Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > I have approximately one week to buy books that I will be taking to Iraq. > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] [ Thread Views: 5170 | Total Posts: 68 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
(Originally posted on: 11-10-04 07:36:29 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I know this has been done a few times before, but I have somewhat of a different twist to this one.

Anyway, here are books I've read and liked:

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk
Catcher in the Rye (albeit a long time ago)
Fahrenheit 451
Brave New World
American Psycho
Anthem
I, Robot
Heart of Darkness
The Jungle
Crime and Punishment (though I didn't finish it)

Those are only the few that stuck out in my mind. It would be stupid to list all the books I own and have read, however, that cross-section should give you an idea of what types of books I like.

So make suggestions, because I'll be going out this weekend and buying about 20 or so books to ship to Iraq that way I'll have some shit to read while I'm over there.

Also, please link me to either Barnes and Nobles, Borders, a review, or something, that way I can determine whether the book sounds interesting enough to purchase.

Thanks in advance, because I'm not going to reply to every single post saying "thanks".

Also, my feet smell like chocolate.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
Hasty Penguin
get in the box
People are a danger to society.

there is a guy who gets it on with three girls at once and they all have amazing unibrows

Ballkicks: (+1307 / -46)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 1 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 07:42:50 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

A Wild Sheep Chase
Dance Dance Dance

both by Haruki Murakami and both are excellent reads. The style of writing is very enticing/captivating (I found), and there is a good amount of symbolism and unrealistic real things. It is a Japanese author, and I know you're into Asian films and stuff, so you'd probably get even more out of these books than I did.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679753796/qid=1100138385/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/103-0917285-8058256?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

The link to the Dance Dance Dance customer reviews, and also links to the A Wild Sheep Chase page. I highly recommend both.
"We two dead apple trees see no possums in the mist of your grandmother."
Theatre on the Edge
My Musical Compositions
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 2 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 07:45:48 PM)

Are you being serious about going to Iraq?
"Bush is widely expected to lose this election, serve a second term, and then be named emperor in 2008."
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 3 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 07:58:26 PM)

If you liked I, Robot, you may want to try the detective series based around it, also by Asimov, starting with The Caves of Steel. The middle book is The Naked Sun, and the last, which I have not read and thus cannot reccommend, is The Robots of Dawn.
Spiff
!!!

gtfo

Ballkicks: (+258 / -11)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 4 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 08:10:23 PM)

Seconded Hasty's suggestion. A Wild Sheep Chase is a great read.

Some of the best books I'v read in recent years were written by an author named Neal Stephenson. The two I recommend most strongly are the cyberpunk-esque Snow Crash and The Diamond Age. Both have really vivid worlds of the future (some aspects of which parody what is today) and engaging storylines.
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 5 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 08:14:43 PM)

The Last Samurai, Helen DeWitt
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Dave Eggers
The Metamorphosis and Other Stories, Franz Kafka
House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski

I forgot to mention House of Leaves. It's coal.
my mouth is open, so you can stuff the bright red roses in
This reply was last edited on 11-10-04 08:20:41 PM by Guy Tuttle and Ass.
Amphytrite
Hard for Drah

I don't really even like hearing about it or reading about it

Ballkicks: (+1869 / -83)
Reg. Date: Apr 2004
Reply 6 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 08:16:14 PM)

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Unbelievable. If I could only recommend one book this would be it.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312422156/qid=1100138538/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. More of a modern lit read, but it's really good.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316143464/qid=1100139621/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227

The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I haven't read it myself but I've heard nothing but great reviews.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671027344/qid=1100140158/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. If you enjoyed Anthem then you'll probably enjoy this-it's a tough read but very well worth it.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0451191153/qid=1100140292/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227

On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Haven't read this either, but it's on my bookshelf and probably the next thing I'll read. I read a couple excepts in Lit that were amazing.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140042598/qid=1100140365/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Or anything by Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle is probably my favourite by him, though. It's quite humourous and an interesting read.
Amazon.com review: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/038533348X/qid=1100140540/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/002-7080732-9471227
<HPenguin> Canadian Mafia are called the Peace Corps

<emtilt> being a vegetarian is like being gay, you're just born that way

It's true, in New Jersey only the strong lunged survive -Dimi
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reply 7 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 08:44:41 PM)

Holy shit... Sandamnit is going to Iraq? *sigh* Well that makes two people I know...

Anyway, one of my personal favourite books is:

Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot. Amazon describes it much better than I could, but I found it fascinating and enjoyable; mixing science and humanism.
Amazon link

Good luck, Jeff.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Ballkicks: (+486 / -41)
Reply 8 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 08:58:42 PM)

All the reccomendations so far are excellent. Here's some more:

Anything by Phillip K. Dick, especially Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? or The Man In the High Castle or Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. Marvelous science fiction, with a dystopian tone. Big influence on the cyberpunk literature that came after him.

You might have already read it, but, if not, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Anything by William Gibson, I suggest starting with Neuromancer. If you like Gibson, then you will probably also like Spiff's suggestions. He's one of the forerunners of the cyberpunk genre.

Candide by Voltaire. It's hilarious.

If you are up for a plays, I suggest Our Town by Thornton Wilder or No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre. The latter was originally written in French (it's French title is Huis Clos), and is a very interesting depiction of hell. The second quote in my sig is a famous line from it.

Anything by Vonnegut- especially Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, or The Sirens of Titan.

If you haven't already, read some of Bradbury's short stories. In my opinion, the two best collections are The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man, but all his stuff is good. He, along with Poe, is possibly the best short story writer ever.

If you like Gibson or Stephenson, also check out Bruce Sterling. Heavy Weather and Holy Fire are both good. If you like this style, then you may also want to check out stuff by Rudy Rucker and Pat Cadigan.

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift is both funny and excellent, if you are willing to tolerate something that old.

Hemmingway is always good; personal favorites are The Sun Also Rises and The Old Man and the Sea.

If you like fantasy with some sci-fi elements, I suggest something by Roger Zelazny, especially The Amber Chronicles.

HG Wells - The War of the Worlds and The Time Machine

Anything from the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card is good. It's a pretty easy read, too.

The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect is a great dystopian science fiction novel. It was originally published online (and is still available for reading for free on the net) and the only way to get a hard copy of it is by ordering it. It's quite good though, and very, very graphic.

Hope those helped. If you have any more specific requirements for what you want, I'm sure I can come up with more that meet them.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

[w]L'enfer, c'est les autres.

This reply was last edited on 11-10-04 11:11:38 PM by emtilt.
Me
I am clothed and male.

To the rescue

Ballkicks: (+62 / -43)
Reply 9 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:15:05 PM)

The Da Vinci Code

I just finished reading it and I couldn't put it down at all. A really interesting read.

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/plot.html\

Oh yeah, and anything by Joseph Heller, especially God Knows and Catch-22.
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 10 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:17:08 PM)

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman
Air Bud
Internet Superstar

Some plants even masturbate into their own vaginas in order to reproduce.

Ballkicks: (+918 / -56)
Reg. Date: Sep 2001
Reply 11 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:20:26 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Are you being serious about going to Iraq?
Yeah dude, I'm totally trying to prank you all.

I'm not leaving until January though.
"Legolas grasped onto his bodkin arrow and stroked it steadily. It was but a few moments later that Legolas would let forth a mighty war cry and shoot millions of tiny arrows into Luthien's mouth. Being the expert archer that Legolas was, not a single one of his tiny arrows missed its target."
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 12 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:23:25 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
Holy shit... Sandamnit is going to Iraq? *sigh* Well that makes two people I know...

Anyway, one of my personal favourite books is:

Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot. Amazon describes it much better than I could, but I found it fascinating and enjoyable; mixing science and humanism.
Amazon link

Good luck, Jeff.
Sagan is great, as is Ayn Rand.

PS. Good luck killing sandniggers Sandamnit.
"Bush is widely expected to lose this election, serve a second term, and then be named emperor in 2008."
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 13 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:24:47 PM)

Quoted from Me:
The Da Vinci Code

I just finished reading it and I couldn't put it down at all. A really interesting read.

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/plot.html\\

God, that guy is such a shitty writer.

PS - Agreed that Sagan and Rand are brilliant.
i've never been perfect // but i never meant to drag down you // so if i'm dragging you down now // i could wait in the lost and found // just promise me you'll be perfect // and i promise that i'll come around sometimes // to say // hello // all smiles[/w]

Me
I am clothed and male.

To the rescue

Ballkicks: (+62 / -43)
Reply 14 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:25:58 PM)

You have to admit it was a good book.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
Reply 15 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:28:02 PM)

I highly suggest America: The Book by The Daily Show crew. It's quite hilarious, very tongue/cheek.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Reply 16 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:30:37 PM)

Quoted from Me:
I found both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code pretty boring overall.

Dan Brown gave me the impression that he was infatuated with his own writing style.
emtilt

the cow of horses

Reply 17 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:33:24 PM)

Quoted from Me:

No, I dont. I found them boring and trite. And his writing syle is hideous - he seems incredibly full of himself despite writing in incredibly undeveloped and primitive prose. I thought that book was rather bad, actually.

poop
$$~~~Crips~~~$$
slooooooooooooots

i'd expect more sorcery in a place called mana pools

Ballkicks: (+731 / -71)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 18 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 09:43:03 PM)

Quoted from emtilt:
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect is a great dystopian science fiction novel. It was originally published online (and is still available for reading for free on the net) and the only way to get a hard copy of it is by ordering it. It's quite good though, a very, very graphic.

I remember I posted a thread about this book WAY back in the day, back when I first discovered it.

Easily one of my favorite books, even though I never owned a printed copy. Amazing stuff.
goatsnacks
Administrators

"When I decide to brush (maybe once a week)" -Snook, INTL's #1 Scrub

Ballkicks: (+512 / -167)
Reg. Date: Feb 2004
Reply 19 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 10:10:04 PM)

You should really check out Daniel Wallace, author of Big Fish and The Watermelon King. His writings are very easy to follow and abstractly visual.
//"sometimes I'm a dumbass. "//:fork://DOWNS SYNDROME LIKE DDR STOMP STOMP HEEERT SNORT//"Everyone on earth flees in annyoance when I speak." thats "anoyunce" you goddamn moron//Everyone on earth flees in annyoance when I speak.// //PLEASE GIVE ME THE PICTURE YOU SHIT//i suck, but not quite as much as captain faggot//GIVE ME THE PICTURE YOU FUCK!//I think Xaos sucks, Just like everyone else so I'm gonna be original and change his title to say he's a dumbass so people will like me.//I'm going to burn \$215 million because I think I'm cool and rebellious!//smokestak//AUBERGINEMAN//New avatar, same old dumbass//My brain is monatomic!//toggaF//Faggot (Not an acronym)//Please take my money//CEO, INTL Savings & Loan//Smell my wonderful toxin filled flatuence//I really should stop posting
This reply was last edited on 11-10-04 10:24:32 PM by goatsnacks.
Alyantis
FEMALE

Ballkicks: (+89 / -25)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 20 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 10:28:46 PM)

The Foundation Series is supposed to be good. (Asimov).
I Cant Skat3: Well, I may be stupid. I'll let others decide that.
Skye
INTL Premium Member
Droog Queen

I love Skye

Ballkicks: (+781 / -120)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 21 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 10:50:31 PM)

I can send you my copy of Crime and Punishment and save you some cash.

Paul Zindel writes some good things. The Chocolate War and Beyond the Chocolate War comes to mind.
a signature is the new custom title this season. duh.
blacksun

dooooooooood I'm like soooooo high

Ballkicks: (+74 / -90)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 22 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 11:03:18 PM)

Quoted from Alyantis:
The Foundation Series is supposed to be good. (Asimov).

I've read one of the books. It was quite good.

Emtilt speaks wisely, although I've only read maybe half of the books/authors that he mentioned.

If you like Vonnegut, you might try Welcome to the Monkey House, a collection of his short stories. Contains several outstanding pieces and a few lousy ones.
Lyle

My penis is huge

Ballkicks: (+243 / -48)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 23 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 11:03:55 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
I highly suggest America: The Book by The Daily Show crew. It's quite hilarious, very tongue/cheek.
Seconded.

I'm too lazy to post a link, but Angela's Ashes and Tis by Frank McCourt and Singing My Him Song by his brother Malachy McCourt were all really interesting reads, if you like biographies.
nimo

lvl 16 wizard, yo

Ballkicks: (+321 / -17)
Reg. Date: Apr 2002
Reply 24 of 68 (Originally posted on: 11-10-04 11:53:58 PM)

American Gods
Neverwhere
If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie actor (by Bruce Campbell)
Naked Pictures of Famous People (by John Stewart)
Enders Game
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
You Shall Know our Velocity

They're all super-sweet.
www.cincinnati.kicks-ass.net/nimo
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 3 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 5170 | Total Posts: 68 ]