control.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reply 3 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 06:20:37 PM)

I agree, drugs (marijuana, anyway) should be legalized and taxed. And about it being illegal in public, they should just allow it in the same places as cigarettes.
This reply was last edited on 04-16-02 07:40:08 PM by Marcher.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reply 4 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 07:29:23 PM)

Marijuana being illegal is one of the most pointless laws.

If you legalize it, and sell it under government regulation, you take away the criminal aspect of buying marijuana - which in turn would make certain aspects of life somewhat safer.
Zealotry from Rome to Mecca, millions more become infected - God cannot be mass projected, or beaten out through forced confession. It's for all of us to ponder, not for dogma's chain to hold us down. Wake up and put the past where it belongs - Dying Fetus
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 5 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:34:22 PM)

I believe marijuana should be legalized. And like many of the other people who discussed this issue, I find the law on illegalization of marijuana pointless and it should be used for the government benefit.

It could very well do many things other then releasing countless people from jail, so that more, worse criminals could be placed in jails.

However, picture this. Picture a small town or a medium sized town during this economic recession recently. The town is probably dwindling and with few people, for there are probably few jobs. Imagine now, if you legalized Marijuana, and businesses were created to create marijuana. Those businesses could go to these small towns, employ people who are unemployed, and revitalize the town. And then think of the big cities, where Marijuana is the most popular. Put some places where you can buy Marijuana (like liquor stores)...and you instantly get a lot of money for the government through taxes, and it take some forms of crime off the street.

And although immoral for many people, it would benefit people in the long run. However, legalizing Marijuana has it's own problems. Which would be too much to legalize.

And I may sound cruel, and immoral. But, I know how it feels to live in an economy where it's dwindled so much many thousands of people are off the job, and many jails are filled to the brink with Marijuana users...that other Criminals have to be moved all over the country to minimum security prisons when they deserve maximum security prisons.

And then again, it could lead to another Alchohal or Tobacco abuse where it causes other forms of violence and kills off many people. However, I guess it's the choice of the people if they wish to destroy themselves in such ways. Okay, I'm getting carried away.

_Sunny.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Reply 6 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:41:07 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
And then again, it could lead to another Alchohal or Tobacco abuse where it causes other forms of violence and kills off many people.

It's hard to imagine someone stoned off their ass being able to pick up a gun without laughing, or knocking over a bag of Doritos, let alone firing it straight.

Whenever I've been high or around people that were, we've always been in great spirits. I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but weed usually makes people more tranquil, as opposed to alcohol and its ability to pump up some mighty beer muscles.
Zealotry from Rome to Mecca, millions more become infected - God cannot be mass projected, or beaten out through forced confession. It's for all of us to ponder, not for dogma's chain to hold us down. Wake up and put the past where it belongs - Dying Fetus
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Reply 7 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:45:36 PM)

I agree with psychorabbit I've never seen anyone get high and go around looking for a fight.

Marijuana makes people relaxed and peaceful, not violent.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 8 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:49:18 PM)

Back when marijuana first became illegal in the post-Prohibition era, it was thought that it led to violent behavior. That came mostly from the fact that Mexicans, at the time, were thought to be both violent and had heavy marijuana smoking habits, thus the two became correlated.

Personally, I think legalization is a good idea, not only for economic reasons, but also because it is less addictive than cigarettes.
"Some people turn to drugs such as heroin or cocaine for their brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects. Others turn to religion for its brain-wasting, body-killing, soul-destroying effects."
- Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka, Something Awful
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Reply 9 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:50:44 PM)

Here's an interesting article I found

Quote:
I come to San Francisco this week because I'm mad as hell about the War on Drugs.

I am tired of seeing failure follow failure in the unending fight against methamphetamine and cocaine. I'm tired of seeing police buying and selling marijuana and seizing property and cash, and leaving families ruined.

I am tired of hearing about Asa Hutchinson's DEA raids on California's medical marijuana co-ops, raids planned and conducted at great expense at a time when I wonder whether my Tennessee neighbors might be mixing crank in their kitchens and bathrooms.

I am looking forward to the time when drug war bureaucrats and agents become the enemy in the new drug war. I believe every town in America might one day seek out such people, burn them out of their homes and confiscate whatever is not burned for sale to the highest bidder.

It will be good to watch those fires burn, to bid on those seized items. It will be high time the present enemy -- free people -- fought back against a corrupt and broken system. If our legislators won't stop the drug war, then we must do so ourselves "by any means necessary."

That means getting drug policy out of the hands of law enforcement and into the hands of physicians and educated citizens.

I'd rather see open revolution in America's streets than organized raids and stings by drug police who are wasting our time and our money and making a mockery of our inalienable rights.

I'd rather see America fail then become a police state. But when the DEA has more authority in California than the voters, perhaps that police state is already here. If so, I will dismantle it or die trying.

It's been five months and six days since I lost a dear friend to an overdose of meth and cocaine. She ingested fatal amounts of both drugs one night in northern Idaho while I was covering for the local newspaper the trials of three men accused of buying marijuana from the DEA.

While she died alone in her apartment, the drug warriors were making sure those young men went to prison for buying marijuana the DEA agents themselves had brought to northern Idaho from Oregon.

Sitting in the trial after hearing news of my friend's death, I watched as a DEA agent produced the 10 pounds of pot for the jury to see.

I couldn't help wondering at the irony: The drug was painted by the state's attorney as the scourge of America, yet something else was really claiming lives on the streets.

I wanted to run to the front of the courtroom and grab the marijuana and smoke it all in a sitting to prove to those misguided people that marijuana is not the problem in Idaho or anywhere else, that they're wasting their time and mine dealing it.

I wanted to scream at the DEA agent who was a star witness: Where were you when my friend was buying her meth and cocaine? Were you somewhere selling marijuana to college kids? Are you a coward, or just ignorant?

Instead, I asked him how he could live with himself. He looked surprised, then like all good bureaucrats declined comment.

The DEA got the convictions it was seeking. Plans are probably in the works to bring more marijuana from Oregon or British Columbia to Idaho to sell to the locals.

I won't have to write about these future pot deals as an unbiased reporter because I stopped being a reporter in the wake of my friend's death and the DEA's marijuana trial. Those events transformed me from an observer into an activist.

And so I come to San Francisco this week for the annual conference of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. Since my friend died five months ago I have learned that there are many people as angry as I am about the War on Drugs, and I have joined them.

I hope it's not too late to save our country from this damaging war that has gotten us nowhere.
Brent's opinion is supported by the 1972 National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Use. In its report, that commission, appointed by President Richard M. Nixon, contained this conclusion:

"Marihuana's relative potential for harm to the vast majority of individual users and its actual impact on society does not justify a social policy designed to seek out and firmly punish those who use it. This judgment is based on prevalent, use patterns, on behavior exhibited by the vast majority of users and on our interpretations of existing medical and scientific data. This position also is consistent with the estimate by law enforcement personnel that the elimination of use is unattainable."

Unfortunately for all of us, the commission's findings were not what Nixon or other repressive people wanted to hear, so the report was never acted upon. We still treat marijuana as if it were some kind of deadly poison.

Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 10 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 08:57:43 PM)

Quote:
It's hard to imagine someone stoned off their ass being able to pick up a gun without laughing, or knocking over a bag of Doritos, let alone firing it straight.

Psychorabbit, I agree with most of your points, and it was after I posted my post that I realized I made a mistake in that aspect. For I myself have been high and have realized what it turns you into.

However, I know it can change many aspects of your mind, so that you don't know what your doing. And for some people, there are different reactions to Marijuana use. For some, holding a gun, could be easy for them, however, for other people, you probably couldn't stop laughing if you picked up a gun. Now say, out of carelessness, you accidently pull the trigger from a gun (You found in the house) during a large party. And it just so happens to kill someone who wasn't on marijuana. How should this case be judged. Should it be the gun owners fault for not securing the gun away? Should it be the Marijuana users fault or should it be someone elses fault.

And although the one situation above might be very rare, what about people who do drugs and drive. You yourself said that you can't hold onto something without laughing. And I am sure there is some person out there who is stupid enough to do drugs and drive. Who knows what the public outcry on this issue could be.

There's just the sense of unpredictability when it comes to how a crime could happen. What circumstances need to be placed before a Crime could happen.

However, I do believe with the legalization. But there is many cons to marijuana, which allow people to become "Morally objected" to marijuana.

_Sunny.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Reply 11 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 09:45:36 PM)

Well if marijuana is outlawed because of the potential stupidity of a few, than we should have never given up on prohibition.
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Reply 12 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 09:51:26 PM)

Well there's always going to be some asshole who abuses something and ruins it for the people who do/use it responsibly, it's just that congress looks at the people who do it wrong opposed to the people who do it right.

Same goes for violent videogames.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 13 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 09:55:43 PM)

Quote:
Well if marijuana is outlawed because of the potential stupidity of a few, than we should have never given up on prohibition.

But it has in the past been proven that the stupidity of few can drastically ulter rules and permissions of certain laws. It's happened here in Canada with Alchohal before. Because people believed that alchohal was the main cause of crime because some people used it before undertaking a crime, the government outlawed it. Although it took the First world war to make people realize that alchohal at that time was pointless. Yet, the government needed the money after the war, and it was soon re-institutionalized, however with the government running how alchohal shall be distributed.

However, you also have to realize a majority of people in the world are considered of lacking the sensibility to undertake judgement on many different kinds of issues, and would therefore the stupidity of a few could be taken by a majority of people as "What all people act as." Therefore, all people of a certain basis could be based on the stereotype that they drive and do drugs so to speak. Afterall, it was done with drinking and driving. I'm sure many people haven't done it, but that didn't mean that the government didn't alter the laws in many ways.

Regretfully, in many countries, the rulers lack the ability to outweigh the pros and cons of the idea of legalization and of the possibility of consequences of marijuana use on society.

_Sunny
Random Google Search:
"Come enjoy a Vacation on Sunshine."

Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 14 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-16-02 10:35:13 PM)

One time I got mad at someone, but it was more like I was sad because they weren't doing what I wanted them to.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 15 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 06:46:37 AM)

anything that isnt harmful to anyone else than the person who does it should be legal, the government has no business trying to protect people from themselves...

a person has the right to chose to take certain risks cause he thinks that the advantages outweigh them, and he has the right to live his life any way he wants to...
the government cant say that he's wrong

its fascism
i'm so tired, i cant sleep
i am a liar and a thief
i sit and drink pennyroyal tea
i'm anaemic royalty
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 16 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 03:25:04 PM)

so suicide should be legal.

EDIT: sorry didnt mean to take it off topic. I agree with the last post, if it doesnt harm others, it should be legal. that is why i stated earlier that it should only be allowed in designated smoking areas.

are you confused yet?
This reply was last edited on 04-17-02 03:34:36 PM by emtilt.
Salamando
The Reel RS Krew
RULE BREAKER!

LOL karma palindrome

Reply 17 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 03:26:46 PM)

If the person want's to end his life because of excessive pain and suffering then yes, it should be legal.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 18 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 06:52:23 PM)

Quote:
so suicide should be legal.

It is niether legal nor illegal. Although assisted suicide has yet to become legal in many places. Personally, I believe that in some forms assisted suicide should be legal. As long as it has the consent of the person going to be killed, and although not required, it would be better off if the person was ill and already close to death. In such a way that they don't die a painful and long death.

However, like Salamando said, it is up to the person if they wish to end their life. Not the government. However, when it comes to more then one's self, then the government, or atleast that other person involved has some say.

Quote:
EDIT: sorry didnt mean to take it off topic. I agree with the last post, if it doesnt harm others, it should be legal. that is why i stated earlier that it should only be allowed in designated smoking areas.

I agree as well with designated smoking areas. However, you have to question who will overlook these designated smoking areas. There would not be enough cops to look at every designated smoking area, nor would there be any way of making sure people who are under the effect won't escape into the community without the detection of the people who are watching them. You also have to question, how many people would use these designated smoking areas and how many people would end up in jail for not smoking in the smoking areas. Therefore, I am sure once again the jails will be filled with drug users...and not with the murderers and the pedophiles who deserve to be in them.

Which brings me to the idea of even if Marijuana won't be legalized, what about changing the consequences of Drug use. Should Drug users be in Maximum Security Prisons at all, or any jail in that matter if they are only just filling up space where worse criminals should belong?

_Sunny.

Random Google Search:

This reply was last edited on 04-17-02 06:58:16 PM by Sunn O))).
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 19 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 06:54:47 PM)

Quote:
It is legal.

No, it isn't, at least not where i live in Florida (unless they changed it recently and i missed it).

are you confused yet?
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 20 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 06:55:54 PM)

Sorry Emtilt, I fixed my mistake. Sorry, I make mistakes at times, and I should proof read before I post.i'm a serial-killer :)
Random Google Search:

Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 21 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 07:02:32 PM)

Well, I hate to rain on the parade, but most marijuana that you guys are smoking (if you are -- I know for a fact, if some of you aren't lying, that you do), is genetically altered. So, its legalization wouldn't exactly be good... it would be like cigarettes, but worse.

However, natural marijuana isn't exactly the worse thing in the world. If that's what would be legalized, sure, go for it, by all means, but I'd hate to see people who grow it start throwing shit into it that would hurt people.
"That's all war is -the desire to project the penis into other people's affairs. You don't have to be an analyst to see the foreign recognition policy at work. It goes something like this- WHAT!? THEY HAVE BIGGER DICKS!? BOMB THEM!" George Carlin
Spurlin

Ballkicks: (+18 / -3)
Reply 22 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 09:00:54 PM)

Marijuana, as well as other non-addicting drugs, should be legalized.

Firstly, if legalized, the drugs could be regulated. We often hear of marijuana being a "gateway drug" that leads to heavy using. This classification is, at least in part, a direct result of marijuana being mixed or laced with other drugs to increase dealer profits or create new customers. If legal, the government could regulate these drugs and lessen the possibility of addiction.

In addition, the legalization of non-addicting drugs would lessen the ridiculous amount of people currently serving time in our prison system. The number of people incarcerated each year is accelerating at an enormous rate. The government is forced to dump more and more money into these unjust systems at the expense of the taxpayer.

Legalizing drugs would also reduce the amount of crime in our country. As the supply goes up, the price goes down. Users would no longer have to steal in order to support their habits. Dealers and gangs would have no reason to fight over the rights to each corner, thus reducing the violence associated with gang members and drug dealers.

Lastly, it would say a great deal about our country. It would show a little initiative, and prove that our governmental structure can actually accomplish something of significance. It would be a large step toward individual freedom; an illusion which many Americans still believe to be reality.

-Erik
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 23 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 09:23:57 PM)

First of all, I'd like to say welcome to Spurlin.

Now, I agree with many points you made. They were very well thought out.

Quote:
This classification is, at least in part, a direct result of marijuana being mixed or laced with other drugs to increase dealer profits or create new customers. If legal, the government could regulate these drugs and lessen the possibility of addiction.

I agree with many of your points in this paragraph, although the question of what if someone bought the regulated drug, laced it with an illegal, yet, very powerful substance and gave it to someone. How would the government create awareness to people if such a thing would to occur or how would it stop people from lacing the drugs and selling it underground to people who really want it. Or is this based on the intellectual freedom of the person who bought it. However, even if this doesen't really matter, in what ways could the government regulate marijuana in a way where people wouldn't just end up selling it for their own profit and lacing it with more drugs.

On a side note, should Marijuana be legal for people under a certain age. I have yet to find evidencial proof that
marijuana stunts a kid's growth, however, should we even think about allowing kids, some who don't know right or wrong, at jeaporadizing their lives over possible side effects of Marijuana, laced or not?

_Sunny
Random Google Search:

emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 24 of 57 (Originally posted on: 04-17-02 09:31:31 PM)

No. There should be an age requirement (i would think 21 is good) that is enforced, IMO. That isn't a decision children should be given, because that would grow into the area of greatest abuse of the legalization.

I agree with Sunshine's point about the lacing of marijuana with other drugs. I don't think the government will be able to monitor that all too well, because it would be easy enough for someone to lace it so as to increase their potential sales. The drugs could change hands numerous times before reaching the user, and each person along the way would have a chance to lace, presumably for profit. This would be the most dangerous aspect of the legalization of marijuana. I don't really know how it could be combatted.

are you confused yet?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 8392 | Total Posts: 57 ]