Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Iran Threatens US, Patriot Act Renewed, And Those Nasty Republicans... > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4288 | Total Posts: 44 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
(Originally posted on: 03-08-06 06:53:25 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quote:
VIENNA, Austria -
Iran threatened the United States with "harm and pain" Wednesday for its role in hauling Tehran before the
U.N. Security Council over its disputed nuclear program.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The United States has the power to cause harm and pain," Iran said a statement meant for delivery at the
International Atomic Energy Agency's 35-nation board meeting in Vienna on Iran's refusal to freeze uranium enrichment.

"But the United States is also susceptible to harm and pain. So if that is the path that the U.S. wishes to choose, let the ball roll."

In statements for the same meeting, the United States and its European allies said Iran's intransigence over its nuclear program has left the world no choice but to ask for the U.N. Security Council to take action against the Islamic regime.

"The time has now come for the Security Council to act," Gregory Schulte, the U.S. delegate to the IAEA, told board members. "Iran has still not come clean."

Schulte listed Iran's decision to curtail IAEA inspections, its expanding uranium enrichment program and worrying conclusions by IAEA inspectors that suggest at least past interest in nuclear arms as contributing to "mounting international concerns" about Tehran's nuclear intentions.

The IAEA meeting is in effect the last step before the Security Council begins to consider Iran's nuclear plans, which could lead to possible sanctions. Iran's president said earlier Wednesday that his country will not back down from plans to enrich uranium domestically.

Iran's statement against the United States was unusually harsh, reflecting Tehran's frustration at failing to deflect the threat of Security Council action against it in the coming weeks.

It attacked the "warmongers in Washington" for what it said was an unjust accusation that Tehran's nuclear intentions were mainly for military use. And it suggested the United States was vulnerable, despite its strength.

"Surely we are not naive about the United States' ... intention to flex muscles," said the statement. "But we also see the bone fractures underneath."

It also threatened broader retaliation, without being specific, saying Iran "will adapt our policy and adjust our approach to conform with the new exigencies."

France, Germany and Britain, which spearheaded the Feb. 4 IAEA resolution clearing the path for Security Council action, warned that what is known about Iran's enrichment program could represent only "the tip of the iceberg."

"We believe that the time has ... come for the U.N. Security Council to reinforce the authority" of the IAEA and its board, said a draft statement by the three European countries.

Austria, which holds the EU presidency, expressed regret at Iran's decisions to withhold "voluntary cooperation" from IAEA inspectors and resume uranium enrichment, which can be part of a process to make nuclear weapons.

The Austrian comments were made in a statement prepared for delivery on behalf of the
European Union and nearly a dozen nonmember European nations.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad remained defiant: "Our nation has made its decision to fully use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes and all have to give in to this decision made by the Iranian nation," he said in Iran. "We have made our choice."

His comments and U.S. and Russian statements the day before rejecting any compromise that would allow Tehran to enrich uranium domestically set the stage for Security Council action once the IAEA board meeting hears a report on the latest investigations into Iran's nuclear program and debates the issue.

A senior Western diplomat familiar with the Security Council negotiations said Tuesday that permanent council members Britain and France already were preparing a statement "urging" Iran to re-impose a freeze on all enrichment.

The diplomat, who requested anonymity in exchange for discussing strategy on Iran, said the statement also would call on Iran to fully cooperate with IAEA inspectors trying to establish whether the country had ever tried to make such weapons all requests made earlier by the board.

Still, stronger action may elude the council. Russia and China, which have Security Council vetoes, may use them to foil any resolution in that chamber that would meaningfully increase pressure on Iran, their political and economic ally.

Russia has been at the forefront of the Iranian nuclear talks over the past few months with a proposal to host Iran's uranium enrichment program. The United States and the European Union back the idea, but Iran has demanded the right to conduct small-scale uranium enrichment at home.

___

Associated Press writers Palma Benzenleitner in Vienna and Ali Akbar Dareini in Tehran contributed to this report.

Link

So yeah, it looks like we managed to piss off another muslim nation to the point that they are threatening us. I don't blame them for threatening us, because we've been doing it to them for years. I agree with the Iranians that they should be allowed to use nuclear capabilities for energy production, but for a weapons program, no.

Just when you thought everything was safe on the homefront, however:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congress on Tuesday renewed controversial provisions of the USA Patriot Act, the 2001 law passed weeks after the September 11 attacks to help the government investigate and capture possible terrorists.

The approval in the House of Representatives, by a vote of 280-138, sent the measure to President Bush for his signature.

The Senate last week voted 89-10 to approve the compromise package, which covers 16 provisions in the act that are set to expire on March 10.

"At last the Patriot Act will be reauthorized. And it's about time," Sen. Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican, said after last week's vote.

"It will make America more secure, and that's the bottom line."

Three provisions of the renewed act would be reviewed in four years; the other provisions are permanent.

"Law enforcement officials and the intelligence community will not have to guess what the law will be. They will have the tools to fight terrorism," Kyl said.

A version of the reauthorization bill was passed by the House last year. But in December, Senate GOP leaders were unable to muster the 60 votes required under Senate rules to break a filibuster blocking the measure.

The filibuster was supported by most Democrats and a handful of Republicans, who insisted more changes in the bill were needed to protect civil liberties.

On Tuesday, Republicans voted in favor of the measures 214-13; among Democrats, 66 voted for the renewal, and 124 voted against it. One Independent voted against renewal.

Some critics of the final legislation contended that it gives too much power to the executive branch.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich, an Ohio Democrat who unsuccessfully sought the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004, voted against the act in 2001 and said he was "even more opposed" to the renewal.

"I rise in strong opposition to this legislation because it offers only a superficial reform that will have little if any impact on safeguarding our civil liberties," Kucinich said in House debate, according to his Web site.

"Congress has failed to do its job as a coequal branch of government," he said. "The administration's attack on our democracy has to be reigned in."

President Bush, along with top Justice Department and FBI officials, lobbied hard for renewal of the act, calling it a vital tool in the battle against terrorism.

"I applaud the Senate for voting to renew the Patriot Act and overcoming the partisan attempts to block its passage," Bush said last week from New Delhi, India.

"The terrorists have not lost the will or the ability to attack us. ... This bill will allow our law enforcement officials to continue to use the same tools against terrorists that are already used against drug dealers and other criminals, while safeguarding the civil liberties of the American people."

Bush's statements were echoed by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

"The legislation provides additional tools for protecting mass transportation systems and seaports from attack; takes steps to combat the methamphetamine epidemic that is sweeping our country; and closes dangerous loopholes in our ability to prevent terrorist financing," he said.

The measure also would create a National Security Division at the Department of Justice, he said.

Among the more controversial provisions are the "roving wiretap" portion and the "sneak and peek" section. The first allows the government to get a wiretap on every phone a suspect uses, while the second allows federal investigators to get access to library, business and medical records without a court order.

Facing a filibuster led by Sen. Russ Feingold, a Wisconsin Democrat, the Senate compromise approved last week somewhat limits the government's power to compel information from people targeted in terror investigations.

Senators agreed to exempt most libraries from secret demands for information and to limit a "gag rule" on other businesses that receive those demands. (Full story)

The provisions approved by Congress initially were to have expired at the end of 2005. Lawmakers extended them on a temporary basis twice, most recently through March 10.

Link

Okay, I guess deep down I knew this was going to happen. The patriot act is Bush's best friend when it comes to invading personal privacy, with certain provisions removed, does anyone think it would do any good? Oh wait, what's this I found here:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Four Senate Republicans have proposed a bill to provide what one called "very rigorous oversight" of President Bush's controversial no-warrant domestic surveillance program while also giving it the force of law.

Sens. Mike DeWine of Ohio, Olympia Snowe of Maine, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, all members of the Intelligence Committee, introduced the bill late Tuesday afternoon in an effort to address criticism of the program and reach a compromise.

The White House is "OK with this approach," a spokesperson said.

The measure would create terrorist surveillance subcommittees under both the Senate and House intelligence committees to oversee the surveillance program.

The panel, meanwhile, rejected a full investigation of the program, which was acknowledged by Bush in December after it surfaced in media reports.

Bush authorized the National Security Agency shortly after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks to eavesdrop on Americans suspected of communicating with al Qaeda members overseas -- without obtaining a warrant from a special court under the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

According to DeWine, the bill would allow surveillance of international calls that involve a suspected terrorist but would require a program review every 45 days.

At that time, the administration would have three options: apply for a warrant, if there is enough information to justify one; stop the surveillance; or explain to Congress why it is in the national security interest to continue the surveillance and why officials cannot apply to the FISA court for a warrant.

"What this does is it provides for a case-by-case examination and oversight by the United States Congress ... of what the executive branch is doing," DeWine said.

Critics of the surveillance program, including some leading Republicans, have said it runs afoul of FISA. Sen. Arlen Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican, has said that the 1978 law "flatly prohibits any kind of electronic monitoring without a court order."

The administration has defended the program, contending that it is legal under the president's inherent authority and under a 2001 congressional authorization of the use of force against al Qaeda.

A subcommittee of seven committee members will be fully briefed on the surveillance program while the legislation is pursued, the senators said.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, the Intelligence Committee's ranking Democrat, objected to that plan Tuesday, arguing the entire committee should be involved.

"Our committee has to be fully informed if we are to guide the legislative debate on this program that is fast approaching," he said, adding that Democratic members of the panel had been excluded from negotiations with the White House.

Sen. Pat Roberts, a Kansas Republican who chairs the panel, said his goal has been "to reach accommodation, not confrontation."
Specter: White House 'on notice'

In a closed meeting Tuesday, the committee voted to reject a request by Rockefeller for what he called "a careful and fact-based review of the National Security Agency's surveillance eavesdropping activities inside the United States."

"The committee is, to put it bluntly, basically under the control of the White House," he told reporters.

"This was an unprecedented bow to political pressure," Rockefeller said. "You can't legislate properly if we don't know what's going on."

Specter, the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, on Tuesday threatened to limit funding for the NSA program if the Bush administration does not provide more details on the matter.

"We're having quite a time in getting responses to questions as to what has happened with the electronic surveillance program," he said.

"I want to put the administration on notice and this committee on notice that I may be looking for an amendment to limit funding as to the electronic surveillance program -- which is the power of the purse -- if we can't get an answer in any other way," he said.

In response to the bill proposed Tuesday, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said, "We've said for several weeks we're committed to working with Congress on legislation to further codify into law the president's authority to intercept conversations between suspected al Qaeda members who are calling into or out of the U.S.

"And we believe that the legislation is generally sound, and we are eager to work with Congress.

"However, we have said before, and we remain committed to this principle, that we will not do anything that undermines the program's capabilities, or the president's authority. Generally, we are OK with this approach," Perino said.

Link

Well, whatever was taken out of that Patriot Act is now being manipulated in another bill, just so we can have our lives invaded all over again. Now, I'm a fan of Orwellian and Rand type fiction, but this bullshit going on now within the US government is cutting the fine line of fiction and reality.

As far as Iran, well, shit is going to be hitting fans eventually, and we'll be invading, most likely, with the backing of the European Union, any time Bush gets ballsy again, or when the next republican takes seat in the White House.

The fucked up thing about what's going on with the US government right now, is that a lot of fucking twits seem to think that whatever Bush, his administration, or his cronies do, is right. With everything going on in the world, I'm damn glad the military won't be calling me back after my discharge (most likely medical). So yeah, fuck this bullshit.
If my ears could talk, they would say, "Thank you, Zorak. You have enriched us both."
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 1 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 08:38:08 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Well, at least the rest of my papers over Iran's nuclear situation this semester will be a bit more interesting.

But, dammit.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 11:50:51 AM)

With threats being made, and the backing of the European Nations, does anyone think it's possible that these might be used as loose "reasons" to justify not only an attack on Iran, but a draft?

I know that it's not probable, but it seems possible, considering the tactics that have been used by the US so far.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 3 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 01:29:58 PM)

The worrying question is whether russia and china would support Iran militarily.

Is this a potential WWIII scenario, or is it just posturing?
"Ah Florida... just think! Somewhere in this state, Jeb Bush is eating a live puppy."
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 4 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 03:03:07 PM)

Praise Iran! I'd like to see a bitter showdown to the death, unleashing a total war between the two countries. It's been awhile.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermgen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”

RUDOLF HESS
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 5 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 03:18:53 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Praise Iran! I'd like to see a bitter showdown to the death, unleashing a total war between the two countries. It's been awhile.

We get it, you're Canadian and totally counter-culture.
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person". Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with her are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my fucking endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 6 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 03:35:37 PM)

THAT'S IT, I'm moving to Wales
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 7 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 03:36:41 PM)

Why take Iran to the Security Council (which is again a valid tool, apparently), but not North Korea?

Again, this will make everybody want to get nukes as soon as possible, as that way no one messes with you.
Quote:
As far as Iran, well, shit is going to be hitting fans eventually, and we'll be invading, most likely, with the backing of the European Union

Not likely, as things stand right now. The US will need much more than what they've got so far from Iran for the EU to back them on the ground.
Quote:
With threats being made, and the backing of the European Nations, does anyone think it's possible that these might be used as loose "reasons" to justify not only an attack on Iran, but a draft?

Well, right now the US cannot invade without a draft. If the conditions for a draft are not mature yet, then the US cannot invade yet. That's how I see it anyway. Of course, Bush and co. might just not care and invade, since they could very well win the war easily with their current army, and they don't need to be too concerned about the aftermath since soon they'll all be retired.
Quote:
The worrying question is whether russia and china would support Iran militarily.

Why the hell would Russia and China move a finger for Iran? Even if any of them wanted an all-out war, they're not stupid. China might be prepared in the future, but not now - and frankly, I don't understand all this fear of China. When have they invaded anyone outside their historical area of influence?
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 8 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 04:27:46 PM)

Bush just got rejected about the Dubai ports issue, Shaquille O'Neal style

Quoted from CNN.com:
Congress declares war on ports deal
House committee votes 62-2 to block White House approval of deal

Wednesday, March 8, 2006; Posted: 6:12 p.m. EST (23:12 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congress sent its first shot across President Bush's bow Wednesday, as the House Appropriations Committee voted 62-2 to block a controversial deal that would allow Dubai Ports World to take over some terminals at U.S. ports.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 9 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 05:01:03 PM)

Quoted from Acheron:

It hardly even qualifies as posturing. Russia (and China to a lesser extent) is simply on better terms with Iran compared with the rest of the world. Russia's been trying to solve this problem one-on-one with Iran, and probably would prefer to do it that way. The most Russia or China would do would be to veto the resolution, but I doubt it will come to that.

Quote:

What the hell is wrong with you?
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 10 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 09:42:35 PM)

Quote:

If it causes harm to the EU or US, China would probably do it's best to help.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 11 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-08-06 09:45:35 PM)

Quoted from Squareknight:
Quote:

If it causes harm to the EU or US, China would probably do it's best to help.
They have a lot of American Dollars right now, after basically funding our Iraqi War debt.

I would be surprised to see them stab their investment in the back, and come out against us in some way.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Reply 12 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 03:02:00 AM)

Unless Bush decided to reinstate a draft, the US military is tied up too tightly around the rest of the world to go walking into Iran, at the moment. We don't even have enough soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, let alone enough to invade another country. I don't doubt that he would do it if Iran pissed him off enough, but we simply don't have the manpower to fight three fronts in the middle east, and continue the humanitarian missions that we have been running (India, Pakistan, Djbouti, etc). We would need more support from the EU and coalition forces than we have in Iraq and Afghanistan. So yeah, Iran would probably fully qualify the situation as WW3, if we invade.

Russia and China, well, it's been said already. China won't back them publicly in war because of the massive amount of US debt that they own. Russia simply does not have the military that it had years ago in the Cold War era, nor would they draw positive public support from their people. It's just the fact that they are allies and Russia is helping them develop nuclear power, not nuclear weapons. If we continue the path of simply tossing accusations and threats, we might further alienate Russia and their allies, pushing ourselves back into another Cold War type situation, but that's rather unlikely.

North Korea isn't all that much of a problem, if you really think about it. Launching a nuclear weapon would be a fatal mistake for them, and Kim Jong Il knows it. If he fires on Japan, South Korea, Japan, and the US would immediately place sanctions on NK and declare war against them. If they fired at China, then the Chinese would simply surround NK and reduce most of the country to rubble with their military. Kim Jong Il is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he fires at anyone, he's going to get fucked. All he can do is wave his arms around like a moron grabbing whatever media attention he can so he can make his mindless threats. He is still a tactical threat, but politically, easier to handle in comparison to Iran and Iraq.
If my ears could talk, they would say, "Thank you, Zorak. You have enriched us both."
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
Reply 13 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 05:16:03 AM)

Thanks for the perspective, people. I don't have the time to keep up with current events that I'd prefer to have. I like hearing about the news here for this reason.

In any case, I'm worried about nationalistic superpowers. If the US lost power, I'd rather regional governments take over. The EU, an EFFECTIVE organisation of american states, an oceanic/asian organisation, etc. Regional governments seem to have enough temperence not to start nationalistic conflicts. An effective arab regional government could have other arab nations sanctioning Iran. I'd like to see an actual league of nations as well.

Someone else has talked about patriotism and nationalism sweeping through the west. It worries me, makes me paraniod. I want WWIII to stay a monster in the closet rather than a threat.

If bush reinstates the draft, I'm leaving for Ireland. There's no way in hell I could take orders with a neocon in the whitehouse. If I were in a military unit I'd probably end up causing dissention and a collapse in morale.
"Ah Florida... just think! Somewhere in this state, Jeb Bush is eating a live puppy."
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reply 14 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 07:40:46 AM)

I can't be drafted for several reasons, so maybe that's the reason I feel a war would help the economy. i'm a serial-killer :)
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[01:19] witty tirade: wait wait wait
[01:19] witty tirade: let me get this straight
[01:19] witty tirade: I'm the thin attractive one
[01:19] witty tirade: and you, the fat one, are making fun of me?
[01:19] witty tirade: no sir I do not believe it.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 15 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 10:28:01 AM)

I hate it when people say WWIII! It implies a protracted conflict between two sides with relatively equal military and economic power! Right now, barring atomic warfare against Russia (and only Russia, no one else could hit us), there's no chance for a WWIII.

At the height of its power, the British Royal Navy was larger than the next two largest navies in the world, to ensure that the UK could compete reasonably well against a coalition of powers. Today, the United States' Navy could probably defeat the combined navies of the entire world. Something similar could be said about the United States' air force.

So if Russia somehow went nuts and decided it wanted to crack open the world with nuclear bombs, then we'd have a problem, but barring that I think that talk of WWIII should wait until we have a militarily potent China and a much more centralized EU free of US interests (not likely any time soon).
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 10:48:50 AM)

World Wars aren't limited to use of weapons of mass destruction though. Granted, WW1 had chemical weapons and WW2 was ended by a nuke, that doesn't exactly constitute the involvment in how they begin. For all we really know, the North Koreans could go crazy and nuke South Korea tomorrow. Would that alone incite WW3?

Quoted from Acheron:

If bush reinstates the draft, I'm leaving for Ireland. There's no way in hell I could take orders with a neocon in the whitehouse. If I were in a military unit I'd probably end up causing dissention and a collapse in morale.

You know, I've been pondering desertion a bit more frequently lately, but that's not related to the current war or the possibility of going back overseas. Whenever AWOL crosses my mind now, I just shoot down the thought, labeling it as ridiculously stupid. Then again, that's because I'm staring down the barrel of a medical discharge at the moment (hooray for 3 torn and protruding discs in my back!!!).

From what I'm seeing around my unit, most people here are letting their military brainwashing slip. We had one person come up hot on the most recent drug test (not me), several people are simply so close to getting out, they're just not giving a shit anymore. The people who are stuck for a few years are becoming even lazier than those who are out in less than 6 months, which is fucked up. There's a time to be complacent and lazy, which is when you're less than a year out, not a year in.
artzilla
Firefox remembers my PASSWORD

More like Grandpa AWESOME

Ballkicks: (+95 / -25)
Reg. Date: Dec 2005
Reply 17 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 11:48:27 AM)

Holy crap! This is what I've been saying all along. The Globalization crew are hard at work with their world domination agenda. Here is a link to what is being or is considered for the Draft. http://www.draftregistration.us/
Glad I'm 52...What is a concern for those who are near discharge is reserve status.
Mind over Matter! I don't mind and it don't matter!
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reply 18 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 12:01:27 PM)

Quoted from artzilla:
Holy crap! This is what I've been saying all along. The Globalization crew are hard at work with their world domination agenda. Here is a link to what is being or is considered for the Draft. http://www.draftregistration.us/
Glad I'm 52...What is a concern for those who are near discharge is reserve status.

Haha, the site is fake, but not far from what became a grim reality for me about a year and a half ago.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
artzilla
Firefox remembers my PASSWORD

More like Grandpa AWESOME

Ballkicks: (+95 / -25)
Reg. Date: Dec 2005
Reply 19 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 01:52:33 PM)

Yes I realized that I just needed some comedy relief.
Mind over Matter! I don't mind and it don't matter!
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 20 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 05:25:18 PM)

You know, after reading the topic post and nothing else, I am still wondering why the author felt it necessary to include three Bush-bashing topics instead of the daily quota of one.

If you really hate this admnistration and the things this country does to protect your right to hate it, then please, by all means, send our wonderful president a bomb or your local representative in congress a rather nasty, if not polite, letter of discontents.

Quote:
Would that alone incite WW3

Hardly, WW3 will be started by some rogue terrorist cell or cantankerous 21-year-old anarchists launching a nuclear missile out of the country and into another Nuclear Power; because any government with even a half-sane leader or assembly will never be as rash as to lose their power by attacking another power with nuclear weapons..
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 21 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 05:39:14 PM)

I hate it when people are sucked into the whole draft paranoia deal. No one wants your scrawny asses out there defending anything, trust me.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 22 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 05:45:09 PM)

and there will not be a WWIII. Atleast not in the forseable future, everyone is just being paranoid. chilll
The suns not yellow, its chicken...
IB
Stays True to His Name

I should die

Ballkicks: (+171 / -76)
Reply 23 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 06:35:30 PM)

Quoted from retard:
You know, after reading the topic post and nothing else, I am still wondering why the author felt it necessary to include three Bush-bashing topics instead of the daily quota of one.

sometimes, when people want to prove a point, they provide ample arguments to support it. facts, even. craziness!

also please do not mention "the things this country does to protect your rights" in a patriot act thread
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 24 of 44 (Originally posted on: 03-09-06 06:44:12 PM)

Quote:
So if Russia somehow went nuts and decided it wanted to crack open the world with nuclear bombs, then we'd have a problem, but barring that I think that talk of WWIII should wait until we have a militarily potent China and a much more centralized EU free of US interests (not likely any time soon).

As far as I know, Europe is declining in power faster than the US is. Their militaries are shrinking, economies stagnated, birth rate plummiting ect.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4288 | Total Posts: 44 ]