Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Linux Corner: computers for something other than windows? WHAT > Lists and Links to Useful and Commonly Used Programs > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest.
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 5771 | Total Posts: 28 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 12-04-04 10:23:12 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

IF0's browser thread got me to thinking that we need to make a compilation of commonly used software that is also useful. I'll go ahead and start the list and the rest of you can go ahead and add onto it.

Bulletproof FTP - A simple and easy to use FTP client program. This comes in useful when you need to retrieve files from FTP servers. It's especially helpful when trying to download Linux distros, which are typically stored on the distro's FTP server. You get a 30-day trial period in which you get unlimited use out of the software.

WinRAR - An all-in-one program for storing and retrieving files from compressed files, such as .zip .rar .tar .gz and so forth. Instead of using multiple programs for different extensions, this one supports pretty much all of them. You get this for a 30-day trial, but you can continue using the software after that period of time.

Winamp - The best MP3 playing software out there. Winamp has been around for years and I've found it's the most stable and lowest demanding pieces of MP3 playing software out there. There are various other's out there, but Winamp has yet to fail me. Winamp is currently freeware.

ExactAudioCopy - ExactAudioCopy (or EAC) is the best program out there for extracing WAV files out of your audio CDs. It has a ton of useful (but slightly confusing) features to allow you to completely control how the audio is extracted from your CDs. EAC is freeware. In order to get the best result out of EAC, you will need to couple it with LAME, which is listed below.

LAME - LAME stands for "Lame Ain't an MP3 Encoder"; however, LAME is an MP3 encoder. It's one of THE best MP3 encoders out there. You will likely never have to use LAME directly, but most MP3 encoders automatically utilize LAME when encoding MP3s; if they don't, they should. If you use this in conjunction with EAC, just extract LAME anywhere on your disk drive, then have EAC search your disk drive for it or specify the location where you put LAME and you are set. LAME is freeware.

Trillian - Most of you have probably heard of Trillian before, so I'll keep this brief. Trillian is an all-in-one instant messenger that utilizes AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, ICQ, and IRC. Trillian 0.74 is freeware, but you are occasionally prompted to donate.

mIRC - mIRC is basically for connecting to IRC servers where you can essentially chat and download shit. While Trillian also has an IRC client, Trillian's IRC client sucks, thus the need for mIRC. There may be other IRC clients out there, but I've always been fond of mIRC. mIRC is shareware and after 30 days, you are prompted to register, but may still continue using the software.

Google Toolbar - If you are using Firefox, this is not necessary, as there is a pseudo-Google toolbar already included with Firefox, so this is primarily for those of you still foolish enough to be using Internet Explorer. Google Toolbar is freeware.

BitTornado - There are literally dozens of BitTorrent software applications out there, but I've found that BitTornado, formerly Shad0w's Experimental Client, is one of the best for my purposely. BitTornado is freeware.

DefilerPak - An all-in-one codec installation package. This program allows you to keep your video and audio codecs up-to-date so that you never get those annoying "cannot decompress audio/video" errors when trying to watch a video you download. However, this package only includes commonly used codecs, so you may still experience those errors. Software packages installed by DefilerPak are listed on the link above. DefilerPak is freeware.

DVD Decrypter - A highly useful piece of software that allows you to decrypt DVDs onto your hard drive and also burn them for backup purposes. With this program, it is possible to decrypt a DVD from a foreign region onto your hard drive and reburn it as your own region or region free. This comes in handy, especially if you're an Asian movie connoisseur as I am. DVD Decrypter is freeware.

DVD Shrink - Much like DVD Decrypter above, this program allows you to decrypt DVDs onto your hard drive and reburn them. However, this program is useful for converting larger DVDs into smaller DVDs (DVD-9 to DVD-5). DVD Shrink is freeware.

Nero Burning ROM - This is bar-none, the best burning software package out there. It supports just about every burning format and has a natural and logical interface for everyone from novice to advanced users. Nero Burning ROM is shareware, but until you register, you are restricted to 1x burns.

Okay, that's it for me. Go ahead and share your own useful programs.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
MBS

Ballkicks: (+130 / -100)
Reg. Date: Sep 2002
Reply 1 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 10:26:09 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I would also add AVG, ad-aware, or some other form of free anti virus and anti spyware software. Other than that very useful list, +1 =)
Kapn Xaos
OMG! OMG! LOOK its a Xaos group
Posting is now a bannable offence!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+97 / -144)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 2 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 10:52:13 AM)

I ussually go to the following sites for free programs...

www.webmasterfree.com

www.linuxwebmasterfree.com

all the programs are free...some good, some not so good.
I forgot I was banned from RS.MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 3 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 10:59:15 AM)

I don't think you people are very good at following examples.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 4 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 11:31:21 AM)

DAEMON Tools is a virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator. It is able to emulate nearly all known copy protections on the market today. So if you download a movie that comes split into .bin files you can watch it on your computer without having to burn it to disk first.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 02:36:49 PM)

The GIMP
http://www.gimp.org
The best free image manipulator/editor.

OpenOffice.org
http://www.openoffice.org
Office programs. An open source equivalent to Microsoft Office. Supports all Microsoft Office file formats and can perform the task of any Microsoft Office product.

7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org
The best free zip/compression/archiving program available. Supports seven different formats, and works much better than WinZip or any of the other shareware ones.

Power Tab Editor
http://www.power-tab.net
A must for any bassist/guitarist. Allows you to edit and create tabs and standard notation, play them back, and is just generally pretty cool.

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
A simple and useful sound editor.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.
Zing
BRUNET TILL BALD

Purrrfect timing.

Ballkicks: (+148 / -12)
Reg. Date: Sep 2004
Reply 6 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 03:49:18 PM)

Here's two small, free programs that I use for light work;

IrfanView, a 856.5KB download, a utility with fairly extensive viewing capabilities, along with some basic editing stuff (cropping, converting, size change).

Convert, 152KB. This program used by both the company I work for (Rockwell Collins, which supplies radio and satellite equipment to the airline and military industries) and NASA. Personally, I use it for physics and other science or math homework. It has oodles of units, with ability to add your own and accuracies to a lot of decimals.

And I already made this thread MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS

Edited in:

Waste, 617KB. This is a very secure (it's highly encrypted, just in case you're paranoid about companies finding out about illegal downloads), though somewhat hard to set-up, file sharing program that allows up to 50 people to connect together. It also allows you to easily tranfer files from home to work or vice-versa.
[whisper]
*lightnings*
/whisper]
This reply was last edited on 12-04-04 04:23:24 PM by Zing.
Me
I am clothed and male.

To the rescue

Ballkicks: (+62 / -43)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 7 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-04-04 07:08:58 PM)

Quintessential Player - The best MP3 playing software out there (And if you want it to it doesn't take up taskbar space). Quintessential Player is freeware.
Science Brad
INTL Premium Member
sigh

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Ballkicks: (+288 / -77)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 8 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 03:24:27 AM)

Gaim
Like trillian only slightly better. It works on most any OS and is compatible with AIM, ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, GroupWise Messenger, and Zephyr networks. You can log into multiple accounts simultaneously; tabbed IM convos if you wish; talk while away and there are several plug-ins that enhance the experience, such as the ability to control how long you have been idle.

Azureus
This is a Java BitTorrent Client. It has loads of features and plug-ins available and is great for managing lots of torrent downloads, prioritizing as you see fit. It is very customizable and by far I find it to be extremely stable. It can take up a lot of memory though since it runs through Java, but it is worth it.

Ad-Aware
This is an adware scanner that searches and helps eliminate adware on your PC. It is extremely useful and has many scanning options. I recommend using this in conjunction with the next program.

Spybot Search & Destroy
This small program has a lot of options for doing more than just scanning and eliminating spyware. It has options to block spyware downloads from running scripts. You have the option of letting it inform you when it blocks one, or just having them blocked silently. In addition it comes with TeaTimer which if activated prompts you for confirmation every time the registry is modified (I keep this off usually because it gets annoying). It also has an immunization function.

That's it for now. I'll post some more after I sleep some.
"Beware the man of a single book"
Bertrand Russell
"Spirituality: the last refuge of a failed human. Just another way of distracting yourself from who you really are"
George Carlin
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

My user given title was most likely given to me by a clitoral hood.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reply 9 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 04:00:47 AM)

ABC "Yet Another Bittorrent Client"
As Sandamnit mentioned, there are tons of BitTorrent Clients out there. I tend to use ABC, as it seems to work well for my intentions. It is based off of BitTornado, and is freeware.

dBPowerAMP
Useful for encoding a number of different sound formats, it has the ability to optionize your music files to the way that you want them to be done. It is freeware, and does not contain ads or spyware.

PHP Coder
While the PHP Coder is not useful for the PHP coding abilities it provides, I prefer it for its aesthetic qualities. It makes coding source code pleasant to read and write, as it differentiates between broken code, unbroken code, PHP Code, HTML Code, CSS, lines, etc. It is freeware, and works on most Operating systems; though it is quite old.

FTP Commander
FTP Commander is a ftp client which is the bare essentials. It's good for developers who just want to get the job done quickly, and without hassle. It is freeware.

DivX
DivX is a company which provides three main programs: A video encoder, a fast compression video viewing program, and a free video viewing program. It is useful in viewing a number of different formats, and has the ability to use additional plug-in codecs.

OGG Drop
OGG Drop is a fast, efficient and easy to use GUI program for converting certain files into OGG files. It seems to work much better than Lamedrop. It is freeware.

I will post more later tomorrow.
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
This reply was last edited on 12-05-04 04:08:51 AM by Sunn O))).
Widukind
MARCHINTOCH SI 4 DA FAGZZZZ

M/F? No one knows

Ballkicks: (+126 / -166)
Reg. Date: May 2003
Reply 10 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 02:10:48 PM)

Gkrellm
http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

Excellent monitoring program. Has a nice interface and a lot of plugins.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 11 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 02:35:34 PM)

All of these are completely free, and a number of them are open source.

Winamp v2.91
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/client/winamp291_full.exe
This is a direct link to download an older version of Winamp that is not supported anymore. I find this version to be more stable, and it require less system resources than other version.

SoulSeek
http://www.slsknet.org/
A good spyware and adware free file sharing app.

Post Assistant
http://go.to/postassistant
Creates a SFV-file, an info file (including track list) and a Winamp playlistfile for a bunch of audio files. Useful when ripping CDs, especially if you post them to any FTP sites or Torrent trackers.

Mp3tag
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Good for editing the ID3 tags of many MP3s at once.

MakeTorrent
http://krypt.dyndns.org:81/torrent/maketorrent/index.phtml
Little app for creating torrent files.

Firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html
My web browser of choice.

FileZilla
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla
My FTP client of choice.

AbiWord
http://www.abisource.com/
A good word processor.

Miranda IM
http://www.miranda-im.org/
Another multiprotocol IM client

CDex
http://www.cdex.n3.net/
another cd ripper

EDIT: Does anyone know of a good, free CD burning app? Like Nero, except free.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

This reply was last edited on 12-05-04 03:03:34 PM by emtilt.
Sith
INTL Premium Member
Mango

Snake high score hog

Ballkicks: (+50 / -6)
Reply 12 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 02:57:54 PM)

Flashget
http://www.amazesoft.com/

An excellent download manager. Enough said. Ad-supported until you register though.

Zonealarm Pro
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

One of (if not the) best software firewall out there. Setting it up is simple, even for the novice user, whilst allowing experts to add custom rules if they see fit.
Me
I am clothed and male.

To the rescue

Ballkicks: (+62 / -43)
Reply 13 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 05:58:59 PM)

Quote:
Mp3tag
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Good for editing the ID3 tags of many MP3s at once.

I love you. I'm so anal about my ID3 tags.
Trofozoito
i post this tag for death INTL no matter ban

Do me, huggy bear!

Ballkicks: (+317 / -54)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
Reply 14 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 07:41:41 PM)

Quintessential player:
www.quinnware.com
Uses less resources than Winamp, and has the same audio quality. As I am not a video or viualization man, this works perfect for me.

Shareaza:
www.shareaza.com
Spyware and advertisement free, has a descent download speed and uncommon files, unlike kazaa.

Registry mechanic:
www.winguides.com/regmech
Looks for junk inside your registry, like files and programs you have uninstalled, and deletes it. I think it has been good for my computer, and it runs faster. It's not free :/

Style XP:
www.tgtsoft.com
The ugly and depressing appeareance of WindowsXP can be fixed with this stuff. There are thousands of visual styles for free, the program also can change the logon screen, the icons and the transparency of the explorer. It doesnt take resources if you want. Not free.

Avant browser:
www.avantbrowser.com
For me, this browser browses perfectly, and views properly all pages, and the tabbrowsing works good by default.
I tried firefox, but, set all those extensions to get the tabs working properly without opening new windows, was a pain. All those to discover that this Firefox takes twice the resources that Avant takes.
Cthulhu lives!
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 15 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 08:04:31 PM)

Quoted from Trofozoito:

Avant browser:
www.avantbrowser.com
For me, this browser browses perfectly, and views properly all pages, and the tabbrowsing works good by default.
I tried firefox, but, set all those extensions to get the tabs working properly without opening new windows, was a pain. All those to discover that this Firefox takes twice the resources that Avant takes.

That's because it uses the IE rendering engine. So it still has all the security issues and many of the bugs that IE has.

Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reply 16 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-05-04 08:07:11 PM)

Opera Internet Browser
www.opera.com

A really good browser, quite fast and small, takes fewer res. then any other browser i have tried, has integrated irc and mail client which as both satisfactory but nothing to terribly special. Has many cool skins as well which aren't a hassle to install. Never need to install plugins, everything comes with. The only drawback is the banner ad, but is really easy to get rid of if you look hard enough.

Foobar2000
www.foobar2000.org

a sorta open-source audio player. really small in resource usage, allows multiple playlists open at once for better organization, awesome mp3 ID3 tagger, realplaygain. I feel the interface is better than winamp's, Itunes is sorta like it i guess.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."
"If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

GLEEK

Ballkicks: (+414 / -233)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 17 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 08:24:21 AM)

Quoted from Bon:

Foobar2000
www.foobar2000.org

a sorta open-source audio player. really small in resource usage, allows multiple playlists open at once for better organization, awesome mp3 ID3 tagger, realplaygain. I feel the interface is better than winamp's, Itunes is sorta like it i guess.
How is it sort of open source if I can't see the source code OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Reply 18 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 12:06:31 PM)

Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from Bon:

Foobar2000
www.foobar2000.org

How is it sort of open source if I can't see the source code OMG why is Dad kissing that guy?!?
Try downloading the SDK that's on their site.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 19 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 02:17:35 PM)

Quoted from Sandamnit:
Quoted from antpocas:
Quoted from Bon:

Foobar2000
www.foobar2000.org

Try downloading the SDK that's on their site.
I did. I don't think I can actually compile foobar2k with it.

Anyway, contributing:

G3 Torrent - A Bittorrent client written in Python. It's a lot like Azureus, but it doesn't fuck your computer in the ass.
Bon

Village Idiot

Ballkicks: (+162 / -84)
Reply 20 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-06-04 07:30:11 PM)

when i say sorta, i mean that every single component except the core is open-source. i think. i don't really know that for sure.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reply 21 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-07-04 04:36:45 AM)

I like to know the weather, how cold it is outside, crap like that, so here's a little toolbar program to tell you just that:

WeatherBug
^The superior program, tells you all sorts of information, but I think only works within the U.S.

Desktop Weather
^From weather.com, does pretty much the same stuff as WeatherBug, only it works in Canada... I think. I have a little program called "WeatherEye" and I can't find it now. It just tells me the outside temperature, and really that's all I need to know, because if I want to know if it's raining or snowing I can look out the window.

Firefox also has a WeatherFox extension that puts a little icon up in the corner of your browser, with the temperature, sky condition, and wind speed.
antpocas
"Sex is not dating."

GLEEK

Reply 22 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-07-04 10:44:05 AM)

Quoted from kayte:
WeatherBug
^The superior program, tells you all sorts of information, but I think only works within the U.S.
If I recall correctly, that has either spyware or adware.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 23 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-08-04 02:43:37 PM)

WeatherBug does indeed have adware at the very least.

Weather Watcher is a good program that has neither adware nor spyware.
etymxris
INTL Developer

JUST AS PLANNED

Ballkicks: (+179 / -16)
Reply 24 of 28 (Originally posted on: 12-08-04 06:17:58 PM)

Putty
- SSH client for windows.

Real VNC
- Remotely control windows machines.

MKS toolkit (not free)
- More lightweight and easily usable set of tools to do UNIX like things on Windows. I prefer it to Window's Services for UNIX and Cygwin.

VMWare Workstation (not free)
- Must have for the modern dev environment. VMWare on a powerful machine can replace a physical lab full of hetergenous machines.

I also agree that 7-zip, FileZilla, and Firefox are very useful.
http://clevernothing.org
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5771 | Total Posts: 28 ]