Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Chemistry... > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 7554 | Total Posts: 59 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
mirthalac
INTL Alumni
stan "the single pringle" templeton

Prettiest Red Beard this side of the Canadian Border

Ballkicks: (+301 / -42)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
(Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:07:37 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Post the name of your favorite element and i will attempt to bring you wacky trivia about it!

my favorite, URANIUM!

- A significant portion of the earth's geothermal energy (read, internal heat) is caused by the radioactive decay of uranium atoms!
- Pitchblende (U308), one of the most abundant ores of uranium, was discovered in silver mines during the Middle Ages, but people thought it was a zinc or iron, but they had no use for it. The name of the ore directly derives from the Bohemian words pech, meaning ill luck, and blende, meaning deceiver. BOY DID THEY MISS OUT ON THE RADIOACTIVE FUN!

PICK AN ELEMENT! HURRAY!

EDIT: DONE ELEMENTS:

Antimony
Lithium
boron
thorium
selenium
francium
oxygen
mercury
xenon
hydrogen
einsteinium
californium
sulfur
tungsten
iron
nobelium
helium
caesium

REQUESTED:

copper - IN PROGRESS
carbon
beryllium
ytterbium
americum
seaborgium
rubidium
gold
potassium
Bobby Crosby's
Home of mid-paced viking metal
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
This reply was last edited on 05-20-06 10:33:05 AM by mirthalac.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 1 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:13:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Antimony.

This is a total party!
Chess players mate better
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:16:45 PM)

My favorite element is the ELEMENT OF SURPRISE.

Lithium 
my mouth is open, so you can stuff the bright red roses in
Khelben
INTL Premium Member
OMG!

Come to my car. I have candy.

Ballkicks: (+69 / -35)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
Reply 3 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:18:43 PM)

Oh mirthalac, teach me what you know about grumpy Boron!!! Please??!!
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 4 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:26:02 PM)

Quoted from Amphytrite:
Antimony.

- Mozart most likely died of antimony poisoning. His doctors had prescribed him antimony tartrate (lord knows why), and he was fond of dosing himself with it. before his death he suffered from "military fever", a disease that is no longer recognized, that has exactly the same symptoms as accute antimony poising.

- There is a 5000 year old vase in the Louvre that is almost pure antimony.

- Despite its toxicity, antimony oxide (Sb2O3) is used as a flame retardant in PVC pipe.

- SUPER FUN FACT! - Antimony pills were sold as reusable laxatives during the middle ages. Swallow the pea-sized pill, irritate the bowels enough to crap it out, and find the tiny pill in your excrement! there are reports of these laxitives being passed down through *GENERATIONS*.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 5 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:37:06 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Lithium

- one of only three elements created in the immediate aftermath of the big bang (He and H are the others), but it is destroyed in stars if the interior temperature of the star exceeds 2.4 million degrees, which is most stars. not a lot of lithium running around.

- lithium carbonate (Li2CO3), as used in psychiatry, is typically prescribed at near the lethal dose. It's because lithium itself is mildly toxic in an ingested form, so be careful!

- despite prior assumption that you could only have protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus, some atoms of lithium-7 have been produced with lambda particles in the nucleus.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 6 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:45:06 PM)

Quoted from Khelben:
Boron.

- in a homogenous universe, boron should not exist. it cannot be created within stars, only through spallation (cosmic rays shattering bigger atoms and splitting off smaller ones), or in a neutron rich region of space.

- Boron carbide is chemically inert and heat resistant, and its hardness aproaches that of the diamond. the chemical composition is B13C2 but no body has of yet ascertained the actual chemical structure!

- Boron is a critical element in the safe operation of nuclear reactors. it has the capacity to readily absorb free neutrons, thus halting any out of control chain reaction that may have been happening.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+457 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 7 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:46:05 PM)

It's a tought choice between Thorium and Selenium.
I set 'em up, Brad knocks 'em down. That's the way it's always been.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 8 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-01-05 11:56:51 PM)

Quoted from Lucifer Beowulf Helidon:
Thorium.

- Thorium was named after Thor, wielder of Mjolnor, and is radioactive.

- In the early days of X-rays, about 10,000 patients were given doses of thorium oxide into their blood stream, so as to highlight the circulatory system. amazingly, this group had a retardedly high instance of leukemia and other cancers.

Quoted from Lucifer Beowulf Helidon:
Selenium.

-named for the moon! in greek! KICK ASS!

- in 1975, Yogesh Awasthi, in his lab in Galveston, Tx discovered that selenium is part of antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase, and as a result, is essential for humans.

- you cop out and pick two, you get crappy trivia. i'm a serial-killer :)
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Zing
BRUNET TILL BALD

Purrrfect timing.

Ballkicks: (+148 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2004
Reply 9 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 12:09:17 AM)

Francium, please.
kekeke u give soj??? or <3?
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 10 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 12:33:14 AM)

Quoted from Zing:
Francium, please.

since you asked so nicely...

- Francium has no role to play in living things and is never encountered outside nuclear facilities or research laboratories (at least in any quantity worth worrying about). When injected in rats, it concentrates in the bladder, gut, saliva and liver. In rats that had cancer prior to injection, the francium tends to concentrate in the tumor, falsely raising hope that it may be used medicinally for cancer treatment.

- of all the radioactive elements with atomic numbers less than 100, francium's longest lived isotope is still the element with the shortest half-life. that isotope is francium-223, and has a half-life of 22 miuntes. super unstable.

- no compounds of francium have ever been made long enough to study, but it *would* form Fr+ ions, and thusly would oxidize to Fr2O.

- there are trace amounts of francium in uranium ores, but there is one francium atom per billion billion (1018) atoms of uranium. that translates to less than 30 grams of francium in the earth's crust at any given time.

alright, time for bed. i'll honor requests tomorrow afternoon.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 11 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 12:36:18 AM)

I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT OXYGEN!
If I can bludgeon a hooker to death and burry her in the desert, I sure as shit can punch a little girl and steal her shoes.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 12 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 12:51:21 AM)

Quoted from Smokey:
I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT OXYGEN!

you are lucky you caught me while i was smoking a cigarette.

- Oxygen: from the greek oxy genes, meaning acid forming.

- Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the universe, behind hydrogen and helium, respectively. The formation of oxygen is part of a typical stars (let's call it the sun) fuel cycle, which will eventually fuse all matter into iron.

- Mars has oxygen in its atmosphere, albeit a tiny bit. .15% of the atmosphere, to be exact.

- 28% of your bone structure and 16% of your tissue is oxygen, and the average amount of oxygen in your body is 43 kilograms (roughly 60% of your body weight), but that varies, as it is mainly present as water.

- the amount of oxygen in the earth's atmosphere sits between two extremes. if it were below 17%, we could not breathe. if it were higher than 25%, ALL ORGANIC MATTER WOULD BE HIGHLY FLAMMIBLE. this was apparent when on January 27th, 1967, a fire started in the cabin of what was to be the first manned Apollo space mission, and the crew of three burned alive in their oxygen-rich environment.
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
This reply was last edited on 02-02-05 12:56:55 AM by mirthalac.
branwen

Ballkicks: (+4 / -4)
Reg. Date: Feb 2005
Reply 13 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 01:41:45 AM)

mercury all the way.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 14 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 03:32:15 AM)

Xenon, the most funky of the noble gases.
Oisin kuollut kuusiöisnä, kaonnut kaheksanöisnä, oisi en paljoa pitänyt: vaaksan palttinapaloa, pikkaraisen pientaretta, emon itkua vähäisen, ison vieläki vähemmän, veikon ei väheäkänä. Aino, sister of Joukahainen. Kalevala, r. IV
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+457 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 05:18:33 AM)

Quoted from Sukkit:
Xenon, the most funky of the noble gases.
Bullshit.
I set 'em up, Brad knocks 'em down. That's the way it's always been.
Zippo
pooooooop

Leveling entire cities with her magnificient girl-cock

Ballkicks: (+1097 / -49)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 16 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 06:03:21 AM)

My favorite element is hydrogen because 1H-NMR is the shiznit.

I love this thread!
God of Rock, thank you for this chance to kick ass. We are your humble servants. Please give us the power to blow people's minds with our high voltage rock. In your name we pray, Amen.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 17 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 06:40:07 AM)

EINSTEINIUM and CALIFORNIUM. OH YEAH!
johnny
citizens of tttland

Ballkicks: (+34 / -12)
Reg. Date: Dec 2003
Reply 18 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 07:14:49 AM)

what do you know about sulfur?
"Plato wrote that human happiness was the ultimate goal of life. But Plato was a dipshit and human happiness is vastly overrated..."
Psychotic Astronaut
Background Forummers

Complete fucking idiot. ^______________^

Ballkicks: (+42 / -94)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 19 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 07:35:28 AM)

Quoted from kayte:
EINSTEINIUM and CALIFORNIUM. OH YEAH!

She beat me to it.
"Just let me tie my shoes... and pull up my pants"
Ztolk
INTL Premium Member
Rawr.

definitely threw the blue lego

Ballkicks: (+838 / -47)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 20 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 07:35:35 AM)

I'm a Tungsten man myself.
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +v Jew
* FlamingArrow sets mode: +o Jew
<FlamingArrow> AHHHH ZIONIST TAKEOVER
*** FlamingArrow has left #INTL
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 21 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 08:17:18 AM)

I'm an iron girl, myself. Iron, please.
in New York, the penalty for jumping off a building is death
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 22 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 08:32:16 AM)

Nobelium.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 23 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 08:53:49 AM)

Helium.
mirthalac
INTL Alumni

Reply 24 of 59 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 10:40:40 AM)

Quoted from branwen:
mercury all the way.

Ahh... mercury... sweetest of the transition metals...

- BY FAR the most misunderstood metal. for centuries, hell, maybe even milennia, people thought that mercury (or quicksilver) was *THE* element, some bizarre amalgamation of all other metals, the key to alchemy. They believed that its fluidity was a FUNDAMENTAL property of mercury, that it would never solidify. This was accidentally disproved by two Russian scientists, A. Braun and M. V. Lomonosov, of St. Petersburg, on December 26, 1759. they were experimenting with how low a temperature they could acheive, by mixing ice with salt, and eventually, acids and snow. at some point, the mercury in their thermometer stopped moving, and appeared solid. Curious, they broke the glass open, and lo and behold, the mercury *HAD* solidified, and it was bendable like a wire of any normal metal. By happenstance, they had destroyed a generations old myth! Merry Christmas, Science!

- Human intake of mercury is about 3 micrograms a day for adults, and 1 microgram for babies and young children. every mouthful of food you intake has a bit of mercury. This will not kill you. Or maybe it will.

- Mercury has a particular attraction to Sulfur, and will attach itself to thesulfur atoms in certain amino acids, and these amnio acids can be render the enzymes they are a part of inactive as a result. The Na+/K+/ATPase enzyme, which is a super important part of the sodium/potassium pump that keeps your brain working, is particularly sensative to mercury poisoning.

- Mercury was used as a treatment of syphilis in the late 1400's. It killed the Treponema pallidum bacteria, but caused intense salivation in the patient, and it killed at least one king: Charles II.

- Perhaps the saddest death in history related to mercury was that of the Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, who had prostate trouble. At a royal banquet in Prague, he dared not leave the table to pee, and he split his blatter, dying of urinary poisoning. Samples of his hair showed that the day before he died, he was given mercurial medicine in an effort to save his life. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS [RIP Tycho Brahe]
Bobby Crosby's
OLD SKOOL 4 LIFE KREW
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 7554 | Total Posts: 59 ]