Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Half Blood Prince > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4109 | Total Posts: 56 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-27-05 12:41:19 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I know this is very early for a thread regarding this book, as I think it's only been out for a few days.
I've only just finished reading it myself, however, is there anyone else here who has read the sixth installment of Harry Potter?

I personally think the story was very well developed, and I would much rather her take four years to write each one well, than to hurry up and spit out the last few books.

One thing disturbs me however  now that harry has decided not to return to Hogwarts the following year, and that Ron and Hermione have decided to accompany him on his attempt to seek out and eventually destroy Voldemort, the story may actually last more than seven books 

Although many fans expected something like this after he graduated, I had not figured he'd do it sooner than that.

Well, I may be talking to a wall anyway, any thoughts?
Ok, that's good to know...

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 1 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 02:55:05 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I never read any of these books until last Thursday, and just finished HBP last night. I'm a little ashamed to have read them, but they're so good it's worth it.

A couple notes:

She could have hidden the identity of the half-blood prince better.

Dumbledore's death isn't that big of a deal, when anyone can just visit the Headmistress' office and talk to him in the picture. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I was much more upset about Harry ditching Ginny.

I'm not sold on the fact that Harry and crew won't return to Hogwart's. It just seems like a ploy to keep people interested between books.

Snape can't be evil. She was waaaay to straightforward with his actions in HBP for there to not be some kind of backstory. The speech that Dumbledore gives Harry about doing whatever he says no matter what makes me think that he might have had the same conversation with Snape.  
Boo
shut up fags
Just as shitty as the original

Ballkicks: (+10 / -15)
Reg. Date: Jul 2005
Reply 2 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 03:00:54 PM)

Right, because
 Dumbledoor says "come on, kill me" or something of the like 
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 3 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 03:01:13 PM)

I'd have to agree that I doubt  Snape is as clearly cut as you may believe. 

Also, on the subject of  Dumbledore, I sort of doubt that he's going to stay dead. I mean, I can see it happening, but at the same time, I can see him rising from the dead at the appropriate time. 

Misc.

Malfoy, a death eater? Who would've imagined omg yah rite fag lol 

The book read a bit slow, there were parts I was just wanting it to go ahead and end, but it seemed it never would.
I got hit in the nuts by one girl and before the pain kicked in I yelled, "Abortion!" and hit her in the stomach.

Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?

LEEROY JENKINS!
jimmy

Reply 4 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 03:13:27 PM)

Quoted from Boo:
Right, because
 Dumbledoor says "come on, kill me" or something of the like 

It's nice to see that you're still a fucking moron that adds absolutely nothing to any conversation you manage to wander into. Go play with STFU somewhere.
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reply 5 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 03:17:15 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:

It's nice to see that you're still a fucking moron that adds absolutely nothing to any conversation you manage to wander into. Go play with STFU somewhere.

there's no explicit rule about being stupid jimbo, however there is one about flaming, so cut it out
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 6 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 03:43:25 PM)

there is no way  harry won't return to hogwarts for the final book 

also  i think i remember reading somewhere that Rowling only wanted 7 books for potter, but said other books could take place in the same world 

wait until skye finds this thread
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 06:02:36 PM)

Quote:
 One thing disturbs me however now that harry has decided not to return to Hogwarts the following year, and that Ron and Hermione have decided to accompany him on his attempt to seek out and eventually destroy Voldemort, the story may actually last more than seven books 

She has already stated numerous times that there is only ever going to be seven books. Afterall,  7 is the greatest magical number . Though, from what it seems, it's going to be a long book.

Quote:
 Dumbledore's death isn't that big of a deal, when anyone can just visit the Headmistress' office and talk to him in the picture. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I was much more upset about Harry ditching Ginny. 

I see Dumbledore's picture as a snapshot of his life, and not as the actual Dumbledore, in personality, memories or otherwise. 

Quote:
 I'm not sold on the fact that Harry and crew won't return to Hogwart's. It just seems like a ploy to keep people interested between books. 

I believe that they will go out on their own, but will return to Hogwarts for the final battle. 

Quote:
 Malfoy, a death eater? Who would've imagined 

I bet he leaves the bad side at the crucial moment. 
"Oh Joe Cocker"
(you like Joe's Cocker, don't ya?)
"It's up where it belongs."
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 8 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 06:23:29 PM)

Is this worth reading?

I am considering tackling it at the end of the summer...but I am a bit bored with Harry.
$2
Thomas Johnson

Ballkicks: (+10 / -9)
Reg. Date: Jul 2005
Reply 9 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 06:29:52 PM)

Man, I laughed for hours when FA ruined it at OD.
This reply was last edited on 07-27-05 08:01:14 PM by Thomas Johnson.
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reply 10 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 06:50:04 PM)

Althought I think JK Rowling sucks cock, and the little Tom-> Voldemort thing is too Anakinesque, I've read half of the book (In english :101i'm a serial-killer :), and I think I'll be dissapointed by the predictable identity of the prince. I'd like her to explore more deeply the sexual attraction betwwen characters.
I'm gonna eat you baby!
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 11 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 09:17:46 PM)

I was upset as well that  Harry and Ginny split up, though I can understand why, and I doubt it will take long before they are back together.

I also still trust Snape, I really don't think he could possibly be a genuine death eater. Nor Malfoy.

I do not read any more of the stories than what is presented in the books, as such I havent heard any of her announcments about the characters or the length of the series, but I just think that it's impossible for Dumbledore to be entirely gone.
There must be a way for him to support Harry through his search for the remaining fragments.

Furthermore, with Snape and Dumbledore both "gone", Hogwarts defenses are considerably weakened.
I just can't see how Harry could yet be strong enough alone to face Voldemort.

In fact, I think it will be Malfoy and/or Snape that help him in the end.

I was surprised that Fleur came back into the picture in this one, I don't remember hearing of her since the fourth book. Was she mentioned in the last one?
The fact that she and Bill were engaged hit me as totally random.

Did the pair of them meet at the end of the tournament?
I don't remember any details concerning the two of them.
ahhh.. Books. 

I think this thread would also be a good place to post speculations anyone might have about the story, as well as questions.

Let me be the first by wondering to you all,  who do you think the wizzard(s) was/were that managed to aquire Voldemort's locket Horcrux from the cavern, and what do you think he/she/they may have done with it? Obviously it would have been very difficult for one person to reach the locket, but also very difficult for a group to reach the island. 

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle

This reply was last edited on 07-27-05 10:37:12 PM by Menion.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 12 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 09:52:35 PM)

Quoted from Menion:

Did the pair of them meet at the end of the tournament?
I don't remember any details concerning the two of them.
ahhh.. Books. 

Yes, they did, and it was mentioned in OOTP.
"Oh Joe Cocker"
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 13 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 11:37:56 PM)

Got the book yesterday afternoon, just finished it now.

Hugely different feel to this one than the other ones, which seem to be more for younger kids.

I think the author is actually tailoring the book for the kids who were about 13 years old when the book came out has been changing her style and content of the books as they/we got older with the years, rather than writing all the books in the same adolescant demographic. Anyone else notice that?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Because when insanity takes it's toll, I intend to have exact change."
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
jimmy

Reply 14 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-27-05 11:55:36 PM)

Quote:
 who do you think the wizzard(s) was/were that managed to aquire Voldemort's locket Horcrux from the cavern, and what do you think he/she/they may have done with it? Obviously it would have been very difficult for one person to reach the locket, but also very difficult for a group to reach the island.  

The note hints that only one wizard took the Horcrux, which leads me to believe that it was that wizard who left the potion (possibly) for Voldemort to find. I haven't completely discounted the fact that it may have been Dumbledore, as well. As stated in the note, the person who took it "faces death" so that Voldemort might be mortal when he meets his match. R.A.B. could be Regulus Black, and he might have been another Order of the Phoenix double agent posing as a Death Eater.

If it is Regulus, then at least one of the Horcruxes, I think, could be one of the items that Kreacher keeps saving from being destroyed or thrown outwhile Sirius was attempting to clean out the house.

This brings me to Snape...I think Dumbledore trusted him because not many people know that Snape was not a full-blood wizard. Even though Voldemort is not a full-blood himself, I believe that Dumbledore knew what kind of persecution he would have gone through if they found out. Not 100% on that, of course. 
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 15 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 07:14:07 AM)

Skye found this thread and has nothing to contribute because she hasn't read Half Blood Prince yet. When a new book comes out, I always have to reread the old ones so I get a good handle on the story. For this one, I didn't go further back than Prisoner of Azkaban because the introduction of Sirius is when most of the action tied to the later books begins. In my opinion, that is.

I saw the big spoiler pages all over the internet recently ( omg snape kills dumbledore ) and I thought it made sense. I have a feeling that we'll discover eventually that  Snape is a double agent, and Dumbledore isn't actually dead. With Snape "murdering" Dumbledore, it would be easier for the Order to track Voldemort and his actions. Plus, how best for Snape to show his loyalty by killing the ringleader of Voldemort's main opposition? Plus that whole line from Harry -- "As long as one person is loyal to Dumbledore, he is alive" -- makes me really suspicious because it's one of Dumbledore's enigmatic sayings. (Think Chamber of Secrets with the Fawkes incident.) 

A friend of mine who's bought the book also told me about  Harry, Ron, and Hermione leaving Hogwarts. I think that's a load of crap. They'll end up back there in this next book -- especially Hermione. At least Hermione. I can see Hermione and Ron returning, leaving Harry to fight by himself. But then again, I haven't read the book yet, so this could just be my own idealism speaking. 

And what the fuck?  Harry and Ginny? Ginny Weasley? Sure they were close from the chamber incident, and Ginny's had a longstanding crush on him, but what happened to Cho? Ginny just seems like a stretch and a Rowling surprise because everyone expected the Harry/Cho thing. 

One last thing, since I just finished reading Prisoner of Azkaban and my memory of the books after are foggy: has Pettigrew returned yet?
"It is hard to say if this sermon had any effect on our townsfolk. M. Othon, the magistrate, assured Dr. Rieux that he had found the preacher's arguments "absolutely irrefutable." But not everybody took so unqualified a view. To some the sermon simply brought home the fact that they had been sentenced, for an unknown crime, to an indeterminate period of punishment. And while a good many people adapted themselves to confinement and carried on their humdrum lives as before, there were others who rebelled and whose one idea now was to break loose from the prison-house."
--Albert Camus, The Plague
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Reply 16 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 10:00:57 AM)

Quote:
 And what the fuck? Harry and Ginny? Ginny Weasley? Sure they were close from the chamber incident, and Ginny's had a longstanding crush on him, but what happened to Cho? Ginny just seems like a stretch and a Rowling surprise because everyone expected the Harry/Cho thing. 

The Harry/Cho relationship died several books earlier. Cho turned out to be an insecure whining bitch. I kind of think the Harry/Ginny relationship works fine.  

Quote:
 One last thing, since I just finished reading Prisoner of Azkaban and my memory of the books after are foggy: has Pettigrew returned yet? 

He returns in GOF when he is given his silver hand (which will most likely be used to kill someone, probably a werewolf). He hasn't been seen in any of the other books, though he has been mentioned. Harry is to not forget that Pettigrew owes him something in return, for Harry having saved him. 
"Oh Joe Cocker"
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 17 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 10:07:50 AM)

Quoted from Sunny:
 He returns in GOF when he is given his silver hand (which will most likely be used to kill someone, probably a werewolf). He hasn't been seen in any of the other books, though he has been mentioned. Harry is to not forget that Pettigrew owes him something in return, for Harry having saved him. 

I'm almost certain that this "favor" will be returned in the last book. And I forgot all about the Cho/GoF thing; thanks, Sunny. i'm a serial-killer :)
"It is hard to say if this sermon had any effect on our townsfolk. M. Othon, the magistrate, assured Dr. Rieux that he had found the preacher's arguments "absolutely irrefutable." But not everybody took so unqualified a view. To some the sermon simply brought home the fact that they had been sentenced, for an unknown crime, to an indeterminate period of punishment. And while a good many people adapted themselves to confinement and carried on their humdrum lives as before, there were others who rebelled and whose one idea now was to break loose from the prison-house."
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 18 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 10:31:53 AM)

It's odd that Voldemort has Snape and Pettigrew paired, and living together, seeing as both of them are suspect of coming through for Harry at some point.

I wonder if Pettigrew lives with Snape at Severus' request.

I also highly doubt that is was Dumbledore that had placed the potion in the cavern, less he wouldn't have bothered returning.
In fact, the potion does actually sound like a trick that Voldemort would try, seeing as he had it set up for only one wizard to reach the island, but that two would be required to access the locket.

I agree however that it would not be surpirsing if the other Black is collecting the Hocruxes.
(But, I thought he was dead?)

This reply was last edited on 07-28-05 10:43:53 AM by Menion.
Spit Fire
Canuck Connection, eh?

Better question: Who cares?

Ballkicks: (+81 / -36)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 19 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 11:13:45 AM)

The word "snog" was overused. I had to look it up.

Crazy Brits.
_________________.##@@\$\$\$@@##._____________
______________,##@\$::%\$\$%%::\$@##.__________
____________#@\$:%%000000000%%:\$@#_________
___________#@\$:%00'___________'00%:\$@#_______
__________#@\$:%0'_______________'0%:\$@#______
_________#@\$:%0__________________0%:\$@#_____
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 20 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 11:30:21 AM)

If they overused the word "snog," then I don't know if I want to bother reading it. Sheesh.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 21 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 12:30:41 PM)

Well personally I think  You're all fucking losers for reading these books  And when Harry  Potter books are a thing of the past and you're in your fifties you're going to look back on this and say " I can't fucking believe that  I read and even posted about that trash on the fucking internet"  But what really bothers me is that  there is actually a copy of this stupid book in this house, and I am almost tempted to skip to the end just to spoil the ending for everyone.  Still I don't think  I will because it's A FUCKING HARRY POTTER BOOK! 
BOYS GO 2 COLLEGE 2 GET MORE KNOWLEDGE GURLS GO 2 JUPITER 2 GET MORE STUPIDER LOL
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 22 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 12:42:44 PM)

I think you're trolling.
I got hit in the nuts by one girl and before the pain kicked in I yelled, "Abortion!" and hit her in the stomach.

Doing stuff is overrated. Like Hitler. He did a lot. But don't we all wish he woulda just stayed home and gotten stoned?

LEEROY JENKINS!
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 23 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 12:53:07 PM)

No, not really. 
BOYS GO 2 COLLEGE 2 GET MORE KNOWLEDGE GURLS GO 2 JUPITER 2 GET MORE STUPIDER LOL
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 24 of 56 (Originally posted on: 07-28-05 01:00:16 PM)

Shut up, Smokey. There's nothing wrong with reading Harry Potter.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4109 | Total Posts: 56 ]