Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Kong? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4447 | Total Posts: 35 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
(Originally posted on: 12-15-05 09:56:24 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Has anyone seen this yet? I thought it looked alright, but would probably be a big Van Helsing (huge let-down). But after seeing lots of trailers/commercials, I really think it'll be pretty good. I guess I'm setting myself up for the VH. My friend just saw it and said it sucked and I shouldn't even see it for free. Claimed it was too unrealistic. Not in the sense of a giant monkey and shit, but some of the action scenes were absurd. So, has anyone seen this, and is it any good?
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 1 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-15-05 11:02:32 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought it was outstanding. You probably should see one or both of the original movies to appreciate it, mostly because almost all of the acting in this one is done in an almost cheesey early-1900's manner that you see in old black and white movies; now if that was done on purpose or not is beyond me, but regardless, it adds to the effect.

I guess the big thing that I liked about this one is that Jackson completely removed the icky factor of the giant monkey in love with the hot girl. It's more of a big kid with his love for his all-time favorite toy human.

As downsides go, you don't see Kong himself until like an hour into the movie, so there's alot of buildup if you're into that. There are also alot of annoying "drunk camera shots", basically where they put the camera into slow-motion and make it hazy and "drunk" looking to dramatize a relatively simple scene, like when they "drunk-up" Brody's fingers when he types Skull Island into a typewriter and it takes a really long time because of it.

And speaking of long scenes, pretty much every scene where Watts stares into Kong's eyes lasts about 5 minutes too long.

I'm not sure how he thought the action scenes were absurd, other than how a misfit bunch of sailors and movie crew seem to have absolutely perfect aim with a machine gun. But Kong fighting various giant beasts,  like the 3 T-Rexes  was really awesome.

I highly recommend seeing it in the threaters if at all so you can get the whole big screen experience since Jackson really seems to get off on wide-angle artsy shots that are only really appreciable on a big screen.

It definately was not a Van Helsing experience to me, mainly because VH neither showed nor touched any emotion. When Kong dies at the end, it's actually pretty fucking sad even though he's a big computer-rendered monkey.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Because when insanity takes it's toll, I intend to have exact change."
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 2 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 08:06:35 AM)

He dies? UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1

I've never really seen much of King Kong. I just knew he was a giant monkey.I guess it's way before my time, but it seems good and has a fair amount of hype behind it so i'll probaly go along and see it.
You are just jealous because you don't have the poke'mon theme song on your mp3 player!

J monkey <3
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 3 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 08:33:39 AM)

I went to the world premier which lasted till 3 in the morning here

and i thought it was a really good movie overall, i can defieantly recomend it

except the lame introduction for the first 30 minutes...
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 4 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 01:22:56 PM)

I thought it was incredibly good. I don't know what you're talking about concerning too many slow-motion "drunk" shots. I only remember the one while typing. Definitely one I'm going to procure for myself, although seeing it in theaters will definitely add to it, with the widescreen sound effects. I thought it was prettier and had better special effects than any movie I can think of off the top of my head. I want to see it again just for the "wrestling match." I even got a little sad at the end. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[20:48] rchif0: big grin
[20:48] theredchimp: i feel the love
[20:51] rchif0: you ought to. since i poke you in the forehead with it often.
[20:51] theredchimp: ...
[20:51] theredchimp: that's a penis reference, huh?
[20:52] rchif0: yes.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 02:01:35 PM)

Yeah, it was really cool. The drunk camera shots were annoying, but the rest of it was cool.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 6 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:27:30 PM)

Quoted from neon:

It sinks?!!

It hasnt opened very well compared to Jackson's LOTR films but absolutely everyone i've spoken to who has seen it loved it. I just hope that he hasnt become a meglomaniac and has given the film a fatal flaw by taking too fucking long and spending too much time with subplots because he looooves Kong oh so much.

You'd better watch out; you better go hide!
And Elder Sign's needed for this Yuletide
Great Old Ones are comin to town.

They're making a fist and shaking it twice.
They're going to hit you, naughty or nice!
Great Old Ones are coming to town.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 7 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:36:34 PM)

Quoted from neon:

I've never really seen much of King Kong. I just knew he was a giant monkey.I guess it's way before my time, but it seems good and has a fair amount of hype behind it so i'll probaly go along and see it.

People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are, mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naïve, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 8 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:37:16 PM)

I bet it's really good, but I'm going to skip ever seeing it, because if eveyone else thinks it's great, then I don't need to see it.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 9 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:51:34 PM)

Quoted from Mr Pixies:
I bet it's really good, but I'm going to skip ever seeing it, because if eveyone else thinks it's great, then I don't need to see it.

...Are you being serious? You're a weird guy, Pixies.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Reply 10 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:53:55 PM)

That's not really weird, it's art snobbery.

IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 11 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 03:57:36 PM)

I think that no matter what type of film you prefer overall, there's something for you in this: CGI eye candy, action, love, some sort of philosophical meaning, something artsy, a little bit of comedy. Not much in the way of sex you know, but now and then you see some nipping.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
[20:48] rchif0: big grin
[20:48] theredchimp: i feel the love
[20:51] rchif0: you ought to. since i poke you in the forehead with it often.
[20:51] theredchimp: ...
[20:51] theredchimp: that's a penis reference, huh?
[20:52] rchif0: yes.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reply 12 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 05:34:01 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
That's not really weird, it's art snobbery.

no, that would be me saying that it must not be good if everyone likes it, right? Or maybe it's the same.....

Quote:
I think that no matter what type of film you prefer overall, there's something for you in this: CGI eye candy, action, love, some sort of philosophical meaning, something artsy, a little bit of comedy. Not much in the way of sex you know, but now and then you see some nipping.

Now I really don't want to see it!
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 13 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 06:35:50 PM)

Quoted from Chimp:
Quoted from neon:

I was actually going to post that, but I was too lazy to download/upload it.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Because when insanity takes it's toll, I intend to have exact change."
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 14 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-16-05 06:47:48 PM)

It's a cute but very old joke.

Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 15 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-17-05 02:40:01 AM)

Quoted from Snowy:
It's a cute but very old joke.

Kind of like some posters we all know.
You think I like you.
But I don't like you.
I hate your guts, I hate your guts.
neon

is going to post her bus stop here tomorrow, and we will love it.

Ballkicks: (+210 / -43)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 16 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-17-05 05:54:02 AM)

I said I know almost nothing about it apart from he's a monkey. lol am i rite??? all ur base r belong 2 us
You are just jealous because you don't have the poke'mon theme song on your mp3 player!

J monkey <3
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-17-05 06:48:52 AM)

Bombing bigtime at the box office....unless there's a slow burn surge like there was for Titanic i'd say that Peter Jackson's days of getting whatever he wants are fucked. 200 million bucks and it hasnt even made 20 million for the opening weekend I think. In comparison, Narnia made 70 million.

Also: Ryan you little shit.

Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 18 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-17-05 09:18:53 AM)

That's sad because I thought it was an excellent film. People need to develop an attention span and go see it. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 19 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-18-05 03:57:11 AM)

King Kong doesn't actually look very good, but it does look entertaining. Kind of like LoTR.

I would like to see it, but I find it hard to slot movies in these days. I'm too much of a home-time-hog. Work then home. No time for cinemas except for rare occasions. I think my strike rate this year has been...two movies in twelve months.
Website Link 1.
Website Link 2.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 20 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-19-05 11:15:41 PM)

The movie just drug on and on and on and on. If it were a bit shorter, it would have been much better.
People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are, mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naïve, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 21 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-21-05 06:50:06 AM)

Quoted from neon:

It's way before my time too, but I managed to catch it because *gasp* movies don't dissapear! You're just a teenager that doesn't appreciate classic films because technology has corrupted you. I'm sure A&E is playing the old Kong like crazy right about now. By the way for those that think this movie is slow (it's not) you must have HATED the first.

Leaving special effects aside - this movie is better than the original - and we'll just pretend that 1972 movie never happened. The characters are better. Ann is better because of her relationship with Kong - as I recall in the first movie all the bitch really did was scream and try to get away - while the audience members felt for Kong...nobody else really did. But, even though movie buffs might not have responded well to it...

I think "It was beauty killed the beast" shouldn't have been said this time around. First of all - it wasn't beauty...it was airplanes...and if we need to trace it back...it was you. You killed him. You took these people to the Island to shoot a movie, you got the idea to capture Kong, you brought him to New York, they killed him because of all the things you did. The line works better in the first film for the same reason this movie is better than the first though - Beauty didn't really care for the beast in the first, so as a man in love obsessively chases a disinterested girl - things didn't work out too well for Kong. But even then - Denim killed the beast. Because he's a dick. I mean seriously after all the shit that happened - he's trying to blame it on the girl! What a dick!

I actually didn't feel that the movie drug on - even though it obviously did at 3 + hours...because when Kong showed up - it pretty much kicked ass all the way through. I didn't notice 3 hours went by until I stood up and said "Holy shit I've been sitting down for 3 hours and I have to pee and my back hurts."
DeathofSmokey: You can't know anything in your heart - that's not what it's for. Knowing in your heart = hoping you're not wrong. I know in my heart that Angelina Jolie will show up and give me a blowjob on the count of three. One, two...
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 22 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-23-05 11:50:35 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
I think "It was beauty killed the beast" shouldn't have been said this time around. First of all - it wasn't beauty...it was airplanes...and if we need to trace it back...it was you. You killed him. You took these people to the Island to shoot a movie, you got the idea to capture Kong, you brought him to New York, they killed him because of all the things you did. The line works better in the first film for the same reason this movie is better than the first though - Beauty didn't really care for the beast in the first, so as a man in love obsessively chases a disinterested girl - things didn't work out too well for Kong. But even then - Denim killed the beast. Because he's a dick. I mean seriously after all the shit that happened - he's trying to blame it on the girl! What a dick!

Maybe the point was to show that, even after all the horrible things that resulted from Denham's actions, none of it made him understand that what he did was wrong. I mean, the character's persistent quality appears to be spouting bullshit and dicking people over for his own benefit. Denham just doesn't get it that he destroyed something beautiful - he'd probably do it again if he found another island with another giant ape on it the very next day, just the way he  kept on trying to shoot his movie even after it was getting his crew killed.  So yeah, he's most definitely a dick.

I was unintentionally amused by a bit of movie logic in the sequences where Anne/her rescuers are  being chased by carnivores.  Did anybody else notice that  these dinos would always drop what they were doing to chase the humans, even if they were already in pursuit/posession of a bigger kill? I mean, the allosauruses had brontos-a-plenty to choose from, and the first T-Rex to chase Anne had a whole giant iguana-thing all to himself! Abandoning that to chase after a human is kind of like jumping up in the middle of a big steak dinner to run after a guy handing out free slim jims! 

Anyway, snarky comment aside, I like this movie a lot. I appreciate the way more advanced movie technology makes it easier for Kong to emote and be emoted to - something that never quite worked with the stop-motion puppets. Arguably, the message of the movie came across even stronger this time as a result. And it definitely wasn't slow, although it was indeed long.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 23 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-24-05 12:23:00 PM)

Quoted from neon:

Oh come on now the movie is almost 100 years old, you cannot say you didnt know Kong would die. Heres a trailer also, Jesus dies in the passion.

Im going to see this Christmas Day and so far everyone has mixed reviews but Ebert gives it a thumbs up so im going with old reliable on this.
www.thepartylive.com
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 24 of 35 (Originally posted on: 12-26-05 01:06:58 AM)

It was all right. Some of the action scenes were excellent and the whole movie had a dramatic showmanship that I enjoyed, but I got so sick of watching Kong and Naomi Watts stare at each other for what felt like hours. Also, it could have been significantly shorter. While the dinosaur stampede and the fight with the dinosaurs were excellent, the movie did not need to be three hours long.

What the hell did he leave on the cutting room floor?
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4447 | Total Posts: 35 ]