Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > What was your First Impression of INTL? > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] [ Thread Views: 6767 | Total Posts: 95 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
(Originally posted on: 02-17-05 09:20:20 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

If you can remember back that far, in your first few weeks, what did you think of this place? What immediate conclusions did you make about the people that post here? How did you fit in?

Also, were your original assumptions accurate, or do you have a different idea of what INTL is now that you've been here for a while?

- - -

I had never been on another message board before this one, so I walked right in and signed up completely blind to this kind of world. I started off by making threads asking for advice on very personal issues, and I expected professional, concise, and serious answers. What I actually got was a lot of negative karma, and I can now see why I made such a stupid newbie.

But then later I learned that what I was posting wasn't so bad, it was just my way of going about it. So my views of this place and the way I interacted with it changed in a sense. Now I just wonder if anyone else got as big a shock as I did, a lot of you already being seasoned at other message boards, and not being totally new to this kind of online interaction like I was.
digit
INTL Premium Member
brown shoes don't make it

Sharkbite

Ballkicks: (+49 / -12)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 1 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 09:30:56 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I guess the first thing i thought was 'so this is where amelia's been.'
"All I wanted was a second honeymoon, and now the floor is made of lava."
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 2 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 09:45:15 PM)

"Oh my God, these people are fucking weird."
Hasn't changed.
I remember posting once and getting -1 and I ran back to the world of livejournal and expressed my fears. Then I kept posting and that changed. I was proud of myself, because this is my first and pretty much only forum(unless you count http://www.wmwc.org/forum/, which all DJs are forced to join and post in).
animatedcardigan: WILL YOU BE MY VALENTINE
VervetPaw: YES
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reply 3 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 09:48:11 PM)

I thought and still do, some people take INTL a little too serious at times.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 4 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:05:58 PM)

i thought it was pretty cool like a better version of hg with less rules and i knew everyone so i was set.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 5 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:33:32 PM)

It seemed like a new IGOD, except that unlike Emp, Jeff wouldn't be joining in the E-Penis extensions the other core folk loved so much.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 6 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:42:32 PM)

I just remember the -k, and my bad grammar. Occasionally I still have my run-ins with both.
you guess who, its a mystery!
swiss
Alcoholics Anonymous

And I tip my hat to YOU, Swiss.

Ballkicks: (+205 / -13)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 7 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:43:28 PM)

I wondered why in God's name (ironic, no?) Dani brought me here.

Then I realised it could be funny at times and was more lighthearted than spsw. Then I came to realise that there were many people here that I knew from spsw and such.

It's been a good place with good times. I suppose that's why I've kinda come back.

It still seems familiarly hostile to idiots... and I like that.
Even as you slit my throat, I'd apologise for bleeding on your dress...
corkster
Witness Protection Program
Corkster is winner!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+83 / -39)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 8 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:55:41 PM)

September 2003 - LBH said something about an internet forums with an incredible long url. I think I posted about 5 times
September 2004 - I return after not a single visit in a year actually make another 30 posts or so, and then start posting in the RS.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 9 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:57:08 PM)

Quote:
It still seems familiarly hostile to idiots... and I like that.

Aye, we nail our KarmiCommunists much faster here.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 10 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 10:59:06 PM)

TRC told me to come here before I physically met him because it was supposed to be good. The first thread I saw said something about hermaphrodites, so I decided not to be here. You people are freaky. Then I came back because that summer was very boring. And here I am. I'm still bored.
Adopt a leggo my eggo ifo.
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 11 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 11:35:54 PM)

I thought.. "what a bunch of self-righteous, completely moronic assholes."

I guess now I realize that I fit in well with that group of self-righteous assholes.
That's about when I met nelly, she was the village belle.
I was just a panderer, but I loved that girl like hell.

Then along came a city slicker, all finely dressed and gay.
Before I knew it, the son of a bitch stole my nelly away.

So I'm just resting my bones a while, and then I'll be on my way.
I'll get the runt that swiped my cunt if it takes till the judgement day.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 12 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-17-05 11:52:44 PM)

Thought it was full of obnoxious teenage boys i'm a serial-killer :)
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 13 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 12:18:54 AM)

I remember I joined because I made a post back at KoRT listing all the members I hated. Which was silly because if i remember, I 'hated' most of them because they made sarcastic jokes about some forum story I did.

Anyways, I came to a thread about me here and for the first few weeks I acted like a douche (nothing has changed), and even thought I was totally 'in' with everyone after like 2 weeks.
Zing
BRUNET TILL BALD

Purrrfect timing.

Ballkicks: (+148 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2004
Reply 14 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 12:41:39 AM)

I made a post about how I was the "anti-INTL" because I thought I didn't fit in.

Dumb.
kekeke u give soj??? or <3?
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 15 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 02:45:25 AM)

I came here wondering how long it would be before I was banned, because I thought everyone here would be some sort of internet elitist.
I posted once or twice, very carefully and got three good karma points, then quit for about a year I think, just bored.
After getting used to the internet, I eventually rediscovered INTL via sunny and started posting here again, with a more accurate view of how things work.
Ok, that's good to know...

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 16 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 03:47:07 AM)

Quoted from Kitabatake:
I thought.. "what a bunch of self-righteous, completely moronic assholes."

I guess now I realize that I fit in well with that group of self-righteous assholes.

That's exactly what I thought, and continue to think about quite a few of you still. However, I don't think I fit in too well with that group, but also don't really care and stick around because you all are, for the large part, amusing.
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+458 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 17 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 05:25:55 AM)

It looked like a good place to troll.
I set 'em up, Brad knocks 'em down. That's the way it's always been.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 18 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 06:02:23 AM)

Spank was pretty much the first message board ever, so after five days when I was banned skye brought me here and I thought I'd belong.

SOOO WRONG!
If I can bludgeon a hooker to death and burry her in the desert, I sure as shit can punch a little girl and steal her shoes.
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 19 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 06:05:39 AM)

I remember reading Brad's thread about retards in the hall of fame and I thought this place was pretty fucking funny. Everything made me laugh.
Sixten Sparre
Épater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 20 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 06:52:32 AM)

i thought this was a place for the staff at Hg, and other "oldies", and i was a newbie at aomh, but i joined anyways.
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Motti

Ballkicks: (+18 / -2)
Reg. Date: Dec 2004
Reply 21 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 07:53:50 AM)

My first impression of INTL was that the posters here were like a pack of hungry sharks, ready to devour n00bs and each other alike for just the slightest transgresssion. (It must be noted that my first message board was at Synthetic-Reality, were it was kept very family friendly, although politics etc could be discussed in a humane fashion. But, it being a message board for a game place geared towards kids, we'll just say that the debates there weren't very, enlightening. My second message board was/is SPSW. I don't believe I need to describe that site.) So, for what was probably two years I ignored the place, and my only contact with it was the occassional mention at SPSW. Then, not too long ago, SPSW really started to slow down, and I came here and checked some things out, seeing that a good many people from SPSW posted here as well. My opinion changed, and I saw that INTL was a lot friendly than I had rememered, and I could understand the need for the stringent rules a lot better than before. (ie, as Stormraider said, no KarmiCommunists here.)

Not that I've been a very prolific since I joined, but, I do post occassinally, and lurk more. Although, I think I've participated in the iSketch games more than anything.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reply 22 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 08:15:41 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
Spank was pretty much the first message board ever, so after five days when I was banned skye brought me here and I thought I'd belong.

SOOO WRONG!

Sorry honey; Skye is always right.

The very first time I came here was through a link Dani put on Spank!mag. The site still seemed relatively new, and things weren't as busy here as they were on Spank!, so I stayed away. Then I returned when vouching for Adam got me kicked off Spank! and I needed somewhere to redirect my addiction. And since when I got here I didn't understand why everyone didn't like each other (*sniffle*), I got into a lot of strange arguments with nearly every male here.
rchif0: i love you
thecaveparable: why?
rchif0: good question
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 23 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 08:21:04 AM)

My first impression was that the forum had a much more hands-on approach to moderation than what I was used to, a mixed blessing as I considered it. I registered an account, and then, after reading the ToS, lost my nerve to post for almost a year out of fear of forgetting one of the more specific rules and doing something bannable. Well, that and just the normal anxiety I often get when trying to meet a new group of people. Actually, the first thread I read was an MSPaint thread about historical inaccuracies. I wanted to post in it at the time because I thought it would be a good thread to introduce myself with, but I couldn't post images then. So then many months went by and I all but forgot about the forum, and then Vervet brought it up at SPSW and I came back and started posting.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 24 of 95 (Originally posted on: 02-18-05 11:09:36 AM)

I thought it was a pretty mean place, but I didn't care. I already knew many forumers from HG and I liked the relative freedom, when compared to HG.
Oisin kuollut kuusiöisnä, kaonnut kaheksanöisnä, oisi en paljoa pitänyt: vaaksan palttinapaloa, pikkaraisen pientaretta, emon itkua vähäisen, ison vieläki vähemmän, veikon ei väheäkänä. Aino, sister of Joukahainen. Kalevala, r. IV
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 4 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6767 | Total Posts: 95 ]