Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > How hard is it to sell Cigarettes? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3276 | Total Posts: 50 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-13-05 06:23:17 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I've been up all night and I've thought of a plan. I want to know how well it would work, and what I would need to do, in order to make a sell cigarettes on my campus. So far the reasons I have for doing this are to make money, and give me something to do. I also figured it was a good idea because I could still probably charge less for 20 than what a pack costs. I could also get a variety of tobacco, including flavor, organic, menthol, etc. I've run some numbers and if it worked I'd make 100% profit. If it became a bigger thing I could get a bigger machine and by tubes by the case, to save even more money. Right now, I just want to know if this is a fesible idea, and if anyone has any suggestions to help me?

I'm sure this idea is probably illegal in many diffrent ways, so if anyone knows about that or how I could possible get around it, that would be much apperciated.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 06:38:00 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You need a pimp first. For protection.
bradism.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 2 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 06:53:20 AM)

from my understanding its an industry that you're lucky to break even on.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 3 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 07:02:23 AM)

I would think you could make a shitload of money selling cigarettes. Especially with the price hikes.
DeathofSmokey: You can't know anything in your heart - that's not what it's for. Knowing in your heart = hoping you're not wrong. I know in my heart that Angelina Jolie will show up and give me a blowjob on the count of three. One, two...
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 4 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 07:12:55 AM)

I figure I could come out doing alright. I figured that 200 tubes is at most $3 and enough tobacco to fill would be like $18 highest for what I was looking at. So if I sold them for 4 bucks a pack (20) I'd get $20 profit. I also think I might just do it as a side hobby. The flavor is better than manufactured, so I could get a few people and if I could move 200 a week then it'd be a profitable hobby, espcially when you consider how much money college students actually have and spend.

I really what really questions me about all this is, if it's cheaper and better, why not make your own?
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 5 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 07:29:44 AM)

Some smokers do not like rolled cigs and prefer the store bought. Good luck on selling them, we had price hikes in Nova Scotia and people kept on buying them without blinking.
www.thepartylive.com
bicentennialman

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reply 6 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 07:35:33 AM)

What about the taxes?
That's what really raise the prices.
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 7 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 08:01:02 AM)

Quoted from Mr Excitable:
Some smokers do not like rolled cigs and prefer the store bought. Good luck on selling them, we had price hikes in Nova Scotia and people kept on buying them without blinking.
I'm going to get an injector, I'm not going to roll them. So they'll have filters and paper just like store bought, only minus the brand name and lower levels of shitty tobacco and some chemicals.

I could probably get by marketing them as a healthier smoke. If it gets around to the FDA that I'm doing it, I'd be fucked either way.

Quote:
What about the taxes?
That's what really raise the prices.
I just looked into that and found I can produce them for the same cost the companies charge before taxes. Taxes double the cost of cigarettes in the state of Missouri.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 8 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 08:26:04 AM)

Oh you won't get any traffic without nicotene
DeathofSmokey: You can't know anything in your heart - that's not what it's for. Knowing in your heart = hoping you're not wrong. I know in my heart that Angelina Jolie will show up and give me a blowjob on the count of three. One, two...
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 9 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 08:26:45 AM)

You'll profit a bit if you're buying tobacco and rolling it of course, but it might not be a huge profit margin. Also though, if the age to buy smokes is 19 like it is here, then you'll get a lot of business from frosh / freshmen.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 10 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 08:29:35 AM)

But with gas prices the way they are cheap cigarettes would be real nice!
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 11 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 09:02:06 AM)

Quoted from Coca-Cola:
You'll profit a bit if you're buying tobacco and rolling it of course, but it might not be a huge profit margin. Also though, if the age to buy smokes is 19 like it is here, then you'll get a lot of business from frosh / freshmen.
It's only 18 here so most the people are good. However Smokey has a valid point.
Quoted from Smokey:
But with gas prices the way they are cheap cigarettes would be real nice!
Except that in the city most people could just walk, which brings me to the part of college students are lazy. So close smokes would be really nice.

Also if I decide to give them a name, I think I might call them 420's as that's my room number. But then I realized that might draw some attention. So my roommate suggested using the building code and calling them 242's. I also thought of 2420's but that's the same problem and it's too long. Any ideas?
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 12 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 09:27:33 AM)

Any cops here about this and you'd be arrested on the spot. Just a word of advice.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 13 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 09:32:53 AM)

Quoted from mmac:
Any cops here about this and you'd be arrested on the spot. Just a word of advice.

Uh, why?
Oh, I am going to go to a special hell...
- Malcolm Reynolds
Captain, Serenity.
nimo

lvl 16 wizard, yo

Ballkicks: (+321 / -17)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 14 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 09:37:02 AM)

My roommate rolls cigarettes with papers and filters that look just like normal cigarettes, but I hate them because no matter what tobacco he tries, or combines, or whatever, they never taste as good as store bought. He tried selling them, which in Chicago should have been fairly easy, but people would buy a pack and then go back to their regular smokes. It's a nice idea, but I can't really see it working because the quality is never going to be as good.
www.cincinnati.kicks-ass.net/nimo
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 15 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 09:58:36 AM)

Quoted from nimo:
My roommate rolls cigarettes with papers and filters that look just like normal cigarettes, but I hate them because no matter what tobacco he tries, or combines, or whatever, they never taste as good as store bought. He tried selling them, which in Chicago should have been fairly easy, but people would buy a pack and then go back to their regular smokes. It's a nice idea, but I can't really see it working because the quality is never going to be as good.
What if I use 100% tobacco? I'm not honestly trying to make major amounts of money. I'm just looking to see how it could go wrong if I try it.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 16 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 10:27:44 AM)

Like I said...a smoker isn't going to waste time on an nicoteinless cigarette.
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Reply 17 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 10:29:47 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
Oh you won't get any traffic without nicotene
It's in the tobacco. So it's there. Actually I think it might be in high amounts even... I'll have to check

EDIT: The scientific name for tobacco is Nicotiana tabacum. So logic dicatates the more tobacco, the more nicotine.

The chemicals I was talking about are like the 500+ listed here.http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sci_tech/features/health/tobaccotrial/inacigarette599.htm
However that's old information and with new laws the number has been bumped down to a tiny 464 additives. For example, CO2 is added to tobacco in the big companies, to make it swell like popcorn.
This reply was last edited on 09-13-05 10:38:56 AM by Amiodarone.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 18 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 11:09:37 AM)

I was under the impression that the ammount in brand cigarettes is much higher than store bought tobacco.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 19 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 11:38:02 AM)

Quoted from Chimp:
Quoted from mmac:

Uh, why?
Because the tobacco industry is eavily regulated by the federal government(for health, and taxation purposes.

Have you ever noticed the small tape of seals going across the bottom of a pack of cigarettes? That is the seal identifying them as having been taxed by the government.

That sort of fraud is actually investigated by low to mid level ATF agents.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Reply 20 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 01:25:41 PM)

The government and the Mafia are virtually the same thing
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 21 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 01:31:00 PM)

You'd make more selling heroin.

My brother's working at a convenience store right now, though, and the main attractions are ice cream and cigarettes. Mostly cigarettes, so if you set the prices right, you could make quite a profit.

Kids at my school sell tiny amounts of weed or even fake weed to stupid grade nines who want to fit in for $20 for a very, very small amounts.

They're making well over $100 in two days.
"I went in the Haunted House, and around the corner, Frankenstein was patiently waiting for me."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 22 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 01:58:18 PM)

Sell them at a High School and you'll easily make twice as much.
nimo

lvl 16 wizard, yo

Ballkicks: (+321 / -17)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 23 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 03:44:25 PM)

Quoted from Ileus:
Quoted from nimo:
What if I use 100% tobacco? I'm not honestly trying to make major amounts of money. I'm just looking to see how it could go wrong if I try it.

Yeah, the tobacco doesn't matter, I've had mass amounts of rolled cigarettes, and they all taste just like rolled cigarettes (which is very distantly related to the taste of store bought).
www.cincinnati.kicks-ass.net/nimo
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 24 of 50 (Originally posted on: 09-13-05 04:37:44 PM)

Cigarettes are bad for you and your lungs are now black. UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3276 | Total Posts: 50 ]