Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Battle of the IM's > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 ] [ Thread Views: 2733 | Total Posts: 18 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Which is the best IM?
This poll has expired.
MSN 12 votes, 46.154%
ICQ 5 votes, 19.231%
AIM 8 votes, 30.769%
YIM 1 vote, 3.846%
Totals: 26 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-20-02 11:26:28 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Which is the best IM? Here are my summaries of each of them.
Note that this concerns IM mediums, so Trillian doesn't count.

MSN: This IM allows each person to have an online account and contact list which they can access anywhere with internet. Authorization is fast and simple, and the message transfer is pretty quick. Other people can see when you are typing, which is a nice feature. You can change your display name, have multi-person convos and it has built in emoticons.

ICQ: This also allows you to change your display name, but it lacks some of the features of MSN. It has many options for preventing spambots and adolescent morons from accessing you, among other things. This may have been fixed in a newer version, but you couldn't get your contact list from other computers.

AIM: An easy to use IM program, pretty fast. You can't change your name, and it has emoticons. Has a warning system to alert people of others' misconduct, and has an avatar function. You can also post images directly on to it. Contact list is available internet-wide. You can also start chats quite easily.

YIM: Don't have much experience with this. Seems to be like MSN but without the name changing.
"If murder was legalised then everyone who is 14 or under would be killed by pedophiles."
-neo222
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-20-02 11:35:34 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

ICQ has ton's of mad crazy advanced features. But MSN is just cool. I choose MSN.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
FMP: Making a joke out of everything since, well, forever
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reply 2 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-21-02 05:42:15 AM)

MSN is clearly the best IM program around. Being able to change display names rocks, and the "Soandso is typing.." feature is awesome. And since it's associated with Hotmail, it tells you whenever you get an email. That's ultra-handy++.

And the latest version of AIM has the same "Soandso is typing.." feature that MSN has, but AIM still sucks.
Critical Acclaim for Flaming Arrow
| "Until I stop seeing you as hating me and wanting me banned, you're on my shit list." - Globethrasher |
| "Funny." - Sandamnit | "Your kingliness shuns Jews." - Wheezy | "I love you." - Zuri | "Spiffy." - NNY |
| "You opened me up to a whole new wonderful world of golden showers and bisexual group sex." - Dani |
| "If Gandhi were straight, and had really ugly children with Ed Gein, that kid might've been half as cool as Phil." - PR |
| "You manage to respond relatively quickly to IMs." - Emp | "You masturbate more than anyone else I know." - Kman |
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 3 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-21-02 10:13:34 AM)

the only ones ive used in their pure form (IE: not through trillian) is ICQ and AIM, and between those i prefer ICQ.
Never really understand what anything means
And how can I resist, something more than this?
Another second of my life, not knowing if it's true
Whispering the secret, whispering there is
Always something other, something more than this
Budzpip
Princess of your Mom
LBH was queer

Ballkicks: (+14 / -43)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 4 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-25-02 01:40:36 AM)

If you have YIM than it is better to have a yahoo email account as well because then it will notify you of new email. It tells you when the other person is typing. Built in telephone, u can use it to make phonecalls, cool emoticons my favorites are the alien and cow, interactive backrounds, overall its really fun to use
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 5 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-25-02 07:20:34 AM)

Trillian.

After that ICQ, because the options are far more varied than MSN, although granted some of them are useless crap.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Outspoken, Opinionated, Empassioned and Shameless.
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reply 6 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-25-02 07:31:24 AM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
ICQ: This may have been fixed in a newer version, but you couldn't get your contact list from other computers.
newer versions of icq store contact lists on the icq server
Desperation -> d espE RAtI on -> A Repo Edsn It -> A Rope Ends It
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 7 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-26-02 04:44:20 PM)

I've had too many problems with Trillian and AIM, and I haven't used Y! enough; So, for me, it is narrowed down to two...ICQ and MSN.

MSN, as of yet, has not failed me. I enjoy it, but I don't use it that often. I use ICQ quite often, but it has failed me atleast twice in the past. Though, out of all the IM's I've used, excluding MSN, it has had the least problems. Though, ICQ has many spammers, I still tend to use it more then MSN.
The Hyper Duck

Ballkicks: (+18 / -2)
Reply 8 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-26-02 08:02:57 PM)

MSN, because I hate most of the others. ICQ takes up too much background memory, AIM just sucks and I've never used YIM.
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 9 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-27-02 01:07:39 AM)

AIM. I've only used that and ICQ, and MSN a few times here and there. I prefer AIM over ICQ.

"MY BUM IS ON THE MAN!" - Flaming Arrow
"I just think circumsized dicks look a whole lot better" - Flaming Arrow

Fisher
INTL Premium Member
jhsdfi;loiha

Fishdick

Ballkicks: (+439 / -139)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 10 of 18 (Originally posted on: 10-27-02 05:46:22 PM)

Quoted from Ztolk:
Which is the best IM? Here are my summaries of each of them.
Note that this concerns IM mediums, so Trillian doesn't count.

MSN: This IM allows each person to have an online account and contact list which they can access anywhere with internet. Authorization is fast and simple, and the message transfer is pretty quick. Other people can see when you are typing, which is a nice feature. You can change your display name, have multi-person convos and it has built in emoticons.

ICQ: This also allows you to change your display name, but it lacks some of the features of MSN. It has many options for preventing spambots and adolescent morons from accessing you, among other things. This may have been fixed in a newer version, but you couldn't get your contact list from other computers.

AIM: An easy to use IM program, pretty fast. You can't change your name, and it has emoticons. Has a warning system to alert people of others' misconduct, and has an avatar function. You can also post images directly on to it. Contact list is available internet-wide. You can also start chats quite easily.

YIM: Don't have much experience with this. Seems to be like MSN but without the name changing.

A few problems

Quote:
MSN: Other people can see when you are typing, which is a nice feature

Aim has had this feature for two years.

Quote:
MSN: and the message transfer is pretty quick

However, the bandwidth usage of MSN is twice that of AIM

Quote:
MSN: have multi-person convos

Yeah, wtf? Every medium has that...

Quote:

Besides the fact that everything else is cool, including being able to leave messages for people who aren't logged on.

Quote:
ICQ: This may have been fixed in a newer version, but you couldn't get your contact list from other computers.

About 6 months ago

----------------------------------------------------------

My choice is clearly AIM - It is fast, has the best interface, isn't a fat ass bandwidth eater, and well maintainable.

But I use Trillian Pro, it clearly owns everything.
This post brought to you by the letters F and U

"ULTIMATE FUCK-UP OF THE WEEK!!" - FA
"it's not too late." - Mr. Pixies
"asschowder." - Mirthalac
"I really, really dislike you." - Dani
TheShadowDawn
Cautiously optimistic

Draggy

Ballkicks: (+82 / -11)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 11 of 18 (Originally posted on: 11-04-02 07:55:39 PM)

Quote:
Yeah, wtf? Every medium has that...

ICQ does not.
I'm going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 12 of 18 (Originally posted on: 11-04-02 11:20:06 PM)

I like AIM just because it's easy to use and most people I would ever talk to have it.
INTL Janitorial Services
Administrator

honestly i probably have Crohn's disease and should see a doctor

Ballkicks: (+360 / -80)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 13 of 18 (Originally posted on: 11-05-02 12:04:02 AM)

Quote:
ICQ does not.

ICQ does, nutbag.
So, yay
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reply 14 of 18 (Originally posted on: 11-05-02 05:39:51 PM)

How do you have multi person convos on ICQ then, nut bag?
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
izzy

used to be really horrible

Ballkicks: (+359 / -99)
Reply 15 of 18 (Originally posted on: 11-05-02 08:53:23 PM)

Right click - chat?

But trillian users can't use it.

Izzy
Kupo?
"It's funny because shitty ryhmes with witty." -Mr. Pixies
"Atheists beleive in the god of atheism" -Yehoshua Ben Yisra'el
"I used the BANME tag in one of my posts and they banned me!
WTF??? FA unban meeeee!"
-Kman
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 18 (Originally posted on: 12-23-02 12:17:04 AM)

I choose AIM, only because so many people that I know have it.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 18 (Originally posted on: 12-23-02 12:26:38 AM)

MSN. I haven't tried any others, except for AIM, which I hated. I like the display name and "------ is typing" features.
fdfzfdzfdzdzzdz
dufus

Ballkicks: (+24 / -7)
Reply 18 of 18 (Originally posted on: 12-23-02 01:59:16 AM)

I'd say Jabber if it was there.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2733 | Total Posts: 18 ]