Username [Register?]: | Password [Lost Password?]: Save Password?
Bottom of Page
INTL v5.0 > Site Comments > Archives > Archived Forums > Pretension Palace: i don't like that band because you've heard of them > Buffy: The Vampire Slayer > Viewing Thread
Also Here: 1 guest. Moderated by: Amphytrite
Page: [ 1 2 ] [ Thread Views: 2818 | Total Posts: 25 ]
Rate This Thread: Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Ballkicks: (+456 / -62)
Reg. Date: Apr 2003
(Originally posted on: 10-31-04 01:05:55 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I guess I should start off by stating that yeah; I'm a closet Buffy fan.

I've actually been considering buying some disk-sets of some seasons, but they're a bit pricey. That and they're just plain embarrassing to buy at a store; I'd have to pay someone else to go do it for me, like a middle-school kid getting a hobo to buy him booze.

So does anyone actually own any of these? Are any of them worth buying?
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent
Links: 0 A.D., Heaven Games, Something Awful.
Pertti Susilainen
Head Priest

mr. sukkit

Ballkicks: (+924 / -57)
Reg. Date: Dec 2002
Reply 1 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 09:04:43 AM)
Edit Post | Edit History | Send PM | Change Title | Reply w/Quote | Report Post | Ignore | Show All Posts

I used to like Buffy, but I think after the first two seasons it all lost quality. I guess the concept itself can't really spread throughout all those seasons without being repetitive or simply stupid. It seems every season is less about "I'm Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and more about "Oh look at me I'm the vampire slayer but I have many personal problems, I'm so sad."

So no, I never bought any Buffy material.
-Ne con ic noht singan
-Hwre u meaht singan
Unmotivated

My G-d is offended by the letter o.

Ballkicks: (+61 / -14)
Reg. Date: Oct 2003
Reply 2 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 10:04:27 AM)

My sister owns many of the sets. I'm not sure what kind of special features there are on them, but you get the benefit of being able to sit down and watch an entire season from start to end, which is a bit of continuity you don't get with repeats. If you're going to buy some, I'd recommend season 2.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

How long until this becomes my new title let's count the seconds

Ballkicks: (+1019 / -241)
Reg. Date: Nov 2003
Reply 3 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 01:37:06 PM)

I haven't bought any of the seasons on DVD yet, but I do intend to; for the 7 years it was on the air BtVS was my favourite show, though I agree that in the last 2 years the quality suffered greatly. It probably should have really ended with the season 5 finale "The Gift", though then we wouldn't have gotten the oustanding season 6 musical episode "Once More, With Feeling".

I felt the series finale was a total cop-out, because after 7 years who was it to save the world? Spike and Willow. G. A. H.

I hate Marti Noxon.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

and i said, a\re you a gay ass fucker who can't take a baseball up the ass you faggot???? and he said yes........

Reply 4 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 07:13:08 PM)

I probably liked Seasons 2 and 3 the best. One was them trying to get comfortable and was a bit awkward. Four and Five had really lame bad guys ( Adam and Glory respectively ). Six had that really good musical episode,  but was the whole Anya/Xander wedding mixed with Willow's drug problem, sorry, magic problem made it too stupid . Then Seven took way too long to end. They really milked the season finale plotline to the point where it seemed to start only part way through the season; though on the opposite end of the spectrum is Angel whose entire series finale plot only started half way through the second to last episode.
~British[/whisper] Agent
[whisper]"Plan B. Still breathing? Now we gotta make the best of it, improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, shit happens, I Ching, whatever man, we gotta roll with it."
- Vincent

This reply was last edited on 10-31-04 09:09:30 PM by Sunn O))).
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 5 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 07:20:04 PM)

Seasons 2 and 3 were my favourite as well, it really hit it's stride then. Some of my favourite episodes are "Passion", "Innocence", "Surprise" and "Becoming" (Parts 1 and 2), which are all from the second season. I think after the gang graduated from Sunnydale High there was a little confusion as to what to do with the show. The college thing was a bit weird, and then we find Buffy in later seasons getting random part time jobs, and seriously you'd think she could have found something she was better at, like oh I don't know teaching self-defense classes or gymnastics.
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 6 of 25 (Originally posted on: 10-31-04 08:17:47 PM)

The episodes about the double-meat palace actually pretty funny though, if nothing else. 

EDIT: Are you serious, that's a spoiler?
~British[/whisper] Agent
- Vincent

This reply was last edited on 10-31-04 10:16:07 PM by ba.
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 7 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 12:33:45 PM)

Something that aired over a year ago is NOT a spoiler.
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 8 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 12:42:22 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:
 The episodes about the double-meat palace actually pretty funny though, if nothing else. 

EDIT: Are you serious, that's a spoiler?

How could that be a spoiler and Kayte's ruination of the season finale not be one?

Also, my brother has every DVD set that has come out.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 9 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 02:38:26 PM)

It's because neither of them are spoilers. If something has already aired on television, it's your own goddamn fault if you didn't watch it before you read the thread. Especially when the thing he said not only is in no way a major plot point, but is also from season 6, which aired 2 years ago and is out on DVD. Clearly Sunny doesn't know what a spoiler actually is.
Imperialist
League of Worthless Posters
[sarcasm]few words[/sarcasm]

Ballkicks: (+268 / -153)
Reg. Date: May 2002
Reply 10 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 03:03:30 PM)

Hey, the season 5 finale is on tomorrow on Norwegian TV for the first time thanks for ruining it UR THE GHEYEST PERSNO EVAR SNDAMIT!!1
LOL IM SUCH A FAG!!
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 11 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 03:10:39 PM)

Quoted from kayte:
It's because neither of them are spoilers. If something has already aired on television, it's your own goddamn fault if you didn't watch it before you read the thread. Especially when the thing he said not only is in no way a major plot point, but is also from season 6, which aired 2 years ago and is out on DVD. Clearly Sunny doesn't know what a spoiler actually is.

Well better safe than sorry, you know?

Quote:
Hey, the season 5 finale is on tomorrow on Norwegian TV for the first time thanks for ruining it

BUFFY DIES 

On a different note, I do believe that they're doing something, like a TV mini-series to cap off Angel.
~British[/whisper] Agent
- Vincent
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 12 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 03:35:37 PM)

Quoted from British Agent:

On a different note, I do believe that they're doing something, like a TV mini-series to cap off Angel.

From what I understand, Joss Whedon intends to create an Angel Mini-Series, much in the same way as Farscape, however, he is currently producing/directing Serenity, so the mini-series probably wont be out for some time.
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
wheezy
The Reel RS Krew
Lord Handsome

The next time you wanna call a coon a nigger, call that spearchucker a jungle bunny instead. I know, I know... nigger rolls off the tongue so easy, but there is a world of rarely used racial slurs that we need to start utilizing. White power!

Ballkicks: (+527 / -190)
Reg. Date: Dec 2001
Reply 13 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-01-04 04:29:25 PM)

Quoted from kayte:

Would you say the same applies to old movies? What about movies made in the 90's? They have been out much much longer than shit that aired on TV two years ago, and you had all the chances in the world to see it. With TV, you either see it when it first airs, or hope to catch a rerun. OR, wait until it comes out on DVD.
U CANT TRICK THE TRICKSTER

Moderator of the Proud Inside Discussions Forum.
www.uselessstatic.com
kayte
INTL Premium Member

Reply 14 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-02-04 12:37:19 AM)

Yeah I would say the same applies to old movies. See the introduction thread where OMG SUNNY TOTALLY REVEALS THAT DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER O NO MOVIE RUINED FOR ME *sigh* only not because the movies were released in the late 70s and early 80s and if you haven't seen it by now, tough cookies.

...Of course, if you want to make it so that any plot detail of anything aired any time should be spoiled for the Just In Case Factor, then just say so and I guess that'll be that. *shrug* Just decide one way or the other, if it's going to be everything spoilered no matter what, or just things that haven't aired spoilered.

EDIT:

Wikipedia feels you should spoiler everything no matter what
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler

while popular TV based messageboard Television Without Pity says once it's aired it's fair game
http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/faq.cgi?show=0&q=2070

YOU BE THE JUDGE!
This reply was last edited on 11-02-04 12:52:17 AM by kayte.
Sunn O)))
INTL Alumni
14 year RP master

Zan-beef

Ballkicks: (+761 / -127)
Reg. Date: Mar 2002
Reply 15 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-02-04 12:56:01 AM)

Kayte, Wheezy, can we continue with the topic that this thread was created for? Thank you.
sex is not 'action' it's
drama
and sometimes horror
and perhaps suspense
yes, lots of suspense
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 16 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 09:43:29 PM)

Somebody should edit the title to say there are spoilers here. Everybody can't have watched every show they might have interest in and there's no reason not to warn people about spoilers beforehand.

1: Everyone settling in
2: Very good
3: Great
4: Crap arc, fantastic stand alones.
5: Interesting arc composed of annoying characters.
6: Hit and miss. I LIKED Doublemat Palace.  Dumpster sex. 
7: Mostly crap.

ANY FAN OF BUFFY AND/OR ANGEL NEEDS TO SMACK THEMSELF IF THEY HAVEN'T SEEN FIREFLY
ba
INTL Premium Member
Captain of the Cool Kids

Reply 17 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-03-04 10:03:16 PM)

Of like the 3 Firefly episodes I saw, I loved. But I missed most of the beginning of the season, and was like, oh well, maybe I'll catch up with the story during the second season.
~British[/whisper] Agent
- Vincent
Unmotivated

Reply 18 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-04-04 12:46:35 AM)

Quoted from Pascal:
6: Hit and miss. I LIKED Doublemat Palace.

You're kidding right? I thought was the worst episode of the entire series.
Pascal
The Alpha Nerd

I love you, but why must you love the law?

Ballkicks: (+419 / -41)
Reply 19 of 25 (Originally posted on: 11-14-04 01:37:00 AM)

Dumpster sex?
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 20 of 25 (Originally posted on: 02-02-05 10:31:36 PM)

I'm curious as to what Joss Whedon will do after Serenity is done with. Personally, I think a Buffy movie will be worked on; it only makes sense, and would certainly be better than the idea of a freaking Buffy Animated Series.

I've watched Buffy on FX for the past 3 months, and I love the show. Just watched Once More With Feeling, which was so awesome - despite the relatively shitty episodes that it followed - that I was prompted to post about it in this thread. Thanks to my honey schnookums pie Pascal for telling me about Buffy coal
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 21 of 25 (Originally posted on: 02-03-05 07:01:25 PM)

I'm a gigantic Buffy & Angel fan.

My favourite Buffy season is probably season 4, as I think it had the best stand-alone classics out of all the seasons (Hush, Superstar, Something Blue) as well as starting the brilliant Spike character arc. All the seasons are fantastic, although Season 1 can be a tad painful at times...overall you can't go wrong with Buffy.

I've only seen Season 1 of Angel, and a few of the last season. I plan to buy the box sets and watch them all in order at some stage. It's the only way to go.

I saw half an episode of Firefly without actually realising I was watching it (I was playing a heavy game of Scrabble at the time and my attention was diverted). I thought to myself, 'What the fuck, is this some kind of soap opera in a cowboy spaceship...?' until I looked closely at one of the characters and saw that it was the Preacher from Season 7 of Buffy. Then the cogs started turning...

I'm keeping tabs on Whedon big time, but I thought Firefly was never going to make a comeback and finally be aired consistently down here in Australia (I suppose it isn't really consistent yet, but hey). Serenity looks interesting.
|||=|__
Unmotivated

Reply 22 of 25 (Originally posted on: 02-03-05 10:58:28 PM)

Wow, I disagree with you on so many levels.

How can you say you're a huge Angel fan when you haven't watched more than a season?

I think every season has stand alone classics, and other than Hush, I don't even think the other ones you've listed are classics. I think The Body, Once More with Feeling, Tabula Rasa, and Dopplegangland all rank higher than the other two.

Best season of Buffy has to be number 2. I can't say 4 at all, because I was fond of Riley, but didn't love him. Also, Spike was introduced in the second season, and was far cooler when he was a badass killer, rather than a wussy loveslave to Buffy.
the winged cock
they don't! thank god

Ballkicks: (+82 / -54)
Reg. Date: Jan 2003
Reply 23 of 25 (Originally posted on: 02-03-05 11:59:20 PM)

The first season of Angel was fantastic. I've probably seen 10 - 20 random episodes from the following seasons and the first 4 or 5 from the final season. All of it I have loved. All of the Angel appearances and intertwined plots with Buffy I have loved. I think this qualifies me as a huge fan, even if my encyclopaedia of knowledge on Angel isn't quite up to my Buffy standards and I haven't seen all the episodes.

Season 4 was stellar for the episodes I mentioned and the fact that it began Spike's transformation. It was pure comedy and beautiful to watch. Spike's character development was the key influence in my original enjoyment of Buffy, and is definitely one of the most potent element of the series in my opinion.

The things that make Buffy brilliant go beyond individual episodes - although these can make or break a season - the characters themselves mould the show, their progressions & evolution, etc etc. Tabula Rosa and Once More With Feeling are definitely awesome episodes. Everyone knows that. They are episodes that have immense value comedy/novelty wise as well as developing the characters and plot in interesting ways. I would also rate them above Superstar and Something Blue. I suppose I should not have stated that Season 4 had THE best, so much as SOME of the best episodes.

However, the majority of Season 6 did not appeal to me - from a purely superficial level of enjoyment I found Season 4 to be more fun. I love the scriptwriting in Buffy, and I found there were more classic moments in Season 4 than in Season 6. Spike, comedy, the other characters were truly beginning to develop in interesting ways...it was the season that begun 'the adult world'.

You see, no matter how much I try to be pseudo-intellectual about it, I come back to that. Season 4 was more fun than 6.

As for Season 2, I've never understood people's fascination with it. It's much more 'old skool' (obviously) but in my opinion it delves too much into the Angel plotline. I mean, without the Angel stuff in Season 2 I wouldn't have gotten the same enjoyment out of the following seasons, but when I go back and watch Season 2 I find it to drag. I prefer the characters as adults.

Spike was great in Season 2, yes, but he was the best by the end of Season 7. He was okay as a ghost, but I thought it was all pretty lame.

My ramblings are a mixture of superficial fan and Buffy-sympozium attendee. And in the end none of it really matters. Buffy good.

We're all entitled to our own opinions and I don't come here to argue.
|||=|__
Socrateius
Robobear 3000

homersexual

Ballkicks: (+611 / -49)
Reg. Date: Jul 2002
Reply 24 of 25 (Originally posted on: 02-09-05 10:46:26 PM)

Just saw Normal Again a second time,  the episode where Buffy gets poisoned by some demon and has visions of being in a mental institution. When I realized that non-institutional Buffy world has real things that came about after she apparently went crazy like Macintosh notebooks that an institutionalized Buffy would be cut off of contact from learning about, it kind of ruined the whole "oh god which is the real world?" thing. 

Intriguing.
HeavenGaymes hahaha gay mes

"Being tackled is fun cause its like getting a great big hug from a strong guy. You get to lose yourself in his arms...It only hurts when they let go MAGUSMAGUSMAGUSMAGUS" - Shady Milkman

"I'm not even sure if believe in abortions period...but man do I hate retards" - Dimitrios
Quick Reply
Page: [ 1 2 ] Reply to Thread | Create New Thread | Create New Poll | Convert To Poll | Subscribe To Thread
[ Thread Views: 2818 | Total Posts: 25 ]