Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Information about both INTL3 and INTL4. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 4152 | Total Posts: 52 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 04-25-05 05:10:25 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

INTL3, the current version of the INTL forum code, has been, is now, and will continue to be in a closed state of development.

What does this mean?

It means that I will no longer be working on developing features and code for INTL3.

Why would I do that?

I am working on a new version of the forum code, INTL4, which will be replacing INTL3 in the future (probably at least a year, since I still have 8 months left in Iraq). All resources I have for developing the site have been diverted to developing the new code to make it the best code I can possibly make it.

Why will it take so long to release INTL4?

I am currently stationed in Iraq, as most of you know, so that makes it increasingly difficult to maintain forum code on a server that I can't even maintain on a regular basis.

Then how are you working on INTL4?

I have a laptop that has Apache, PHP, MySQL, and an antiquated copy of the INTL3 database, which I'm molding into the new INTL4 database. This allows me to work on new code for INTL4 without it actually being on the Internet. I can just run the Apache webserver on my laptop and I am able to develop the code in a localized environment.

So what are the benefits to this all?

Time. I have eight months left in Iraq and Iraq is boring as fuck. This gives me the perfect opportunity to dedicate what free time I have to nothing but the development of INTL4 to make it as fast and efficient as I can possibly make it. On the same token, since I am developing it on a laptop, which is significantly slower than the INTL server, whatever load times I get on the laptop will only be faster when the code is implemented on the server. Essentially, I am developing the code on a slower system, which will ensure that the code runs smoother, better, and faster on higher end servers.

What are my plans for the future?

A lot can change over the course of the next year, so anything I say right now is merely speculation on what I'd like to occur when it's time to switch the versions over. However, here is a tentative plan that I'd like to go into action.

Phase 1: Conceptual design and code/database development. (Present - February 2006)
Phase 2: Complete documentation (time frame: February 2006 - April 2006)
Phase 3: Stress-testing and closed beta testing for selected volunteers (April 2006 - June 2006)
Phase 4: Official version changeover and public scrutiny (June 2006)
Phase 5: Continued modification and improvement to code and design, along with creation of multiple designs of the site. (June 2006 - THE FUTURE)

Things to note about INTL4:

* Will be template/skin-based
This will allow for more flexible and dynamic layouts for the forum, administrators will only be allowed to modify the template/skin

* May or may not have a user-editable cascading stylesheet (CSS) design editor
This will allow for users to modify their own color schemes, but not change the layout in any fashion

* Will load a hell of a lot faster than INTL3
This will be done by paying close attention to redundancies in the code and eliminating superfluous code from being executed without being referenced within a particular script, thus reducing unnecessary overhead... basically, only code that is necessary for the script to work will be executed

* Will support nested forum structures
This means that sub-forums will be able to exist within existing forums. For example: it would be possible to set "The Retarded Hall of Fame" as a subforum to "The Hall of Fame", so that when viewing the main index page, you see "The Hall of Fame" listed and upon entering that forum, are presented with the subforum, "The Retarded Hall of Fame"

* Will have a sleek and more professional layout
Some of you may not like this, but it's necessary. For those of you who may end up feeling nostalgic, there will likely be a "Classic INTL" layout to choose from when it comes out

Aside from those changes and improvements, most of the changes in INTL4 will revolve primarily around coding improvements, visual design, additional administrator options and controls, and being able to take time to think about the best possible way to approach the code to make it as fast and efficient as possible.
BAH HUMBUG
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 1 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:03:10 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Wow that all sounds pretty cool, I'll be looking forward to the new site. Good luck with all the coding and testing phases!
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 2 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:04:41 PM)

Shouldn't this be in Public Service Announcements? ADMIN IS WATCHING YOU!!!
imperialist itt
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 3 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:19:37 PM)

No, because no new announcements are posted directly there. It works like the HOF, so to speak.

As for INTL4, it sounds good. Of course many people, probably including me, won't like the new layout/skin no matter how it looks, but we'll get used to it.
"Hwt, he on a tid e he inne bi, ne bi hrinen mid y storme s wintres; ac t bi an eagan bryhtm and t lste fc, ac he sona of wintre on one winter eft cyme hwt r foregange, oe hwt r fylige, we ne cunnen."
"Lo, he, in the time that he is inside, is not touched by the storm of the winter, but that is an eye's winking and the least time, but he straightway comes back from winter into winter, what thereto may precede or what to it may follow, we do not know."
Imperialist

Reply 4 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 12:48:47 PM)

Ah, yes. Still, it should probably be put in a more frequently visited forum.

INTL4 sounds nice, but the wait is quite long. You should fake your death and return to USA.

edit: coal
imperialist itt
This reply was last edited on 04-25-05 02:43:59 PM by Imperialist.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 5 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:45:06 PM)

I don't know much about coding, but is there any way you could add a kind of 'open source' aspect to the RS layout? It could be really interesting.
"There are only two things that I believe to be infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Imperialist

Reply 6 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:47:32 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
I don't know much about coding, but is there any way you could add a kind of 'open source' aspect to the RS layout? It could be really interesting.

More like allow premium members to post midi files in RS.
imperialist itt
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 7 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:48:42 PM)

Sounds like it'll be well worth the wait. Keep on keepin on or whatever the young folk say nowadays.
You realize the sun doesn't go down-it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round.
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 8 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:49:57 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Nope. Getting to override the color scheme via CSS will be enough. Being able to directly modify the template/skin would be suicide from an administration standpoint.
BAH HUMBUG
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 9 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 02:50:04 PM)

Quoted from Imperialist:
Quoted from Dante:

More like allow premium members to post midi files in RS.
Yeah, and I was thinking also allowing some people to post their own banners, and just kind of mess around a bit. Make it a little more retarded.
"There are only two things that I believe to be infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 10 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 03:08:48 PM)

I really like the layout of RS right now. By this, of course, I mean the good parts of it, like having all of the buttons in one line and a small header image. I think that, with some modification, it could work really well as the layout for a whole forum.

How's Iraq, besides boring? What do you normally do in a day? You're like some kind of radio repair guy, or something like that, right? Make any new friends?
peach
I get enamoured

Just call me "Mom"

Ballkicks: (+735 / -175)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 11 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 03:29:49 PM)

What if the banners for RS were on the same system that the gallery is on, where someone can approve of images that forumers submit to be a banner for RS?
Kitabatake: My anal sex spider senses are tingling.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 12 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-25-05 07:37:59 PM)

When the switch from 3 to 4 takes place will the arcade high scores be reset?
'Damnit I hate that blue sweater!...Damnit she's right!'
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 13 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 04:06:31 AM)

Does it still look like that teaser you posted a while back or did you scrap that completely...I kind of liked it.

Oh God...I'll still be here when I'm 30 won't I?
If I can bludgeon a hooker to death and burry her in the desert, I sure as shit can punch a little girl and steal her shoes.
mmac
INTL Premium Member
it's INTL, not the fucking UN - Amphy

3ms will rise again

Ballkicks: (+254 / -35)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 14 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 07:24:10 AM)

Whenever you can post some screenshots, I'd be really interested.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 15 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 11:27:06 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
Oh God...I'll still be here when I'm 30 won't I?
Probably when you're 50.
- Albert Einstein
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 16 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 01:48:26 PM)

I won't live that long
If I can bludgeon a hooker to death and burry her in the desert, I sure as shit can punch a little girl and steal her shoes.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 17 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-26-05 02:31:55 PM)

You'll live forever in our hearts.
You realize the sun doesn't go down-it's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 18 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-27-05 07:12:41 AM)

Can there be another section of messages called 'Public Messages' that anyone with an account can access?
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 19 of 52 (Originally posted on: 04-27-05 11:54:17 AM)

Quoted from William Wilson:
Can there be another section of messages called 'Public Messages' that anyone with an account can access?
Isn't that just a forum?
- Albert Einstein
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 20 of 52 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 03:27:40 AM)

What about a "Now Playing" script so people can see what other forumers are listening to? ...

Heh, An INTL Web-Radio station would be really cool too!
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 21 of 52 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 02:03:48 PM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
What about a "Now Playing" script so people can see what other forumers are listening to? ...

That was tried at one point, if I remember correctly.
It was neat, but didn't last too long.
Scarlet
Woah

Skank

Ballkicks: (+82 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2005
Reply 22 of 52 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 02:06:35 PM)

Quoted from Adam:
Quoted from Scarlet:

Which one, the "Now Playing" or Radio station?
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reply 23 of 52 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 02:14:27 PM)

Quoted from Scarlet:
Quoted from Adam:
Quoted from Scarlet:

Which one, the "Now Playing" or Radio station?

An INTL Web Radio Station.
goatsnacks
Administrators

Reply 24 of 52 (Originally posted on: 05-01-05 04:07:24 PM)

If you know anything about internet radio you know it cost way too much to do. Well, unless its done crapfully. If its the read deal then you've got some major bandwidth to push.

Can premium accounts include name changes? I know that could insinuate chaos, but if you kept a users original username perhaps on their profile page then I think that would be keen.

I'd pay to be able to change my name like I can custom titles.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4152 | Total Posts: 52 ]