Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Wal-Mart is a Plague Upon This Great Land > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4892 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
(Originally posted on: 02-10-06 06:23:15 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Wal-Martís insanely fast growth over the past two decades has left a distinctly negative impact on the American lower and middle classes that it claims to help. The ridiculously low prices that the store is known for may have turned it into the largest retailer in the world, but this is at the expense of its own employees and common workers as a whole.

The State of Maryland passed a bill last month that acts as a solid first step towards protecting Wal-Mart workers. By demanding the company pay for health insurance for its employees, the legislation aims to stop Wal-Martís practice of relying on state-run health care coverage. Despite being vetoed by the Governor of Maryland, the bill passed by override, which showed the tenaciousness of the state congress in fighting for workers. It is only one state, however, and nationwide action is still needed. Wal-Martís impact on the working class goes far beyond just failing to provide health insurance to employees, too.

Here is a link to what the Homo Commies at the Washington Post reported:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28219-2005Apr5.html

The company has a policy of keeping the majority of its workers part time employees. This serves to limit what Wal-Mart is obligated to pay them in benefits, and also allows them to keep wages low, and a smaller percentage of salaried workers (with stable positions).

The negative impact from Wal-Martís practices extends far past its own employees, as well. Vendors, the companies that Wal-Mart gets its products from, are forced to lower their asking prices to get into stores, sometimes even taking a loss. To many of them, getting their products sold in the the worldís largest retailer can be the difference between survival and bankruptcy, and they are forced to sell at whatever price Wal-Mart demands. This leads in many cases to job cuts at vendor companies, indirect casualties of Wal-Mart, but casualties nonetheless.

The employees and owners of Americaís Ďmom and popí stores are perhaps the hardest hit. They just canít compete with Wal-Martís low prices, and close their doors. Slowly, but surely, jobs are disappearing from the nationís local economies. The nature of Wal-Martís stores also contributes to suburban sprawl, and Americaís oil dependency. With every local store that closes its doors, a large group of people now have to drive to get groceries, or clothing. Despite thousands of stores across the country, very few people are within walking distance of a Wal-Mart.

I feel that to stem this shittide, we must follow the lead of Maryland, and act with legislation. We need to protect our working class, rather then allow business practices that are bad for the American people to line the pockets of upper-class stock holders, at the expense of our countryís workforce. POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Edit: As a bonus, here is an audio clip of some Marxist faggot from NPR about what she thinks of Wal-Mart's business practices:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5158009
This reply was last edited on 02-10-06 06:30:33 AM by Dante.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 06:54:28 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Not only Wal-Mart, but basically any large chain or Corp will keep mostly part time employee's, dante. Its cheeper, easier to schedual and most of the time part time can still recieve some coverage. So really [Wal-Mart] having a majority isnt that big a issue. I agree with them, if you only work twenty hours a week there maybe you shouldn't get coverage. If you're young enough you might have it through your parents. Old enough you might have it through the state.

One thing I have read and do strongly dislike about Wal-Mart is their hiring process. A memo reported I believe to TIME by an ex-employee stated Wal-Mart was wanting to only hire people who appeared healthy as to avoid high health care cost.
My little website i'm a serial-killer :)
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 09:30:42 AM)

I have always tried to shop at smaller stores in around the town. The only time I go to wal-mart is to buy equipment for playing paint-ball. I hate wal-mart in general , but hate alot of large department stores, because I know people who work at wal-mart and I never could understand how someone can be fucking working into the ground for 6 bucks an hour.

I believe Chris Rock said something to the effect that mim-wage is just a way of saying if I could pay you less I would.
www.thepartylive.com
ExtraKryspi
I WHINE ABOUT ASININE SHIT
i like your style kryspi

Ballkicks: (+117 / -63)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 12:36:37 PM)

If you disagree with Wal-Mart's policies then don't shop there. Don't support this dumbass legislation that's just going to further support and propagate economic inefficiency. The only sort of industries the government maybe should regulate are monopolies. Wal-Mart is not a monopoly. If current economic conditions dictate that workers get paid shitty wages, then so be it.
e io etterna duro
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 01:30:53 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
The negative impact from Wal-Martís practices extends far past its own employees, as well. Vendors, the companies that Wal-Mart gets its products from, are forced to lower their asking prices to get into stores, sometimes even taking a loss. To many of them, getting their products sold in the the worldís largest retailer can be the difference between survival and bankruptcy, and they are forced to sell at whatever price Wal-Mart demands. This leads in many cases to job cuts at vendor companies, indirect casualties of Wal-Mart, but casualties nonetheless.

So, do you have any source for this conspiracy theory or is it just bullshit speculation?

Quoted from dante:
The employees and owners of Americaís Ďmom and popí stores are perhaps the hardest hit. They just canít compete with Wal-Martís low prices, and close their doors. Slowly, but surely, jobs are disappearing from the nationís local economies. The nature of Wal-Martís stores also contributes to suburban sprawl, and Americaís oil dependency. With every local store that closes its doors, a large group of people now have to drive to get groceries, or clothing. Despite thousands of stores across the country, very few people are within walking distance of a Wal-Mart.

Similary, do you have any actual numbers? All I see now is "this surely must make America significantly more dependent on the Middle East!"
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 02:22:58 PM)

This is a pretty well-known fact, even in sweden where there are no wall-marts. (yet)

We do however have similar shitty low-price store chains such as the German "lidl".
DRAHNIER
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 03:22:50 PM)

Quoted from Agon:
Quoted from dante:

Similary, do you have any actual numbers? All I see now is "this surely must make America significantly more dependent on the Middle East!"

If Wal-Mart were an individual economy, it would rank as China's eighth-biggest trading partner -- ahead of Russia, Australia, and Canada. Ten percent of the U.S.'s Chinese imports go directly to Wal-Mart. Approximately 70% of all products that reside on Wal-Mart's shelves are of Chinese origin. That translates into a loss of jobs in the U.S. because
a) goods made in China are cheaper to purchase; therefore Wal-Mart can afford to sell such low-priced products, which makes it hard for mom and pop stores to compete AND
b) you're essentially exporting jobs by creating a healthy demand for Chinese goods and a much lower demand for American goods.

It's not a conspiracy. It's big business. And in the long run, it's bad for the economy.
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy[/w]

[w]Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 06:24:01 PM)

Quoted from Agon:
Quoted from Dante:

So, do you have any source for this conspiracy theory or is it just bullshit speculation?
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

as well as http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_40/b3852001_mz001.htm

BusinessWeek and FastCompany...Not exactly liberal thinktanks.

And also, this is not to say that I don't have dozens more sources that confirm this, but they'll have to wait until I'm feeling less lazy.

Quoted from Agon:
Quoted from dante:

Similary, do you have any actual numbers?

Quote:
All I see now is "this surely must make America significantly more dependent on the Middle East!"
The oil idea is an educated guess that may or may not be true.

The suburban sprawl thought is well documented, however. They build huge buildings with enormous parking lots, and once they move out, it can take years for another large store to move into the building. That equals extended suburban sprawl.

Once again, give me a day or two, and I will document this.
This reply was last edited on 02-10-06 06:56:51 PM by Dante.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 07:22:11 PM)

A worthy post, Dante, bringing to light a fact that most everyone already knows.

You propose legislative reform for workers as one solution. But that in reality solves very little, other than pleasing the idiots that work for Wal-Mart so they can spend more on buying things, supporting the system, paying less for ailments that the system inflicts upon them, as well as pleasing the leftists that cry out because they [workers] aren't being treated fairly enough.

Maybe it's time to actually get doing things and start thinking "Hey, maybe we should stop blaming the symptoms for the sickness".
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermŲgen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darŁber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”

RUDOLF HESS
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 07:40:55 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
A worthy post, Dante, bringing to light a fact that most everyone already knows.
Ok.

You seem to want to comment about it, as seen below. Mission Accomplished.

Quoted from Bon:
You propose legislative reform for workers as one solution. But that in reality solves very little, other than pleasing the idiots that work for Wal-Mart so they can spend more on buying things, supporting the system, paying less for ailments that the system inflicts upon them, as well as pleasing the leftists that cry out because they [workers] aren't being treated fairly enough.

Maybe it's time to actually get doing things and start thinking "Hey, maybe we should stop blaming the symptoms for the sickness".
No, it would give millions of workers the security of health insurance. The money they save from having that benefit will go back into the economy.

Or maybe I am just misinterpreting your post. Are you calling out for some sort of class demolition? Because limiting stratification and widening the middle class with a rising Living Wage and healthcare/worker reforms would much more achieveable and effective over time.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 09:23:03 PM)

Quote:
No, it would give millions of workers the security of health insurance. The money they save from having that benefit will go back into the economy.

That wasn't my point. I addressed the solving the problem.

Quote:
Or maybe I am just misinterpreting your post. Are you calling out for some sort of class demolition? Because limiting stratification and widening the middle class with a rising Living Wage and healthcare/worker reforms would much more achieveable and effective over time.

No, I'm not calling for class demolition. But yes, you misinterpreted my post.
“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermŲgen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darŁber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”

RUDOLF HESS
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-10-06 10:11:15 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Quote:

That wasn't my point. I addressed the solving the problem.

Quote:

No, I'm not calling for class demolition. But yes, you misinterpreted my post.
Well, then please restate it in a way understandable to my mere mortal ears. What are the things we should "get doing"?
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 05:43:18 AM)

it's not surprising that maryland is the only state doing that, as the higest grossing wal-mart in the country (for 2005, i believe) is located in hagerstown. we also had one of the highest grossing garfields and the highest grossing sheetz, too, i believe.

edit: actually, i think it may have been 2004, but whatever. the fact remains that hagerstown is still populated by a bunch of low-rent, cheap, redneck bitches.
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 11:59:13 AM)

All of this -- including the job exporting issue -- would be lessened significantly by nationalized healthcare.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 12:57:21 PM)

Quoted from Wanderlust:
All of this -- including the job exporting issue -- would be lessened significantly by nationalized healthcare.
I think we already tried that with Social Security. Yeah, didn't really turn out so well.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 07:04:06 PM)

Quoted from Wanderlust:
Hey, while we're at it we should just nationalize all business!
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 07:10:35 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
Quoted from Wanderlust:
Hey, while we're at it we should just nationalize all business!
We need to harness the power of capitalism, to make up for its shortfalls in certain areas, such as working class protection.

There is no reason that Wal-Mart shouldn't be required to give health insurance to its employees who need it.

Doing so would barely make a dent in the company's 250 billion dollar profits.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 07:38:29 PM)

Is this 250 billion before or after all of the expenses are paid? because I doubt that this is 250 Bil of net profits
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 10:25:48 PM)

This is why I don't shop there, or work there

if you want to beat wal-mart then all you have to do is keep shopping at those mom and pop stores

I love how so many people complain about how evil it is, and then get the grocies there

It's boils down to this, people complain that the employies are treated unfairly, and that wal-mart ships jobs over seas.

It's a travesty! somebody should pay for this! Somebody else that is

I mean seriously, SHOP SOME WHERE ELSE PEOPLE
"Nice guys finish last, then we sleep in" - Duk's Sig
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-11-06 11:32:18 PM)

Wal-Mart will be the government soon. The president and the CEO of Wal-Mart will be one and the same in the future, and he will live and work at the White Wal-Mart.

I can't wait till they have movie theaters and car dealerships and airports.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 06:34:58 AM)

If Wal-Mart is evil then its the most affordable and conveniant I've ever run across.

For some reason I just recalled seeing a video of an annual Wal-Mart convention. It sounded frighteningly similiar to a church revival-convention.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 11:34:01 AM)

Quoted from mmac:
Is this 250 billion before or after all of the expenses are paid? because I doubt that this is 250 Bil of net profits
The company made $288 billion in revenues in 2005, which translated into ~$20 billion of net profit.

Both are astonishingly large numbers.
mmac
INTL Premium Member

3ms will rise again

Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 11:57:50 AM)

Forgive my ignorance, but is that prior to paying salaries?

Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-12-06 07:05:51 PM)

probably not, but realistically it's not an incredible amount of of profit

it's about 7% profit, which about as much a good yield on any investment
atlas sighed (at me)
User is currently banned until further notice.

Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 02-14-06 05:03:19 PM)

We don't need Wal Mart, but, as the author suggests otherwise, we need stores like Wal-Mart.

In America, we live in times where our standard of living dwarfs that of most every other society on the planet; indeed, the poorest members of our society live a better life then roughly 2/3 of the planet. And because of that, we absolutely must keep prices as low as we possibly can or our inflation in this country would rise and the annual GDP growth would shrink from 3.5% to below 1% and the average standard of living would subsequently drop as well due to the now substantially higher prices from those 'Mom & Pop' shops who can't offer products at the prices we have grown up around since the late 60's.

Wal-Mart, along with every other bargain giant, fills this need, and provides cheap consumer goods for 'daily life' at a prices which doesn't substantially subtract from us buying other things from higher-tier stores like auto dealerships, clothing boutiques, electronic stores, et cetera. Though people like to demonize Wal-Mart for what it does to its mainly poor employees, we must grow-up and realize that our lovely and comfortable middle-class lives are not a product of our industriousness or intelligence, but because of the phenomenon that is bargain superstores and their iconographic head, Wal-Mart.
This reply was last edited on 02-14-06 05:46:32 PM by atlas sighed (at me).
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4892 | Total Posts: 49 ]