Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > I can't believe no one has posted about the big ass waves in south east Asia. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 6205 | Total Posts: 69 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
(Originally posted on: 12-27-04 02:19:12 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

We sure don't care when asians and negros die, do we?
The only reason it's getting so much media coverage here is that a couple of thousand Swedish tourists in the area are missing.

So anyway, an earthquake created big ass tsunami waves that washed up on the shores of Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, and a few other shitty countries around that general area, killing more than 20000 people.

Discuss.
DRAHNIER
abused
i done told you once bitch

Looks and acts like a douche-bag

Ballkicks: (+820 / -208)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 02:23:14 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

Yeah, I wondered why no one had posted, and was going to.

Only a few Canadians have died, but there still is a shitload of media coverage here, both online on news sites and on TV.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/12/27/newer-tsunami041226.html
Canadian News Link about the wave.

It really sucks. I think a Tsunami would be an awful, awful way to die. Combining drowning with getting smashed into things at high speeds = one of the worst ways to die I can imagine.

Natural disasters such as this always throw people for quite the loop. No one saw this coming, hay?

EDIT:
Death Toll according to CBC.ca
Sri Lanka: 12,029
India: 4,000
Indonesia: 4,991
Thailand: 918
Somalia: hundreds
Malaysia: 52
Maldives: 43
Myanmar: 30
Seychelles: 3
Bangladesh: 2
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 2 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 02:36:44 PM)

Hitting exactly a year after that one in Iran killed 40 thousand or so is creepy.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Psychotic Astronaut
Background Forummers

Complete fucking idiot. ^______________^

Ballkicks: (+42 / -94)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 3 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 02:56:00 PM)

Its kinda creepy cause I have a friend that went to Sri Lanka for the holidays.. I hope he's ok.
This is my signature

"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." ~Au
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 4 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 03:15:27 PM)

What's sickening is that after X seconds of talking about the tsunamis themselves and their effects, all TV channels invariably talk about the Western tourists for at least as much time as they talked about the general disaster.
Oisin kuollut kuusiöisnä, kaonnut kaheksanöisnä, oisi en paljoa pitänyt: vaaksan palttinapaloa, pikkaraisen pientaretta, emon itkua vähäisen, ison vieläki vähemmän, veikon ei väheäkänä. Aino, sister of Joukahainen. Kalevala, r. IV
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reply 5 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 03:25:50 PM)

My friend Anand is in India MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
my mouth is open, so you can stuff the bright red roses in
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 6 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 03:37:32 PM)

Honestly, I've never heard of a natural disaster striking so many places at the same time. Very curious. I wonder how each country will approach/recieve relief, and generally how each will address what has happened.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reply 7 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 03:42:09 PM)

Quote:
Somalia: hundreds

Holy shit, that must have been huge.
Oisin kuollut kuusiöisnä, kaonnut kaheksanöisnä, oisi en paljoa pitänyt: vaaksan palttinapaloa, pikkaraisen pientaretta, emon itkua vähäisen, ison vieläki vähemmän, veikon ei väheäkänä. Aino, sister of Joukahainen. Kalevala, r. IV
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 8 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 03:46:55 PM)

The death toll was at least 20,000 this morning. I think they may have increased that number already.
"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin

Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 9 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 04:25:43 PM)

RAWR TIDAL WAVE

Also, apparently it was the largest earthquake in the world in 40 years? Can anyone confirm/deny that?
That's about when I met nelly, she was the village belle.
I was just a panderer, but I loved that girl like hell.

Then along came a city slicker, all finely dressed and gay.
Before I knew it, the son of a bitch stole my nelly away.

So I'm just resting my bones a while, and then I'll be on my way.
I'll get the runt that swiped my cunt if it takes till the judgement day.
Coca-Cola
INTL Premium Member

MY WIG-WAM WOKS!

Ballkicks: (+503 / -183)
Reply 10 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 04:28:26 PM)

Quoted from Kitabatake:
RAWR TIDAL WAVE

Also, apparently it was the largest earthquake in the world in 40 years? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Confirm, or at least that's what they said on the news.
"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin

Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 11 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 04:29:44 PM)

Quoted from Kitabatake:
RAWR TIDAL WAVE

That's what I heard.

It's being given non-stop coverage on the news channels in England.
NNY
Alcoholics Anonymous
Forum Drunkard

Staying in alone, with my cat.

Ballkicks: (+666 / -76)
Reply 12 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 04:39:40 PM)

wasnt there two? ive seen two different articles floating around, one saying 8.1 and one saying 8.9. the 8.9 one being by indonesia, the other being south of tasmania.

Quote:
The largest earthquake for 40 years, measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale, has triggered a series of tsunami ocean waves which have hit coastal areas throughout Asia, including India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Thousands of people have been reported killed, including at least 1500 in Sri Lanka and 1000 in India. The Maldives in the Indian Ocean have been hit and holidaymakers in Thailand are also feared to be among the thousands of victims there.
The population of Aceh in Sumatra are believed to been hardest hit but news from that region is taking a long time to emerge since the area is already affected by conflict. The earthquake took place at sea and is the fifth strongest since 1900.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4125481.stm

Quote:
The massive quake, located half way between Australia and Antarctica, registered throughout Tasmania, but no injuries or structural damage were reported. The event occurred at the Macquarie Rise in the Pacific Ocean at 1.59am (AEDT) December 24th.
Initially ranked at 7.8 on the Richter scale, it was later determined to be an 8.1 event. This makes it the most massive since an earthquake off Peru coast in early 2001. This most recent event lasted 15 seconds.
Seismologist Cvetan Sinadinovski, with Geoscience Australia, said:
"The last earthquake of similar magnitude in the Macquarie Rise region was in 1924.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11775215%255E421,00.html
I hate yankees and this is one reason why. Just because you can't pay for 3 hot dogs doesn't mean that the economy is bad and ya'll think that bush is an idiot because he's from Texas. Well f you because he saved your ass from people like Sadam Houssein and don't go thinking i'm just a minupulated trailor trash illiterate for taking up for him because I'm smarter than 90% of the world.

"There's not a lot of cursing, swearing, personal cuts, there's not a lot of put downs, it's not you know screen-fulls of you know "go to hell", it's just surprising."

--- John Allen about "Internet"

Frightening social changes continued! And then the religious right began a righteous backlash! First they accused gays and lesbians of being promiscuous! And when this failed, they began accusing them of having long-term committed monogamous relationships and wanting to get married!
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 13 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 05:03:21 PM)

According to United States media coverage so far, you would believe that the 2 fucking Americans missing were a bigger story then the 20,000+ non-Americans killed. Jesus.

Quoted from Psychotic Astronaut:
Its kinda creepy cause I have a friend that went to Sri Lanka for the holidays.. I hope he's ok.
Why in god's name would anyone go to Sri Lanka unless you are Sri Lankan?
LEGISLATION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 14 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 05:17:51 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Quoted from Psychotic Astronaut:
Why in god's name would anyone go to Sri Lanka unless you are Sri Lankan?

It's actually a pretty big vacation spot.
I believe the quake tookplace at the general point where the Indo-European, Pacific and Australian plates meet. The subduction zone there is huge.
Bleed your wine so I can break the window.
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 15 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 06:57:55 PM)

Quote:
According to United States media coverage so far, you would believe that the 2 fucking Americans missing were a bigger story then the 20,000+ non-Americans killed. Jesus.

How can there only be two American tourists missing, considering the number of Americans that must be on vacation in that area?

Sweden has thousands of missing tourists, and we only have a total population of 9 million.
DRAHNIER
asthetik
I SHOULD READ THE HALL OF REJECTS MORE OFTEN!

making jabs at each other is what the internet is for you fucking idiots. oh, and for stealing things.

Ballkicks: (+333 / -161)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 16 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 07:06:35 PM)

Quote:
It's actually a pretty big vacation spot.
I believe the quake tookplace at the general point where the Indo-European, Pacific and Australian plates meet. The subduction zone there is huge.

Sri Lanka is the new Bali.

Bali has been a ghost town since the nightclub bombings there a few years ago, and while its just starting to come back the real trendsetters are going to Sri Lanka instead.

Quote:
Sweden has thousands of missing tourists, and we only have a total population of 9 million.

Most Americans choose exciting travel destinations like northern Mexico or Florida.
wir hören ein singen im raum...
wir jagen die monotomie...
wir machen aus stunden ein jahr
und mondschein aus unserem haar
wir fliegen so weit wie noch nie
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 17 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 07:43:09 PM)

I wonder if Ballard saw any of the effects.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 18 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 07:53:54 PM)

What I hear on the news, it was the biggest earth quake in 40 years for asia, and first time since the 30s they had massive waves.
<Amphytrite> let's face it, matt.
<Amphytrite> no one on the tele is ever going to make the right look good.
<the_red_chimp> put me on the tele
<the_red_chimp> I will
<IF0> no you won't
<Amphytrite> no.
<MrExcitable> no
Lucifer Beowulf Helidon
The Reel RS Krew
MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IS LUCIFER@ROKBOM.COM

LBH was here... All thats left are the shattered remains of a broken man.

Ballkicks: (+457 / -89)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 19 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 08:47:10 PM)

Quoted from Kitabatake:
RAWR TIDAL WAVE

tsunami != tidal wave
Public Service Announcement: OLD PEOPLE HAVE SEX
~ RokBom ~
Kitabatake
Fishing with Firecrackers

2efficient4spacebar

Ballkicks: (+450 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 20 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 09:08:13 PM)

Quoted from Lucifer Beowulf Helidon:
Quoted from Kitabatake:
RAWR TIDAL WAVE

tsunami != tidal wave

Am I wrong? MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
That's about when I met nelly, she was the village belle.
I was just a panderer, but I loved that girl like hell.

Then along came a city slicker, all finely dressed and gay.
Before I knew it, the son of a bitch stole my nelly away.

So I'm just resting my bones a while, and then I'll be on my way.
I'll get the runt that swiped my cunt if it takes till the judgement day.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 21 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 09:40:47 PM)

Quoted from LBH:
tsunami != tidal wave
Quoted from Webster's entry for tsunami:
a huge destructive wave (especially one caused by an
earthquake) [syn: tidal wave]
Quoted from Webster's entry for tidal wave:
A vast, swift wave caused by an earthquake or some
extraordinary combination of natural causes. It rises far
above high-water mark and is often very destructive upon
low-lying coasts.

i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reply 22 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 10:12:36 PM)

I have a friend in Malaysia on vacation at the moment, but fortunately it wasn't hit too hard.
C
Administrator

Level 90 Ginger

Ballkicks: (+723 / -204)
Reg. Date: Jun 2002
Reply 23 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 10:35:58 PM)

Here's what I've got so far...

Videos:

Phuket's Hit.
Phuket and Thailand.

Second video isn't quite up, but it will be soon.
I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 24 of 69 (Originally posted on: 12-27-04 11:20:48 PM)

They're saying the death toll could reach 50,000 with all the missing people.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 6205 | Total Posts: 69 ]