Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Is frontpage a possibility in the least? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2235 | Total Posts: 42 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
(Originally posted on: 09-01-05 03:18:10 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

(might be an ID thread)

I have always been in favour of INTL having a frontpage - but I was also around for the time it was tried, and didn't work.

I think it could be very popular, however. Even though the forum seems slow sometimes, I bet we could put together a good set of weekly pieces.

Granted, there may be 2-3 day pauses between articles or features, but it could keep interest long enough for those of us who don't check the site daily.

Some thoughts I'd had were:
An original INTL comic
Artists and authors might change, which means we could even have a variety of comics, or an entire comics section (may or may not include edited comics).

Sports Commentary
As little as sports are discussed on INTL, I'd enjoy reading a discussion on a highlighted NFL or NHL game of the week kind of thing, or a Sportsdesk style conversation between a couple of forummers, and maybe a special guest on the game of the week.

Travels in...
People take trips often enough, and photo-tour threads are fine, but they never generate a lot of responses (unless there's a forum meetup or something like that), so why not highlight the best photos and parts of the trip in an article (with thumbnails or linked images)? Even a trip around someone's town could be neat.

Art of the Week
The art of the day thread has gone over really well, so why not let a piece or a few get shown/talked about each week?

Again, I know it didn't work out last time, and costs are big, but I imagine that people around here are creative and imaginitive enough to come up with far better ideas than these, and make it a worthwile expense.

Thoughts?
"I went in the Haunted House, and around the corner, Frankenstein was patiently waiting for me."
"Last night I fell asleep, and when I woke up, my room was a black and white movie."

Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Ballkicks: (+1266 / -281)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 1 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 03:40:15 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

These suggestions come up all the time. In the end not enough people come forward to actually help out.

Suggestions are a dime a dozen but people willing to act out those suggestions aren't.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 2 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 03:42:00 PM)

It has failed at least twice before, there is no reason to think that it won't have the same problems this time. I'd say that it is probably not a possibility at all.
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 3 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 03:57:38 PM)

I don't think it'll happen, but if it did, I'd write for it as often as possible. It might not always be funny, but it would at least be new. I miss the frontpage MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Oh, I am going to go to a special hell...
- Malcolm Reynolds
Captain, Serenity.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 4 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 04:03:17 PM)

The problem is this: We could have twenty people post here and say they'd absolutely help with the frontpage. Once the frontpage actually goes up only 4 or 5 of those twenty would actually help. Not to rag on any of you, it's just the facts.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 5 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 04:04:46 PM)

Oh no, I understand. It was the same way last time too. I think the only way this could ever actually happen would be if we had a stockpile of articles ready to publish, so we'd have wiggle room if no one wrote for a few days.
Oh, I am going to go to a special hell...
- Malcolm Reynolds
Captain, Serenity.
flaming arrow
INTL Premium Member

old time judge suck cock

Reply 6 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 04:08:38 PM)

Quoted from Chimp:
Oh no, I understand. It was the same way last time too. I think the only way this could ever actually happen would be if we had a stockpile of articles ready to publish, so we'd have wiggle room if no one wrote for a few days.

That's actually a good idea. If we can get a stockpile of good content a frontpage might actually become a possibility.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 7 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 04:09:02 PM)

I wrote! A couple times. And Brads articles were great. I miss the front page.
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 8 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 05:03:53 PM)

*sports writer enthusiast*

Seriously though, I talk about sports anyways, so writing about 'em would be nothing for me.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 9 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 05:07:41 PM)

i like the comic idea
D
Administrator

i didn't have the strength to get it all the way off

Ballkicks: (+1950 / -91)
Reply 10 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 05:41:05 PM)

I wont lie, I probably wouldn't ever write, but I liked the "Travels In.." idea. That could be really cool. And like you said, it could be cool if it was just around people's down. Or people's college or other things could be really cool. And there could be like a directory of a bunch of different cities and towns and universities. I think I'd do that.
"They could have grown up to become Hitler....collectively." - Ztolk's creepy Flash man
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 11 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 07:19:12 PM)

I came in after the frontpage went extinct, but I'd definitely write for it. I've always been interested in seeing the frontpage return and thrive.
I will be your screech and crash if you will be my crutch and cast
Budzpip
Princess of your Mom
LBH was queer

Ballkicks: (+14 / -43)
Reg. Date: Oct 2002
Reply 12 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 07:46:39 PM)

Everyone could add their own part to the frontpage (ie. a quote or picture. It would be like a collage of some sort. *scratches brain* ...I dunno
Zu Lu Death Mask

SaladFingers: "I like to touch rusty spoons..."
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 13 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 08:40:56 PM)

Quoted from Budzpip:
Everyone could add their own part to the frontpage (ie. a quote or picture. It would be like a collage of some sort. *scratches brain* ...I dunno

That's a really kindergarten-teacher suggestion. And kind of sounds like it would be shit.

If we suggest people who are strong in certain parts, then maybe we could get stuff going. For example, for the cartoons, perhaps Izzy could do that. I think he comes around every once in awhile. Maybe he could do one sometimes.

For short flash films, Ztolk never fails. Brad is an obvious choice for a writer, but I think a lot of our regular members are articulate enough to write something worth reading.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 14 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 08:48:28 PM)

I'm willing to write some stuff similar to the 7 or 8 things I've done for the Bagook Frontpage...
<Angus> wooosh grand nubian
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 15 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 09:06:00 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
I'm willing to write some stuff similar to the 7 or 8 things I've done for the Bagook Frontpage...

i wanted to bring up the whole ninja vs. pirate issue actually
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 16 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 10:10:25 PM)

I am willing to volunteer my time / effort at this opportunity because no one can call me on it.

Just kidding. I actually am a decent writer and could probably pull off a pretty original daily/weekly column... though people on here don't tend to share my humour.

Or I could do Sports LOL IM SUCH A FAG!! I know them quite well.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 17 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-01-05 10:59:38 PM)

Quoted from STFU:
Quoted from Dante:

i wanted to bring up the whole ninja vs. pirate issue actually
DON'T FORGET THE KITTENS
<Angus> wooosh grand nubian
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 18 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 12:40:27 AM)

As, like, the only person who managed to maintain his weekly contibution to the frontpage in 2003 when we last had it, I'll just say that everyone else sucks.
bradism.
Inertia
FUCKEN HELLZ YEAH DAWG

Ballkicks: (+10 / -3)
Reg. Date: Sep 2005
Reply 19 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 01:45:02 AM)

Quoted from Flaming Arrow:
Suggestions are a dime a dozen but people willing to act out those suggestions aren't.

It's generally easier to conjure up a good idea than it is to make it work. Anyone can sit there and offer to write 50 articles a week, but when the pressure is on, they'll likely buckle under that pressure and/or the realization that there's nothing that hasn't been said already. Or maybe that's just how I operate. Fuck.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 20 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 02:36:27 AM)

I could write something about sports

How big must the articles be?

I know alot about Euro Football/NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 21 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 07:39:19 AM)

Well this probably has been suggested, but perhaps a 'Pictures of the week' type deal. Where as its like the photo gallery, but just for the front page and every week the past weeks entry are put into a slide show to be present on the front page.

Its way fucking easy to take pictures, while articles take up lots of time perfecting. Sure there would be a good bit of them in poor taste but at least we'd have a couple.

I mean with the hundreds of people we have here some of us have to takes pictures at some point.

You could even do this with adio, perhaps a 'voices of intl' embedded clip on the front page. Smokey would have a ball.
Panda Watch! The mood is tense; I have been on some serious, serious reports but nothing quite like this. I uh... Ching... King is inside right now. I tried to get an interview with him, but they said no, you can't do that he's a live bear, he will literally rip your face off.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 22 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 07:42:37 AM)

HELLO GENTLEMEN

I'm actually working on an 8-bit INTL game/comic (still undecided), which, with the help of better writers and co-artists, could easily fit the front page. If anyone's interested, I'll post some of the sketches I've made.
LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 23 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 08:15:57 AM)

Quoted from FA:
That's actually a good idea. If we can get a stockpile of good content a frontpage might actually become a possibility.

Maybe that could be implemented in some kind of 'audition' or interview as it were; for three weeks or so, you could have a number of forummers regularly contribute content to you, to get a feel on how they are with time limits and deadlines. Also you could hand-select people based on the quality of their writings, its originality, etc. This would serve a dual purpose of building up a stockpile of content.

After that, they could be on a 3/4 month 'probation' period, at the end of which, if they have regularly contributed, and done a good job, they can be made into regular writers/contributors. The incentive would probably drive people to hold their promises, and might also challenge people to contribute quality pieces.

Of course, it could subject to yours and the other administrator's discretion, so that if someone is obviously just making a deadline, there would be a warning/'firing' process involved. Maybe the lax nature of the last frontpage (although I enjoyed it immensely, just as many others have stated) is what ultimately contributed to its demise. As Brad said, only he and (I believe Sandamnit) were the only ones who were good with consistency.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 24 of 42 (Originally posted on: 09-02-05 08:52:46 AM)

well, since SA is officially out of order we have one less competeting website to worry about.
Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fool's gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proves to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

I can't use liquor as a crutch, a crutch helps you walk.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2235 | Total Posts: 42 ]