Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > The Conservative Court Construction Begins (CONTINUING COVERAGE) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 3297 | Total Posts: 63 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
(Originally posted on: 07-01-05 09:27:04 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-oconnor0701,1,1748959.story?coll=bal-news-breaking

Pretty lengthy article about her retirement follows...

Quoted from article:

Justice O'Connor says she is retiring

First woman appointed to Supreme Court plans to leave before start of next term; No immediate word from White House on a possible replacement
By Gina Holland
The Associated Press
Originally published July 1, 2005, 10:56 AM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court and a key swing vote on issues such as abortion and the death penalty, said today she is retiring.

O'Connor, 75, said she expects to leave before the start of the court's next term in October, or whenever the Senate confirms her successor. There was no immediate word from the White House on who might be nominated to replace O'Connor.

It's been 11 years since the last opening on the court, one of the longest uninterrupted stretches in history. O'Connor's decision gives Bush his first opportunity to appoint a justice.

"This is to inform you of my decision to retire from my position as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, effective upon the nomination and confirmation of my successor. It has been a great privilege indeed to have served as a member of the court for 24 terms. I will leave it with enormous respect for the integrity of the court and its role under our constitutional structure."

President Bush planned to make a statement at 11:15 a.m. in the White House Rose Garden on her resignation. Spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush would not at that time be announcing a nominee to succeed her.

O'Connor's appointment came amid speculation that the aging court would soon have a vacancy. But speculation has most recently focused on Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, 80, and suffering from thyroid cancer. Rehnquist has offered no public clue as to his plans.

The White House has refused to comment on any possible nominees, or whether Bush would name a woman to succeed O'Connor. Her departure leaves Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg as the only other woman among the current justices.

Possible replacements include Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and federal courts of appeals judges J. Michael Luttig, John Roberts, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Michael McConnell, Emilio Garza and James Harvie Wilkinson III. Others mentioned are former Solicitor General Theodore Olson, lawyer Miguel Estrada and former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson, but Bush's pick could be a surprise choice not well known in legal circles.

Another prospective candidate is Edith Hollan Jones, a judge on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals who was also considered for a Supreme Court vacancy by President Bush's father.

O'Connor's appointment in 1981 by President Ronald Reagan, quickly confirmed by the Senate, ended 191 years of male exclusivity on the high court.

She wasted little time building a reputation as a hard-working moderate conservative who emerged as a crucial power broker on the nine-member court.

O'Connor often lines up with the court's conservative bloc, as she did in 2000 when the court voted to stop Florida presidential ballot recounts sought by Al Gore, and effectively called the election for President Bush.

As a "swing voter," however, O'Connor sometimes votes with more liberal colleagues.

Perhaps the best example of her influence is the court's evolving stance on abortion. She distanced herself both from her three most conservative colleagues, who say there is no constitutional underpinning for a right to abortion, and from more liberal justices for whom the right is a given.

O'Connor initially balked at letting states outlaw most abortions, refusing in 1989 to join four other justices who were ready to reverse the landmark 1973 decision that said women have a constitutional right to abortion.

Then in 1992, she helped forge and lead a five-justice majority that reaffirmed the core holding of the 1973 ruling. Subsequent appointments secured the abortion right. Commentators called O'Connor the nation's most powerful woman.

"I don't think it's accurate," she said in an Associated Press interview.

O'Connor in late 1988 was diagnosed as having breast cancer, and she underwent a mastectomy. She missed just two weeks of work. That same year, she had her appendix removed.

For years, O'Connor had an involuntary nodding of her head, but said she never had it diagnosed. The movement, while not constant, was an up-and-down motion similar to that made by someone nodding in the affirmative.

O'Connor remained the court's only woman until 1993 when, much to O'Connor's delight and relief, President Bill Clinton appointed Ginsburg.
The enormity of the reaction to O'Connor's appointment had surprised her. She received more than 60,000 letters in her first year, more than any one member in the court's history.

"I had no idea when I was appointed how much it would mean to many people around the country," she once said. "It affected them in a very personal way. People saw it as a signal that there are virtually unlimited opportunities for women. It's important to parents for their daughters, and to daughters for themselves."

At times, the constant publicity was almost unbearable.

"I had never expected or aspired to be a Supreme Court justice. My first year on the court made me long at times for obscurity," she once said.

On the court, O'Connor generally favored states in disputes with the federal government and for enhanced police powers challenged as violative of asserted individual rights.

In 1985, she wrote for the court as it ruled that the confession of a criminal suspect first warned about his rights may be used as trial evidence even if police violated a suspect's rights in obtaining an earlier confession.

O'Connor wrote the 1989 decision that struck down as an unconstitutional form of affirmative action a minority set-aside program for construction projects in Richmond, Va.

In 1991, she led the court as it ruled in its first-ever decision on rape-shield laws that states may under some circumstances bar evidence that a defendant and his alleged victim previously had consensual sex.

O'Connor once described herself and her eight fellow justices as nine firefighters.

"When [someone] lights a fire, we invariably are asked to attend to the blaze. We may arrive at the scene a few years later," she said.

O'Connor was 51 when she joined the court to replace the retired Potter Stewart. A virtual unknown on the national scene until her appointment, she had served as an Arizona state judge, and before that as a member of her state's Legislature.

A fourth-generation Arizonan, she had grown up on a sprawling family ranch.

The woman who climbed higher in the legal profession than had any other member of her sex did not begin her career auspiciously. As a top-ranked graduate of Stanford's prestigious law school, class of 1952, O'Connor discovered that most large law firms did not hire women.

One offered her a job as a secretary. Perhaps it was that early experience that shaped O'Connor's professional tenacity. She once recalled a comment by an Arizona colleague: "With Sandra O'Connor, there ain't no Miller time."

"I think that's true," confessed the justice whose work week most often extended beyond 60 hours.

But she played tennis and golf well, danced expertly with her husband, John, and made frequent appearances on the Washington party circuit.

O'Connor was embarrassed in 1989 after conservative Republicans in Arizona used a letter she had sent to support their claim that the United States is a "Christian nation."

The 1988 letter, which prompted some harsh criticism of O'Connor by legal scholars, cited three Supreme Court rulings in which the nation's Christian heritage was discussed.

O'Connor said she regretted the letter's use in a political debate.

"It was not my intention to express a personal view on the subject of the inquiry," she said.

O'Connor's name was linked in 1985 with that of Washington Redskins football star John Riggins when at a formal dinner he was heard to tell the justice sharing his table, "Loosen up, Sandy baby."

Shortly thereafter, the women who participated with O'Connor at an 8 a.m. daily exercise class presented her with a T-shirt that proclaimed: "Loosen up at the Supreme Court."

The O'Connors have three sons, Scott, Brian and Jay.

O'Connor's retirement is very important since she's one of the justices that often holds the deciding vote on critical issues such as abortion and the death penalty. If Bush is allowed to appoint a conservative to replace her, Roe v. Wade and other important cases may be overturned.

Comments on her retirement? (Maybe they won't repossess her house like they're taking Souter's.)
When Troth asked Senich whether any of his supervisors had ever told him to stop swearing, he recalled that Corky Krollman, who was Senich's supervisor for a time, told him on several occasions, "'Senich, clean up your fucking act.'"
With that, Leighton's head fell to the table.

This reply was last edited on 07-01-05 09:58:00 AM by Skye.
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 09:37:51 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

It's funny that it's such a bif deal that she was the first woman to get into it in 83', at a time where the English PM was a woman.
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 2 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 09:44:17 AM)

Quoted from Surt:
It's funny that it's such a big deal that she was the first woman to get into it in 83', at a time where the English PM was a woman.

That's probably the cause of the big deal; women being appointed to major positions around the same time period. Besides, when it happens in the U.S. it's monumental in itself. omg yah rite fag lol
When Troth asked Senich whether any of his supervisors had ever told him to stop swearing, he recalled that Corky Krollman, who was Senich's supervisor for a time, told him on several occasions, "'Senich, clean up your fucking act.'"
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 10:23:29 AM)

Quoted from Skye:
Quoted from Surt:
It's funny that it's such a big deal that she was the first woman to get into it in 83', at a time where the English PM was a woman.

That's probably the cause of the big deal; women being appointed to major positions around the same time period. Besides, when it happens in the U.S. it's monumental in itself. omg yah rite fag lol

How is it any big deal. The leaders of some of the world's largest countries - at the moment - seem to be women. Most were just recently elected?
"Oh Joe Cocker"
(you like Joe's Cocker, don't ya?)
"It's up where it belongs."
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 4 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 10:43:56 AM)

It was the fact that it was a progressive move at the time to appoint/elect women to higher positions. It's not a huge deal, but it was a step in the right direction for giving women a voice in high levels of government.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 5 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 11:12:04 AM)

It's strange watching America slowly create itself in the image of a fundamentalist Christian regime. That's the cynical view, anyway. Reagan didnt do so bad when he appointed this woman and he was wrist-deep in South America appointing look-the-other-way ambassadors and supporting brutal regimes at the time.

Bush and his puppetmasters,..well, they dont have a very good track record when it comes to appointments so far. Ridge at Homeland security, who apparently made America a safer place by instigating a colour-coded fear chart and not a hell of a lot else, lasted less than 2 years; John Negroponte, a man I loathe, who is now Ambassador to Iraq and who was Ambassador to Honduras during the early 80's and a party to covering up human rights atrocities in support of US backed Contra rebels who used Honduras as a host in their bid to oust the Sandanista government of Nicaragua. And of course the US was caught selling arms to Iran to fund the Contras. Great stuff! He's the perfect Yes Man for Iraq, well used to the filth of American foreign policy. Condaleeza Rice, brilliant mind and virgin black pussy who severely lacks any power of presense on the world stage and whose appointment allowed Putin to insert himself into the Middle East peace process, fearmounger for Bush before the Iraq war, I still remember her lurid 'mushroom cloud' imagery even tho Tenent had advised that evidence of Iraqi nuclear capability was weak at best. .. .

Actually this sucks, they are sure to install some bible thumping wanker who'll overturn the right to legal abortion in no time at all.

Its a wild stretch of land
Such a sad place to be
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 6 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 01:13:18 PM)

oh please, the republicans are going to put a woman moderate conserv. up there because they don't want to galvanize their opposition by putting some evangelical on the bench

also, peak oil, Bu$$h suKKs
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Reply 7 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 01:32:34 PM)

That's what I think too, but considering the quality of the administration's appointments to date and the fact that Rummy is still Sec of Defense despite numerous, normally politically lethal gaffs...

Its a wild stretch of land
Such a sad place to be
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Reply 8 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 01:36:20 PM)

Bush has taken so many liberties with his appointments that it wouldn't surprise me if he put Jerry Falwell in a dress and appointed him as the new female justice.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 9 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 01:49:01 PM)

Quoted from Sunny:
How is it any big deal. The leaders of some of the world's largest countries - at the moment - seem to be women. Most were just recently elected?

None of the G8 leaders are women. Who are you talking about?
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 10 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 02:32:07 PM)

The biggest at present would be Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of The Phillippines. Sri Lanka and Ukraine also have female leaders and they're reasonably populated, but really none of those nations are particularly important on the world stage. Ireland. And New Zealand!

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/charts_rest_female-leaders.php

sleep walking through the all-nite drug store
baptized in fluorescent light
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 11 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 03:53:26 PM)

Quoted from Skye:
Bush has taken so many liberties with his appointments that it wouldn't surprise me if he put Jerry Falwell in a dress and appointed him as the new female justice.

What are you talking about? He hasn't appointed anyone yet.
ExtraKryspi
I WHINE ABOUT ASININE SHIT
i like your style kryspi

Ballkicks: (+117 / -63)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 12 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 04:53:01 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from Skye:

What are you talking about? He hasn't appointed anyone yet.
What are you talking about? He hasn't appointed anyone for the Supreme Court yet, but he has appointed many people for lower courts.
e io etterna duro
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 13 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 05:43:10 PM)

Quote:
None of the G8 leaders are women. Who are you talking about?

By 'largest countries' I was referring to population. To name a few:

Indonesia - Former President Megawati Sukarnoputri
Philippines - President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
Bangladesh - Khaleda Zia
China - Vice Premier Wu Yi

As for G8 leaders, what about one of the 21st century Presidents of the European Parliament - Nicole Fontaine? Was she not on the G8 council?
"Oh Joe Cocker"
(you like Joe's Cocker, don't ya?)
"It's up where it belongs."
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 14 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 05:52:31 PM)

STUPID BITCH COULDN'T WAIT THREE MORE YEARS?! UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
stumbling towards 3000
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 15 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 07:56:20 PM)

'At the moment' precludes using Indonesia and Fontaine as examples!

Boot
Canuck Connection, eh?

Look closely, which did you see first? God or the cat?

Ballkicks: (+14 / -5)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
Reply 16 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 08:00:13 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
STUPID BITCH COULDN'T WAIT THREE MORE YEARS?! UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1

You never know Dante maybe someone finally found something in her past or her families past that was going to be published in the Enquirer, and a helping hand just happened to make it disapear ....

In any case enough of the other members will be retiring soon so Bush's replacement should be able to correct a wrong.
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 17 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 08:10:50 PM)

PANIC! The world will end if Republicans rule. Or maybe it will kind of still be the same only we can't kill those annoying brats.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 18 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 09:20:46 PM)

Quote:

You never know Dante maybe someone finally found something in her past or her families past that was going to be published in the Enquirer, and a helping hand just happened to make it disapear ....

you clearly have no idea how the supreme court functions

Quote:
Indonesia - Former President Megawati Sukarnoputri
Philippines - President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
Bangladesh - Khaleda Zia
China - Vice Premier Wu Yi

judging by how well run these countries are i don't think you're helping the case for women out there.

i would be worried about this but i'll trade the right to an abortion if bush gets his act togther on the economic side of things and get privatized social security and starts pushing a national 15% flat tax. i feel bad for my gay friends though, they could be in trouble from this one.
wir hren ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
SmallFry
I think that you should find him on campus and "hawk a loogie" into your hand and then smack him across the face with it

Ballkicks: (+67 / -11)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-01-05 09:43:33 PM)

I was so upset when I found out. We are all fucked.
Pussy Manifesto!
FISHMANPET

Fishmanpet, son of Manbearpig and Girlfishpet

Ballkicks: (+102 / -63)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-02-05 12:55:02 AM)

Quoted from STFU:
oh please, the republicans are going to put a woman moderate conserv. up there because they don't want to galvanize their opposition by putting some evangelical on the bench

also, peak oil, Bu\$\$h suKKs

You mean the opposition isn't galvanized already? He doesn't give a fuck about opposition, because for the most part he doesn't have any opposition. The only way democrats will take back the white house *ever* is if they run a women next time (Hilary Clinton for the win?). Then the country will learn that democrats can lead too. If Republicans keep the white house, we're all fucked, and we should just move to Canada.
the best thing about high school girls... every year im a little older, but every year they stay the same age. - NNY
Get the sand out of your vagina man. - Wild Bill
When Soccy talks about Star Trek, it's cute. For you, it just makes me picture you in an elaborate suit with a plastic "phaser" propositioning young girls at phaser-point. - Dani
What a bunch of idiots Andy. One day, you'll be their boss. - JamesMartigo
FMP writes erotic stories better than anyone else I know. - Socrateius
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 21 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-02-05 01:06:39 AM)

Like this will actually matter in way at all.
www.anus.com

NO MOSH NO CORE NO TRENDS NO FUN
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

Reply 22 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-02-05 01:35:10 AM)

Of course it matters, the Supreme Court has been 5/4 for 20 years or more, with O'Connor the only 'swing' vote, tho she most often gave conservative rulings. The way Americans are allowed to live their lives depends on a single vote and what way it swings. You think overturning Row vs. Wade wont matter at all?

Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 23 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-02-05 05:02:30 AM)

I always thought the US president was more an elected chieftain than a president. It seems like you get absolute power for four years after winning the elections.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 24 of 63 (Originally posted on: 07-02-05 01:12:28 PM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
I always thought the US president was more an elected chieftain than a president. It seems like you get absolute power for four years after winning the elections.

in your first term? maybe
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3297 | Total Posts: 63 ]