Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Age of Empires III > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 4347 | Total Posts: 39 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
(Originally posted on: 01-04-05 05:48:47 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

IGN First Look

So if what they say is true, the game has been in development for nearly a year now, and Ensemble's been putting teasers up on their websites for important dates. The graphics engine looks beautiful, but I'm worried about the gameplay -- it seems like too much of a departure from the AoE and AoK formula. The idea of home cities and the like make me worry.

It seems like Ensemble is very focused on deeply changing the AoK formula, despite the fact that it worked excellently. I'm not looking for a remake, but I thought AoM was a disappointment, and I think that changes to the AoK formula to improve it and streamline it might be better than departing from it entirely.

Thoughts?
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 1 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 05:59:57 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I thought AoM was AoE III.

Guess not.
In any case, I probably won't buy this right of the bat, due to Rome's lasting impact.
Not only that but the AoM experience ruined the Age series for me, I no longer fancy it as much as the Total War series.

Truely, if they meander more towards an RTW setting with cities on a map, then I'll like it more than I did the older Age games.
Ok, that's good to know...

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 2 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 06:13:31 PM)

Quote:
I thought AoM was AoE III.

Nope, AoM was a seperate game series. Age of Empires III follows directly after AoK's timeline.

Perhaps you are thinking about the use of RTS1, RTS2, RTS3 and RTS4 in regards to ES' games. RTS1 refer to Age of Empires, RTS2 to Age of Kings, RTS3 to Age of Mythology and RTS4 to Age of Empires III. RTS is used to describe the chronological order in which the games were produced. RTS3 was commonly used to describe AoM during its early production.

Age of Empires III has been announced, by the way. Although they have chosen not to use a subtitle. It is officially known as Age of Empires III, not anything else. I find that odd, but considering the time period (1492 to 1850) I'm not surprised a common term could not be coined for it.
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 3 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 06:15:30 PM)

This reminds me of the good old Aok days... ES doesn't understand that everyone loved that game for what it was, and not what it lacked. There is nothing wrong with 2D sprites for god's sake. Triggers are alright. I predict this will be as much a flop as Aom and Ron.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 4 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 06:27:27 PM)

I'm not too sure. While the older games were great, people are asking for newer and better things. AoK and AoE's graphics were revolutionary for their time, but if you place those same graphics in a game today, most people wont buy it. The people who will are the hardcore players who are likely searching for a nostalgic factor. On the otherhand, it is still great to play AoK; though the ones who tend to do so these days were previous players back when AoK was still highly popular.

I don't believe it will be as popular as AoK once was, but players said the same thing about AoK back when AoE was still the only ES game to play.

Don't get me wrong in assuming that graphics mean everything. I, among others will still play games which are years old and outdated; however, the current generation of online gamers tends to be the younger generation seeking out better, and more graphically enhanced games. It is usually the younger generation in which game developers seek to build games for.
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 5 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 06:36:07 PM)

Like sunny said, the newer players will probably enjoy this game alot, the graphics do appear to be tremendous, assuming that shot is from gameplay and not a cutscene.

Also, there will undoubtedly be familiar features and flavors that the series will carry with it, just because of the way things work, I think older players will find themselves on more familiar territory than they think and new players will be at least mildly impressed.

The challenge they face is pulling players from other Strategy Series' followings, such as the TBSs like Civ and CTP, and the Total War series.
I don't think this new age game will pull a base from either of those other series.
Ok, that's good to know...

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived" -- Winston Churchill

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix." -- The Infamous Mr. Dan Quayle
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 6 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 07:22:59 PM)

Well, I'm thrilled. I've been watching the ES site and the HG forums for a peak for a long while now. Man, is this going to be great. Hopefully it'll have as big a crowd as AoK once did and we'll be able to have some real fun with it. (Well, that could just be nostalgia.)
I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 7 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 07:25:17 PM)

Just in time. I had been losing most of my interest in the AoE/M scene recently, but seeing the shots and reading up on the new features has me really looking forward to this coming out.

I can't wait until HG's AoE3 community is up and running*. big grin

*That's saying alot because I really don't like HG at times.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 8 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 07:27:27 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
I can't wait until HG's AoE3 community is up and running*. big grin

*That's saying alot because I really don't like HG at times.

When AoM was coming, I tried to get a spot in that Heaven, but I think talking to Spineman was a bad idea. I'd still work AoEIII, just because of it's sheer awesomeness, even with as much as I can't stand parts of HG at times.
I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 9 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-04-05 08:53:16 PM)

I haven't bought a video game since Age of Kings because I'm not too interested in gaming. But I love AoK, so if this is good, I might have to buy it.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Baggy_Brad
FIGJAM

Cool.

Ballkicks: (+1431 / -135)
Reply 10 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 05:11:33 AM)

The screenshots make it look like AoK with better graphics.
Brad's Summer Journal 4
Sixten Sparre
…pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 11 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 06:17:59 AM)

I like the era, i'm not much of an online-gamer, but i can sit for hours and build my empire, and aslong as they are historical accurate, i'm glad.

i really like the look of the cities and ships so far
Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 12 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 07:17:54 AM)

Those are some nice shaders for an RTS. Looks great.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 13 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 06:03:39 PM)

Although my computer will never, ever run that game, it looks absolutely phenomenal. I can only hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics. The screenshots look amazing. I was in awe at some of the screenshots with the boats.
"We two dead apple trees see no possums in the mist of your grandmother."
Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 14 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 07:20:54 PM)

Hey guess what, I remember when AoM was announced and then they took a year and a half to release it or some bullshit like that.

Let's hope ES doesn't disappoint twice!
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 15 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-05-05 08:42:43 PM)

I think the shots are great, I like the idea of controlling your civilization more and point it where it can go. AoM I enjoyed so I have faith this game will be really decent.
<Amphytrite> let's face it, matt.
<Amphytrite> no one on the tele is ever going to make the right look good.
<the_red_chimp> put me on the tele
<the_red_chimp> I will
<IF0> no you won't
<Amphytrite> no.
<MrExcitable> no
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 16 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 12:48:01 PM)

As resentful as I am over AoM, this game admittedly looks pretty sweet. The idea of following the lineage of a family also has appeal.

This game will either be super awesome or super okay.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reply 17 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 01:17:59 PM)

ES makes my dreams come true yet again i'm a serial-killer :)
ORGANIZE BEFORE THEY RISE
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 18 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 04:02:41 PM)

For some reason, all-ranged warfare RTS games just turn me off. I don't know why.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 19 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 06:59:34 PM)

ive been following along on AoK-H for a while now, even though there hasnt really been anything to follow untill now. the screen shots look amazing, and while i was never really excited about AoM i am about this one. the game play changes dont bother me at all, and im curious to see how they work out.

while modern warfare isnt my favorite, i dont mind that this game will be moving relativly close to the modern age. it was the whole mythology thing that turned me off to AoM, and i did give it a shot and just couldnt get into it.
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"

Frightening social changes continued! And then the religious right began a righteous backlash! First they accused gays and lesbians of being promiscuous! And when this failed, they began accusing them of having long-term committed monogamous relationships and wanting to get married!
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 20 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 09:02:24 PM)

About a year ago, I'd have agreed with Jimmy, but after playing Ground Control II (yeah, yeah, nothing like Colonial Age combat) I was for the first time turned-on by the ranged-combat idea... and I totally mean that in a sexual way.

The fact that they get into lines and shoot in formation, as opposed to just making a weird-ass firing semi-circle around the targets adds to this as well.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 21 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-07-05 08:22:35 PM)

This looks absolutely amazing. I really havent played or even payed attention to any computer games since AoK, because after that my computer wasnt able to play the new releases, and I am shocked that things have gotten so amazing so quickly.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Mr Bounce

Ballkicks: (+95 / -37)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 22 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-08-05 04:47:35 AM)

I don't know if I'll like the new gameplay as much as the older styles. Oh well, the people that made the other AoEs can't go wrong... Can they?

That graphics engine is the best I've seen in an RTS by far. I get the feeling I'll be playing that game, even if only because it looks orgasmic.
"I once took a bullet right in the cojones just to prove how tough I am, but the bullet ricocheted off of a pube and shot some kid in the face."
- Maddox http://maddox.xmission.com/
Sixten Sparre
…pater la bourgeoisie

wears neckerchiefs

Ballkicks: (+1184 / -307)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 23 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-08-05 03:09:46 PM)

Quoted from awkward jimmy:
For some reason, all-ranged warfare RTS games just turn me off. I don't know why.

What do you mean by "all-ranged" ?
Tough, Unique, Bad, Bodacious, and Sassy.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reply 24 of 39 (Originally posted on: 01-08-05 03:42:57 PM)

Quoted from Surt:
Quoted from awkward jimmy:

What do you mean by "all-ranged" ?

That all units in the game attack with ranged weapons. AoE3 is of course not an all-ranged game, so he should have put more thought into that post.
ORGANIZE BEFORE THEY RISE
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 4347 | Total Posts: 39 ]