Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > The Arena: Bunch of dudes talking about balls > Health and Fitness!! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6462 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-04-06 08:37:00 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This is the thread for everyone to talk about any health/food/fitness related issues, and advice. Seeing as how some of us have been motivated by the New Year to start new routines, this is the place to talk about how they are progressing, or anything else related.

So far I've just been doing so so. My goals are:

To not eat shitty all the time or even half the time

To move around a little bit more

To try and drink less red wine (omg KILLS!!)

One of my big problems is I wait too long to eat an then when I do get to food, I'm starved. I have to take medication on an empty stomach frist thing each day, and then wait an hour for it to absorb. I am one of those people who is usually ALWAYS hungry within an hour of waking up. So by the time I get to food, I am hungry. But mostly, first thing of the day, I have 2 pieces of toast (with jelly, or low fat peanut butter) and a cup of coffee. It suits me ok for 3-4 hours.

I am not trying to watch what I eat super close. I am simply trying to be more aware of what I am eating, and how much. That's as good as I can do for now. As long as I am not loading up on carbs (my weakness), eating fast foods, eating a lot of cheese/butter e.t.c., and trying to eat simpler and portion control a bit, I feel a lot better about myself. And you now what they say, the better you feel about yourself, the confidence comes through!

I am not confident at this point to lose weight. Why? Because I hate alot of excercising. I hate running. I like walking. I like lifting weights. I love stretching. At 165 pounds and 5'4, I'm certainly not slender but I'm not big and fat either. But, I do not want to gain a lot more weight in years to come. So my goal is to do 30-45 min of excercise around 4 times a week, (be it walking all at once OR in increments) cleaning house, running errands that involve physical activity, walking to places of entertainment, taking stairs e.t.c. If I can get myself moving a little more, that's good enough for me for right now. You don't have to tell me that none of this is beneficial, because i know, my mom tells me all the time, and it's discouraging. I'm just trying to do a bit better for myself in baby steps. ANd I've been doing OK, I walked a lot yesterday and today I spent an hour working on my car which involved some hard physical work.

My big downfall is red wine. I like to drink it. I'll have to limit myself to none or just one or two glasses with a meal a few times a week, and having vodka's or partying maybe 2 times a month. I like my booze, so we'll see. I'm having my 2nd glass of wine right now, and I drank a bit of vodka last night. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

I rarely drink soda and when I do, it's diet. I think diet soda is ok so long as it isn't too much, so I'm not worried about it. I drink a lot of water, mostly.

That's all for now.
Anti Signature.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 08:52:03 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Here's a link to a website I've been reading off and on the past few days.

Hussman Fitness

I neglected to put it in the Resolution thread because I didn't think there would be much interest in it. It is full of useful information, however.

Also, this is said in everything I've ever read about weight loss. A fitness program is not a temporary solution that will save you from being fat the rest of your life if you stick with it for a few months. Health and fitness is something you have to stick with every day of your life in order to maintain the condition you desire. Fad diets don't really work, so don't start them. The only solution is proper diet and exercise, as much as I hate saying that.

Any of you that have read previous threads where I mention weight loss, well, I give in most of the time because I'm a mentally weak bastard that never stays in a gym long enough to see results. I aim to do differently this time around, hoping to get down to about 180 pounds, dropping 45 pounds from my start of 225lbs. Here's hoping I hit my goal by, oh, say, June, maybe.
If my ears could talk, they would say, "Thank you, Zorak. You have enriched us both."
greenidentity

Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 09:01:47 PM)

I was very physically active for over a year, regularly. I have been physically active on and off (with 1-2 month breaks) for the last 8 years. I used to be very obsessive about what I ate. In those extreme days, I was still never below 132 pounds at my lightest (AFTER age 19, mind you) The good that came of that was that I am now very smart about food choices and excercise choices. Everyone is different, you cannot tell one person how to follow a certain routine if it isn't right for them.

The thing that surprised me was that when I was regularly active (4-5 times a week for around 45 minutes average, cardio and weights rotating) I lost about 4 pounds. In a year. BUT, I didn't gain any. That is my only goal at this point. But this last year, I dropped everything and sort of let myself go, and I gained 15 pounds. I want to get back to a place of productivity that makes ME feel good. I don't want to be skinny. I don't want to be able to "fit into that little dress again so eevryone can see how hot I am now". To me personally, all that is too superficial. I want to feel good about myself, fuck what anyone else thinks about it. Being chronically lazy and eating badly and drinking too much all the time does not make me feel good. So I'm just trying to cut those in half, at least.

I agree abotu lifestyle. It has to be a lifestyle change. I'm not going to tell myself "I'm never ever gonna have Taco Bell evar again omgz!!" because that's stupid. I tell myself "I am going to avoid bad shit foods for the most part and if I really really need to have something once in a great while, that's OK." Because that's realistic.

Also, I've been trying out sushi to see if I like it because I know it's super good for you. But I can't stand it. So no sushi will be in my diet from now on. I tried!
Anti Signature.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 09:29:05 PM)

I use this site to record my exercise. You can also use it for weight and what you're eating and all that crap, and it gives you graphs, and who doesn't love a helpful visual aid? big grin

I have done a pretty good job of maintaining my gym presence this school year, though things kind of went to hell in December with essays and exams and then the holidays, but I guess that happens. I am trying to get back on track now.
greenidentity

Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 09:34:24 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
I use this site to record my exercise. You can also use it for weight and what you're eating and all that crap, and it gives you graphs, and who doesn't love a helpful visual aid? big grin

I've used that on and off through the years, I really like it a lot, very helpful.
Anti Signature.
superstar satisfaction

pseudO Buddha

Ballkicks: (+21 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2005
Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 09:36:57 PM)

Quoted from greenidentity:

uhh I don't know how much you drink normally but a little bit, like a glass a day, helps your heart.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 10:00:41 PM)

I go up and down with the weight loss. Sort of according to what is injured on me this week or month. Ive weighted as little as 243 this summer and as much as 261 in November, right now im floating at 254.

My biggest problem first is work, working nights, and weird odd hours means eating poorly at times and drinking so much fucking coffee that im all out of wack.

Being hurt isn't helping me any. With good life time of hockey, university rugby, mountian biking and other outdoorsy things the sore muscles and joints are starting to take their toll on me and I will only be 25 next week. Ive come to accept im not as limber and loose as I once was and had to change all my work out plans to work around sore knees, and shoulders.

Working out isn't and easy thing it can be bloody frustrating. People approach it as something to get done with already, excercise should give you energy and should be something you want to do. When it becomes a pain in the arse you wont make any gains what so ever. Your body takes time to warm up to everything, it is possible to lose a pound a week, so 1 month 5 pounds. You have to give it time.

Once you get on track the weight will come off on its own. Weight yourself when you go to the gym, do it everyday right before you work out. You will slowly see results, dont do it afterwards the work out.

And kicking the junk food is easy, if you have access to some fruits and veggies go for those first, drink lots of water cause you will need to replentish your body.
www.thepartylive.com
greenidentity

Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 10:05:26 PM)

Quoted from satisfaction:

uhh I don't know how much you drink normally but a little bit, like a glass a day, helps your heart.

I normally go like:

Day 1: No alcohol at all.

Day 2: No alcohol

Day 3: like 5-10 alcoholic drinks (party time woooo)

Day4: No alcohol

Day 5: 1-5 alcoholic drinks

Day 6: 1-3 alcoholic drinks

Day 7: No alcohol, and if so just maybe 1 glass of wine or something small.

So, yea.
Anti Signature.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 11:19:20 PM)

One thing to remember is that you need to do 30-40 mins of exercise that leaves you breathless. That's what gets me these days as im pretty fit even tho my body isint nearly as toned as it used to be. That's one thing I need to get back into, doing exercise that fucks me totally. Stairs are really good for that, mostly you're on your own and after you've done 300 or so they get really gruelling.

Green tea in the morning is a good remedy for water retention, that's a problem that bothers me enormously. Also kelp tablets.
I brought springwater this time with the groceries..and i'll add a decent splash of pure fruit juice. I cant abide unflavoured water in large quantities.

I was watching a program on really overweight people starting a healthy living routine and it was recommended that the men undergo a colonic irrigation as they tended to rely on gristly meats and such that..eww, might be still in there clogging the digestive process. It was absolutely disgusting how much..well, shit..was sluced from that man's colon.

Hmm as a final note i'll jot down what supplements I take to assist my health and fitness regime.

Spirulina Plus (4 tablets per day)
Kelp (2 per day, sometimes more if im retaining water)
Omega Plus - A mixture of evening primrose, omega 3 and flaxseed oil (1 every second day)
Parsley Leaf - (3-4 per day only when im working)
Apple Cider Vingear - A big shot in 800ml of water when im working, I drink two units per night, the second is just plain water tho.

I find my system needs the additional assistance because I'm prone to depression that can lead to laziness and general lack of stamina. I fall flat with this regime a lot when im off work but do keep taking my spirulina and kelp tablets. I've found the Parsley is amazing too, if you dont get enough sleep while you're working taking these with breakfast really helps. I also take St John's Wort as a tea now and then. A really good anti-depressant. I spent a lot of time just taking one supplement for awhile and seeing if it actually helped me before I fell into this routine. I dont just take these things because I *think* they help me, I know they do. Each has a positive effect on my system.

With white spider stars coming down
And night blowing black from the ground
greenidentity

Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 11:35:49 PM)

I think it is very good to take different vitamins to cater to ones individual system. I am not very strict abotu many things, but my vitamins I am. I am a firm non-believer in multi vitamins. It's like Meow Mix for people. I concentrate on what vitamins I am lacking in my diet, and a few more for good measure. I take, 1 fiber pill a day, 1 B-Complex a day, which tends to have vitamin C as well, (from a whole foods store, so without all the additives and stuff, which is what you find in any old brand), 1 vitamin E (to keep my skin puuuurty), and 1 calcium. That's enough for me. I'm not much into herbal vitamins but I do drink a variety of different teas 4-5 times a week (green, oolong, and jasmine mostly) so I like to think that's a good treat that is also good for me as well.

All this stuff makes me feel 100% better, though I'm suer some of it is psychological (which is fine, IMO) I'm quite sure that much of it is physical, as well.
Anti Signature.
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 07:41:21 AM)

Holy fuck, I am sore. Damn weights last night tore the hell out of my arms, and I'm paying for it now. It feels a little...good, except I can't straigten my arms out completely.

Vitamins, yes. I'm not taking any yet. I'm starting a multi-vitamin on monday, the GNC MegaMan ones. I took them years ago when I was still in high school and actually did work out quite a bit, but that was several years ago. Since I've been off of them, I haven't taken any vitamins unless I was sick, and when I took the MegaMan pills years ago, I actually felt better after being on them for a few weeks, but I just neglected to get another bottle after moving two states and stopped working out.
If my ears could talk, they would say, "Thank you, Zorak. You have enriched us both."
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 09:21:14 AM)

its the goddamndest thing, i dont eat a lot but when i do its good food, just not good for me, and drink like a fish but i do a lot of walking around and the pounds just keep melting off.
Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

I can't use liquor as a crutch, a crutch helps you walk.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 09:37:06 AM)

u guys should try the amphetamin diet... workd for my couson.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 09:41:54 AM)

i hear it can really help you shed that troublesome teeth and hair weight. not to mention open sores and pockmarks are totally coming back into vouge in '06.
Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

I can't use liquor as a crutch, a crutch helps you walk.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 10:06:54 AM)

I'm trying to smoke more lately in hopes that it'll negate all the fresh air I got when I was young.
DeathofSmokey: You can't know anything in your heart - that's not what it's for. Knowing in your heart = hoping you're not wrong. I know in my heart that Angelina Jolie will show up and give me a blowjob on the count of three. One, two...
greenidentity

Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 10:46:04 AM)

Quoted from NNY:
i dont eat a lot

There you go!

Also, you walk everywhere and work as a cook. That's prolly why.

I can't imagine how skinny you are right now.
Anti Signature.
Sith
INTL Premium Member
Mango

Snake high score hog

Ballkicks: (+50 / -6)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 01:13:07 PM)

Thankfully I don't have a weight problem no matter how much I eat due to a fast metabolism.

I have taken up running to improve my general fitness and stamina, but unfortunately I don't have much time to do it in, except at weekends, because it's too dark by the time I get back home (and running around the countryside when it's pitch black and freezing ain't fun, nor particularly safe).
stumpy006

only a true pokemon master can evolve Mew to the third level

Ballkicks: (+19 / -8)
Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 02:48:13 PM)

Quoted from Sith:
Thankfully I don't have a weight problem no matter how much I eat due to a fast metabolism.

Same here. I'd be 400 pounds if it weren't for my metabolism.

I'd definately like to get into better shape, though. I play ice hockey with friends during the winter, volleyball and such during the summer. A workout plan or a playing steady sport is what im looking to get into ...
greenidentity

Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 03:24:53 PM)

Wait until you guys hit 21-25 years old. I could eat McDonalds all day (and did so too) when I was younger. Things don't stay the same, unfortunately.
Anti Signature.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 03:27:44 PM)

It's different for women tho, our bodies are made to store fat so it's easier to run down a fast metabolism. Guys find it much easier to lose weight, too...they're designed for strength and agility whereas we are brood mares.

I need to get over my facination for honey roasted cashew nuts.

With white spider stars coming down
And night blowing black from the ground
greenidentity

Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 03:29:31 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
It's different for women tho, our bodies are made to store fat so it's easier to run down a fast metabolism. Guys find it much easier to lose weight, too...they're designed for strength and agility whereas we are brood mares.

I need to get over my facination for honey roasted cashew nuts.

Yes but I imagine these guys are not 18 yet, and granted guys do burn weight easier, theirs will still slow down a bit with age.

Cashews are good. There's certainly worse you could eat.
Anti Signature.
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 03:39:35 PM)

groooan just got back from the gym, i want to drive my arms into a tub of ice cubes.....now for a few thousand stomach crunches.. zbig grinz

zippo-chan is my new samurai graduate......if anyone objects, speak now and forever rest in peace
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 04:00:58 PM)

I try to run everyday, but it ends up being more like once or twice a week.

I am on the cross country/track team at my school, so this is my offseason.

Normally I do 2-4 miles at ~7 minute miles.
stumpy006

only a true pokemon master can evolve Mew to the third level

Ballkicks: (+19 / -8)
Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 04:49:07 PM)

Yes but I imagine these guys are not 18 yet, and granted guys do burn weight easier, theirs will still slow down a bit with age.

I'll be 19 in a few months ... but I'm not sure if this'll apply to me. Seems most of the men in my family have a fast metabolism, even in their older age ... my grandpa and uncles on my mom's side are all slim, and don't you get your fat genes from your mom's side?

Or I might have just completely made that up ...
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 01-05-06 06:09:56 PM)

Quoted from stumpy006:

I'll be 19 in a few months ... but I'm not sure if this'll apply to me. Seems most of the men in my family have a fast metabolism, even in their older age ... my grandpa and uncles on my mom's side are all slim, and don't you get your fat genes from your mom's side?

Or I might have just completely made that up ...

I doubt that you get fat genes from the mother's side, because that entire side of my family is skinny as twigs. My father's side, however, that's a different story. I think it is actually a prerequisite to be fat, in order to be a part of my family. My father and grandfather both tip scales over the 320 pound mark, and my uncles are both at least 230 pounds.

On that note, I'm fucking exhausted. Found out today that I have to go in for a visit to a physician. My company is being gay about my newfound desire to lose weight, and there are a lot of hoops I have to jump through in order to actually be approved to use the gym during work hours while on the fat boy program. Spent another 1.25 hours in the gym tonight, as well. Damn calves are killing me, and I've got another 4 mile run tomorrow.

Also, damn you Dante and your 7 minute miles. I'm lucky to roll in around 8:30 for the first mile, and it's all down hill from there. That's damn good though, that you can hold that pace for 4 miles.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6462 | Total Posts: 59 ]