Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > A kid from my school died last night. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 1097 | Total Posts: 22 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 11-01-02 06:08:27 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Well, a Junior I didn't know died last night. Rumors went around, but a girl that knew him very well told me with almost full confidence that he hung himself in his basement last night, and may have been on Drugs.

I came into school late today, missed all of first period and went straight to advisory (homeroom). Then I went to second period, which is my time in the weight room. As I was lifting, I hear an announcement, "All students, sorry to disrupt class, but will everyone please return to your homeroom for a very important announcement I need to make.
Me and 2 friends had to go back and get changed into our clothes (and out of our gym clothes). At this time we had no idea what this was about... The announcement was very similar to the one the principle gave us last year on september 11th. Many of us thought it was another terrorist attack, I thought it was a bomb threat. While me and my friends were walking in the hallway (we were late, as we had to get changed), the principal announces "sorry to disrupt everyone, but I deeply regret to inform you that one of our fellow students, Frank ______, passed away last night."
My one friend was in pure shock, had no idea what to say but "How did it happen??"
He left for his advisory and me and the other friend had advisory together and went together, we were late and the room was dead silent, everyone looking at us. We are sophmores, so none of us really knew him, so no one really was very torn by it. But we all understood how serious this was. my advisor talked to us for a while. when the bell rung for us to go the 3rd period, the hall was literally dead quiet (no pun intended). It was really ackward.
When I walked into 3rd, my friend was there who i was walking with earlier, and he just kinda looked away.
The room was completely silent. I sat down, and watched as the rest of the students came into the room. I couldn't take the silence so I got out my calculator and played Calculator snood. About 5 or 10 minutes after class should have started, my chemistry teacher started talking. I couldn't hear what he was saying at first, it was very soft.
We had a quiz schedueld today... We have our last test schedueled monday. Monday is the last day for him to get grades in. He couldn't push back the quiz. He came up with a really fair solution. He said if you feel not your best because of what happened, you could just leave the quiz on your desk and not hand it in. he wont count it. If you feel you can do it, then hand it in. He still felt really really bad about giving it to us, though.
I handed mine in, i thought I did fairly well.
but heres my question.
Lets say you didn't know him at all. you got the quiz, and you had no idea what to do. You bomb the quiz. Do you turn it in? Or do you hold onto it, knowing that you are taking advantage of the death of a student that many of the people you love, loved him. Two people I know did this. I wouldn't have been able to.

Anyway, at lunch, it was still pretty quiet with just a continuous buzz in the background. A fight broke out because apparently some one was laughing (dont know if it was about the death or not), and the kids girlfriend flipped on the laughing girl.
We talked about some things at lunch. Some girl went up to a friend of mine that knew him and said, "Do you hear what happend? I heard he hung himself," practically laughing. Bitch.
At lunch we all realized how much of a difference there is between today and 9/11.
on 9/11, everyone was talking. No silence. Many of us even cracked jokes about it, unlike today.
How many died on 9/11? about 4,000?
1 person died last night, and there was so much more grief going around. I had more grief today than 9/11, as did probably everyone else. When the death is closer to home, its so much different. We didn't know the people in the planes or in the buildings, but we knew Frank and people who knew Frank, all very close to us. Who'd have known it.
4th period, it's my conversational spanish class. 7 kids total. 2 were crying, one was sleeping, the rest of us afraid to say something that could hurt the others. We didn't do much, we reviewed an upcomming project, talked a bit about the situation, and were then let out a half hour early.
While waiting for the weight room to open after school, me and two other friends just talked about everything. None of us knew him very well, but we had a good conversation. The weight room never opened, and we all went home.

sorry for the long topic.

"MY BUM IS ON THE MAN!" - Flaming Arrow
"I just think circumsized dicks look a whole lot better" - Flaming Arrow

D
Administrator

Reply 1 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 06:21:59 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Something i forgot to mention, a group of about 90 japanese exchange students picked today to visit our school. Sucks for them.

Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 06:30:17 PM)

Sorry to hear that. *sad*

Last year a girl at my school commited suicide (took a taxi to the Golden Gate Bridge and jumped off), but the atmosphere was different than at your school. It was mostly like a normal day, actually. I don't even remember if there was an announcement. The only reason I knew was because one of my teacher took it really hard...

About the test, I don't know. I don't think I would just not hand it in if I didn't even know the guy...
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 3 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 06:41:50 PM)

I have never had to deal with that. Students from the nearby schools have died, and a few from my highschool died when I was in Public School, but I never even remotely knew them. The only one that really hit me at all was the one who died of Flesh Eating disease, because it scared everyone. The closest thing like that to ever hit me was my old best friends Step-father dying. He had an aneurism while they were all watching TV together, and died while my friend watched. It hit me because my friend had just started calling him "dad", and he had repaired my broken bike the week before.

I really do hope I never have to deal with that sort of thing.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Outspoken, Opinionated, Empassioned and Shameless.
"It's kinda ironic because I'm not a virgin.."-Globethrasher...yes, Globethrasher.
D
Administrator

Reply 4 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 06:52:28 PM)

me neither storm. seeing some kids crying in the hall ways was terrible... the looks on some peoples faces was just devistating to see.

This kid had a freshman brother, too...
I feel really bad for him.

asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 07:12:43 PM)

My school has been lucky; the last person that died was 10 years ago, the kid had been out drinking and ran into a stone wall driving home. Hits rather close to home.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reply 6 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 08:03:25 PM)

When I was in grade one, a friend of mine got shot by his older brother while they were horsing around with an apparently loaded gun. I'm still friends with his older brother today, but I remember back then, we had no clue how to deal with it. When you're a kid, it's hard to wrap your brain around the idea of someone NEVER coming back.

It was so long ago, but I remember how we were at school, our poor teacher trying to explain it to us and answer our questions. It must've been so tough for her, trying to explain it. Anyway, a lot of the kids went to the funeral which was in the afternoon, I'm not sure what the few who stayed in class did, probably nothing. But it was silent and solumn, we had a minute of silence about it, and we were all told to pray for him (catholic school) it felt so wierd. I realize now that the biggest victim, other then the kid himself, was his older brother. Charles/Chuck, he's the guy that has to live with the fact that he shot his brother... How can you live with that? I don't know.

More recently, my good friends older brother commited suicide, he was in university, and it "hit home" especially to me because I was so close with the family, I was over there for supper a few times a week when we lived a few houses down from one another, and I guess it doesn't get much easier with age when you try to understand something so blatantly definite.

In response to your question, if I didn't know the person, I think I'd do my best on the test, even if it was a failing mark and just hand it in anyway.

Oh, and a few years ago this kid died in a drunk driving accident. I'd forgotten because he went to the public school and I went to Catholic school at the time. They made a skateboarding park after him because he really liked skateboarding, I guess. They had a "fund" named after him.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 7 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-01-02 10:22:59 PM)

In 8th grade, a kid who was in my first period class died. He was hit by a car while crossing the street trying to get to the city bus.Last year (11th) grade, a girl in my first period died. She was riding some kind of scooter, I'm not sure, but it flipped and she died. When the first kid died, a lot of people were sad, mostly the teachers. My English teacher was taken to the hospital, but Im not sure what for, the the school day was mostly lax. Last year, when the girl died, it wasn't a big deal. One girl who I knew, was friends with her, and she was crying, but the day was just like any other day. By the end of the day, I had almost forgotten about it. Also in 9th grade, two kids were drag racing. The one car, I think ran a red light, hit another car, killing himself, injuring his girlfriend, and in the other car, an elderly woman died, as well as injuring other pasengers in the car. People were pretty sad, but I didn't care because it was his fault, and he ended up killing someone else.
Excuse me while I puke and die.

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.
This reply was last edited on 11-01-02 10:29:09 PM by Mr Pixies.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 8 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 12:54:33 AM)

Quoted from Marcher:
Last year a girl at my school commited suicide (took a taxi to the Golden Gate Bridge and jumped off), but the atmosphere was different than at your school. It was mostly like a normal day, actually. I don't even remember if there was an announcement. The only reason I knew was because one of my teacher took it really hard...

That was my friend Rachel's cousin. It was sad.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 9 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:06:50 AM)

I love how everyone avoided Dimitri's question...

Quote:
Lets say you didn't know him at all. you got the quiz, and you had no idea what to do. You bomb the quiz. Do you turn it in? Or do you hold onto it, knowing that you are taking advantage of the death of a student that many of the people you love, loved him. Two people I know did this. I wouldn't have been able to.

Well, it all depends. If it was someone I or my friends knew, I probably wouldn't take advantage of his/her death. However, if it was someone I'd never met, didn't know, or didn't care for, I probably would.

Quote:
At lunch we all realized how much of a difference there is between today and 9/11.
on 9/11, everyone was talking. No silence. Many of us even cracked jokes about it, unlike today.
How many died on 9/11? about 4,000?

Well, it's quite different. This was close to home. It directly affected more people. To most of the kids in your school, 9/11 was probably just some terrible thing that happened on the TV. This kid dying was right there, in their school, in their town. And more like 3,000 people died.
I want to tell you a little about myself, so you'll know where I'm coming from. First off, I am 35 years old.. I am thrice divorced.. and I live in a van down by the river!
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reply 10 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:08:58 AM)

Quote:

I did?
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Reply 11 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:10:12 AM)

Quoted from Flaming Arrow:

Quoted from danielle:
In response to your question, if I didn't know the person, I think I'd do my best on the test, even if it was a failing mark and just hand it in anyway.

EDIT: I wanted to add an interesting fact. When I was in grade six, I moved to a new town, and shortly after I got there, there was a big ceremony in the morning assembly and throughout the day in honor of this little girl named Rose who would've been in my grade, but she'd died the past year. They had a picture of her and flowers everywhere... They had people come up and give a talk on her and that sort of thing.

The whole point of that was that I wrote a poem about this little girl whom I didn't know, and it got published.

This reply was last edited on 11-02-02 01:25:53 AM by peach.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 12 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:16:55 AM)

Oh, sorry, didn't notice that you two had answered his question. I just saw most people telling similar stories.
I want to tell you a little about myself, so you'll know where I'm coming from. First off, I am 35 years old.. I am thrice divorced.. and I live in a van down by the river!
Guru

Ballkicks: (+66 / -21)
Reply 13 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:20:31 AM)

Quote:

Take the quiz, hand it in, and fail, of course. I'd take any F any day over how I would feel knowing that I'd exploited someone's death like that.

A few weeks ago a freshman girl in my school died of a brain anuerism. While I was sad and felt for her family and friends it didn't really effect me very much and school wasn't really any different the next day. The only think that really got to me after it was the way in which she died, because of an slight irrational fear of anuerisms I have. The way they occur without warning and kill you before you can do anything to stop it has always scared me a bit.
"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow." Ecc 1:17-18
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 14 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:31:15 AM)

I'd fail the quiz. I have a guilty conscience about that kind of stuff.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reply 15 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 05:29:09 AM)

It depends. If I didn't know the person, I would not hand in a bad test. If I did, I would like to think that they want the best for everyone so I would still not hand in a bad test, of course, I don't do bad tests.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 16 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 10:09:59 AM)

Just a few weeks ago, a senior girl committed suicide at our school. I was in a mixed class (Health), so a lot of people were crying. A lot of the freshman were just making light of it, which I hated. Her death and seeing everyone wrecked brought up memories of my cousin David's death. I wanted to go to the library and talk to someone (they had grief councelors and that sort of thing), but I didn't want to disrupt people who needed help that knew her. It was probably the longest day of my life. I skipped practice and came home and cried to my dad for the first time in four years. I don't know why her death snapped back realities of David, but it did.

I skipped school Friday just to be with family. I know some of you will say I ran away from stuff, but I was pretty messed up. I did what I thought was best. We dedicated our JV football game to her Saturday, and wore black tape.

As for your question Dimi, if I bombed the test, I would still hand it in. I have a big pride/concious thing. For instance, if I forget a notebook for a particular class, I won't ask to go get it, because I feel as though I deserve it for not remembering.
"...Try. Try. Try some more. Look how much you're failing." -Wheezy

[[/w]I think, therefore I make bullshit philosophic generalizations.[w]]
D
Administrator

Reply 17 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 11:20:26 AM)

Quote:
Well, it's quite different. This was close to home. It directly affected more people. To most of the kids in your school, 9/11 was probably just some terrible thing that happened on the TV. This kid dying was right there, in their school, in their town. And more like 3,000 people died.

Exactally.

Quote:
I'd fail the quiz. I have a guilty conscience about that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Take the quiz, hand it in, and fail, of course. I'd take any F any day over how I would feel knowing that I'd exploited someone's death like that.

Same here.

Quote:
A lot of the freshman were just making light of it, which I hated.

same goes for our damn freshmen. short little dickheads. I hate most of our freshmen.

Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reply 18 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:33:04 PM)

Boy howdy, do I have experience with this kind of shit.

My 8th grade year(two years ago), the sister of a good friend of mine died. She was extremely well-liked throughout the school, and at least 1/2(keep in mind, my school only has 300 in High School) of the students were crying a good deal of the day. I had not known her very much at all, so I wasn't effected emotionally myself really at all. Seeing everyone feel so horrible did make me feel bad, but I myself wasn't devastated.

Later that year(at the end of the school year), one of my best friends committed suicide. No one really has any idea why he did it, he just shot himself. He was going through some stress during the time, but it didn't appear like it was anywhere near suicidal level. I was, of course, devastated, and shut down for several months. It was a horrible, horrible experience that I never wanted to experience again.

However, as many of you know, my best friend was killed in a car accident this summer(June 21st, to be exact). Even after having dealed with my previous friend's death, I didn't really know what to do. I had some idea, but Devon was so much closer to me than Richard(my previous friend). I just cried, and cried, and cried. I didn't know how to deal, so I just shut down again. Not as long as I did before, because I found Krystle for emotional support, but it was fucking horrible. Grasping the idea that he'll never come back again is/was so depressing. (Go to my thread in SD for further information on this topic)
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 19 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 01:38:13 PM)

Quote:
when the bell rung for us to go the 3rd period, the hall was literally dead quiet (no pun intended).

that made me laugh...

Quote:
Lets say you didn't know him at all. you got the quiz, and you had no idea what to do. You bomb the quiz. Do you turn it in? Or do you hold onto it, knowing that you are taking advantage of the death of a student that many of the people you love, loved him

no, i dont turn it in...
ruining my grades wont do him or the people who loved him any good
there aint no moonlight after midnight, i see you stupid people out looking for delight
i'm so happy, i'm feeling so fine...watching all the rubbish, wasting my time
i look around your house you've got nothing to steal, i kick you in the head when you get down to kneel and pray
you pray to your god
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 20 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 02:27:01 PM)

In regards to the test, I would not turn it in if I knew I did poorly on it. If i thought I did good I would turn it in. I see no point in ruining my grade when i have a way out of it.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Reply 21 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-02-02 03:02:21 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:

I skipped school Friday just to be with family. I know some of you will say I ran away from stuff, but I was pretty messed up. I did what I thought was best. We dedicated our JV football game to her Saturday, and wore black tape.

I don't really think that's you running away from "stuff" at all. I remember when I had to go to my grandmothers funeral, the same day we drove back to my town and I went to school to pick up my homework even though everyone told me not to. I ended up breaking down in front of a bunch of my friends and just crying and not being able to stop. I hate looking so fragile in front of people, so I think staying home is a way of admitting that you have something to deal with, and taking the time to deal with your problem. Instead of running away, you faced the fact that there WAS something to deal with, and you dealt with it. I respect that because I have a problem with that sort of thing.
Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 22 of 22 (Originally posted on: 11-03-02 01:01:40 PM)

Some alumni from last year that was a big jock and popular kid died in a car wreck a couple days ago on Halloween. They canceled the damn pep rally for homecoming, which was like..3 whole periods. Damn.
This post brought to you by the letters F and U

"You're not really funny" - PR
"ULTIMATE FUCK-UP OF THE WEEK!!" - FA
"it's not too late." - Mr. Pixies
"asschowder." - Mirthalac
"I really, really dislike you." - Dani
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 1097 | Total Posts: 22 ]