Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > London gets Fucking Bombed. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] [ Thread Views: 7482 | Total Posts: 120 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:34:40 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I cannot fucking believe this. 7 bombs have gone off its all over the news. Aparently it happened around 8.50. According to the news it was a 'calculated, coordinated, terrorist attack' they're saying their was no intelligence about any plans for an attack.

I was up their yesterday and I had plans to go up their today around 1 but now the entire underground system and bus services have been shut down for god knows how long. It's not something I've been worrying about but when I do go up I realise at the very back of my head that something could happen and will happen one day. Now that bombs have actually gone off it's just so weird, harrowing.

I've just found out my best friend was right next to one of the fucking bombs at Edware Road tube station, but thank fuck he's alright.

EDIT - from the BBC

"Two people have been killed and scores have been injured after at least seven blasts on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said it was "reasonably clear" there had been a series of terrorist attacks.

He said it was "particularly barbaric" that it was timed to coincide with the G8 summit. He is returning to London.

An Islamist website has posted a statement - purportedly from al-Qaeda - claiming it was behind the attacks.

London's police chief Sir Ian Blair said there had been "many casualties" but it was too early to put a figure to those killed or injured.

More than 100 casualties and one of the dead were taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

And St Mary's Hospital said it was dealing with 26 injured people, including four with critical injuries and eight in a serious condition.

Sir Ian urged people to stay where they were and not to call emergency services unless it was a life-threatening situation.

He reassured the public that an emergency plan was in place and the situation was "steadily coming under control".

Scotland Yard said explosions have been reported at Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate.

08:49 police called to Liverpool Street station after reports of bang
Blasts also reported at Aldgate East, Edgware Rd, Kings Cross, Moorgate, Russell Square tube stations
10:14 Reports of blast on bus at Tavistock Square

All London Underground services have been suspended indefinitely and bus services in central London (Zone One) have been halted.

Describing the bus blast, eyewitness Belinda Seabrook said she saw an explosion rip through the bus as it approached Russell Square.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double-decker bus was in the air," she said.

She said the bus was travelling from Euston to Russell Square and had been "packed" with people turned away from Tube stops.

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air, I think it was the number 205," she said.

"There must be a lot of people dead as all the buses were packed, they had been turning people away from the Tube stops."

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines and bodies everywhere".

Loyita Worley, who works for a City law firm, said she was on the underground train when an explosion took place in the next carriage, while it was in a tunnel.

The 49-year-old said: "All the lights went out and the train came to an immediate halt. There was smoke everywhere and everyone was coughing and choking, but remained calm. We couldn't open the doors."

Once the doors were opened they were taken along to Liverpool Street station.

She said the carriage where an explosion happened was "black on the inside" and she saw people who appeared to have their clothes blown off.

She saw bodies lying inside the carriage.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

A spokesman for Vodafone said emergency services were being given priority access to the mobile phone network which was causing problems for other users."

At least only 2 have died, from the sounds of it, it could have been a lot worse.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 1 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:37:54 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I heard the reports in the morning, but our news said things like "London got bombed, we're waiting on the press conference, but while we're waiting let's talk about the weather and America!"

I feel so awful right now. Are they giving any clear indications about who's responsible? So far they've reported 94 casualties just at one hospital. And is Blair returning to the G-8 after things are under control?
When Troth asked Senich whether any of his supervisors had ever told him to stop swearing, he recalled that Corky Krollman, who was Senich's supervisor for a time, told him on several occasions, "'Senich, clean up your fucking act.'"
With that, Leighton's head fell to the table.
Kimmo
People Against Ignorant Fools

Aussie Aussie Aussie, OI OI OI!

Ballkicks: (+13 / -26)
Reg. Date: Jun 2005
Reply 2 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:40:37 AM)

I heard one reference to the European wing of Al Queda...
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 3 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:45:12 AM)

Missed this narrowly. If i'd gone out an hour later I'd have been caught in the middle of it... I feel so surreal right now. It's like I'm angry one second, then appauled, then just... weird. Thankfully no one I know was hurt, but the fact that anyone was hurt at all really pisses me off

edit: Bebop, that's two confirmed dead. Unfortunately that will probably rise.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 4 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:45:30 AM)

94 casualties but only 2 fatalities so far.

Right now Fox News is doing a pretty good job of covering, it almost seems like more insightful news than BBC was getting. A terrible event, but at least of now it seems London was rather lucky in the limited number of fatalities. Then again, with the twin towers they were estimating 500 fatalities and we all found out how wrong that was.
This signature is only a temporary replacement for something that is actually funny.
greenidentity
Disco naps and liquorice Snaps.

It is time for some fine fine wine.....or box wine it's all good man

Ballkicks: (+603 / -81)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 5 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:46:44 AM)

What the fuck??

Why???

My sister almost got caught in it...
After the 2nd drink, it gets easier.

We'll see how brave you are.
We'll see how fast you'll be
Running.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 6 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:47:10 AM)

Quoted from Skye:
I feel so awful right now. Are they giving any clear indications about who's responsible? So far they've reported 94 casualties just at one hospital. And is Blair returning to the G-8 after things are under control?
The news says that a coordinated attack like this is the signiture of Al Queda. One of their websites has taken responsibility but there's been no confirmation.

I think Blair is on his way back although I'm not sure what good that's going to do.

Quoted from tazzo:
I feel so surreal right now. It's like I'm angry one second, then appauled, then just... weird.
I know exactly what you mean, I can't explain it at all.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:52:16 AM)

Quote:
What the fuck??

Why???

You seriously don't know why?

I'm sure glad i live in a cowardly liberal country.
DRAHNIER
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 8 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:54:21 AM)

Quoted from Bebop:
I think Blair is on his way back although I'm not sure what good that's going to do.
I'm sure he's on his way back to London as a means of showing people that as a leader he is not afraid to be in London, despite the terror attacks.

I'm really surprised by this. The report I read on CNN sounded bad, with all the reports of people walking around with blood streaming from their heads.

On the other hand, I hate to detract from the tragedy of this, but I'm incredibly curious to see how this is going to affect American policy toward terrorism and Iraq, as I'm absolutely sure that they're going to link this to Al Qaeda and Bin Laden and Joe Arab. I'm sure the policy will be accelerated.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 9 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:55:29 AM)

they also threathen denmark and italy

i hope they bomb our PM
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 10 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 06:57:58 AM)

Did they forget Poland?

Edit: Don't forget Poland!
DRAHNIER
greenidentity

Reply 11 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:00:44 AM)

Quoted from Drahnier:
Quote:
What the fuck??

Why???

You seriously don't know why?

I'm sure glad i live in a cowardly liberal country.

No I just found out about this like, 2 minutes ago.

So fuck off.

Running.
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 12 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:01:36 AM)

Edit: Nevermind i guess.
DRAHNIER
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 13 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:02:36 AM)

I think I posted in a rather uninteresting thread in SD that this would probably be an excuse for more action in the middle east. Whatever fuel the fire in Iraq was losing has now been fully replenished.
When Troth asked Senich whether any of his supervisors had ever told him to stop swearing, he recalled that Corky Krollman, who was Senich's supervisor for a time, told him on several occasions, "'Senich, clean up your fucking act.'"
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 14 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:08:08 AM)

never understood it, and never will.

fucking extremists.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
greenidentity

Reply 15 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:12:53 AM)

Quoted from asthetik:

fucking extremists.

Running.
SpiderPEZ

Ballkicks: (+4 / -1)
Reg. Date: Jul 2005
Reply 16 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:13:32 AM)

There is a tremendous amount of speculation of why it happened. One thoughtis that it is because of the G8 summit to find a solution for people starving in Africa, another is the Olympics in London in 2012.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these attacks are coordinated by some person or persons within the free countries. Perhaps for profit or some other agenda. But of course that is just stupid. Why would a political power of the free world coordinate an attack like this?
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 17 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:16:56 AM)

Article from The Independent about injuries from the blasts:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/article297462.ece

Quoted from article:
Home Secretary tells of 'terrible injuries'
PA
Published: 07 July 2005
The Home Secretary Charles Clarke said there have been "terrible injuries" in today's explosions across London.

He said: "There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today.

"The Cabinet has been kept informed of the situation, as has the Prime Minister at Gleneagles.

"I chaired a meeting of our Cobra senior ministers' committee earlier on today to assess the situation and take what immediate action needs to be taken.

"As far as the police are concerned, they are in operational command and dealing with the situation in accordance with very well established procedures in an extremely professional way.

"Health services are in support to deal with the terrible injuries that there have been and I want to express sympathy on behalf of the Government to the family and friends of those who have been injured.

"Underground services have been suspended and we advise people not to make unnecessary journeys in London at this stage in order to help the police and other emergency services deal with the current situation."

He said he would update the House of Commons later today and added: " Throughout all of this and the terrible situation that there is we will be updating the public very directly at regular intervals with the most up to date information that we have."

Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reply 18 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:17:46 AM)

I couldn't imagine being on the tube when the bombs went off. Even when the lights are on and there are people around the thing feels like a tomb.
www.the-party.org
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Reply 19 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:19:09 AM)

Quoted from asthetik & GI:

fucking extremists.

ofcourse you don't.

They have to live in pretty shitty conditions to become so pissed off.
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 20 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:22:32 AM)

Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that these attacks are coordinated by some person or persons within the free countries. Perhaps for profit or some other agenda. But of course that is just stupid. Why would a political power of the free world coordinate an attack like this?

Yeah, the French government organized it because they're pissed about losing the olympics!
DRAHNIER
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 21 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 07:30:11 AM)

Quoted from Surt:
Quoted from asthetik & GI:

fucking extremists.

ofcourse you don't.

They have to live in pretty shitty conditions to become so pissed off.

If you don't think in abstractions, the motivations and actions are relatively justifiable.

UPDATE: The death toll's climbed to 40 and casualties are up to 300.

This reply was last edited on 07-07-05 07:51:19 AM by Skye.
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 22 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 08:01:32 AM)

The attacks may be ideologically explainable, but their effectiveness is suspect. No one's foreign policy has changed in favor of the alleged perpetrators since the last explosion. I just have no stomach for the obvious targetting of civilians. At least try to take out a head of state or something if you want to make a point. Killing 45 McDonald's employees and factory workers doesn't do much but piss people off.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Reply 23 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 08:05:24 AM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
The attacks may be ideologically explainable, but their effectiveness is suspect. No one's foreign policy has changed in favor of the alleged perpetrators since the last explosion. I just have no stomach for the obvious targetting of civilians. At least try to take out a head of state or something if you want to make a point. Killing 45 McDonald's employees and factory workers doesn't do much but piss people off.

But it's a good tactic.

It shows that it's not only the leaders and soldiers who are at risk, but also civilians, and they want to bring the war to our home, and i think it's a good wake up call for all those who are so much in favour of invasion themselves, to get a little taste of war, and see how much it sucks.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 24 of 120 (Originally posted on: 07-07-05 08:08:35 AM)

Quoted from Surt:
Quoted from awkward jimmy:

But it's a good tactic.

It shows that it's not only the leaders and soldiers who are at risk, but also civilians, and they want to bring the war to our home, and i think it's a good wake up call for all those who are so much in favour of invasion themselves, to get a little taste of war, and see how much it sucks.

It's not a good tactic; to me it seems less strategic. The civilians are not the ones making the brunt of the policy, and any terrorist who attacks civilians has enough knowledge to realize that the ones they are attacking are not responsible for whatever injustices their side suffers. Leaders and soldiers should be the main targets because it is their motivations and their actions that produce the negative effects they're fighting. Civilians on both sides bear little of the burden.

In short, the terrorists are not attacking a target; they're focusing more on a way of life, and at the slow rate of killing civilians who have little to do with shaping ideologies it will not hinder the leaders' causes.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7482 | Total Posts: 120 ]