Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Allergic reactions > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3615 | Total Posts: 27 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
swiss
Alcoholics Anonymous

And I tip my hat to YOU, Swiss.

Ballkicks: (+205 / -13)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-08-06 06:03:44 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

SO I get up today and haed to work as usual (but at 10 o'clock on weekends) and I'm eating this nice southern fried chicken wrap from tesco (big supermarket chain in Britain for those who might now know) and I spot reddish things in it and assume they're either red peppers or processed washed tomatoes as befits the producers and wholesalers of the largest collection of supermarkets in Britain.

5 minutes down the (now late) bus route and I notice a tickling in my throat that progresses into an itchy tickly sore throat. I recognise this as the first signs of eating unwashed fruit including tomatoes that may have been treated and not been cleaned of chemicals.

By the time I'm off the bus and walking to work I'm starting to notice my breathing getting harder and I realise that this is hardly gonna be good when already turning up to work late.

Up the stairs to the office and I'm really draging my breath in and I stop to catch it on the landing while trying to get hold of the project manager who was on late duty. By the time I get to her she notices I'm having a rather rough time of breathing and suggests I sit down for a few minutes before starting work. I agree in the hope that it will pass within 5-10 mins.

It didn't

It got worse.

Sitting in the break room, head practically between my knees, I'm forcing myself to breathe but only managing rapid short breaths. I keep telling everyone who comes in that I'll be alright soon, hoping that I can convince myself I'll be ready to work by 10:15, but by half 10 it's still a struggle.

By 10:45 I'm starting to manage my breathing and getting slow even breaths in but feeling light-headed and weak. Head still bowed I manage to smile weakly to my co-workers who ask if anythings wrong and I tell them my suspicions. One supervisor came up to get a coffee from the machine behind me and suggested I bolt for the day. I replied that I might have to and then tried to get up before seeing stars and nearly fainting and having to catch my breath again... and the table, and sit back down.

By 11 I'm in control again and my breathing is slow and deep despite still feeling a slight pressure around my throat. I go and tell the project managers and supervisors and they phone a cab to take me to the bus-stop, as I didn't think I had the energy to do the 5minute walk and was still feeling dizzy.

I knew all along I'd be fine, but that's the worst reaction to unprocessed fruit I've ever had and it half-scared me. I'm also angry as this generally only occurs when the fruit (which includes tomatoes) is treated with preservative chemicals or pesticides and relatively fresh. I eat tomatoes in other forms all the time and my grandad's tomatoes are fine as he grows them naturally and without any sprays etc, so this is actually a direct result of something happening in tesco's production.

Thankfully I'm only allergic to a few things and most of my allergies are perfectly tame. But I know many people have seriously life-threatening allergies and I was just wondering who here has an allergy this bad or worse?

Computer games don't affect kids! I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
Megan

Salamando wishes.

Ballkicks: (+53 / -19)
Reg. Date: Nov 2004
Reply 1 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 09:24:34 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm allergic to penicillin. I had to get a shot of it for some reason or another and I broke out in hives, and I couldn't stand up without getting really dizzy and really tired.
Alloy
Grammar Whores Unite

Androgynous Mystic Wizard

Ballkicks: (+95 / -20)
Reg. Date: Jan 2006
Reply 2 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 09:39:24 AM)

I'm allergic to penicillin and I have mild hayfever. Neither are life-threatening, but both are a nuisance. Especially the hayfever, since where I live, I can't walk two steps without encountering pollen in one form or other. In spring and summer I usually have trouble breathing because of congestion.
Sith
INTL Premium Member
Mango

Snake high score hog

Ballkicks: (+50 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 3 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 09:44:41 AM)

I'm allergic to grass pollen. Not life threatening, but it can make Summer very unpleasant; sometimes it's so bad that anti-histamine tablets don't work.

Speaking of which, anti-histamine tablets are supposed to help with other allergic reactions too - might be worth getting some in case you stumble across more chemical-laden products.
stumpy006

only a true pokemon master can evolve Mew to the third level

Ballkicks: (+19 / -8)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 4 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 10:45:23 AM)

I'm not allergic to anything, but my younger brother is allergic to eggs. When he was no older than two years old, my dad fed him french toast (for those who don't know, one of the main ingredients is egg). His face soon after started to swell up, which progressed to his throat. We rushed him to the doctors office, during which he was having alot of difficulty breathing ...

The doctor diagnosed him almost immediately and gave him a shot. He then told us that if we were any later, his throat may have swelled shut and he would have passed out and probably died.

Scary shit!
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 5 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 11:29:07 AM)

Thankfully I'm not allergic to anything, as far as I know. It's said allergies are on the rise, I wonder why. Pollution and all that shit, I guess.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 6 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 11:57:47 AM)

And also the fact that medicine is more advanced today and babies who would normally die survive to grow older with the allergies makes it seem like it's on the rise too.
superstar satisfaction

pseudO Buddha

Ballkicks: (+21 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2005
Reply 7 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 02:50:59 PM)

I'm allergic to dogs but I love my dog :wah:
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 05:54:55 PM)

Nickel in belt buckles would give me a rash, and Ivory brand soap burned my peepee when I was little, I don't know if that was an allergic reaction.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 9 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 05:59:00 PM)

I'm allergic to most antibiotics and prescription painkillers. Please kill me now.
animatedcardigan: your nose is sexy[/w]

[w]Apprenticed under Kage-STFU the art of bujutsu
"It is in Men that we must place our hope." - Gandalf the Grey
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 10 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 06:05:47 PM)

I'm allergic to like dogs and cats and horses, and i go achuu and achii around them......

I hope i'm not immune to any meds, since i haven't really taken any, so when the time arrises, and they really need to work in an emergency, my body hasn't grown immune to them.....

like people who pop pills everytime they get a cold, jesus, just make a sandwhich with some nice cold cutts
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
SmallFry
I think that you should find him on campus and "hawk a loogie" into your hand and then smack him across the face with it

Ballkicks: (+67 / -11)
Reply 11 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 07:27:42 PM)

I'm allergic to milk, but I didn't know that I was allergic to milk until I became a vegan and stopped drinking/eating it.
Pussy Manifesto!
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 12 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 07:46:55 PM)

Quoted from SmallFry:
I'm allergic to milk, but I didn't know that I was allergic to milk until I became a vegan and stopped drinking/eating it.

OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!? How does that work?

I'm not allergic to anything that I'm aware of, which is great.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 13 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 07:51:28 PM)

This thread is like a discussion in a retirement home...

With white spider stars coming down
And night blowing black from the ground
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 14 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-08-06 08:50:29 PM)

I'm allergic to penicillin and amoxicillin, and if I get either I hive up very badly and I run a really high fever.
I'm allergic to peanuts and I don't think I get anaphalaxis, but I have an Epipen somewhere just in case.
I'm allergic to small stuff (pollens, dust, mites, pet dander) and sometimes I hive but I almost always sneeze a lot.
<Zippo279> that's sexy
<Amphy> not quite.
<Zippo279> shhh
<Zippo279> you can't tell me what i think is sexy!

As told by Pixies:
Vervet has 999,999 freckles....977,322 of them she rents out to the rest of the human population, she gave 30 away to charity

Proud new adopter of a leggo my eggo ifo.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 15 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 11:14:34 AM)

Sorry guys but I find many allergies simply hilarious.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reply 16 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 11:27:19 AM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Sorry guys but I find many allergies simply hilarious.

i like to pinch my nose and read the posts out loud

zippo-chan is my new samurai graduate......if anyone objects, speak now and forever rest in peace
SmallFry
I think that you should find him on campus and "hawk a loogie" into your hand and then smack him across the face with it

Ballkicks: (+67 / -11)
Reply 17 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 01:35:56 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
Quoted from SmallFry:

OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!? How does that work?

I'm not allergic to anything that I'm aware of, which is great.

I felt a lot better in general once I became a vegan, and now if I accidentally have milk or something I get really sick..which could just be intolerance because my body isn't used to digesting it, but my dad has milk allergies too so I figure that's it.
Pussy Manifesto!
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reply 18 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 07:52:36 PM)

I'm not allergic to anything, but I did break out in hives in grade 7 after participating in some 30 hour famine thing to raise money for poor kids somewhere. No idea how it happened though, as it happened 10 or so hours into it.
www.anus.com[/whisper]
www.nazi.org[/whisper]
[whisper]www.overthrow.com

[whisper]NO MOSH NO CORE NO TRENDS NO FUN
Shadowflare

Ballkicks: (+3 / -0)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 19 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 09:53:52 PM)

I'm allergic to pet dander. It's my only one, as far as I know. I'm not adventurous enough to endevor to find more.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reply 20 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 09:58:57 PM)

I'm alergic to ugly people. While we're at it, I'm allergic to stupid people too.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.

nevermind, this is permanent
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reply 21 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-09-06 10:13:29 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
I'm alergic to ugly people. While we're at it, I'm allergic to stupid people too.

How do you live with yourself?!

wakka wakka

With white spider stars coming down
And night blowing black from the ground
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 22 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-10-06 04:42:17 AM)

I'm lucky i'm not allergic to anything. Although I know a little girl who seems to be allergic to so many things. Any dairy, nuts and she has really bad skin reactions with some materials. She has to bath in a special ointment each night to keep her skin normal or something.

I don't remember to well since it's been years since i've seen her but i'm pretty sure there where some other things. Her twin brothers almost died when I gave them a nut.
You are just jealous because you don't have the poke'mon theme song on your mp3 player!

J monkey <3
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reply 23 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-10-06 07:39:19 AM)

Quoted from mmac:

I was waitng for some moron to post some inane shit like that, and mmac is the winner/loser
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reply 24 of 27 (Originally posted on: 01-10-06 02:11:31 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
This thread is like a discussion in a retirement home...
've noticed this is a very unhealty forum. Remember the thread about diabetes? Like 8 diabetics then. And the one of psychiatric disorders? Most of us have obsessive disorders, or drug addictions. Fellows, you don't deserve survival.
Thy hand, belinda, darkness shades me.
On thy bosom let me rest.
More I would, but death invades me.
Death is now a welcome guest.

When I am laid in earth, may my wrongs create
No trouble in thy breast.
Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.

Henry Purcell
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3615 | Total Posts: 27 ]