Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > United 93 > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2419 | Total Posts: 19 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
(Originally posted on: 03-24-06 12:05:34 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

IMDb listing and the official trailer.

So what do we make of this? I've known the movie was being made for awhile now, I saw some advance footage online a couple of months ago. I've only just seen the official trailer today, and found it upsetting. :/
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 19 (Originally posted on: 03-24-06 12:11:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Frankly, I'm entirely uninterested. There already been about 285763 documentaries, tv specials, tv movies, books, and everything else on this subject. It's grown a bit tired, along with all the other 9/11 "They're heroes!" sensationalism.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Waveslave

Surf's Up!

Ballkicks: (+50 / -4)
Reg. Date: Mar 2005
Reply 2 of 19 (Originally posted on: 03-24-06 09:17:53 PM)

Not to mention Oliver Stone's World Trade Center film coming out. I knew there was going to be a feature film about 9/11 some day, but christ, 5 years later?
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 3 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-23-06 03:01:19 PM)

From what I've learned, they'll only stop making movies about this when one of them becomes a retarded love triangle when clearly the movie is named after a tragic event.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper].___.
{O,o} O RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
Links: Penny Arcade, YTMND, Something Awful.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 4 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-23-06 03:07:59 PM)

Not going to see, have no interest in seeing it, and will probably be very curt when someone tries to tell me about their movie-experience. I just don't see why anyone thought this would be a good idea. Ever.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 5 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-23-06 04:13:16 PM)

Quoted from TRC:
Not going to see, have no interest in seeing it, and will probably be very curt when someone tries to tell me about their movie-experience. I just don't see why anyone thought this would be a good idea. Ever.

Hmm, I don't understand that, either. Movies are made about tragic events all the time; seems it is okay to exploit anything so long as it didn't happen on venerated American soil.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reply 6 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 01:04:21 PM)

If it's going to be in the vein of Pearl Harbor, I'm going to avoid this movie like it's a bubonic rat. Besides, at this point, like Emtilt, I'm sick to death of the subject matter.

The issue of it being done too soon is that it still feels like there's things about 9/11 we don't know about yet. There are things that still haven't be declassified, the real story is still a blur for most people, and there are many other mysteries about what happened and why. To reveal new information by way of a fictional account seems to add to the confusion, if that's what they would be doing, and if they're going by the same old information that everybody has been getting all along, it comes across as though they're "adding it to the canon," as hazy as it remains. (Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ might be considered another example of this phenomenon). I'd much rather see an honest-to-goodness objective documentary with facts than a story with a "message."
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 7 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 04:40:24 PM)

There's a lot of "if"s in that post. Seems everybody who hasn't seen this movie hates it because of what they think is in it... ?

It's getting great reviews so far; I was watching Ebert & Roeper at the Movies last night and they lavished praise. Also, apparently there are a few people (traffic controller, etc) in the movie playing themselves, which is sort of amazing.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reply 8 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 05:05:15 PM)

I didn't say I hated the movie (after all, as you said, I haven't seen it) but I wanted to point out that there are so many ways it could go wrong and be exploitive and inaccurate.

Still, in light of those glowing reviews, I admit that I am curious to find out if it sucessfully avoided those pitfalls, but realize that it still has had to rely on a considerable amount of artistic license to fill in some gaps, and remain concerned about its impact as a "historical document."
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 9 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 05:21:25 PM)

Quoted from kayte:

It's getting great reviews so far...

I don't wanna sound overly cynical, but how many newspapers and such are gonna wanna publish a review that says the movie about the heroes who died on flight 93 sucks ass? I'm not saying it does (I haven't seen it), but are reviews really the best thing to go by?
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 10 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 07:03:36 PM)

Well you either go by the reviews or go see it your damned self, and I haven't gotten to option #2 yet, so I work with what's available. :/
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 11 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 07:09:55 PM)

Yeah Ebert & Roeper don't know shit.

On the movie: Don't think I'd really want to see it. It seems like a way to make money on a tragedy. (Of course isn't that life? 0_o) I guess its just awkward because so many assume you're suppose to connect with it because it really happend and all but truth be told I'm not bothered either way. Not sure if that makes me a monster or something, I just don't know those people and don't feel like glorifying their life by being touched through a film.

More a fan of Zombies.
My little website i'm a serial-killer :)
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 12 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 10:16:01 PM)

Doesn't really seem like that COOL of a plot to make a movie out of it.

War movies are about war. Plenty of action and endless possibilities to character types, evolutions, whatever. A movie about people going on a plane, having it be hijacked, and them taking it over just doesn't really seem that entertaining.

Yes I know this incident is real and sad and wasn't meant to amuse me, but I'm talking about why they would choose to make a movie about it doesn't appeal to me.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 13 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-24-06 11:16:58 PM)

Another way to cash in. Yay. It might actually be an excellent movie...and I'd still have no interest. And I really fucking appreciate the implications that I support terrorism by not watching it too! That really makes me want to see it. "People are forgetting! We won't let you forget! IF YOU DON'T SEE THIS MOVIE YOU ARE FORGETTING!"

Shut up. Shut up, hollywood.
DeathofSmokey: Smokey is the coolest guy I know.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 14 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-25-06 08:08:22 AM)

I caught a trailer for this the other day. It doesn't look at all interesting. I'll probably never bother to see it.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson

MikeRomard.com
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 15 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-25-06 12:40:09 PM)

My favorite part about the trailer is the guy who "just makes it" onto the plane, because oh what an irony, such tragedy, to arrive just in time only to die.
Who you know ever
Seen God?
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 16 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-25-06 08:02:46 PM)

TO
DIE
A
HERO

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN?
DeathofSmokey: Smokey is the coolest guy I know.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 17 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-27-06 03:39:23 PM)

The argument was moved to http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/display.php?tid=24528.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 18 of 19 (Originally posted on: 04-27-06 03:42:11 PM)

EDIT: I had the reply window up for a long time and didn't see chimp's post....

So yeah. I might see the movie, because when I'm not at school I always see a ton of movies, but I'm certainly not going to make a point to see it.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 19 (Originally posted on: 05-09-06 03:11:44 PM)

Unlocked now so that people who've actually seen it can discuss. i'm a serial-killer :) I still haven't. I'm broke, sob.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2419 | Total Posts: 19 ]