Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Considering Joining the Navy > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2726 | Total Posts: 40 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
(Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:01:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps
4 year scholarship program, I'm joining.
Anyone have any experience in this program?
My family has a Navy history, so I've talked to three of them, but my Grandad was restricted line, he was a medic.
My cousin was enlisted, and my uncle is a Seal, so none of them have any first hand experience with ROTC directly, though they tell me nothing but good things about serving a tour.

Anyone here have any stories to share?
Ok, that's good to know...

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 1 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:05:45 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

No stories but <3 for joining the Navy. i'm a serial-killer :)
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 2 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:06:47 PM)

I have a bunch of friends that go to the Academy.

They pretty much hate it.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
Squareknight
I will never be independant

XX_mira_fan_Xx

Ballkicks: (+181 / -100)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 3 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:13:19 PM)

My brother in law was an officer on one of the new Seawolf submarines. He hated it as far as I remember.
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 4 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:15:53 PM)

Make sure to get some cool anchor tats, though.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
IF0
Administrator

Hey, I was with Mary Magdalene last night....smell my finger lol

Ballkicks: (+621 / -173)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 5 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:23:27 PM)

Seamen jokes ahoy.
"All these fucking asshole religious people will say it's a choice you know.. like, 'Homosexuality is a choice. That is a choice people make to engage in this deliciously decadent sinful behavior in God's eyes. They get together with their.. you know, hot oil rubdowns and whatnots.. It's.. It's sinful.' You know.. it's fucking genetics, not a choice. There's no fucking 16 year old heterosexual boy.. confused, socially awkward, you know, acne-scarred kid sittin' around, you know, in his bedroom going 'God, everyone hates me.. and.. the girls.. the girls that I like don't like me.. and.. Um. I know what to do, and the thought of having sex with another man, it's physically repelling to me.. But you know. Maybe it's time I invited even more nonstop harassment into my life.' Yeah that'll be fun. Why don't I just introduce the concept of getting the shit kicked out of me for no good reason by a bunch of fucking retards. Yeah, yeah that's a fun choice to make. A choice a lot of people are making. Yeah."
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 6 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:33:37 PM)

village people jokes ahoy

good luck, its only going to be as good as you put into it.
Mr Pixies
Scuba.

Ballkicks: (+490 / -96)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 7 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 05:52:33 PM)

I have a friend in the navy, he doesn't seem to like it much, but it doesn't seem terrible.
VAGINIAN

I'm entertained, but I'd rather be enlightened.

Nilbog! It's goblin spelled backwards! This is their kingdom! - Joshua

Grow the fuck up, this is the goddamn internet. - Menion
Angus

D'oh!

Ballkicks: (+621 / -84)
Reply 8 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 06:28:32 PM)

I just remembered one of my friends has a cousin in the Seals, but he is a good ol' Alabama Christian boy that loves guns and hard work, and that's the only background I can think of that enjoys the military. (Just like my dad, who would be proud to see his son die in the marines!)
Bill
INTL Premium Member

Thanks to id's "Can't see shit!" technology, Doom3 will run great on any computer!

Ballkicks: (+184 / -54)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 06:43:20 PM)

I have a friend in the academy, he loves it.
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 10 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 06:49:33 PM)

Don't drop the soap.

Heck, I don't think they even bother with that anymore. They throw you on the floor and fuck you right there.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 11 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 07:29:17 PM)

I know a girl from another forum who enlisted in the Navy and just went off to Basic last week. She was really excited. And... that's all I'll know until she finishes in... a month or two or whatever. Yeah.
Boot
Canuck Connection, eh?

Look closely, which did you see first? God or the cat?

Ballkicks: (+14 / -5)
Reg. Date: Jan 2005
Reply 12 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 07:48:04 PM)

Navy life sucks. Out of the three services you are not worth much in the Navy. However as an officer puke (thats what we in Canada who work for a living call the officer cadets) guys will come up to you and start swearing at you for 2-3 minutes before actually saying what you were doing wrong. Although this is true for all ranks.

Every nation and service has its own traditions. You normally have a semester to decide if you want to stay or not. Give it a try... No life like it... Its not your fathers Navy... Learn till ya drop... Seven days at Sea ;-) (a.k.a. sea going initiation)

Besides, I am in the Air Force so my point of view might be a bit skewed.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reply 13 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 08:34:09 PM)

Quoted from asthetik:
I have a bunch of friends that go to the Academy.

They pretty much hate it.

I only have one friend in it.

He pretty much hates it.
If I can bludgeon a hooker to death and burry her in the desert, I sure as shit can punch a little girl and steal her shoes.
Boot
Canuck Connection, eh?

Reply 14 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-26-05 08:46:27 PM)

When a friend of mine come back from the Royal Military College he had an attitude that he was God's gift to the officer corps. I had to slap it out of him and his younger brother when they got out.

Thats why I have military academies.
bicentennialman

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+29 / -16)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 15 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 06:28:44 AM)

The Academy works both ways. Some are enthusiastic about it and like it. Others are cynical and hate it.
The Academy is not ROTC.

Be sure you're in decent physical shape before you go ROTC, and try to have a life outside it. Don't be a ROTC nazi.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 16 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 08:31:52 AM)

My father has a special dislike reserved for two types of people-people who went to Uni of Notre Dame and people in the Navy. From my personal experience, I have to agree, at least with the latter-I've seen people go into the Navy as nice, respectable people, and come out as total assholes. That doesn't mean everyone inthe Navy becomes an idiot, but it seems that way sometimes.
My dad was a medic, but he was in the Air Force. Doesn't talk about it much-he was in Vietnam for a while and his best friend died later on as a result of TCDD poisoning.

But yeah, have fun!
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3
Hit em low, hit em high, and we'll watch our Eagles fly
Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 17 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 09:16:15 AM)

You know, Boot, not to narc on your high here, or anything, but if there's one service that is NOT allowed to make fun of the Royal Canadian Navy, it's mosty certainly the RCAF.

How many planes you boys have operational right now? 50? 45? Any helicopters falling out of the sky this week?
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 09:54:08 AM)

Most of the people who've gone into the Navy that I know of are still good people. So I'd say go for it. Sandamnit might ban you out of sheer contempt, though.
touch eyeballs to screen for cheap laser surgery
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 19 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 11:10:24 AM)

Lotsa horror stories about Navy cadets.
I might not join after all.
If I can afford this semester without any more aid, I'll stay out.
Ok, that's good to know...

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." --Paul Ehrlich

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 20 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 11:40:07 AM)

Quote:
So I'd say go for it. Sandamnit might ban you out of sheer contempt, though

Not if Iraqi militants have their way. MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
ExtraKryspi
I WHINE ABOUT ASININE SHIT
i like your style kryspi

Ballkicks: (+117 / -63)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 21 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 01:14:54 PM)

Save me some work and kill yourself.
e io etterna duro
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 22 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-27-05 08:45:10 PM)

ROTC is the place to be, but if for any reason you flunk out, they do have the right to do what they wish with you I believe.

Join the Navy, See the World!
LEGISLATION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES
Boot
Canuck Connection, eh?

Reply 23 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-28-05 07:19:21 PM)

I will answer quick Stormraider, I work with remusters who have served on the 280 class and one who worked on the Ojibwa (submarine). All the services are in trouble financially, the Navy has a Frigate tied up at Halifax because they cannot get enough men to crew her. The Airforce's Hercs are about to fall apart and need civilians to do second line maintenance. Finally the Army has been screaming for new equipment for 20 years and they are just getting around to replacing the Leopard. If you want to talk more we will start another thread.

On the plus side of joinning the military as an officer is that you get all sorts of courses, experience and extras that when you decide to leave the military you have very good civilian jobs waiting for you. If you can climatise to the life style. I have, I like it and I hope to go officer. However, I do not like to see people jump feet first and find out they had no business being there. It is a hard life if you do this.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 24 of 40 (Originally posted on: 01-28-05 07:27:48 PM)

It's not like Canada needs an army anyway.
DRAHNIER
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2726 | Total Posts: 40 ]