Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > Art (Modern and your preferences) > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3645 | Total Posts: 26 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 04-07-02 06:53:45 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

First off: What are your opinions on some of the very odd works of modern out coming out nowadays (especially sculpture)? One guy won an award for a dead elephant. Another for a jar of sperm. Another for a blank canvas. Is this art?

My opinion:
Art can be quite abstract and still have profound meaning or be very interesting and creative. This is a hard subject to address, though, because art is so subjective. I feel that there is a difference between abstract art and something like the examples i mentioned. Some of these arent really creative or worthwhile because while they may be a form of expression, they are a seemingly lazy and simple way of doing it. They also lack skill, which is another aspect of "art."

Second: What are your favorite periods in art history and who are your favorite artists?

My opinion:
I prefer Impressionism, neo-Impressionism, and Expressionism most. I like all impressionists, van Gogh, Kollwitz, Rembrandt, Munch, Seraut, etc.

I just went to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC and i was completely amazed. I have been to my share of gallerys, but it is simply amazing. Huge. So amazing.

are you confused yet?
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 1 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 06:55:00 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Also, what does everyone think of digital art (made with a computer)?

Sandy: Sorry for my first post in this forum, it definately wasnt serious.

are you confused yet?
Stoffel
stoffel sucks; 3ms owns + is returning for round 2 lightening round bioch

Ballkicks: (+126 / -74)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 2 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:03:26 PM)

I think most things that people create for the purpose of being art, are art. However I cant stand some of the crap that people call art, like the one my aunt has hanging in her house, of about five different colored squares spread out on a white background. There is no talent to it, no meaning behind it, no reason. However I've seen some that are just hundreds of squigly lines, that look like a five year old did it, but if you look closely at it you can tell that the artist planned every one of the lines to be a certain way. My medium for art used to be paper and pen, and I always drew castles or people in armour. However I got bored with it, becuase once I drew it, there was no value to it except to look at. Now my medium is metal, I can shape metal into just about whatever I want it to be. Mostly I build armour, but occasionally smith decorational stuff like posts, and do quite a bit of hinges and buckles and such for my armour. I get to spend the time creating it, but also get to put it to use and it doesnt sit in a note book or frame somewhere to get a glance eveyr now and then.
"...Stoffel is the Texan void of all-consumption where all our sexual chances go..." Tyr.

Now known as "Blue-Beard the Ass Pirate" by PR.
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+186 / -18)
Reply 3 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:07:33 PM)

Quote:
One guy won an award for a dead elephant. Another for a jar of sperm. Another for a blank canvas. Is this art?

I'd say the first two are definitely art. I define art as any time of picture, regardless of what it is, made with any variety of media.

The third one, a blank canvas, is not art, IMO. That "artist", if you can call them that because they did not create anything, did not create a piece of art. That's like saying all of the cardboard and paper in supply stores are pieces of artwork.
yay...?
Azzie

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+3 / -2)
Reply 4 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:17:48 PM)

Quote:
What are your opinions on some of the very odd works of modern out coming out nowadays (especially sculpture)?
I really hate that new "modern" stuff... call me anti-cultural... but I'm an artist (from (9-12 am, on Thursdays :p)... I don't see art in 3 colored boxes and 9 colored lines. I could do that with a minute of work... then sell it for $1000s?
Quote:
Is this art?
Quote:
One guy won an award for a dead elephant.
Well, if drawing or painting it, I suppose so. Not a good choice, but still art.
Quote:
Another for a jar of sperm.
I real, "jar of sperm"... or a drawing of one? That's just...stupid.
Quote:
Another for a blank canvas.
Hardly. Look! Mine's green! Much more art than a blank canvas!

emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 5 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:22:28 PM)

those are not drawings or paintings. a guy went out, shot an elephant, and moved it. The jar of sperm is an actual jar of sperm. The blank canvas was built and prepared by the artist.

are you confused yet?
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 6 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:39:47 PM)

Nevermind. I thought you were implying that they drew/painted those pictures. I don't believe either of those can be called artwork anymore.
yay...?
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 7 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:43:53 PM)

no one has adressed the other two questions about your preferences and digital art...

are you confused yet?
boutitben
INTL Premium Member
Captain Naked Santa

LBH was here.

Reply 8 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:44:58 PM)

I would address them, but I can't say that I have favorite periods of art or artists, so the question is n/a.
yay...?
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 9 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 07:55:28 PM)

Sorry, I forgot them!

Preferences: Well, really just oil/water color paintings... of old buildings, people, animals...etc.

Digital Art: I love it big grin

Quote:
a guy went out, shot an elephant, and moved it.
Not art, hunting.
Quote:
The jar of sperm is an actual jar of sperm.
Not art, masturbation.
Quote:
The blank canvas was built and prepared by the artist.
Not art, stupidity.

I can't believe those won awards...
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 10 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:02:05 PM)

the first and third did, the second was one of a few nominated at a modern art awards showing, it didnt win though. i am looking for the article but cant find it. i have a copy in a magazine but i am not gonna type it.

are you confused yet?
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 11 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:11:05 PM)

That's just dumb... remind me to go shoot a cat, and then draw a quick sketch of it's graveyard...

ugh.
BustedCrutch

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+1 / -2)
Reply 12 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:15:48 PM)

What about Piss Christ? Andres Serrano, a photographer, put a model of Jesus inverted in Cherry Jello made of his own urine and took a few photos. Is that art?

When thinking of ART its easy to walk through a museum in your mind, looking at various pieces of sculpture with some kind of symbolism and purpose. However, there are many times when we ourselves will do some stupid project, step back, and confide with ourselves; Now there, is a fine piece of art.

There seems to be a difference between the creation of art, and what we term "objective art," or art independent of creator.

The trend lately seems to be on the creative process itself, and we are torn because of a disconnect between the "objective art" and the personal experience of "creating" art - which we don't experience like the artist does.

------

Digital art is great. I think its simply a new medium, with countless possibilities... Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, MS Paint... shall we expand to eBooks? What about custom designed 3d-game levels? All of these are results of creative processes.
The digital age certainly gives many options, a myriad of which remain to be unexplored.

Consider file formats as an example of diversity - .DOC, .TXT, .RTF, etc... all those for 1 text file. A PC is can be used for infinite means of creation/storage. One thing I'm concerned about is longetivity of such art.

What if I am a Flash "artist" and create all my fine pieces in Flash Studio? Its been 5 centuries (give or take a hundred years) since old Leo painted the Mona Lisa - it still exists, in a primal form that we can see with the eyes we were born with. Such specialized formats like Flash and other file formats proprietory to certain "decoders" or software don't have the same privelage of being viewable with the naked eye.

It is a real concern. If digital art is limited in scope, must hard copies be created for longevity? If so, what manner of "hard copy" would be adequate for such a task, if any?

------

My favorite art period ... difficult. Probably the low Renaissance, or Mannerism.

edit: Grammar.
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 13 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:20:17 PM)

Quote:
shall we expand to eBooks?
I'd like to. Sounds fun, having the book read out loud to you.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 14 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:30:27 PM)

Quote:
I don't see art in 3 colored boxes and 9 colored lines. I could do that with a minute of work...

You should take some abstract art classes. I thought the same as you, but then I took a class on it, and gained a whole new appreciation of the difficulty of abstraction.
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 15 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:34:44 PM)

I can understand "partially" abstract art. But what about the box/line stuff. Please explain how this is art?
BustedCrutch

LBH was here.

Reply 16 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 08:38:04 PM)

Quoted from Azzie:
I can understand "partially" abstract art. But what about the box/line stuff. Please explain how this is art?

Its art. We have an assumption of what "art" is, and a opinion of what it is.

I'm sure he can explain the logistics of creation of the pieces, but in no way can he explain (in any factual way)what makes it art, just as you cannot explain (in any factual way) why it is not art.
Pluveto

Rain Man

Ballkicks: (+164 / -45)
Reply 17 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-07-02 09:01:34 PM)

Azzie, get paint and sit down with a canvas and try and paint an aesthetically pleasing abstraction. it's extremely difficult.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 18 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 08:19:46 AM)

I believe that art is in the eye of the beholder, and I can understand why somebody would think a dead elephant or a blank canvas are art. However, I personally don't enjoy those works of art.

When it comes to Modern Art, I usually only enjoy Picasso and others of his period such as the Group of 7 or Monai. However, that was nearly a century ago.

Now when it comes to art which is modern and extremely extract in there meaning, such as what that guy in Germany is doing with his art. This guy in Germany supposedly makes art out of cadaviers. And although I don't personally enjoy his art, I'm sure other people think he is the best artist in the world.

That leads me to my preferences in art. I enjoy art from many different periods. I enjoy Sculpture from Ancient Rome and the Greek City-States. I also enjoy Rennaisance Paintings, as well as the 1700's. And I also enjoy Rococo sculpture from this period, however, I don't enjoy much Baroque. I also enjoy Paintings from the late 1800's. However, after that, the only drawings I really enjoyed are Scenic Paintings.

And about Digital Art. I believe Digital art is a good medium, however, It could take up to many expensive programs to create good digital art.

However, people will have the invent some way of transforming electronic images into a primary image that could stay complete for a few centuries. Now, you could Print the images. However, what about multi-imaged images?
or animations?

Well, I'm done with my opinion

_Sunny
Guru

Ballkicks: (+66 / -21)
Reply 19 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 08:31:48 AM)

Well, some modern art I can't stand, like the Jar of Sperm that was mentioned earlier. For other modern art, like that of Jackson Pollack, when one examines it closer you can tell that there is a pattern in the way it was done.
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 20 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 11:05:26 AM)

Quote:
Azzie, get paint and sit down with a canvas and try and paint an aesthetically pleasing abstraction. it's extremely difficult.
True, but I still don't understand how boxes and lines are aesthetically pleasing. I can understand absract art (where you can barely make out what it is) can have a meaning or a purpose, not the box/line paintings. I consider the former art, but not the latter.

Again, this is just my opinion, I just don't see the art in that, or a dead elephant, or a jar of sperm.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 21 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 11:26:04 AM)

anything thats made with the intention of being art is art

i'm so tired, i cant sleep
i am a liar and a thief
i sit and drink pennyroyal tea
i'm anaemic royalty
BustedCrutch

LBH was here.

Reply 22 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 12:24:40 PM)

Quoted from Sunshine:
I don't enjoy much Baroque.

Me either. There are a couple pieces I dig (Bernini's David, some of Rembrantd) but overall I think its kind of bleak, and boring.

Quoted from Sunshine on digital art:
Now, you could Print the images. However, what about multi-imaged images?
or animations?

That's exactly my point. Images created digitally are ok, movies can be transferred, but there are some specialized types of things that can not be transferred.

Then again, perhaps with a video capture card ANYTHING can be transferred to DVD.

But then again - how long is DVD going to be around?

We just trash these formats when we're done (look at Beta and 8 track), whos to say anything we have now will carry on? Hard copies hard copies hard copies!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 23 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 03:29:57 PM)

As far as longgevity of digital art: Some forms, such as simpler 2d images, can have a hard copy produced through processes of high resolution printing. others, such as flash cant really. I consider myself a digital artist and i have wondered often how long the formats i use will be around. Ten years down the road, all my work could be useless. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Azzie: Take an abstract art class. There is alot more to works by people such as Mondrian (the guy who did colored boxes on white background) than just rondomly throwing stuff together.

I am very liberal in my definition of art, and i think it is entirely subjective, but sometimes it seems as if people are not going through the "creative process" that someone mentioned earlier as much so as someone who does a more complex work. Some of these pieces seem more like a ploy for attention than art. I understand that what i see as meaningful and artistic may not be to someone else, and vice versa, but sometimes it seems as if people are taking it too far.

are you confused yet?
Azzie

LBH was here.

Reply 24 of 26 (Originally posted on: 04-08-02 05:31:30 PM)

Like I said, it's probably just me :p
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3645 | Total Posts: 26 ]