Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Discussion Forums > The "Song A Day" Thread Forum > WWIII > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: D drahnier
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 3368 | Total Posts: 43 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
In all seriousness, do you think WWIII is in the foreseeable future, aka ~50~ years or less?
This poll has expired.
No, you're dumb. 10 votes, 20.408%
Yeap, Yanks are fucked. 5 votes, 10.204%
I doubt it, just political tension. 6 votes, 12.245%
It's possible, but unlikely. 12 votes, 24.49%
Wouldn't surprise me a bit. 13 votes, 26.531%
Undoubtedly. 3 votes, 6.122%
Totals: 49 votes, 103.058%
Modify Poll
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Ballkicks: (+122 / -35)
Reg. Date: Aug 2003
(Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:02:13 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I think it's possible that the USA and her (any) allies may find themselves on the defensive in our lifetimes.
I think that the idea of WWIII is not worth much serious consideration, but that the world seems to be headed in the right direction so far.
I think the odds are better that it will turn around though.

I chose option 4.

Try not to limit this to a "The world hates Bush" mindset, look at it from a larger, global standpoint.
The issues (if any) in asia, and eastern europe.
Far north?
What about the French?
Africa?
Aussies?

Think for a minute.
Ok, that's good to know...

This is the New York Times quoting a federal payroll:
Associate Assistant Secretary
Assistant Assistant Secretary
Deputy Assisstant Assistant Secretary
Associate Deputy Assistant Secretary
Chief of Staff to Associate Assistant Secretary
Chief of Staff to the Assistant Assistant Secretary
Principal Deputy to the Deputy Assistant Secretary <... me
Principle Assistant Deputy Undersecretary
Associate Principle Deputy Assistant Secretary
Wanderlust
Background Forummers

"lad's new rut"

Ballkicks: (+116 / -37)
Reg. Date: Feb 2003
Reply 1 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:20:04 PM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I can see another semi-Cold War between the West and China happening in the near future. Does that count?
STFU, biatch
not bobby

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUCKING!

Ballkicks: (+460 / -108)
Reply 2 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:27:10 PM)

"No, you're dumb."
Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Ballkicks: (+257 / -16)
Reg. Date: Jul 2003
Reply 3 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:38:41 PM)

North Korea is going to continue to give us mounds of trouble, not to mention the fact that we are depleting the number of US soldiers stationed in South Korea by about 12,000 or so by 2008, and turning over military bases (except for Camp Red Cloud, Camp Humphreys/Osan, Camp Hialeah, and Camp Walker) to South Korean forces. If we took a pre-emptive attack against NK, China would turn up against us just for the fact that NK is communist, not to mention it's neighbor.

The Phillipines is going to continue to fight amongst itself, and we're eventually going to try to police the situation again. We have some forces there now, but the operations are rather similar to the Contra missions of the '80s, training natives to become operatives for their/our cause.

Saudi Arabia is going to be a hot spot in the next 50 years as well. Currently they are having so many issues with terrorist cells in their country alone that their government will most likely be overthrown within 30 or so years. Once Saudi Arabia falls, we'll be back to the middle east for yet another oil war.

Palestine is going to continue to pester the ever-living fuck out of Isreal, and we're going to continue sitting on our thumbs about it until shit starts getting extremely serious there. Once someone brandishes a nuclear weapon, we'll be running to back Isreal faster than an obscenely drunk man looks for a place to piss.

India and Pakistan continue to battle it out, and within the past few years have actually threatened each other with nuclear weapons. They're locked in a cold war status at the moment, but it won't take long for major fighting to break out the moment North Korea would be attacked. I say this mostly because of the fact that it will take a large amount of man-power to tackle NK/China, so we'll be strapped for forces when India and Pakistan duel it out.

Afghanistan will just continue to rebuilding until someone feels like invading it again after we pull out. Hell, we only have 14,000 soldiers there right now anyhow, we've practically pulled out as it is.

Bosnia will most likely be fought over again, but by whom I don't know or care. As long as we can pick up our strategy in Bosnia where we left off, we'll only need the Air Force for that shithole of a country.

The French will continue it's anti-war motive, and if they are involuntarily involved, we'll see a lot of rifles for sale on the black market tagged "never fired, dropped once".
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
-George Santayana
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 4 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:44:51 PM)

And with all that you still voted no?

Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Surely something dumber has come up since my apparent forgetfulness for STDs and doctor visits.

Reply 5 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:50:34 PM)

Quoted from Menion:
And with all that you still voted no?

I voted "Yanks are fucked". I have no idea where you got No from out of all of that.
-George Santayana
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 6 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 11:51:44 PM)

Oh, I just guessed because right about the same time you posted, I got another "No, you're dumb" vote.

I was utterly confused, because the nature of your argument sounded like " I see nothing BUT war" so I was asking.

I don't think there's actually a way to tell who voted what, is there?

Wandering Idiot
INTL Premium Member

Reply 7 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 12:11:20 AM)

Figuring out who voted what would be up to a admin or mod. I'm fairly positive it can be done, but only with special powers granted by the almighty Secret Santa.
-George Santayana
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

gotta get that VICTORY ROYALE #gamer #memes #LoL

Ballkicks: (+1782 / -130)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 8 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 12:14:33 AM)

I voted "no".

The world wars were conflicts between two sides with approximately equal resources. There is no possible scenario that could emerge in the next 50 or so years that would approximate that to the extent that it would be called a "world war".

Any large-scale conflict will inevitably involve the United States, and once the US weighs in on one side the outcome is more or less decided.
my mouth is open, so you can stuff the bright red roses in
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 9 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 02:08:48 AM)

Quoted from Menion:
Try not to limit this to a "The world hates Bush" mindset, look at it from a larger, global standpoint.

"The world hates Bush" pretty much seems like a large global standpoint to me.

People hate each other everywhere and it all seems to boil down to religion and race. Sad really.
Smokey
INTL Premium Member
fuck this title

funkle smokey

Ballkicks: (+845 / -114)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 10 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 03:15:23 AM)

I love how people anticipate WWIII like the prom. WWIII won't come at all, we'll just be nuked without warning and that'll be that. Duh.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 11 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 04:21:19 AM)

Quote:
What about the French?

What about them? I figure they'll keep living in France. Are you seriously suggesting us to consider France as a serious possible cause for another world war?

The only situation that could arise in the next 50 years or so and that would imply another "world war" (and I don't think this would be the correct term) would be US vs China, fighting for the control over the scarce oil reserves. But tell me, who do you think would ally with China? North Korea? Nope. The evil Muslims? Yeah sure. Russia? Hahaha. Come on. Unless things change a lot, China would have to limit herself to some sort of Cold War with small localized conflicts against the US, fighting for the strategical, and not military, control of oil reserves.
-Ne con ic noht singan
-Hwre u meaht singan
Menion
INTL Premium Member
Regular

Man-Onions

Reply 12 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 05:25:22 AM)

Yea, about as much as I was Australia dude.
If you'd turn off your auto-gripe mode and relax a minute, you might be able to see that this was just a poll.

I'm not suggesting anything at all, I just wondered what everyone else was thinking.

The only purpose of those options was to get your mind off the election for a few minutes.

Stormraider
User is currently banned until further notice.

im gay

Reply 13 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 09:01:10 AM)

I believe his point, was that instead of listing the issues currently affecting the world, you listed these:

Quote:
Far north?
What about the French?
Africa?
Aussies?

Short of internal African conflicts, there ARE no issues going on in this list. Seems rather pointless given your thread objective.
Stormraider- 73.275% of your daily dose of Cynical Jackass!!
Passionate Apathy: Not just a paradox, but a lifestyle.
Kapn Xaos
OMG! OMG! LOOK its a Xaos group
Posting is now a bannable offence!

LBH was here.

Ballkicks: (+97 / -144)
Reg. Date: Jun 2004
Reply 14 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 09:09:41 AM)

Orson Wells tells us that Nostradamus said to look for the man in the blue turbin to make an attack on america to start WWIII.

Taken from The Movie The Man Who Saw Tomorrow (1981)
Bebop

cups are only really useful for people drinking

Ballkicks: (+219 / -19)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 15 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 10:38:32 AM)

Quoted from Menion:
I don't think there's actually a way to tell who voted what, is there?
Premium members used to be able see all the votes, but not any more.

And what about France?
jimmy
Selber Schuld, kein Mitleid

I am really bad at giving custom titles and, well, the internet in general tbqh

Ballkicks: (+506 / -233)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 16 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 11:05:21 AM)

Comedy "Y'all are some paranoid fucks" option.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 17 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 11:30:53 AM)

Quoted from Stormraider:
I believe his point, was that instead of listing the issues currently affecting the world, you listed these:

Quote:
Far north?
What about the French?
Africa?
Aussies?

Short of internal African conflicts, there ARE no issues going on in this list. Seems rather pointless given your thread objective.

Exactly. The topic is so speculative and uncertain by itself that if you don't give at least some logical and probable starting premises it is sort of dumb.
-Ne con ic noht singan
-Hwre u meaht singan
drahnier
INTL VIP
:iceburn:

Ballkicks: (+886 / -232)
Reply 18 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 04:12:39 PM)

Quote:
The French will continue it's anti-war motive, and if they are involuntarily involved, we'll see a lot of rifles for sale on the black market tagged "never fired, dropped once".

Because the French army can't fight and all their soldiers always surrender, right?
LOL that is so true.

I'm not even sure where all this shit about the French comes from.
They TRIED to fight in the second world war, but they got slaughtered and when they were defeated they gave up.
Even when they HAD given up though, a lot of Frenchmen kept fighting.

In the first world war, they actually held off the Germans and kept fighting in a horrible demoralizing trench war.
So whats the deal?

Also, i think Russia is pretty dangerous, they're a major world power with an authoritarian dictator who doesn't mind using military force.
I mean, Putin is like Bush times ten, it's horrible.
He's succeeded in everything that Bush probably wants to accomplish, when it comes to taking complete control of the country and censoring everyone else.
And they both use the same "fear of terrorism" shit to keep the people afraid.

I'm not sure who Russia would actually get into a conflict with that could start a big war though.
Maybe Europe, somehow in the future?
Or China?
DRAHNIER
This reply was last edited on 11-04-04 04:21:49 PM by drahnier.
Tyr

I cybered with Kayte

Ballkicks: (+479 / -130)
Reply 19 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 06:07:00 PM)

Drahnier is right, and I hate that French bashing bullshit.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, France is in a shitty, shitty location for strategic purposes, and most of its natural defenses are in the middle of the country, or to the south defending it from the MILITARY POWERHOUSE AND STRONGMAN STATE OF SWITZERLAND.

I'm sure any other country thrown into France's borders could have done so much better.
Vervet
Anti-wiki

Ballkicks: (+875 / -84)
Reg. Date: Nov 2002
Reply 20 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 07:09:03 PM)

Quoted from Tyr:
Drahnier is right, and I hate that French bashing bullshit.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, France is in a shitty, shitty location for strategic purposes, and most of its natural defenses are in the middle of the country, or to the south defending it from the MILITARY POWERHOUSE AND STRONGMAN STATE OF SWITZERLAND.

I'm sure any other country thrown into France's borders could have done so much better.

Maybe if they were American they wouldn't be so French.
Das Krokodil lebt!
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 21 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 07:34:59 PM)

Quoted from Wanderlust:
I can see another semi-Cold War between the West and China happening in the near future.
I can see a real war, and possibly one involving N.Korea as well.
"Bush is widely expected to lose this election, serve a second term, and then be named emperor in 2008."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 22 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 11:36:37 PM)

Quoted from Dante:
Quoted from Wanderlust:
I can see another semi-Cold War between the West and China happening in the near future.

Oh yeah? You can "see" a war? Do elaborate.
Dante

cocks in my mouth

Ballkicks: (+661 / -97)
Reg. Date: May 2004
Reply 23 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-05-04 08:21:23 PM)

Quoted from ice:
Quoted from Dante:
Quoted from Wanderlust:

Oh yeah? You can "see" a war? Do elaborate.
As long as the Bush Doctrine of preemptive war is in place (which is at least four and half more years), war should be expected. A "threat" could be perceived from any number of countries, and if the case of Iraq is truely the Bush Administration's precedent, then they have to act on countries such as Iran, China and N. Korea.
"Bush is widely expected to lose this election, serve a second term, and then be named emperor in 2008."
Guy Tuttle and Ass
Global Moderator

Reply 24 of 43 (Originally posted on: 11-05-04 09:14:41 PM)

Why would they have to act on China? What's China doing?

And, in any case, conflict with Iran and North Korea does not constitute a "world war".
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 3368 | Total Posts: 43 ]