Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > OLYMPIC HOCKEY! Weeeeee > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 9032 | Total Posts: 100 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-15-06 01:54:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Now I absolutely love the summer Olympics, but for me the winter Olympics are pretty boring. Maybe it's cause I don't like winter and snow, but it seems like the games are just "think of as many possible things to do with snow as possible."
Nonetheless, Olympics, winter and summer, are still always pretty cool. But for me the absolute BEST part of the winter Olympics is the ICE HOCKEY! It makes me excited like a little boy. I just got home in time to watch the US vs. Latvia game, right now the game is between the first and second period and I'm just so excited I had to make a thread.

So who do you think will win??
Obviously I'm rooting for the USA, but I'm scared of Canada.
Heres the info

GROUP A:
CANADA
FINLAND
CZECH REPUBLIC
GERMANY
ITALY
SWITZERLAND

GROUP B:
SWEDEN
KAZAKHSTAN
LATVIA
RUSSIA
SLOVAKIA
USA

Here is a good visual of how the tournament works. And it keeps up to date on the standings.

So far..Group A
Canada beat Italy 7-2
Finland beat Switzerland 5-0
Czech Republic beat Germany 4-1

Group B
Sweden beat Kazakhstan 7-2
And USA is playing Latvia and is winning 2-1, but the first period just ended so its far from over. And its exciting as hell. UPDATE second period just ended at its 3-2 Latvia. It's a game!

I love Olympic hockey.... and its back on!
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
This reply was last edited on 02-15-06 08:16:45 PM by D.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Ballkicks: (+192 / -38)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 1 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 02:33:46 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I always here the announcers talking about the difference in style between the NHL and other European leagues. But what is the difference in style? Which style do you prefer and why?

ps: USA!
Now you see this one-eyed midget
Shouting the word "NOW"
And you say, "For what reason?"
And he says, "How?"
And you say, "What does this mean?"
And he screams back, "You're a cow
Give me some milk
Or else go home"
D
Administrator

Reply 2 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 02:42:03 PM)

I don't really know the answer to that question, but I do know Olympic Hockey is always so much more interesting than the NHL. Even with the NHL's new rules (though I admit I haven't watched it much).

Aside from whatever it makes each game of Olympic Hockey more interesting, its more interesting in general because NHL is so long and each game isn't as important as the consecutive 8(?) game Olympic tournament.

This doesn't really have anything to do with what you asked, i'm just saying.

WEEEE
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 3 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 02:58:05 PM)

I was already to say, "thanks for your help dimi!" but you can forget about that now......
Shouting the word "NOW"
And he says, "How?"
Give me some milk
Or else go home"
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:08:25 PM)

I was watching the Canada-Italy game as I got ready for school this morning i'm a serial-killer :) Wheeeeeee!
johnny
citizens of tttland

Ballkicks: (+34 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 5 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:16:50 PM)

i'm cheering for canada, and i think we have a pretty good chance. but the czechs and russians both have pretty solid teams this year, and i'm sure the usa has a decent team too, so it could go quite a few different ways. i'd also be happy if finland won, but i'm defnitely hoping for canada to get the gold (it'll get us one closer to the 25 medals, overall, that we're not going to get).
every time something good happens to me you say it's some kind of madness, or i'm drunk, or i ate too much candy
D
Administrator

Reply 6 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:20:09 PM)

UGH the USA vs. Latvia game just ended in a TIE, 3-3... Such a crappy way for such an exciting game to have ended. Gotta give it to Latvia's goalie Irbe for making a ridiculous amount of saves.
Hoff
Lightnin' Hopkins

Helping a brother out.

Reply 7 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:23:10 PM)

Who are the stars of the olympic team? Any big name players that i would know?
Shouting the word "NOW"
And he says, "How?"
Give me some milk
Or else go home"
D
Administrator

Reply 8 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:33:55 PM)

Chris Chelios is the USA team captain.
Heres the rest of the USA team roster:
BLAKE Jason
CHELIOS Chris
COLE Erik
CONROY Craig
DRURY Chris
GIONTA Brian
GOMEZ Scott
GUERIN Bill
HATCHER Derian
HEDICAN Bret
KNUBLE Mike
LEOPOLD Jordan
LILES John-Michael
MODANO Mike
PARRISH Mark
RAFALSKI Brian
ROLSTON Brian
SCHNEIDER Mathieu
TKACHUK Keith
WEIGHT Doug

In Goal:
DIPIETRO Rick
ESCHE Robert
GRAHAME John

Grahame was in goal today.
I dunno if you were asking about team USA or in the entire tournament, but theres a lot of big NHL names through out the tournament.
skimmerboy11487
Yeaaaaa boi!

Ballkicks: (+11 / -4)
Reply 9 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 03:34:05 PM)

Don't forget to go to nbc.com and vote for who you think was the player of the game.
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reply 10 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 04:27:58 PM)

They should just go straight to Canada vs US and not make us wait as we sift through Europe.
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +v Jew
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +o Jew
<FlamingArrow> AHHHH ZIONIST TAKEOVER
*** FlamingArrow has left #INTL
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 11 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 04:42:17 PM)

hey, i'm Pavel Bure and i play for the Vancouver Canucks
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 12 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 04:54:09 PM)

I love hockey. Canada is going to take it.
I'd have put Crosby on the team.
I'd have left off a few people that are on the team.

In conclusion Canada has so much talent that even though they did not pick the exact team I would like to see, they will still likely win it.

However, I am going to be keeping a close eye on the Americans and as much as I wish the worst upon their team, my favorite player of all time is American and finally making a name for himself. I think Rolston will make a huge splash at these Olympics, especially with his stellar season so far in Minn. I think that he will become a lot more known as a result of these Olympics as well, now that he has become a higher calibre player. Keep an eye on him.
stumpy006

only a true pokemon master can evolve Mew to the third level

Ballkicks: (+19 / -8)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 13 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 08:49:40 PM)

Quoted from Hoff:
I always here the announcers talking about the difference in style between the NHL and other European leagues. But what is the difference in style? Which style do you prefer and why?

Before the rule changes to the NHL, the European leagues and International play were much more open - basically because there was a two-line pass in the NHL, and none in International rules.

Also, in the Olympics, the rink is 98 feet wide and 210 feet long ... compared to 85 feet wide and 200 feet long in the NHL. Bigger ice surface contributes to a more open style of play: longer passes, more room to skate, more breakaway opportunities, etc...

Quoted from CBC.CA:

Quote:
Style of play

The hard-hitting, close-checking style isn't as prevalent in the new NHL as in years past, but it still remains a part of the game. However, due to the bigger ice surface and the style of play, bodychecks and taking the body are less frequent on the international ice surface.

North American players will have to get used to a lot of stickwork. Fighting results in a game misconduct, so slashing, hooking and spearing are more frequent in international play.

Check this out for more information:

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/sports/icehockey/essentials/intlvsnhl.shtml
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1306 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 14 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 08:57:19 PM)

Canada scared me a little this morning, because the Italians had a few good (and close) scoring opportunities. Then I remembered that several of the Italian players are actually Canadian, but have Italian parentage.

All the olympic players seem old, though. I'd like to see some newer guys in there, too. Gretzky is under a lot of heat, but frankly, I don't blame the media - there's some weird choices.

The American team doesn't seem to be that strong, either. Many of those players are getting older - several very close to retirement from the NHL, and no real star power (although Dipietro has made quite a name for himself).
"One time I spilled ice cream on my pants and we had to throw them out."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
The Hunger Site
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 15 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 09:01:53 PM)

The Slovaks,Cezchs have really strong teams
the swedes on paper look strong also.

Germany has some descent talent and could upset someone even Canada.

Russia and the USA are going to have a tough time, the US does not have a stand out goalie and will need to rely on fire power.

Many small european nations have "nothing" to lose so they will be harder to beat.

If kipper can bring it to the table watch out for finland since they played canada to a 3-2 game in the world cup of hockey last year.
www.thepartylive.com
stumpy006

only a true pokemon master can evolve Mew to the third level

Ballkicks: (+19 / -8)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 16 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-15-06 09:05:48 PM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
Canada scared me a little this morning, because the Italians had a few good (and close) scoring opportunities. Then I remembered that several of the Italian players are actually Canadian, but have Italian parentage.

All the olympic players seem old, though. I'd like to see some newer guys in there, too. Gretzky is under a lot of heat, but frankly, I don't blame the media - there's some weird choices.

The American team doesn't seem to be that strong, either. Many of those players are getting older - several very close to retirement from the NHL, and no real star power (although Dipietro has made quite a name for himself).

The Olympics are no time to bring out the B-team. Gretzky went with an experienced, albeit veteran team. I like his choices for the team ... you've got to remember that no matter who it consisted of, there would still be people saying, "Hey, you forgot _______". Truth be told, Canada could probably put together a second team consisting of all players who weren't put on this squad, and pull off a Gold and Silver finish.

Adam, Crosby's too young to be on team Canada. Sure he's good, but he's just too young. Let him get some NHL experience before you put him on a team like this. I'm sure they won't forget him come the 2010 Winter Olympics.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 17 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 05:13:51 AM)

Quote:
They should just go straight to Canada vs US and not make us wait as we sift through Europe.

You mean like you just sifted through the well-known hockey powerhouse of Latvia?
DRAHNIER
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 18 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 06:31:33 AM)

Quoted from anaemic_royalty:
Quote:

You mean like you just sifted through the well-known hockey powerhouse of Latvia?
Exactly.

I love how the U.S. basketball team lost to Lithuania in Athens, yet I would bet my life that no player on the team could have found that country on a map.

Hell, I don't even think I could.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 08:38:27 AM)

Quoted from Dante:
Quote:

Exactly.

I love how the U.S. basketball team lost to Lithuania in Athens, yet I would bet my life that no player on the team could have found that country on a map.

Hell, I don't even think I could.

Eastern europe, baltic sea near Latvia

today there is more and more europeans playing in the NHL and the gap is closing. 10 years ago the Swiss started employing Canadian and American coaches and admins to help set up some infrastructure to create a better swiss hockey program. And its comming around, their mens and junior teams are getting better each year.

The Czech republic is about the size of Nova Scotia and beat team Canada last year. Anyone could pull off a win at the olympics, well maybe except Kazakhstan
www.thepartylive.com
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 20 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 11:41:08 AM)

Another miserable failure for Sweden begins with being crushed by Russia.
I didn't catch the last period but it was 0-3 when i left.

Underachieving in big tournaments has become sort of a Swedish trademark during the past 10 years, and don't be surprised if we miss the quarterfinal.
DRAHNIER
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 21 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 11:44:12 AM)

which is sad considering you have the 3 sundins, alfredsson and countless others on your team.

WTF TEAM SWEDEN
www.thepartylive.com
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 22 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 11:50:28 AM)

It's one Sundin and 2 Sedin.

Big difference.
DRAHNIER
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 12:48:25 PM)

It's one Sundin and 2 Sedin.

Big difference.

3 top notch players that choked?
www.thepartylive.com
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 24 of 100 (Originally posted on: 02-16-06 01:11:40 PM)

Oh we have like 20 of those.

We're like the Spanish football team of hockey.
In Swedens case it seems more like a lack of passion than choking under pressure, though.
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 02-16-06 01:20:46 PM by drahnier.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 9032 | Total Posts: 100 ]