Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > 11 year old girl hangs herself > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6140 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 10-08-05 04:31:50 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

This is probably the saddest thing I've ever read on the Internet MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Quote:
WINNIPEG -- For 11-year-old Kathleen Beardy it was all simply too much.

First she watched as her father Kelly was handcuffed and dragged from the family home by two police officers.

Then she was forced to endure the seemingly endless taunts of neighbourhood bullies in her tough Winnipeg district.

Finally, her delight when she bought a small puppy for $2 turned to dismay as bullies made off with her new pet, telling her they would sell it.

Sapped of the will to live, last Saturday evening Kathleen climbed onto a pile of gravel and, looping the puppy's leash around the low-lying bough of an elm tree, hanged herself.

At first, when her friends saw her, they thought she was fooling around. "Come down, the joke is over," one of them cried to her.

It was only as they came closer they realized what she had done and began to scream in terror. One of the neighbourhood toughs even tried, and failed, to untie her.

By the time her mother, Christina Beardy, arrived several minutes later, Kathleen was dead.

"The police were there," Ms. Beardy said. "They asked if I was family but I didn't know who they were talking about. When I realized it was Kathleen there I just starting shouting 'Oh please no!' "

At the very least the tragedy of Kathleen Beardy is a terrible insight into the brutality of life on the streets of Canada's inner cities.

According to local media reports, both her mother and father were remanded by police early last week, leaving Kathleen and four other siblings in the care of her pregnant sister Beverly, 17, for several days.

But what has made the case overtly political is that Kathleen's family said the girl had witnessed the allegedly brutal and unwarranted arrest of her father a week before her death, which sowed the seeds of her mental torment.

After the injuries, he complains of increasing headaches and pains in his legs. The skin is still missing from his knees and pictures held by his lawyer show abrasions to his upper body.

Meanwhile Ms. Beardy has spent the week struggling to arrange Kathleen's funeral. The cost of the service is a little more than $5,500 but she said so far she has only raised about $1,600.

"I asked provincial welfare for help but they said they only provide money for food and shelter, not for grieving," she said.

On Tuesday, Ms. Beardy took her children to dress Kathleen's body.

They tied a sash to her forehead, coloured her lips with gloss and pulled on her favourite dancing dress.

The family also made a collage of photographs of Kathleen's short life. One showed her standing next to a frozen Lake Winnipeg smiling. Another showed her at a bible school.

While searching for more photographs, Ms. Beardy came across Kathleen's status card.

"She was proud to be an Indian and very interested in our traditions," Ms. Beardy said. "She believed in both aboriginal culture and the Bible.

"She loved going to church."

In keeping with her Christian faith, Kathleen's body was laid out in an open white casket decorated with pink silk at the Aboriginal Funeral Chapel on Wednesday night.

Honouring aboriginal tradition, Ms. Beardy carefully cut long, plaited braids from her own head and those of her daughters and laid them in the coffin.

At the spot where Kathleen died, a shabby back alley between abandoned houses strewn with old bits of roofing, friends and neighbours set up a small shrine to mark her death.

The pile of gravel she used to kill herself was covered with teddy bears -- brown, white and pink -- and handwritten messages from well-wishers and classmates.

At the site, Winnipeggers of all ethnicities came to pay their respects.

A traditional aboriginal fire was lit under a thin plywood shelter to protect it from the first snowfall of the season. The bullies returned the puppy to the family.

Mary Sinclair, Kathleen's grandmother, had flown to Winnipeg from Victoria when she heard the news. She said: "We would never have thought it of Kathleen. She was always so good and so lively and she never seemed to have any problems. Maybe we just didn't know what was going on inside."

Source

Who the hell steals a puppy from an 11 year old anyway? Jerks UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 04:55:36 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I feel full of sorrow after reading that. Very sad, in my own way i'll pray for her and the family. And all of us, really. I hope some good comes from this tragedy, that the bullies who have returned the pup see what a waste this all was, of them and of her, and take responsibility for their actions and do no more harm to others.

Take your corporate-plutocratic Panopticon wet dream and shove it.
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 05:09:03 AM)

If i had enough of everything, i would go on a killing spree, not hang myself
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 05:26:59 AM)

I have never been to the point where suicide seems like a valid option. I have been depressed, but two things that happened close to me have always kept the option out of my head. 1. I had a cousin who tried to shoot herself in the head, but the bullet bounced around her head but didn't kill her. It made her retarded, but didn't kill her. 2. In high school a person I knew tried to commit suicide, by running the car in the garage. Unfortunately, something went wrong and while he did kill himself he also burned his house to the ground.

More recently when I was in Iraq this guy committed suicide, by shooting himself in the stomach. I'm assuming it was so he could have an open casket. He was in a communications shelter next to mine, and I heard the shot but only thought it was a mortar going off a long distance off. The next morning when they found him the doctors decided it probably took 5 hours for him to die. It's weird to think that I was talking to my mom on the phone when somebody was killing themself and suffering so close to where I was.

Personally I just think it's much better just to work your way through problems, and not give up.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.
This reply was last edited on 10-08-05 05:32:25 AM by mmac.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 05:39:36 AM)

Of course it's better to do that, but when you're 11 years old it's a bit much to ask that they stave off such emotional trauma on their own.

Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 06:49:21 AM)

Those boys should have been inside playing violent video games, not outside bullying little girls MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
bradism.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 09:32:25 AM)

Quoted from Baggy_Brad:
Those boys should have been inside playing violent video games, not outside bullying little girls MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
They were probably playing an unfinished version of Bully before stealing her puppy UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 10:30:35 AM)

Quote:
At the very least the tragedy of Kathleen Beardy is a terrible insight into the brutality of life on the streets of Canada's inner cities.

Sorry, I snickered a bit at this.

"Eh tough guy, gimmy your two-four, eh?"

"No nigga, what you gonna do aboooot it, eh?

what am i
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 11:02:14 AM)

you're heartless.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Because when insanity takes it's toll, I intend to have exact change."
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 11:20:22 AM)

Quoted from British Agent:
you're heartless.

emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 11:45:33 AM)

Bebop, that was excellent. I nearly spurt Mountain Dew from my nose laughing.

And the puppy part of that was really sad. I can't imagine being a little kid and having my little dog stolen.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 12:22:35 PM)

God, that's such a shame. I agree about the puppy thing, that's completely heartless. It's a shame, 11 is so much different than it used to be.  Not. 
<Zippo279> how to make a man your lover: the art of ass grabbing
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 08:12:48 PM)

Heard about this on SA, but didn't get a chance to read it. This is heartbreaking.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 08:26:21 PM)

At least the bullies gave the dog back i'm a serial-killer :)

Assholes 
Oh, I am going to go to a special hell...
- Malcolm Reynolds
Captain, Serenity.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 08:37:45 PM)

The article says she had friends, so I suspect the increasingly whining Western culture, and not necessarily the police and the bullies, has a lot to do with it.

I mean, it seems like she didn't have it that tough.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 09:16:07 PM)

She was an 11 year old child, I dont mean to be combative, Suk..but really, who are you to say she didnt have it 'that' tough. Obviously it was tough enough to cause her to hang herself. We have the grace of a decade or so to look at her actions and situation ( via the bare bones of one article ) and judge. Remember when you were 11 and the world still seemed mythological? There are thousands of permutations - what if she was especially fragile, gentle, what if she'd been witness to something horrible when she was younger, what if she'd lived in utter poverty all her life and had been picked on at school since she was 6? These are the last two events that tipped the scale, but I dare say there might be more to the story. I really feel anger, not at you or mmac, but at the idea that an 11 year old CHILD should have tried harder, been stronger. She was a baby.

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 09:28:44 PM)

While what you say is true, I think that 11-year-old children who think seriously about suicide is a relatively new phenomenon, and that its manifestations are manifold, not limited to suicide attempts.

Of course, we don't know the whole story, but I don't feel I was referring to this specific case only. We're witnessing an alarming increase of pointless emotionality.

The issue I was talking about is not why this child gave up, but rather why suicide was an option at all. In some ways children are stronger than we think.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 09:39:16 PM)

Pointless emotionality is why %99 of people kill themselves. I'd look to the society around the child ( or the person if we are widening the scope ) and discover why it failed to nurture sufficiently and fortify the child against the emotional ravages of such events. I'd say modern society itself has a lot of explaining to do, our removal from the land of soils and trees and transportation to concrete scapes and apartment complexes definitely rids us of a vital link with the grounding force of living within nature rather than living without.

It helps create parents who are so distracted by their lack of resources and own derth of sufficient nurturing that they do not pay enough attention to contributing to the healthy emotional wellbeing of their children on a consistent basis. We could extrapolate and say that this can result in children who are unable to be emotionally generous as they have not been 'fed' enough from the parent and environment and who might think stealing a little girl's pup is a simple amusement rather than something that might push her to hang herself.

IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 09:49:58 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
Pointless emotionality is why %99 of people kill themselves. I'd look to the society around the child ( or the person if we are widening the scope ) and discover why it failed to nurture sufficiently and fortify the child against the emotional ravages of such events. I'd say modern society itself has a lot of explaining to do, our removal from the land of soils and trees and transportation to concrete scapes and apartment complexes definitely rids us of a vital link with the grounding force of living within nature rather than living without.

It helps create parents who are so distracted by their lack of resources and own derth of sufficient nurturing that they do not pay enough attention to contributing to the healthy emotional wellbeing of their children on a consistent basis. We could extrapolate and say that this can result in children who are unable to be emotionally generous as they have not been 'fed' enough from the parent and environment and who might think stealing a little girl's pup is a simple amusement rather than something that might push her to hang herself.

Looking to the society around the child, especially at the parents and family, is absolutely a good start. That's where it starts with EVERYBODY. The family is the prime source of learning and psychological/emotional nurturing. However, a child growing up and never having seen a tree is just as capable as a hermit's child as being self-sufficient emotionally, barring any uncontrollable genetic dilemmas. Always look at the parents, or atleast the supporting cast at home.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 10:09:03 PM)

Being close to nature affords an ability to be self-sufficient as the earth can be farmed and the woods harvested, the trees become playthings and nurturing objects that can hold and hide. You learn truths about yourself when you break the ground with a tool and plant your own food. You have a sense of worth when what you *do* directly affects what you *get* ( the whole ''you reap what you sow'' maxim is very true on a fundamental level, dont forget! ). Psychology shouldnt shove aside the lessons being a part of nature can teach a young child, they certainly helped sustained me through a devestating childhood and where a parent might be lacking the child learns that there is more to the world than the interactions of people, we are part of a global organism and it can help sustain us.

This reply was last edited on 10-08-05 10:24:08 PM by Snowy.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 10:17:37 PM)

Whatever Gaia-esque sociology books you've been reading, they've definitely given you an interesting point of view.
Squareknight

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 10:18:10 PM)

Quote:
The article says she had friends, so I suspect the increasingly whining Western culture, and not necessarily the police and the bullies, has a lot to do with it.

"Friend" can easily just mean classmate, peer or neighbour in a news article.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 10:38:31 PM)

As a random fact, natives in Canada (at least in the west?) can be as discriminated against as much as black people in the united states.

Not so much, burning crosses on lawns, but as far as people in school making voices at you and imitating the "accent" or making fun of your lifestyle, telling you that you and your family drink lysol or listerine, telling you to fuck off and go to a powwow, scalping jokes, etc etc. There can be a pretty terrible stigma of native Canadians around here, unfortunately.
Squareknight

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 11:02:34 PM)

Here in the US we just killed most of them and stuffed the rest on reservations, so I dont know if your country has it worse for them, Dani.
IF0
Administrator

Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 10-08-05 11:05:24 PM)

One of my sociology professors worked for the Canadian government, assessing the situation with the natives there. It isn't any better here or there. They both got fucked.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6140 | Total Posts: 52 ]