Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Acheron's Helpful Newbie Guide! > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2750 | Total Posts: 36 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Acheron
INTL Premium Member
If I die in Raleigh, at least I will die free.

is this guy acheron???????? hahaha acheron you big fag

Ballkicks: (+224 / -116)
Reg. Date: Mar 2004
(Originally posted on: 04-21-05 06:45:55 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Hey Newbies! I've noticed that most of you have had trouble figuring this place out. So rather than put up with incessant stupidity, I decided to post a guide to help you acclimate yourselves to the world of INTL. There are a few things that most of you havenít picked up on, even if you have read the faq, WHICH I ASSUME IS NONE OF YOU.

What right to I have to give you advice? Well none really, BUT! As I write this, my Karma is +38/-61. If you subtract the negative Karma I got from ridiculously stupid posts in my newbie days, my karma comes out at +38/-37. If I had actually made good posts instead of stupid ones, we could assume that my positive Karma would be significantly higher.

What gives me the right to post this is thus: Some of the mistakes Iím going to go over, are mistakes that I have made in the past. Iíve suffered the negative Karma, and if youíre smart, you wont have to.

So, take my advice, or donít. While ignorance is a curable affliction, stupid is forever.

Once Iím done, the other members of INTL might post a few suggestions of their own. Additions, or apendices to the guide if you will. That or insult me mercilessly. Ingrates.

Karma is Important First off, many of you think that Karma isnít important. In the grand scheme of things, karma will matter about this || much. However, as far as the world of INTL is concerned, it is moderately important, because it does determine basic reactions to you.

Our opinions do matter. If someone shoots you down, and you get the urge to post a "YEAH? WELL UR OPINION DOSINT MATTER CAUSE IM RITE OK?!!!111ONE" then dont post. Ever again. If your going to post your opinion to a marketplace of ideas, and then bitch when your idea is proven to be infintile and stupid, then you've got no place in an open forum.

Donít be stupid. If someone insults you, try coming back with a cutting insult, or some kind of funny remark; preferably something that fits your personality. If the words ďFuck you!Ē or ďShut up asshat, go away!Ē are all you can think of, then choosing to ignore the comments will probably be better than making an idiot of yourself. Making such comments will cause hilarity to ensueÖ at your expense. Your Karmaís expense tooÖ

This isnít high school. Despite the fact that many of our members are, in fact, attending high school, this place is not run like a high school. Sandamnit is not the evil, dictatorial, sex-deprived principal that everyone hates, and the moderators arenít fascist staff members. Despite the fact that INTL is not a democracy, we like the admin. Some of our members have actually achieved full adulthood, and are pursuing rewarding careers, such as the military, computer science, and prostitution. If you listen hard, and arenít a dumbass, you too can become successful members of society, just like us.

Spelling and Sentence structure REALLY DO MATTER. I know this was in the FAQ, but a few of you idjits obviously arenít reading it. If you have a word processor with a grammar/spellcheck on it, use it. Type your posts into Microsoft Word, and then copy/paste them into the forum window. This will generate a lot of respect for you, especially if you think coming from Missouri is a reason to be illiterate. Well, it wonít generate respect, but it will keep you from losing it.

Donít make an ass of yourself in B-B. Unless we know who you are, itís not wise to treat bitching battleground as a swear/flame-a-thon. Not only is flaming relatively pointless, but unless youíve earned the right to flame people by being witty, and becoming accepted large numbers of people might start flaming back. Or worse, adding you to the "Ignore" list.

The Mods are right. The moderators are usually moderators because theyíre well liked by most people on INTL. I know taking shots at the man in charge seems like fun, but it can get you permanently banned from INTL. What I do know is that Sandy is in Mosul, and Vervet is eye deep in Ivy League level schoolwork. If one of them attacks you for something, youíre probably wrong, theyíre probably right, and it's probably a bad idea to be an asshole to them, since one is in one of the most stressful situations any human could ever go through, and the other is in combat.

Having sex with moderators, and then having a very messy breakup is not recommended; Especially if you were the asshole in the situation. This has the tendency to cause lots of drama, and cause you to be resented by certain groups of people. I never got the opportunity to make this mistake, though I did see what went down when a mistake like this was made. It wasnít pretty.

You are not witty. I donít care if you make everyone at lunch laugh. I donít care if youíre Chris Rock. I donít care if you're Smokeyís Illegitimate love child. Until INTL has gotten to know your personality, we wonít notice if youíre joking, being sarcastic, being hilariously stupid, etc. because we donít know what a normal post from you sounds like, so weíve got no standard against which to judge your humor. Try being normal, and posting well thought out, intellectual statements. That way, when you start joking, weíll realize that it actually is a joke. We might even think itís funny.

Iím sure there are many things that Iíve missed. A good thing to do now would be to READ THE GODDAMNED FAQ; BECAUSE SANDAMNIT DIDNíT PUT ALL THAT WORK INTO IT FOR NOTHING YOU UNGREATFUL SCUMBAGS. [/whoring]
Depriving a villiage somewhere of its idiot.
http://www.torgo.org/torgo/ <-- OMFG!!1
Sixten Sparre
…pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 06:54:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

that was lame

It's like reading the sa frontpage
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 2 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 06:57:00 PM)

I attempted to do it without trolling or flaming, Surt. So quite a bit of lameness would be there. I'm just tired of the latest influx of idiots.

Edit: That.. and I kind of like the SA main page...
This reply was last edited on 04-21-05 07:04:30 PM by Acheron.
Snowy
INTL Premium Member

i always try to make a statement with my fashion...thats why today i wore a crop top with a pic of richard nixon captioned: growl at sweat

Ballkicks: (+899 / -313)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 3 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:11:16 PM)

Damnit, I was planning on flying over and fucking Mingan's brains out until I tired of his perky pillow talk and then moving on to the next outrageously handsome Euro I could get my thighs on. Are you saying this would be bad for my karma? I guess i'll have to weigh the potential for forummer scorn against the great cardiovascular workouts that would ensue.
Living down in this rain swept town
Sea salt tears swimmin' round
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 4 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:13:10 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
Damnit, I was planning on flying over and fucking Mingan's brains out until I tired of his perky pillow talk and then moving on to the next outrageously handsome Euro I could get my thighs on. Are you saying this would be bad for my karma?

No. Not at all.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 5 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:21:38 PM)

Torgo thats too many words.MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
If trees were penisses then the earth would have like, a bazillion penisses.
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 6 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:32:13 PM)

Too long for newbies? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:38:21 PM)

who cares about what you say
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 8 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:38:32 PM)

Quote:
However, as far as the world of INTL is concerned, it is moderately important, because it does determine basic reactions to you.

This is why it doesn't look very impressive when a guy with +38/-61 writes a big guide lecturing newbies on how to post properly.

Quote:
the next outrageously handsome Euro

Hey guys i think she's talking about me.
DRAHNIER
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 9 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 07:56:51 PM)

the second i saw this thread and who it was by, it instantly thought 'hall of shame'
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 10 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 08:01:29 PM)

Drah, Most of that negative Karma is from making stupid mistakes as a newbie. Hence, having gotten a significant amount of negative karma for being stupid, I am in a position to understand what kind of posts get negative karma. This is mostly a "Don't make my stupid mistakes." thread.

Make sense?
Mingan
INTL Alumni
Mmm Skyscraper I Love You

Why are we having this wedding? because Abraham Lincoln, of course!

Ballkicks: (+637 / -48)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 08:08:43 PM)

Quoted from Snowy:
Damnit, I was planning on flying over and fucking Mingan's brains out
yes.
biep biepbiep biiiiep
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 12 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 08:46:25 PM)

Quote:
Drah, Most of that negative Karma is from making stupid mistakes as a newbie. Hence, having gotten a significant amount of negative karma for being stupid, I am in a position to understand what kind of posts get negative karma. This is mostly a "Don't make my stupid mistakes." thread.

Make sense?

Well sure, but your karma suggests that you've made far more unpopular posts than popular ones during your time here, and that you still haven't managed to make enough good posts to catch up with all that bad karma you got as a newbie.

So if karma does determine peoples reactions to you, like you said it does, then surely someone like you making a thread like this will look really bad to most of the people here.

That's all.
DRAHNIER
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 13 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 08:54:30 PM)

Quoted from Drahnier:
Quote:

Make sense?

Well sure, but your karma suggests that you've made far more unpopular posts than popular ones during your time here, and that you still haven't managed to make enough good posts to catch up with all that bad karma you got as a newbie.

So if karma does determine peoples reactions to you, like you said it does, then surely someone like you making a thread like this will look really bad to most of the people here.

That's all.

While that's a very, very good point, I don't think I posted anything outlandish or rediculous in the guide... did I? I mean, if there's a significant problem with this other than the fact that it's me that posted it, tell me.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 14 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 08:58:30 PM)

Quoted from torgo:
While that's a very, very good point, I don't think I posted anything outlandish or rediculous in the guide... did I? I mean, if there's a significant problem with this other than the fact that it's me that posted it, tell me.

Quoted from goatstack:

If trees were penisses then the earth would have like, a bazillion penisses.
drahnier
INTL VIP

Reply 15 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 09:00:51 PM)

Quote:

No, the content is alright, and i don't mind you posting it either.
DRAHNIER
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 16 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 09:07:55 PM)

Quoted from goatstack:
Quoted from torgo:

Quoted from goatstack:

big grin +k in two days. Remind me.

Quoted from Drahnier:
Quote:

No, the content is alright, and i don't mind you posting it either.

Thanks for the advice, man. Your points make sense...
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 17 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:14:43 PM)

I still like Smokey's idea for a thread where we give shitty newbies negative karma.

If they are any good they will make it through the gauntlet.
"There are only two things that I believe to be infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:27:11 PM)

Quoted from Mingan:
Quoted from Snowy:
Damnit, I was planning on flying over and fucking Mingan's brains out
yes.

I'll be the one holding the camera.
Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 19 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:31:08 PM)

If Sandamnit had made this thread then it would be witty.
Roger

Ballkicks: (+8 / -2)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 20 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:35:20 PM)

Isn't there already a thread like this around here somewhere?

EDIT: http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/display.php?tid=2239
Muzta
Lord of the Dance
Negative Association was the name of my hot tub

Ballkicks: (+140 / -19)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 21 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:45:18 PM)

Look at my Karma

then try and tell my karma means anything....I mean come on?
40/15?

I'm not that good by a long shot
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+457 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 22 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:46:15 PM)

Wait so are you trying to replace FA or what?
Acheron
INTL Premium Member

Reply 23 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:47:07 PM)

Quoted from Roger:
Isn't there already a thread like this around here somewhere?

EDIT: http://forums.interestingnonetheless.net/display.php?tid=2239

... Owned. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

LBH:

Nope, not trying to be FA. Didn't know that thread existed.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 24 of 36 (Originally posted on: 04-21-05 10:47:35 PM)

I don't advocate this thread and I am HOS'ing it to avoid confusing any newbies in the future who are probably already confused enough.
bradism.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2750 | Total Posts: 36 ]