Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Batman: Begins > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3708 | Total Posts: 34 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
(Originally posted on: 12-21-04 08:28:44 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/batman_begins/trailer/

I for one am very excited for this to come out. Batman, on TV at least, has been one of my more favorite superheroes. To my dismay, there hasn't been a decent Batman movie since what's-his-name and Michelle Pfeiffer. So I'm looking forward to this because it actually looks like it'll be good. and less cartoony.

I've also heard that they're making a Batman: Beyond movie sometime soon too. For those of you nor familiar, Batman: Beyond is a sequal series to Batman that takes place in the future where some teenager becomes the new improved (and capeless) Batman under Wayne's guidance.

Of course Batman: Begins doesn't come out until June or something, so this thread will die and then rebump then.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 1 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 10:11:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I'm looking forward to this one, because it looks like they've finally gotten the right feel for how Batman should move. One of my biggest problems with the previous Batman movies (even the ones that were halfway decent) is that they put him in this big rubbery suit where it looked like he could barely even raise his arm to throw his batarang. Considering the martial arts training element in this movie, I hope that translates to Batsy being able to pull off some more impressive moves.

Also, the Scarecrow is one of my favorite villains, so I look forward to seeing what's done with him.
Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 2 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 10:58:45 AM)

This also has the best cast of any of the movies, and they're already so confident it will succeed, that they've got two more lined up.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Fuck you, your dog, and manifest destiny!
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member
My girlfriend is the Michelin Man

Ballkicks: (+514 / -60)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 3 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 11:33:02 AM)

So long Schumacher doesnt direct. He almost destroyed the Batman series and I still stand by my decision that Keaton was the best batman ever. However I think Bale is going to be a fantastic Batman. He is a great actor almost ready to bust out and become huge.
<Amphytrite> let's face it, matt.
<Amphytrite> no one on the tele is ever going to make the right look good.
<the_red_chimp> put me on the tele
<the_red_chimp> I will
<IF0> no you won't
<Amphytrite> no.
<MrExcitable> no
Marcher
Background Forummers

I'm jealous of Jesus.

Ballkicks: (+344 / -47)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 4 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 11:48:04 AM)

I saw the trailer for this yesterday, and it looks pretty sweet. I like Christian Bale a lot, so I'm counting on this to be good.
poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 5 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 02:50:48 PM)

I'm a Christian Bale fan too, and I think he'll do a pretty fine job as Batman. He has the perfect look of suave sophisticatino to be Bruce Wayne, but enough dark side of him (think American Psycho) to be a fanatical revenge-seeking hero.

I thought that the Scarecrow would have been right up Tim Burton's aisle as a director, but Christopher Nolan is pretty good, and I like where he's gone with the film so far.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reply 6 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 03:00:54 PM)

Question: Are they going for camp like Batman & Robin, or do they intend this to be a more or less serious film?
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 7 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 04:46:17 PM)

http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/#
some decent photos here, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman are in it.
<the_red_chimp> I will
<IF0> no you won't
<Amphytrite> no.
<MrExcitable> no
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 8 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 06:57:40 PM)

Quote:
Question: Are they going for camp like Batman & Robin, or do they intend this to be a more or less serious film?

Serious and Dark.

Think Batman Returns meets good plot.
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reply 9 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 09:03:14 PM)

I don't mind the idea of Batman being serious, but I loved the image of the 60's villains playing it up to the fullest and really taking the characters further. The more recent Batmans have sucked and the newest Penguin stands out as being disgusting instead of a comical and twisted villain that came up with ploys that included painting horses different colours - the one I loved. *tear*
"We two dead apple trees see no possums in the mist of your grandmother."
Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 10 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-21-04 10:22:53 PM)

Quoted from Hasty Penguin:
I don't mind the idea of Batman being serious, but I loved the image of the 60's villains playing it up to the fullest and really taking the characters further. The more recent Batmans have sucked and the newest Penguin stands out as being disgusting instead of a comical and twisted villain that came up with ploys that included painting horses different colours - the one I loved. *tear*

Yeah well that was to appeal to kids, and conservative people of the 60s. Batman in the comic always had a darkside and the characters were all not too nice. Joker, Penguine and Catwoman were the best characters. Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey did a decent job in their respective roles as two face and riddler but the movie lacked. Arnold as Mr Freeze was just awful considering Freeze is suppose to be a real asshole.
<the_red_chimp> I will
<IF0> no you won't
<Amphytrite> no.
<MrExcitable> no
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 11 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-22-04 12:16:15 PM)

The only Batman comics I ever bought were the darker ones, anyway. I loved the feel of it.

Never seemed to me like enough comics had that dark edge to them, and Batman certainly did. Having murderers who--*gasp*--actually comitted murder during the comic led credibility to the whole thing, rather than comics like Spiderman with idiots who fired electricity and that being their "murderous rampage" etc.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reply 12 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-22-04 01:11:54 PM)

Both the dark, badass Batman and the fun, campy Batman are enjoyable in their own ways. Certainly, there are some pretty grim elements to the story (i.e. Bruce Wayne's parents' murder) that are most effective and best befitting a brooding scenario, but in the absence of those, let's face it, the idea of a grown man running around in tights and a cape dressed as a 'bat' is silly, and great fun can be had with the idea.

I think the problem with the two later films (the ones directed by Schumacher) is that it tried to have both campiness and darkness, but was not successful in combining them into something fun to watch. It's hard to take something seriously if you make it absurd, and it's hard to make something silly if you take it seriously. Case in point: giving Batman sculpted nipples on his costume. How do you make your hero look badass if he wears a costume that's designed to make him look like he's got a permanent THO?

I think, so far, the animated series has been my favorite incarnation of Batman. It's dark, but it definitely brings out the humorous elements of most of the regular peanut gallery of villains, such as the Joker and the Penguin. There was one episode I remember where a bunch of villains (the above among them) were sitting around, playing cards and comparing their stories of how they almost defeated Batman. It's a decent compromise between the two sides, and does what, in my opinion, the latter movies tried unsuccessfully to do.
This reply was last edited on 12-23-04 10:35:40 AM by Spiff.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 13 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-25-04 08:22:03 PM)

Then it turned out that Crock was actually batman in a Crock disguise and all the bad guys were like WTF????
Amiodarone
INTL Premium Member

pronounces name 'ileu'

Ballkicks: (+126 / -46)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 14 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-26-04 02:57:14 AM)

I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I figured it would be the joker that he would have to fight, since the joker killed his parents, but I realized that it's a prequel to all the other movies. That's the one thing I hate about the batman series. They are goign to try to use a new villian every time , rather than possibly going back and using one of them correctly. However I do believe scarecrow will be good, and a movie with him should have been made long before this.
Vash The Stampede
We're not gonna give up the pot

IN VANUM LABORAT QUI OMNIBUS PLACERE CONTENDIT

Ballkicks: (+60 / -28)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 15 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-26-04 11:01:46 PM)

Well I'm certainly intrigued by the trailer, I loved the first two being all dark and gritty and was more than a little disapointed by the the last two being so colorful and child friendly. I know it's a comic book and cartoon and so on but still, in begining batman was a borderline psychopath, so I thought the way the cheesed him out was wrong. I'm bit a skeptical about Christian Bale as batman but the first time I heard about this movie they were thinking about giving the part to some rediculous idiot I can't recall anymore, so I guess things turned out all right.

Spiff, I know what episode of the cartoon you're talking about. I thought it was funny how everybody was telling their tales of elaborate plots that almost worked, but when it got to be Killer Croc's turn he just said "I had him cornered and I hit him with a rock, it was a big rock."
The Sixty Billion Double Dollar Man

There's a differnce between enough violence and enough violence for ME

There's no more grace to fall from, there's nowhere to go but down
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 16 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-26-04 11:42:22 PM)

Quote:
I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I figured it would be the joker that he would have to fight, since the joker killed his parents, but I realized that it's a prequel to all the other movies. That's the one thing I hate about the batman series. They are goign to try to use a new villian every time , rather than possibly going back and using one of them correctly. However I do believe scarecrow will be good, and a movie with him should have been made long before this.

Except that, you know, this isn't a prequel but a completely different telling of the story with two of its own sequels on the way...
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 17 of 34 (Originally posted on: 12-29-04 07:22:47 AM)

It's becoming harder for people to realize that Batman is subject to re-tellings. There have been so many movies that you want to put a number at the end of it. I'm thinking of this as a second chance.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 18 of 34 (Originally posted on: 01-01-05 12:08:21 AM)

Quote:
I figured it would be the joker that he would have to fight, since the joker killed his parents

Only in Burton's movie.
Andy DV

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+27 / -1)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 19 of 34 (Originally posted on: 01-06-05 04:07:18 PM)

ah i cant wait for this movie! i think bale is awesome, ever since i saw american psycho. he pulls of the alex ross-style batman perfectly. i thought the first and second batman were great, and the last two were probably the worst movies ive ever seen, especially 4. with the lineup they have on this one, i highly doubt it will disappoint.
O R they?
Mr Excitable
INTL Premium Member

Reply 20 of 34 (Originally posted on: 06-19-05 09:54:59 PM)

I just saw Batman Begins tonight and I have to say this movie was fantasic. Gotham City was portrayed not as some goofy city pulled right out of the comic book.

The villans were not over the top, stuffed full of bad catch phrases. The movie does a very good job explaining Batman himself and the character his equipment etc vs other previous movies.

Bale made batman seem like a real nasty man, not a friendly super hero but someone who would mess you up just for looking at him.

Neeson, Caine and Freeman seemed to fit in very well in their roles. Go see this movie!
www.the-party.org
This reply was last edited on 06-20-05 09:16:33 PM by Mr Excitable.
Unmotivated

My G-d is offended by the letter o.

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 21 of 34 (Originally posted on: 06-20-05 01:58:48 PM)

I also thought it was damned good. I think it gave the back story enough time to develop, and it was dark, but it wasn't without humour. I thought the Katie Holmes part was kind of useless (and I actually like her, well, sans Tom Cruise) but it didn't hurt the fikm too much. The villans were well done, and sorry for this completely female moment, but Christian Bale and Cillian Murphy are damn hot.
Ma-Newer
League of Super Sluts

It all became very clear to me sitting out there today that every decision Iíve ever made in my entire life has been wrong.

Ballkicks: (+1024 / -49)
Reg. Date: Sep 2003
Reply 22 of 34 (Originally posted on: 06-20-05 05:33:35 PM)

This movie was excellent. I loved the way they portrayed Gotham city.
Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Stormraider

im gay

Reply 23 of 34 (Originally posted on: 06-20-05 08:15:32 PM)

Definitely the best of the Batman films.

And I loved the little references to Comic fans, like Mr. Zsasz.
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 24 of 34 (Originally posted on: 06-22-05 10:16:23 AM)

The first 45 minutes of the movie was pretty bad, and so was the dialogue. However, it picked up once he actually started becoming Batman and held my way through the rest.
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3708 | Total Posts: 34 ]