Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Do you ever call in sick just to get the day off from work? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3850 | Total Posts: 49 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Do you lie to get time off of work:
This poll has expired.
Yes, often 3 votes, 6.667%
Sometimes 15 votes, 33.333%
No 18 votes, 40%
I'm on pogey (unemployed option) 7 votes, 15.556%
Comedy Drahnier option 2 votes, 4.444%
Totals: 45 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
(Originally posted on: 08-17-05 01:43:12 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm not really that sick today, but I do feel like shit and I need a day to get stuff done so I called in sick. It's probably just a headcold though. Hey, it's not people like me that are the reason that they've tightened the rules, I'm just seeking revenge against all my co-workers who claim they have stress, anxiety, depression, and other cliché mental and physical illnesses yet come back the next day just fine, so I really don't feel bad, I'm only taking one day, and I don't at all feel like I'm cheating the system.

But hey who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll break out in a weird rash that mysteriously nobody else can see or become diagnosed with a brand new mental disorder
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 01:54:04 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

No not really, mainly because the people I work with I consider friends, and although I don't care about the company I work for, I'd be letting them down by making them do more work, as well as possibly more work for me in the future. I try to as little as possible, and will usually come into work if help is needed.
www.anus.com[/whisper]
www.nazi.org[/whisper]
[whisper]www.overthrow.com

[whisper]NO MOSH NO CORE NO TRENDS NO FUN
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 2 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:07:31 PM)

No I just book work off.

Also the comedy drahiner option would be, faking a mental problem and getting governement money option i'm a serial-killer :)
www.thepartylive.com
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 3 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:37:44 PM)

Usually when I call in sick, I'm actually sick, or too stressed out to function. I've called in sick frivolously a few times to go swimming or spend the day with the missus, but not often. I've really only started to do so since I became a call centre monkey. Before that I always worked in smaller places, where I knew the rest of the staff, and I would've felt bad about them having to cover for me.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Come to my car. I have candy.

Ballkicks: (+69 / -35)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
Reply 4 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:42:57 PM)

I've only called in sick once, and that was because I woke up with a headache and decided I didn't want to go to work anyway. Granted I could've worked that day, but with this convinient headache, I decided to take it easy.

If you feel like you want a day off, just because, then do it. You'll feel better and refreshed the next day.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:43:10 PM)

i've done it once, to go to the chelsea v. ac milan game.

doesn't give your employer much of an opinion of you.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 6 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:48:59 PM)

I have the opening shift at my job so I can't take the day off on a whim because obviously no one would be there and/or awake to pick up the phone. Plus, I'm not the type of person who would screw over my employers (who are friends as well) by being a no show.

If I ever need time off to get my shit together, I ask in advance.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reply 7 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 02:57:39 PM)

Depends on the situation. As said earlier in the thread, it sort of depends where you work. I've worked in a few places where I literally couldn't call in sick because they were so short-staffed.

But if I work in a place where they are well staffed and won't notice me gone (as in, like useless, I've worked at a call center before) I'm a little bit more relaxed about it.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 8 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 03:24:15 PM)

I voted "Sometimes". Though if this were High School rather than Work, I would've voted "All the fucking time".

One of the administrators, at the end of the year, gave my full attendance record and it bascically said that I had 72 instances of me not being in class (or at least 20 minutes late) during the year; with 23 full days missed.

It's harder at Best Buy to call in (fake) sick because they actually require a doctor's note in order to do so. So I'd have to call in car problems or death in the family or something.

I only have so many relatives I can kill off.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Because when insanity takes it's toll, I intend to have exact change."
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 9 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 03:36:54 PM)

Just tell them you're in prison, works like a charm!
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 10 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 03:37:03 PM)

Quote:
I'm not really that sick today, but I do feel like shit

Hungover != sick

I voted "sometimes" because I have in the past, but not lately. In fact I've been working my ass off at two jobs for the last two months, overtired and sore, but I haven't called in sick even once to either job all summer. I'm pretty proud of that, actually.

There's a girl in my department who calls in all the time (or more accurately, gets someone else to call for her) and it's at the point where the only reason she hasn't been fired is because we need more people so badly and can't afford to lose her.

School on the other hand, I miss more classes than I really should. I actually kept track of every class that I missed last year, I don't remember the final tally but it was more than I realized, shocking since I attended more classes last year than any year before that. I guess the lack of motivating paycheque has something to do with that.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 11 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 03:44:35 PM)

"Sometimes" and "yes" are the same thing.

I voted no.
'Mine is a long and a sad tale!' said the Mouse, turning to Alice, and sighing.
'It is a long tail, certainly,' said Alice, looking down with wonder at the Mouse's tail; 'but why do you call it sad?'
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 04:00:44 PM)

No, but the one time this summer I did call in sick, it never got deducted from my pay.
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +v Jew
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +o Jew
<FlamingArrow> AHHHH ZIONIST TAKEOVER
*** FlamingArrow has left #INTL
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reply 13 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 04:15:16 PM)

Quoted from Vervet:
"Sometimes" and "yes" are the same thing.

Ah but "sometimes" and "often" are not the same. Unless you were the one who fixed that. (y)
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reply 14 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 04:19:21 PM)

Something that should also be said is that I can't even begin to count the number of times when I've had to either stay at work, or be called into work, because someone else is sick.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 15 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 04:28:03 PM)

I go to work even if i'm sick

I've missed it one time for illness in 3½ years but that was only because i was so ill i couldn't walk because i had lost my balance and wobbled like a gyroscope
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
frosty
This ban belongs to frosty now

I want Frosty to take my anal virginity!!1

Ballkicks: (+68 / -9)
Reg. Date: Aug 2005
Reply 16 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 05:15:55 PM)

I've never taken a day off work in my life, and in my experiencethis is probably the best route to go down if you want the odd day off - employers tend to be more understanding if they think of you as someone who pulls their weight rather than skives off at the first hint of a headcold.

That said, I used to cry off school quite a lot, and I can't currently be arsed to get a job seeing as I'm technically a full time student, so I'm not exactly a fucking paragon of virtue in this field, either.
uselessinformation
I wasted my fucking time earning this title

cutesy gonzo journalism reference

Ballkicks: (+368 / -31)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 17 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 05:34:08 PM)

Quoted from peach:
Something that should also be said is that I can't even begin to count the number of times when I've had to either stay at work, or be called into work, because someone else is sick.

Same here. I used to pick up any shift that I could for people who were sick, or needed to go out of town, or whatever. It just seemed like the right thing to do.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
- Dr. Johnson
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+458 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 18 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 05:46:41 PM)

At least once a week from 2002 - early 2004. Not so much any more.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reply 19 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 06:05:19 PM)

work, you lazy pieces of shit.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 20 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 06:10:11 PM)

I've always had a good work ethic, and I actually could not take a sick day without being partially sick, because I have this strange concept where in order to blatently lie, I need to be able to convince myself that I am not lying. Still though, the fact that everyone else is so dishonest does make it easier for me to live with my decision today.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 21 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 06:27:11 PM)

I go to work when I am sick (cold, sore throat, bleeding eyeballs) but will call in if too hungover. I have a prety good work ethic too, and in the past I've never really called in sick ever. But the last 5 or so months I have, mostly becaue I stopped caring anough about my job to help out, because if I did try to help out, I'd just get shit on anyhow.

Now I am going to a new job, and I won't call in sick at all unless I really need to. And I don't plan on that happening because I am capable of being a responsible adult.

And you don't seem to understand
A shame, you seemed an honest man
And all the fears you hold so dear
Will turn to whisper in your ear
And you know what they say might hurt you
And you know that it means so much
And you don't even feel a thing
And you don't seem the lying kind
A shame then I can read your mind
And all the things that I read there
Candle lit smile that we both share
thistle
Administrators
i wanna be your housewife

make sure the person knows you enjoy being with them

Ballkicks: (+52 / -10)
Reg. Date: Mar 2005
Reply 22 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 06:47:51 PM)

I hate calling in sick, so i often dont. Yesterday was the execption though. My current manager is a huge man bitch and i would of had to close with him last night after pulling a full day at school. I was talking to my mom about it and she said she'd call in for me and tell him that i had a relapse from last week (i was very ill and missed a few shifts). Being the kick ass mom she is, she did and saw how much of a bastard my manager is. He didnt believe her at all, said he had to talk to me and asked if i could still come in after she and i confirmed that i had a fever and was heading off to the dr's soon. it doesnt seem like much, but it's the way he says things and doesnt care. My dad said that i shouldnt go back for the rest of my two weeks notice. Im pretty sure this is the only time i wouldnt mind doing so.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 23 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 08:08:47 PM)

Quoted from thistle:
I hate calling in sick, so i often dont. Yesterday was the execption though. My current manager is a huge man bitch and i would of had to close with him last night after pulling a full day at school. I was talking to my mom about it and she said she'd call in for me and tell him that i had a relapse from last week (i was very ill and missed a few shifts). Being the kick ass mom she is, she did and saw how much of a bastard my manager is. He didnt believe her at all, said he had to talk to me and asked if i could still come in after she and i confirmed that i had a fever and was heading off to the dr's soon. it doesnt seem like much, but it's the way he says things and doesnt care. My dad said that i shouldnt go back for the rest of my two weeks notice. Im pretty sure this is the only time i wouldnt mind doing so.

I have bad manager horror stories too. My cat recently died and before that, when he was sick, I called the owner of the company on the phone to talk to him personally about it (because I had been missing some days prior to this) and he was a complete and total asshole, even though I told him my cat was possibly dying and could he please help me with any time off. I lost any and all respect for my job after that (and a bunch of other shit that has been happening for the last year or so) and decided to quit. If they can't appreciate you, go somewhere else. I've worked at my job for 6 years and the way they act, you'd think I was the worlds worst employee, which I am not, not even a little bit.

I wouldn't advise you to not go in for your 2 weeks. That makes for a bad reference in the future, and makes you look worse all around.

And you don't seem to understand
A shame, you seemed an honest man
And all the fears you hold so dear
Will turn to whisper in your ear
And you know what they say might hurt you
And you know that it means so much
And you don't even feel a thing
And you don't seem the lying kind
A shame then I can read your mind
And all the things that I read there
Candle lit smile that we both share
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 24 of 49 (Originally posted on: 08-17-05 08:48:32 PM)

I might, but I like having money more than not working.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3850 | Total Posts: 49 ]