Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Non-moronic Metal > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3980 | Total Posts: 29 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
(Originally posted on: 01-01-06 09:36:04 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I like metal music. However, most metal music is brick stupid. This is a list put together a list of intelligent metal music for people who are not familiar with the genre, so they aren't left thinking the entire group is as dumb as, say, Pantera.

1. Slayer - South of Heaven: one of the first truly apocalyptic works of music to emerge from America, this album explores the ways and means of our eventual collapse.

2. Prong - Beg to Differ: a strong statement of social independence, BTD is an album about a lack of standards compliance with a system that has lost its own authenticity.

3. Voivod - Dimension Hatross: progressive speed metal with a futuristic and cyberpunk touch, Voivod makes an album entirely from raw creativity, fusing a new style of dissonant chording, offtime lead rhythm playing, and bizarre song structures.

4. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick: this album is so subtly musical that often it takes several listens to realize where its sleight of hand technicality manifests itself, but what is most impressive is that it does so without losing intensity at all.

5. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha: sounding like a demon emerging from hell, this visceral masterpiece of onslaught nevertheless features classically-inspired song structures and eternally monumental riffing.

6. Demilich - Nespithe: described by many as the weirdest metal album ever, this jazzy uptemp CD features a cryptogram of lyrics, left field melanges of themes expressed in riff, and some of the most unique and soulful soloing in popular music.

7. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss: a fusion of ambient music and ultra-simple metal, this album evokes the spirit of dark woods, predators and warriors, and the values of an ancient era.

8. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse: the word "majestic" begins to describe this masterpiece, in which an interleaving of keyboards and soaring guitars produces cavalcades of noise harmonized into melody.

9. Gorgoroth - Antichrist: done in a satire of 1920s cinema, "Antichrist" mocks all of our fears of evil in intricately compact melodic constructions.

10. Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata: wondering about the links between strength of will, DNA, and kabbalistic ritual? A fusion of aggressive metal with contemplative romantic wanderings, Averse Sefira render into melody an introspective art.

I suggest all member of this forum to attain at least 3 of these albums, and if you wish I can make them available if you feel the desire.
www.anus.com[/whisper]
www.nazi.org[/whisper]
[whisper]www.overthrow.com

[whisper]NO MOSH NO CORE NO TRENDS NO FUN
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 1 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-01-06 11:50:31 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Quoted from Bon:
I like metal music. However, most metal music is brick stupid. This is a list put together a list of intelligent metal music for people who are not familiar with the genre, so they aren't left thinking the entire group is as dumb as, say, Pantera.

1. Slayer - South of Heaven: one of the first truly apocalyptic works of music to emerge from America, this album explores the ways and means of our eventual collapse.

2. Prong - Beg to Differ: a strong statement of social independence, BTD is an album about a lack of standards compliance with a system that has lost its own authenticity.

3. Voivod - Dimension Hatross: progressive speed metal with a futuristic and cyberpunk touch, Voivod makes an album entirely from raw creativity, fusing a new style of dissonant chording, offtime lead rhythm playing, and bizarre song structures.

4. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick: this album is so subtly musical that often it takes several listens to realize where its sleight of hand technicality manifests itself, but what is most impressive is that it does so without losing intensity at all.

5. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha: sounding like a demon emerging from hell, this visceral masterpiece of onslaught nevertheless features classically-inspired song structures and eternally monumental riffing.

6. Demilich - Nespithe: described by many as the weirdest metal album ever, this jazzy uptemp CD features a cryptogram of lyrics, left field melanges of themes expressed in riff, and some of the most unique and soulful soloing in popular music.

7. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss: a fusion of ambient music and ultra-simple metal, this album evokes the spirit of dark woods, predators and warriors, and the values of an ancient era.

8. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse: the word "majestic" begins to describe this masterpiece, in which an interleaving of keyboards and soaring guitars produces cavalcades of noise harmonized into melody.

9. Gorgoroth - Antichrist: done in a satire of 1920s cinema, "Antichrist" mocks all of our fears of evil in intricately compact melodic constructions.

10. Averse Sefira - Tetragrammatical Astygmata: wondering about the links between strength of will, DNA, and kabbalistic ritual? A fusion of aggressive metal with contemplative romantic wanderings, Averse Sefira render into melody an introspective art.

I suggest all member of this forum to attain at least 3 of these albums, and if you wish I can make them available if you feel the desire.

You lost major credibility in my eyes with the Pantera comment. Granted, early Pantera is fucking terrible, but if you don't enjoy Far Beyond Driven you can't be a serious metalhead.

I don't know though, the albums you listed are all really good though. You should give that album a few listens all the way through. Becoming makes me want to punch holes in my walls.
Rather than filling it overfull, its better to stop in time.
Sharpen the blade to a point, but the edge won’t last forever.
Gold and jade may fill the house, but no one can retain them for eternity.
Boasting of wealth and virtue, brings trouble on oneself.
Reticence when the job is done, is the Way of heaven.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 12:09:11 PM)

Pantera is a joke.

Good list, Bon. I think that Isis' Panopticon deserves a spot on there (actually I think that the list would be more suited to a list of artists rather than albums, but I understand the need to highlight important albums). It does seem that the albums you listed seem to be all relatively less recent than Panopticon (though I am only familiar with about half of them), so I can understand its omission.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 3 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 02:49:28 PM)

Yes, Slayer is not moronic at all. Have you been reading anus.com? lol @ duck hunt
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 4 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 04:31:52 PM)

I have gotten into so many debates here about the quality of metal. I am done really. I like what I like, and have fun with whatever floats your boat.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 5 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 05:24:15 PM)

Quoted from Nickolati:
I have gotten into so many debates here about the quality of metal. I am done really. I like what I like, and have fun with whatever floats your boat.

I am just saying, you can't really accuse a lot of metal of being moronic then go listing fucking slayer as some smart metal music. It's dumb, stupid, fun thrash, and nothing more!
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 6 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 07:37:14 PM)

Basically, the law in the 'Net Metal scene: if you listen to Metal and use capitals and/or accurate grammar, you love making lists. To the point that every list you could possibly think of has already been listed.
I hate penis .gifs.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 7 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 09:44:49 PM)

Quote:
I am just saying, you can't really accuse a lot of metal of being moronic then go listing fucking slayer as some smart metal music. It's dumb, stupid, fun thrash, and nothing more!

Just because 3/4 of the members are idiots, doesn't mean the music you make isn't intelligently composed (Hanneman is the real brains of the operation), not to mention original.

Quote:
Basically, the law in the 'Net Metal scene: if you listen to Metal and use capitals and/or accurate grammar, you love making lists. To the point that every list you could possibly think of has already been listed.

It also seems the written rule in the message board scene is that internet hipsters only have the ability to poorly mock topics of worth while while contributing nothing.
www.anus.com[/whisper]
www.nazi.org[/whisper]

This reply was last edited on 01-02-06 11:10:01 PM by Bon.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 8 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 10:00:27 PM)

I've only heard the Slayer album and the Emperor album. I like the Emperor album but I don't really like the Slayer one. I'll try to check the others out. The Demilich one sounds interesting so I'll try to track that one down first. Thanks for the list, Bon.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 9 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 11:14:09 PM)

You can download all of Demilich's works via their official website (What a bunch of swell guys): http://www.anentity.com/demilich/download.php
www.anus.com[/whisper]
www.nazi.org[/whisper]

the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Reply 10 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-02-06 11:33:40 PM)

Hey Bon, you and I should make out some time.
I hate penis .gifs.
This reply was last edited on 01-04-06 01:19:05 PM by emtilt.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 11 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-04-06 10:01:12 PM)

I do agree with that list, although I'd probably add many others.

I have little interest in metal messageboards nor metal discussions about bands, despite being heavily into the metal genre. I suppose it's nothing new, as I find discussing music alien to me.
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

Reply 12 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-06-06 12:13:24 PM)

Quoted from Tazzo:
Quoted from Nickolati:

That was more directed at the Pantera comment than what you said. I didn't disagree with anus.com.
artzilla
Firefox remembers my PASSWORD

More like Grandpa AWESOME

Ballkicks: (+95 / -25)
Reg. Date: Dec 2005
Reply 13 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-10-06 01:58:09 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
You can download all of Demilich's works via their official website (What a bunch of swell guys): http://www.anentity.com/demilich/download.php

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the whole list to my pc. Great stuff, by the way. One thing troubles me about lists of Metal Bands... why do I never see Megadeth on anyones list? Dave Mustaine's music is definately "not" stupid. In some songs actually thought provoking...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man...
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 14 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-10-06 03:18:47 PM)

Quote:
hanks for the link. I downloaded the whole list to my pc. Great stuff, by the way. One thing troubles me about lists of Metal Bands... why do I never see Megadeth on anyones list? Dave Mustaine's music is definately "not" stupid. In some songs actually thought provoking...

It's because he is an idiot. Not to mention he's a born again christian.

If you want some reasoning, I'll post some lyrics from Megadeths latest album:

Quote:
Tears In A Vial
This may seem all too confusing.
How I could walk away from something so rare.
But you see, it all got too demanding, yeah.
And I just didn't care.
I just didn't care if I cared.
If I cared.
Lately I've been left wanting
But not wanting you.
Attraction that once was
is no longer there.
And it sucks to be taken for granted.
When the vail is drawn and there's only air.

I had to walk away.
Give up something I loved.
For what I loved even more.
And save my tears for you.

everything has lost it's meaning
I had to let it go.
To find myself, myself
and start something new. Brand new.
Forced to look deep in the mirror
and face who I really am.
Now it's just me
Cuz I can't afford you.

I had to walk away.
Give up something I loved
And save my tears for you.
I gave up something I loved.
And I saved my tears for you
In a vial.
And I walked away.

You are so beautiful to look upon.
I can see the light in your smile.
Your eyes were the windows into your soul.
Your body was heavenly just like the sky.

Until all your good looks betrayed you
Which aint much.
Counting on your
count of the smiles all too long.
Your eyes are windy windows broken.
The body may be here but the soul is gone.
I saved my tears for you in a vial.
From every wicked thing I hear
that you said.
A deceptive way burried in your love.
So many tears in a vial now that you're gone.
And now that you're dead.

How very 'thought provoking'.
This reply was last edited on 01-10-06 09:45:10 PM by Bon.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 15 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-11-06 12:00:16 AM)

I'll never, for the life of me, understand why people get all up at arms about what other people listen to. Passing judgement on someone due to their musical taste is like thinking someone's a moron for liking macaroni and cheese. Oh well.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 16 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-11-06 04:34:34 AM)

Which of those bands are death/black/gore/doom etc? I need to know so I can not check them out big grin

Seriously though, is the point of that list to point out bands with clever music, lyrics, or both?
"If one wants to truly own, one must own in all games" - Pure Pwnage
artzilla

Reply 17 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-11-06 08:08:57 AM)

Well, That particular song by Mustaine certainly does not show his true talent. But I did say, "Some of his songs" There are others that I considered thought provoking. Examples would be "Foreclosure of a dream" "Symphony of Destruction" only to name a few. Did he really become a "Born again Christian?" I had no idea....
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man...
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Reply 18 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-12-06 01:58:24 AM)

Megadeth are a good band. Their discography is solid with some truly great albums. The lyrics are hilarious, the videoclips are hilarious, the music is for the most part good...what's not to like there? I'll admit I can't listen to them all the time, but they're a far step above Metallica, in my opinion.
I hate penis .gifs.
artzilla

Reply 19 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-12-06 04:18:16 PM)

Maybe Metallica should have thought twice before ditching Dave Mustaine.....
There's no future in the past
frosty
This ban belongs to frosty now

I want Frosty to take my anal virginity!!1

Ballkicks: (+68 / -9)
Reg. Date: Aug 2005
Reply 20 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-12-06 07:28:04 PM)

I'm not a hugemetal head anymore, and I know it's technically grindcore, but I'd nominate Napalm Death for this category as well - there's at least some kind of heart-felt politcal agenda going on there, whether you agree with it or not, and like all extreme noise it demands an incredible effort to actually play which is well out of proportion to the number of people it actually makes happy.

[edit]

Also, I've always agreed with the point of view expressed by someone above that Slayer are kind of retarded. Don't get me wrong, I like them - Reign in Blood is one of the few metal albums I still regularly listen to, but I've never had them down as particularly intelligent (if anything, faintly unsavoury), except as talented musicians.

If this is totally misguided on my part, then I'd be genuinely interested to know why.
Congratulations! You've just been tuned in by the Frosty Service Crew, INTL's no.1 casual firm...
This reply was last edited on 01-12-06 07:56:27 PM by frosty.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 21 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-13-06 07:38:53 AM)

Quote:
Which of those bands are death/black/gore/doom etc? I need to know so I can not check them out

Seriously though, is the point of that list to point out bands with clever music, lyrics, or both?

1. Speed Metal 2. Speed Metal 3. 'Progressive' 4. Death. 5. Death 6. 'Technical' Death 7. Black 8. Black 9. Black 10. Black. Gore metal and Doom metal aren't really valid genres in my opinion.

The point of this list is to show that metal isn't simply music for the sake of looking tough, that metal is more than the whole beer and pentagrams image everyone is used to, that metal is a valid artform beyond the commercialized mainstream part of it.

Quote:
Did he really become a "Born again Christian?" I had no idea....

I don't remember exactly, I think it was when Megadeth broke up, or when they reformed.

While Megadeth are technically a very good band, their music does not do much for me, I'd rather have a more original sounding Kreator or Sodom any day.

Quote:
I'm not a hugemetal head anymore, and I know it's technically grindcore, but I'd nominate Napalm Death for this category as well - there's at least some kind of heart-felt politcal agenda going on there, whether you agree with it or not, and like all extreme noise it demands an incredible effort to actually play which is well out of proportion to the number of people it actually makes happy.

While Napalm Death did put out two extremely good albums (their first two), they are Grindcore, which is technically punk music. As for Napalm Death's later stuff, little praise can be given. As far as I'm concerned, anything Barney Greenway touchs is garbage.

Quote:

Also, I've always agreed with the point of view expressed by someone above that Slayer are kind of retarded. Don't get me wrong, I like them - Reign in Blood is one of the few metal albums I still regularly listen to, but I've never had them down as particularly intelligent (if anything, faintly unsavoury), except as talented musicians.

If this is totally misguided on my part, then I'd be genuinely interested to know why.

It's simple: although their lyrics may be dumb at times, they are the original 'extreme' metal band, and one of the first to truly synthesize punk and heavy metal. Although they slowly did become more moronic after Seasons in the Abyss, their riff composition is unrivaled.
Bleach your mind of illusion.
Then think about the future.

“Was der Tod der Elf einmal bedeuten wird, vermögen heute nur wenige zu ahnen — noch weniger kann ich darüber schreiben. Wir stehen mitten in einer grossen Zeitenwende. Was wir alle durchmachen sind ihre Geburtswehen. Alles scheint negativ — und einmal wird dann doch Neues and Grosses geboren werden....”

RUDOLF HESS
frosty
This ban belongs to frosty now

I want Frosty to take my anal virginity!!1

Ballkicks: (+68 / -9)
Reg. Date: Aug 2005
Reply 22 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-13-06 08:45:59 AM)

So we're meauring intelligence in terms of musical ability and innovation?

In that case there's no doubt Slayer have to in there, I suppose. I glad to see you agree their lyrics are a lot dumber than the music they're against.

Ever tried to play any Slayer yourself? I was never a particularly committed student of the guitar, but Slayer's riffs were always harder to play than most, although I used to be able to do Raining Blood to a half decent standard.
Congratulations! You've just been tuned in by the Frosty Service Crew, INTL's no.1 casual firm...
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 23 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-14-06 06:25:33 PM)

Nice list bon, I've been sampling them. I like most of them but not Demilich so much. Thanks for this.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 24 of 29 (Originally posted on: 01-15-06 04:14:59 AM)

Why did you list so many death and black bands, are you a huge fan?
"If one wants to truly own, one must own in all games" - Pure Pwnage
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3980 | Total Posts: 29 ]