Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Slipknot > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3728 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Come to my car. I have candy.

Ballkicks: (+69 / -35)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
(Originally posted on: 02-18-05 08:08:47 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

How many people here have heard Slipknot? If so, do you like them, hate them, and tell me why!

I liked them ever since I heard Duality from their third CD. After that I started listening to their older stuff like Wait and Bleed and Left Behind. So far, my favorite song of theirs is Wait and Bleed.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 08:53:43 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

you really need to listen to better music.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 10:08:10 PM)

Ever heard the quote "One man's treasure is another man's trash"?

Same thing. If you don't like this kind of music, or don't see it for what it is, ok. I happen to like it, as do millions of others.
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 10:09:10 PM)

I am one of the few metalheads I know who didn't get into Metal through nu bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, etc. I consider myself lucky.
|||=|__
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 10:40:05 PM)

Slipknot is pretty terrible by any standards.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 10:44:23 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
Slipknot is pretty terrible by any standards.

Might I ask thee why?
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 10:49:24 PM)

Quote:
Same thing. If you don't like this kind of music, or don't see it for what it is, ok. I happen to like it, as do millions of others.

I am an avid metal fan. I understand Slipknot probably a lot better than you can. Slipknot is stupid dissonant rock music with angry lyrics and a retarded image. they aren't metal. they aren't original in their compositions, nor in their lyrical matter. they are shit.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:02:35 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Quote:

I understand Slipknot probably a lot better than you can. .

Don't condescend.
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:05:07 PM)

I'll condescend when needed. Shut the fuck up.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:11:11 PM)

Quoted from Bon:

I don't want to start a flame war with you. Just don't be asinine.

If you hate Slipknot so much, what kind of metal do you like?
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:15:44 PM)

I like Death and Black Metal.

You like rock music, not metal.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:20:48 PM)

Ozzy Osbourne I like a lot, same for most of the other bands people would consider hard rock.

I like most other genres of music except for country and something called "new wave". Some goth thing, most likely.

Ever heard of Cradle of Filth or Disturbed?

Quoted from Bon:
You like rock music, not metal.

?
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:23:52 PM)

Put that stuff away. Ozzy Osbourne was never good alone, and Black Sabbath was okay. Listen to Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:28:03 PM)

Quoted from Bon:
Put that stuff away. Ozzy Osbourne was never good alone, and Black Sabbath was okay. Listen to Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel.

I heard Suffocation and Maze of Torment by Morbid Angel not too long ago. I thought they were pretty good. Didn't they come out with Altars of Madness in the '80s or something?
Bon

Village Idiot

Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:31:43 PM)

Yes they did. Their first 2-3 albums I consider the best music made by people with guitars and drums.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:34:55 PM)

I'll have to listen to them again. My brother is a big fan of early metal and has most of the older bands covers and best albums.
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 12:35:54 AM)

I think I could get along very well with this Bon fellow.
|||=|__
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 12:42:55 AM)

House is the only music in the world!
Nickolati
...moved to Idaho?

the cumstain that is left on the wall 11 years after the party has ended

Ballkicks: (+611 / -61)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 09:57:00 AM)

There are so many different sub metal genres.

Slipknot I would consider more nu-metal, although they are definitely the better of the nu-metal.

Metal would be stuff like Amorphis, Children of Bodom, and In Flames.

Black Metal consists of stuff like Zyklon.

I am much more into hardcore than metal, but that is my take on the debate.
"She had dyed red hair, a forest green dress, and a pair of kitchen knives. She was the last time I ever saw a rose."

"We all have the same thing. One lifetime.
PR
INTL Alumni
oh

Bassists never get no love, man.

Ballkicks: (+486 / -101)
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 11:55:47 AM)

Slipknot is fucking good, I don't care what bon's crappy opinions say. The drummer, regardless of what people say, is fast as shit and talented. The guitarists are tight and some of the shapes and patterns they use for sweeps on the third CD are impressive, especially for this style of music.

Plus they're heavy as balls and have ridiculous breakdowns.

Combine all that with a live show that rivals Gwar for strange asthetics and energy, and you've got a fun time.

Who cares about the masks? Being hung up on the fact that they wear masks and dress funny is like being hung up on the fact that Norwegian bands wear corpse paint and carry around axes while talking about Satan. At least Slipknot's appealed to a demographic that allows them to be rich as shit.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 12:23:27 PM)

Quoted from PsychoRabbit:
At least Slipknot's appealed to a demographic that allows them to be rich as shit.

I don't have any other real comment than this... I don't personally like Slipknot. In fact, I don't even cross into metal or heavy rock pretty much ever.

But this! This appealing to a demographic of suburban white teenagers is not something that I really respect that much. I find that they have the most money to squander on music but the least taste. Appealing to a group of people with very little musical knowledge does not seem to me to be a strong point on the part of a band.

However, considering my respect for PR and HIS musical knowledge, who am I to say?
That's about when I met nelly, she was the village belle.
I was just a panderer, but I loved that girl like hell.

Then along came a city slicker, all finely dressed and gay.
Before I knew it, the son of a bitch stole my nelly away.

So I'm just resting my bones a while, and then I'll be on my way.
I'll get the runt that swiped my cunt if it takes till the judgement day.
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 01:09:12 PM)

Quoted from PsychoRabbit:
Slipknot is fucking good The drummer, regardless of what people say, is fast as shit and talented. The guitarists are tight and some of the shapes and patterns they use for sweeps on the third CD are impressive, especially for this style of music.

Plus they're heavy as balls and have ridiculous breakdowns.

Combine all that with a live show that rivals Gwar for strange asthetics and energy, and you've got a fun time.

Who cares about the masks? Being hung up on the fact that they wear masks and dress funny is like being hung up on the fact that Norwegian bands wear corpse paint and carry around axes while talking about Satan. At least Slipknot's appealed to a demographic that allows them to be rich as shit.

Exactly.

They have great stage presence as well. You can't ignore Corey Taylor's vocals at all, nor can you tune out Jordison's bass and snare. They're all insane, but at least they know how to make a good disc and make people rock out. After I listen to them, I always feel amped up and ready to go, no matter what. Energetic AND talented. We need more bands like that.

And about the masks, they're just making a statement about themselves without words. Those masks are self-made and are pretty symbolic and change as the band matures. Take Joey Jordison for example; the reason he wears his Kabuki (theatrical Japanese) mask is because it's solid patterns and austere expression suit his personality well, and if you listen to him talk, its true. Just thought I'd add that.

They are also closer, I think, to early metal than most people suspect. But thats another story. What matters is that they are fucking good and as long as they keep pumping out music that lives up to their older CDs, people will continue to listen and have a good time.
This reply was last edited on 02-19-05 01:14:42 PM by Khelben.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 04:24:05 PM)

I am not going to follow the general rule that this band sucks mearly due to it's weirdness and my lack of exposure to their music.

I have never really listened to them.

However, the shallow judgements that I have made about Slipknot have definately lead me to believe that they are not my type of band.
LEGISLATION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 04:36:30 PM)

Quote:
They are also closer, I think, to early metal than most people suspect. But thats another story.

Do continue, oh master of rock! I'd love to see where you go with this!

Quote:
Ever heard of Cradle of Filth or Disturbed?

btw thanks for tipping me off about these underground underappreciated unknown bands i have not noticed their music videos on mtv or their hot singles on the radio or the multitudes of dumbfucks wearing their t shirts
It lay on the snow with red spots of blood on its fur, and there were drops of red blood on the snow.
Tazzo
teh TEH evar EVAR funnay FUNNAY :rolleyes:

When a couple of kids who were up to good started making trouble in my neighborhood

Ballkicks: (+668 / -110)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 02-19-05 06:33:07 PM)

Quoted from Bon:

Hey mister elitist black metal nerd, quit that, that's the game I used to play and it's for losers! People are going to listen to crummy trashy metal, and music in general, and there's nothing you can do about that. "You need to listen to better music" - what, like what you listen to or approve of? That's not cool man! vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

That said, I personally think Slipknot are awful, but they certainly do get a lot of kids into more "extreme" music so it ain't all bad imho.

Quoted from Nickolati:

Black Metal consists of stuff like Zyklon.

Zyklon isn't black metal, duder. Sure, Samoth from Emperor is in the band, but that doesn't make them black metal by a long shot. His old project Zyklon-B however was black metal. It was really bad too though!

Second edit: Bon, didn't you start listening to BM only fairly recently? I seem to recall talking on AIM about it not TOO long ago...

Third edit: man, I can't keep away from metal threads, even though I rarely listen to it any more.
This reply was last edited on 02-19-05 06:39:48 PM by Tazzo.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3728 | Total Posts: 40 ]