Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Dumpster Diving > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3295 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:15:36 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm sure that you're all familiar with that adage -- one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's true!

Dumpster diving is the practice of rummaging through residential or commercial garbage in search of reusable items. You can find almost anything of value that has been discarded -- clothing, computer parts, signage, furniture, knick knacks.

I got really lucky the first time I went diving. My friends and I were driving by a Just For Feet that had just closed down, and my friend Mike (avid dumpster diver, once scored a canoe that retails for $200 in the dumpster of the local warehouse club) told us to pull around the back so that we could see what had been thrown out. We acquired a bunch of brand-named signs (ie: Fila, K-Swiss, Nike, Reebok) and a couple of pairs of spanking new shoes that would have cost us $60-$80 each had we bought them retail.

My first solo outing was yesterday and was purely accidental. I was taking a walk around my neighborhood, and I saw that my neighbors had put out on the curb a bunch of stuff that they weren't able to sell at a garage sale. Most of it was Christmas decorations that I had no use for, but I managed to grab two perfectly good snowsuits. Ok, owning two snowsuits in Miami is a bit ridiculous, but maybe I'll move up north someday. Plus, the jackets fit me perfectly, and I could probably wear them when it gets "chilly" outside.

Do you dumpster dive? Have any good techniques or great places to score some cool stuff?

Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:26:52 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

You've just opened my eyes. I would never have thought of this, considering that the only people to do something remotely similar around here are crazy old men who think they're still living in the suburbs of post-war Madrid.

I'm willing to sit quietly and learn from you folks.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
DemonTed
BANG!!*thud*

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+31 / -8)
Reg. Date: Mar 2005
Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:27:13 PM)

I used to dumpster dive with my friends back in high school. We used to scour the city looking for bike parts. We would take what we found and try to build one whole bike.
Some of the bikes we built got to be pretty awesome looking. Others would be scary just sitting in them.
I remember one we built that got my friend his first "pedestrian" speeding ticket. He had gotten the bike up to around 60 mph and was pulled over. The officer charged him with the full dollar amount, some $40 at the time. Anyway, the ticket was thrown out when the judge heard we had built the bike from junk. I had a fun childhood.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:31:25 PM)

i dont fullout dumpster dive, but if i see something cool lying out with the trash ill grab it. or anything cool i find lying around really. i have a few signs decorating my room, and back when i lived with my folks i had a ton of shit. ill salvage any old computers or computer parts i find lying around, even if im sure ill just throw them out again soon.
If you dont like me well leave me alone.

I'll eat when im hungry, I'll drink when dry.

If the moonshine dont kill me I'll live till I die.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:32:31 PM)

Not exactly, but after everybody moved out of residence alot of people left shit behind. I scored some sweet posters out it.
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:51:44 PM)

Considering I love things like garage sales and flea markets, it seems like this would be good thing for me. Maybe I can get some of my buds to do this with me sometime, or if something closes down we can pop by.
Kitabatake: My anal sex spider senses are tingling.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 01:11:29 PM)

End of the university school year can be a super good time. Many students in residence and in apartments will toss out just about anything. I have picked up everything from hockey equipent to big chairs, couches and dishes and appliances because no one wanted to take it home with them.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 01:31:45 PM)

My favorite places to go dumpster 'digging' as we call it around here is Barnes &\ Noble and This one stretch of stores that includes Sam Goody, The Dollar Tree, Sallys, AT&\T Wireless, CiCi's and some mens suit store.

I would share some detailed stories but you people seem a little dis-interested in what I have to say most of the time.
'Damnit I hate that blue sweater!...Damnit she's right!'
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 01:57:35 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
My favorite places to go dumpster 'digging' as we call it around here is Barnes &\\ Noble and This one stretch of stores that includes Sam Goody, The Dollar Tree, Sallys, AT&\\T Wireless, CiCi's and some mens suit store.

I would share some detailed stories but you people seem a little dis-interested in what I have to say most of the time.

whatever man

I often go dumpster diving. It has earned me 2 working TVs, an amazing blue sofa and tons of assorted goods (:cashmoneyi'm a serial-killer :)
imperialist itt
Sixten Sparre
pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:26:17 PM)

When i was in prauge some years ago, we threw some french fries in the garbage, and some bum came and took it, holy shit i laughed so much
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 03:28:03 PM)

I take stuff from the "swap meet" area at the dump all the time, but never clothes or anything.

Mostly just old albums, and books.
"There are only two things that I believe to be infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 06:01:24 PM)

I've mostly only heard dumpster-diving discussed in the context of food. But yeah, some of my friends dumpster a lot.
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 06:58:00 PM)

sorry zippo it'll take more than this to bring FA back *sigh*
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 11:33:08 PM)

I've definitely brought home old junk before; it can be a lot of fun. I would not go near any garbage that contained regular household waste and food waste though, more or less just the kind of things that people leave by the side of the road during Spring cleanup.

Dump and Run is fun to steal from too. At university you could leave stuff by the res door to go into a charity yard sale, and if you took from it, pretty much everything was in good condition.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 12:48:40 AM)

Yeah the end of school year ditch your junk time is great, our school has a thing called Dump and Run where you can just stick all the stuff you don't want anymore in one of many boxes, and those boxes lay around campus for awhile, and then the first week of May they have a giant yard sale type thing and sell off everything that was left.

I've scored books, CD jewel cases, a laundry rack, clothes hangers, and the piece de resistance was a red David & Goliath t-shirt that still had the tags and everything.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 06:13:11 AM)

The best places I've found are Best Buy, and Radio Shack. Depending where you're going they might lock the dumpster so it helps to find an in (and employee who will leave it unlocked). You can find hard drives, outdated video cards, and such. My friend who worked at best buy said people would have their drives get corrupted, freak out, and have the drive replaced, and the employees aren't allowed to keep the replaced drive so they had to throw them away.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 04:45:24 PM)

Quoted from mmac:
The best places I've found are Best Buy, and Radio Shack. Depending where you're going they might lock the dumpster so it helps to find an in (and employee who will leave it unlocked). You can find hard drives, outdated video cards, and such. My friend who worked at best buy said people would have their drives get corrupted, freak out, and have the drive replaced, and the employees aren't allowed to keep the replaced drive so they had to throw them away.

I've always found that to be ridiculous how retail outlets will throw things away before they allow someone else to make use of them. The same goes with grocery stores and fast food places that prepare food, and the left-overs that are perfectly good at the end of the day all go intil a huge wastebasket, and if and employees trying to take the perfectly good food that is to be thrown away, they could get fired.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-30-05 09:33:58 AM)

I used to go with my brother all the time when I was little, but have grown out of it. People make their entire living out of doing it, which I think is great. On a related note, if you're interested in Dumpster Diving, I'd suggest that you read "Dumpster Diving" by Lars Eighner. It's a pretty good piece.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-30-05 09:49:19 AM)

Quoted from Coca-Cola:
Quoted from mmac:

I've always found that to be ridiculous how retail outlets will throw things away before they allow someone else to make use of them. The same goes with grocery stores and fast food places that prepare food, and the left-overs that are perfectly good at the end of the day all go intil a huge wastebasket, and if and employees trying to take the perfectly good food that is to be thrown away, they could get fired.

The food thing is due mostly to health regulations. Theoretically you can eat it after that point, but the stores can't sell it after that point because it's not fresh and they can't risk a customer getting sick from eating something past the selling date.
Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-30-05 10:03:39 AM)

Last summer I was planning a big softball picnic and bought a bunch of food from the local warehouse club. But then we had the string of hurricanes, and I simply didn't have enough space to store the food until a later date nor would I have been able to eat it all so I had no choice but to return it. They literally just tossed $200 worth of perfectly good food (frozen hamburger patties, hot dogs, buns, cheese) into the garbage can right after they scanned it for my refund. It was really hard to watch.
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
meow mix
INTL Premium Member

who the fuck are you

Ballkicks: (+14 / -3)
Reg. Date: Mar 2005
Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 04-30-05 08:57:56 PM)

As a former security guard at Sam's Club, I know very well how much they throw away. It's sad, but by far the worst offender is the US government. We (enlisted US military) see so much waste, it's mind-boggling. Apparently, no matter what, this particular problem refuses to go away.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 03:20:42 AM)

Do you not find dumpster diving kinda degrading?
Agon
Vodka and Lip Gloss
INTL Best Dressed List

when i finish my cut in a few months i'll show you my shiny new abs.

Ballkicks: (+322 / -63)
Reg. Date: Jul 2004
Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 01:53:22 PM)

Quoted from Scarlet:

Only if you're a moron who hates free things.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 01:55:58 PM)

Quoted from Agon:
Quoted from Scarlet:

Only if you're a moron who hates free things.

Some free things aren't cool though ... If I were to post you my shit, would you treasure it?
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 03:27:52 PM)

No, but if you were to post a $100 pair of shoes you found, we would.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3295 | Total Posts: 40 ]